Founders Dirty Bastard - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Dirty BastardFounders Dirty Bastard

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  8.50% ABV

Brewed with 7 varieties of malt (varies over the years).

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 01-03-2003)

Campfire-Kev, Mar 31, 2014

tigervette, Oct 07, 2014
1.75/5  rDev -56.7%

Chitty54, Mar 08, 2013
1.85/5  rDev -54.2%

Smells ok and for the first couple of seconds after sipping it actually tastes pretty darn good - smooth and creamy - chocolaty! But immediately after that, it left a real nasty-paint-thinner-like-vinegary after taste. Couldn't finish bottle - I was VERY disappointed and decided to stick with mojitos the rest of the evening (Christmas Eve). Just for kicks, I decided to give it another shot today - no change - starts out super delicious to the palate, but finishes with a super vinegary bitter bite which literally makes you shake your head and wonder "WTF? What happened here you dirty bastard?" To each his/her own.

cfrivera1, Dec 25, 2010
1.95/5  rDev -51.7%

Pours cloudy reddish brown. Produces little head, even with a rough pour. Minimal fine lacing. Not much to look at.

Smells like chocolate toffee meeting asphalt in that ozone spot right when it starts raining. Some fruits, all dark and all somewhat prune-juice like, poke through. Average is a stretch.

Has that flavor that I can't quite put my finger on, but I really can't stand. For such a highly rated beer, I can't by any means figure out why. Honestly it's one step away from a drainpour. Heavy super dark fruits and warm prune juice would be a complementary way to describe the flavor.

Feel wise it's typically Scottish ale like, thick and rich, low carbonation, not bad at all.

Drinks horrible. Will not seek out, recommend, or buy.

It's not just the style as I rated Bellhaven wee heavy quite highly. Something about this beer stands out as "I hate it." I'm sure it's not a bad bottle, but hey, I'm rating both to style and to my tastes, and this just plain tastes terrible. Sorry founders, I like some of your stuff but not this one.

AlCaponeJunior, Dec 16, 2010

DJoe, Jul 27, 2014

WraythOsu, Jun 07, 2014

Mudawg, Feb 29, 2012

SickNukes, May 18, 2012

Why does this remind me of an old ale? Stale malts with caramel sweetness and only a mild bittering hop presence.

This is not impressing me right now.

Medium full body is lacking carbonation and feels slightly gritty.

Overall, what the hell is going on here? I love backwoods bastard, and this is terrible. This is like a strange old ale or aged barleywine. There is a boozy bite on the finish that is off-putting as well. Me no likey.

The beer looks murky rust colored reddish brown. Quite brackish and cloudy. Almost no head. Looks dull and lifeless.

AleWatcher, Oct 09, 2011

Azpittil57, Jul 14, 2013

mlplus, May 23, 2014

mcmeekin91, Oct 16, 2012

jham915, Jul 06, 2013

C63AMG, Apr 02, 2012

dheldman, Nov 18, 2014
2.15/5  rDev -46.8%

I picked this up at the jungle in Fairfield, OH. This is a super malty brew. It seemed to me the alcohol was far more prominent. This was way to strong in my opinion and I will not be purchasing this angain. The Founder's Red Rye is a far superior offering and much more balanced and enjoyable.

pumarocks, Mar 28, 2008
2.2/5  rDev -45.5%

LakersGotRings, Oct 28, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -44.3%

callieokc, Jul 07, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -44.3%

terence, Mar 24, 2014
2.33/5  rDev -42.3%

Is this one of those beers that I should pretend to like? Afterall, it has a high ABV, it's a dark burnt amber in color, and the label/name is cool. The name is actually quite accurate in my opinion...tastes dirty. The smell is truly horrendous. If you let it sit for a few minutes and let the fumes build up in the glass before you take a wiff, wow, it is not pleasant. I think that's what did it for me: the smell. It's a hard to drink beer, but you plunge through it because you paid $10 for a sixer. It would be a challenge to choke down more than one of these tonight. As I work my way to the bottom, the smell is seeming to dissipate somewhat, which helps a tad on drinkability. Sorry, this will never be in my fridge again. I think I'll go have the Samichlaus I've been saving for 2 years.

Gruntlumber, Oct 08, 2009