Founders Porter - Founders Brewing Company

Founders PorterFounders Porter

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-11-2003

No absence of hops gives Founders' robust porter the full flavor you deserve and expect.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Porter Alström Bros

3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

3.75/5  rDev -12%

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

4.02/5  rDev -5.6%

A: Pours nice and black with an half inch layer of tan head at the top which dissipates quickly leaving a thin film residue.

S: Coffee, cocoa, dark roasted malty aroma.

T: Lots of dark malts. Also has a nice dark chocolate coffee flavor to it, almost tastes like a Coffee Stout but not as heavy. I let it sit in my mouth for a minute to get the full experience of this beers aromatic flavor.

M: Not as heavy as one might imagine. Thin and very smooth in the mouth.

O: it's hard to give any Founders beer a bad overall review. If you're in the mood for a nice aromatic Porter with rich flavor on a cold winters night, I think its a great choice. Overall rating is a 4. But it is definitely something I will continue to drink.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

4.21/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.12/5  rDev -26.8%

This is my first American porter, so I may not be a fair judge to the style.

A: Beautiful and dark. I didn't get any head, but the lacing clumped together and stayed throughout the glass.

S: Rich and satisfying. Smelled toffee, chocolate, burnt malts and coffee.

T: I don't think I cared for the burnt malts, but this beer has plenty of big and bold flavors. It can be a little overwhelming. Even for 6.5% ABV the alcohol stayed in the background.

M: I like beers with lower carbonation and no hops, and this one fit the bill. Just went down extremely smooth. Would swirl the beer on my tongue without ill effect.

D: A fairly easy drinking beer, but the flavors are so bold that if you don't like them, you won't be able to take this beer.

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Great balance, crisp mouthfeel. Near black color in the glass with a tan head. The aromas consists of rich coffee. Lighter in body than it's color or aroma suggest this is a very smooth drinker. This compares favorable in enjoyability with the more limited available Breakfast Stout. Excellent pour. This one is a true keeper.

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours black with a very thin tan head the disappears really quick. Aroma is coffee and vanilla with a little earthiness. Wow, the flavor is very intense and well balanced. Very enjoyable. I get coffee, a bit of chocolate, a touch of smoke, with a citrus and a little bitter in the finish. I agree with others that this is more like a top notch stout than most porters I've had, but definitely enjoyable in it's own right.

3.78/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Founders is changing my life one batch at a time. They are becoming the new all around favorite in the sessions I have here.
A- Deep coffee color with chocolate milk colored head that has nice body but dissipates quickly

S- Nutty coffee breakfast in a bottle

T- Matches the smell to a tee. Also has a malty oak finish. Not too sweet, not too dry. I might have to get a 6er for just yours truly

M- Above average but not stellar. A little puckering from its bitterness.

D- Again, above average, a little dark for my usual session taste buds but like I said earlier, founders is proving to expand my pallet exponentially so I could give it a go

Founders Porter from Founders Brewing Company