Founders Porter - Founders Brewing Company

Founders PorterFounders Porter

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-11-2003

No absence of hops gives Founders' robust porter the full flavor you deserve and expect.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 6,224 | Reviews: 1,431

3.51/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark chocolate color into a pint glass and formed a half inch cocoa-colored head that dissipated over a few seconds.

Smells artificially smokey with some malt hints.

Tastes kinda acrid in it's bitterness with the smokey flavor coming on a little too strong for my tastes.

Crisp yet heavy feeling as it swishes around the palate.

I don't care much for the taste of this one, really smokey and bitter but not in a subtle way.

4.66/5  rDev +9.4%

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.6/5  rDev +8%

Poured 12 oz into mug.

Like others have said this brew pours solid black with a thin gold/bronze head which goes away and leaves a ring with nice lacing.

Smell a bit of licorice and alcohol. Also toasted/burnt malts.

Taste exactly how I want my porters to taste. Complex flavors battle for top billing... smoke, dark chocolate, toasted grain, licorice. Delicious

mouthfeel smooth and silky.

Overall this is a damn good porter. I highly recommend and I will definitely buy again

3.25/5  rDev -23.7%

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

General: I found this at a little craft beer spot. I'm a big fan of their breakfast stout and figured that since they had the porter I should try it. I poured this out of a standard 12 oz bottle into a chalice style glass.

Appearance: Great light tan head, the color of the beer itself is black, no two ways about it. There is lovely lacing on the glass after each sip. Very nice.

Aroma: Alcoholic aroma with a touch of coffee. It's got a nice chocolate note also that is really nice. It is a pretty straight forward porter, nice and clean flavors.

Mouthfeel: On the thicker end of the style but still acceptable. I really like it. Carbonation is moderate and is very nice. There is a touch of alcohol burn to this which is ok.

Taste: Chocolate, coffee and heavy maltiness. There is a touch of alcohol too which is fine but it's not that big because it's only 6.5% ABV.

Overall: I like this, I'm not crazy about it like I am their breakfast stout but this is a pretty good porter. I'm a fan and will drink it again, if you see it and you like porters this is a good example of the style.

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

4.84/5  rDev +13.6%

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours black with a dark-brown tint when held up to the light, a beautiful light-brown, 1/4" head forms in my Sierra Nevada Hop Tulip glass. Aroma is expected-roasted and chocolate malt dominate the nose, hints of cocoa and earthy aromas.

Taste is roasty, coffee, burnt caramel, hints of dried fruit (apricot maybe?) and a clean bitter finish. Note for note, everything a porter should be. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, not too heavy which would push it into the stout porter territory, slightly dry with light carbonation.

Highly drinkable and recommended. A near perfect porter-it seems that some people are under the impression that porters should be extreme-I can understand a hopped up porter (I'm looking at you Alpha Klaus you tasty devil), but I can't understand the grain bill being upped-doesn't that make it more of a Stout Porter. Regardless, this is a near perfect porter. As Kurt Vonnegut said time and again, "if this isn't good, I don't know what is."

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

poured from 12 oz bottle into stange

A - Pours dark, almost black with a very nice 2 finger tan head with great retention. Slowly settles and leaves decent lacing

S - Mocha, chocolate, grains...nice

T - Exactly as the nose. Mocha/coffee, slight hint of chocolate, tasty malts. Warm and earthy!

M - Medium, moderate carbo, warm, lingering alcohol. Exactly as I would expect a porter to be.

O - Simply awesome. For a straight up porter its hard to beat this one I would think. I used to love this style and drifted away from it for a long time into the IPA world but I'm coming to love them again. Founders does it again! I love this brewery

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Founders Porter from Founders Brewing Company