Founders Porter - Founders Brewing Company

Founders PorterFounders Porter

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

No absence of hops gives Founders' robust porter the full flavor you deserve and expect.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-11-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Porter Alström Bros
3.05/5  rDev -28.4%

This is my first American porter, so I may not be a fair judge to the style.

A: Beautiful and dark. I didn't get any head, but the lacing clumped together and stayed throughout the glass.

S: Rich and satisfying. Smelled toffee, chocolate, burnt malts and coffee.

T: I don't think I cared for the burnt malts, but this beer has plenty of big and bold flavors. It can be a little overwhelming. Even for 6.5% ABV the alcohol stayed in the background.

M: I like beers with lower carbonation and no hops, and this one fit the bill. Just went down extremely smooth. Would swirl the beer on my tongue without ill effect.

D: A fairly easy drinking beer, but the flavors are so bold that if you don't like them, you won't be able to take this beer.

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Great balance, crisp mouthfeel. Near black color in the glass with a tan head. The aromas consists of rich coffee. Lighter in body than it's color or aroma suggest this is a very smooth drinker. This compares favorable in enjoyability with the more limited available Breakfast Stout. Excellent pour. This one is a true keeper.

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours black with a very thin tan head the disappears really quick. Aroma is coffee and vanilla with a little earthiness. Wow, the flavor is very intense and well balanced. Very enjoyable. I get coffee, a bit of chocolate, a touch of smoke, with a citrus and a little bitter in the finish. I agree with others that this is more like a top notch stout than most porters I've had, but definitely enjoyable in it's own right.

3.85/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Founders is changing my life one batch at a time. They are becoming the new all around favorite in the sessions I have here.
A- Deep coffee color with chocolate milk colored head that has nice body but dissipates quickly

S- Nutty coffee breakfast in a bottle

T- Matches the smell to a tee. Also has a malty oak finish. Not too sweet, not too dry. I might have to get a 6er for just yours truly

M- Above average but not stellar. A little puckering from its bitterness.

D- Again, above average, a little dark for my usual session taste buds but like I said earlier, founders is proving to expand my pallet exponentially so I could give it a go

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

3.25/5  rDev -23.7%

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

A dark dark brown or black body supports a thin mocha/khaki head which slowly dissipates to a scum of tasty bubbles which guards the surface of this tasty beverage.

A nutty, creamy aroma of bitter chocolate and weak coffee. Not unpleasant, but I would love for it to be bigger.

A faint sweetness gives way to the aforementioned cacao and coffee. Very pleasant. I would love to see an imperial version of this. It seems like a younger version of terrapin's wake and bake. Very nice breakfast porter... Wait??? This IS a porter???...

I know that there have been complaints about this being thin and watery, but for a porter, this is creamy, thick, and beautiful. If this were a stout, it would be thin, but for a PORTER? Freakin' awesome! And where is the booze?

I could drink this all winter long. Not too much alcohol, great taste, not too filling. Again, freakin' awesome!

Founders Porter from Founders Brewing Company