Founders Dirty Bastard - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Dirty BastardFounders Dirty Bastard

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  8.50% ABV

Brewed with 7 varieties of malt (varies over the years).

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 01-03-2003)
zimm421

4.18/5  rDev +3.5%

Served in a standard pint glass; appears a rich, amber color, with a nice red tint as well. Has a thick tan head, good retention and some decent lacing.

Smells strongly of caramel, and roasted malts. The taste is full of rich malts and caramel as well as some smokey flavors. The alcohol flavors fit in well, and the hops become noticeable at the finish.

The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with below average carbonation. This is not overly easy to drink, partially because of the high levels of carbonation, but also because of how complex it is. Something about it makes it difficult to go down at times, but it is definitely a great beer, and enjoyable.

07-17-2010 16:14:52 | More by zimm421
JackieTH

4.28/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a inviting ruby red. Dirty, of course, with a light orange foam head that dissipates quickly.

Dried fruits, subtle caramel, roasted malts and a warning shot of alcohol waft from the pint glass to greet the nose, inviting you to challenge the Dirty Bastard.

Palate is quite complex, but not at all angry [see: Backwoods Bastard]. Here I'm getting definite quantities of malt, roasted caramelized sweetness, subtle peat, smoke, dried figs and other dark fruit, american oak, all nicely balanced with bitter hop integrated in a satin smooth mouthfeel with just the right amount of carbonation and a subtle warming reminder through and through of the 8.5% ABV.

It's outstanding. Right now this is my go to Scotch Ale. I'd like to say it's by go to beer, but let's not forget it's 8.5% ABV.

07-16-2010 17:41:43 | More by JackieTH
Bouleboubier

4.28/5  rDev +5.9%

I feel with more experience with this it's marks will rise in my book. Had it again for the first time last week and all I was tasting was straight-up barley malt concentrate and alcohol.

Tonight, poured one into a snifter and let the thing sit for a good 10-12 minutes. Shows a deep, murky, ruby red with an average-looking finger-width head that don't last long. With sticky condensation on the outside of the glass, I took a sip after eating a quick small meal of egg and toast and, heeeyyyy, this IS pretty choice. Let it warm up.

Smelling and tasting a crafty mix of an almost-barleywine malt foundation and dark cherry. Throw in a touch of bitter in the finish and an actually stealth presence of alcohol and it's quite enjoyable. Solid body, goes down clean, not much left behind.

I'm not sure what the deal was previously. I f'n love me a wee heavy but the one I had last week was cloying on the burn. So, I guess be warned - it could happen to you. Let it adjust to the room a good spell and it's a treat.

07-16-2010 04:37:05 | More by Bouleboubier
ksimons

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

A-pours an amber brown with a half inch foam head that leaves a bit of lacing around the top

S-the smell is really nice, malty, sweet, raisins, and a bit of alcohol warming all mixed together

T-similar to the smell, very malty, the sweetness comes out in the middle but is not overbearing, and there is a bit of a hop finish in the end to add to the complexities of this beer

M-full body, medium carbonation, very rich

D-excellent beer, I could drink this again and again

07-07-2010 01:54:29 | More by ksimons
wac9

3.03/5  rDev -25%

i love scottish ale but this is just too high in alcohol . the taste lingers in thoart too long , even after you stop drinking it if want to wake up in the morning , not remembering the night before drink this beer, but it not a plasant time , if you love a good beer and great taste , then skip this beer ,

06-27-2010 01:38:42 | More by wac9
UncleanBastard

Missouri

4.55/5  rDev +12.6%

A: Dark ruby amber

S: Some Hops coming up but mostly Quintessence and Ether. This is a spiritual brew, dammit.

T: I can't describe how much i love this beer. I created an account here just to review this beast. This beer evolves as you drink it in my opinion, not just a little but a lot. Sometimes it is almost overbearing in its strange hoppiness and the residual flavors coming off the scotch barrel's are quite complex. It seems to mellow out and allow its real flavor out the longer it sits in the glass. I always savor the last drink, as it reminds me of a quad or dark Belgian. Flavors for me range from vanilla, oaky, slight peetiness, delicious brownies and pure heavenly sugar. This beer is a beast and should be locked in a cage.

M: The mouthfeel can be slightly drying. There are just so many flavors that it's hard to put my finger on them on all there effects. Sometimes this beer refreshes me, and sometimes it feels like it could kill me at any second. Be sweet to this beer or beware.

D: I could drink this everyday but i want to watch my kids grow up. I really like this beer and would recommend it to anyone. In fact I do. A good kick back beer, really not a slammer but most the beers on this site are not chuggers. BEST SCOTCH STYLE ALE I'VE HAD !! Thanks Founders !!!
First review so maybe I have nothing to bring to the table. I just wanted documentation that I LOVE this beer.

06-26-2010 23:10:49 | More by UncleanBastard
decadance

4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

A - Brownish with more ruby accents. Half inch head at first pour with some retention. Minimal lacing.

S - Caramelized and toasted Malts are the dominant smell, along with some nuttiness.

T - Very good. Reminds me of Bell's Batch 9000 but without being overly sweet. Starts off sweet, but finishes more subtle. If there is 8.5abv in there, I can't find it.

M - Very light and enjoyable. The carbonation is spot on.

D - While it says 8.5 now, I don't where it is. Certainly not sessionable, but could easily enjoy a couple of these.

06-25-2010 20:21:43 | More by decadance
scoobybrew

3.93/5  rDev -2.7%

A - ruby amber color, slight haze from bottle conditioning thick head with good retention

S - rich caramel malt with a touch of yeast esters, minor oxidation noticed

T - rich malt from start to finish with caramel the primary flavor, hops aren't noticeable until the very finish: beer is definitely malty sweet but not cloying;; spicy alcoholic flavors and warming is noticed

M - medium-to-full body with moderate carbonation

D - This is a decent American interpretation of the style, but just doesn't match up to the authentic versions in my opinion. The alcohol flavors aren't as smooth and the hops are more prominent on the finish/aftertaste. That said, it's a good beer and I would drink it again (and also, this is not my first tasting of this beer).

06-21-2010 22:48:07 | More by scoobybrew
DuffManOhYeah

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

This was one of the first beers I ever fell in love with. I've had the honor of having it on tap at Founders and also in the bottle. I prefer the bottle, but that's just me. Better during winter months for its warming features.

A- A beautiful beer to look at. Pours a deep amber with a fairly thick head that likes to linger.

S- Nice and malty like any Scotch Ale, with somewhat of a coffee and chocolate smell as well

T- Like a party in your mouth. A tasty blend of nutty coffee and some chocolate with some cinnamon too. The alcohol is apparent but not over-powering-- you would never guess it was over 8% ABV. Very well-balanced and warming

M- Surprisingly light and smooth for how much alcohol is in it.

D- The beauty and taste of this beer make it highly drinkable-- which means you just have to be careful because it's high in alcohol

06-20-2010 21:32:37 | More by DuffManOhYeah
Spica66

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

Extra from gogriz trade. Thanks, Cody!

A: Orange/amber color. Excellent head retention.

S: Light, malty. Virtually no hoppyness or alcohol.

T: Very nice. Just what I expected from the color and smell. Malty, slightly sweet. Nothing unexpected for the style. Can't even begin to taste the 8.3%.

M: Very smooth, medium carbonation fits in great.

D: The lightness of the body of this beer, coupled with the great taste, make this very drinkable.

06-20-2010 19:33:10 | More by Spica66
sluggermatt15

4.2/5  rDev +4%

A- Pours an amber color. Orangish when held up to the light. The only thing I didn't like was during the pour, a large foam head formed and it took a few minutes to lessen. Overall, above average.

S- Malts, some sweetness present. A pleasant smell. Can't really sense the alcohol by smelling this one, which is a good thing.

T- Malts, fruits, sweets. Not strong and not too alcoholy. Great taste here. Just a touch of wateryness prevents it from being a 5.

M- Small carbonation and a little bitterness. Nothing really deterring.

D- Nice drinkability. Could have a few, but not a pound it down type of beer.

This was my first Scottish Ale style beer and I overly enjoyed it. Definitely a different style than I've had. This one sort of reminds me of Yuengling, but not as watery, and it has a better taste.

Being a craft beer fan, I had to try this one.

06-19-2010 16:30:56 | More by sluggermatt15
DAllspaw

4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

on tap at restaurant from generic founders tap puller and listed on board as Founders Scotch.

This one is malt lovers delight. I expected more viscosity from the head and color but was not too heavy, just perfect actually. The head on this beer lingered for the full twenty minutes it took me to finish it.

Taste was all malt, caramel, toffee but nothing too burnt or coffee like. Not quite as good as FFF Robert the Bruce, but darn close. Really enjoyed this, even sitting outside on hot night.

06-18-2010 18:05:56 | More by DAllspaw
Phillyphilms

Bottle into pint glass

A- Once poured this beer exploded. A GIANT head filled the top fifth of the glass and after a minute still was a two finger head. Its color is a dark brown becoming lighter in color and more translucent as it lowers down the glass. Lacing was really nice as it sunk.

S- Not an incredibly strong nose but a light malt with some fruit and almond or toffee.

T- Lots of upfront malt with a silky finish that shows off its 8.5 abv yet has enough hops to balance that abv down to smooth. Still slides down nicely and leaves little behind. Some dark fruit and malt dominates this but the creaminess of the caramel or toffee.. whatever I can't peg lends this an even easier drinking brew.

F- medium to heavy mouthfeel. Thickens as it drinks yet fades just as quick after the swallow. The alcohol, although not overwhelming, is surely an open participant in the discussion but I think the higher IBU's makes this a nice marriage.

D- I typically like if not love most things that come from Founders and this is no exception. A great example of a well balanced and interesting Scotch Style Ale that may not be an all night drinker but sliding one in when you can is a good idea.

RESPECT

06-17-2010 04:15:54 | More by Phillyphilms
beerwolf77

Wisconsin

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

Picked up a growler of this from Timers. Shared it with my main drinking partner Andy.

Poured into my duvel tulip the beer is a cloudy chestnut brown. Four fingers of light khaki head burst to the top of my glass. No carb issue with the day old growler. Thick chunks of lace cling to the glass.

The aroma has a robust roast caramel malt backbone. Dark fruits, chocolate, toasted bread, and light spices make for a fantastic nose.

The flavor is more of the same. Rich roast caramel malt with sugar drizzled dark fruit. Cinnamon toast and hints of chocolate. Maybe just atouch of nuts in the finish.

Medium to full bodied. Very creamy with modest carbonation.

Overall a another awesome beer from Founders. This growler shouldn't last long

06-17-2010 01:59:46 | More by beerwolf77
kwjd

Ontario (Canada)

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours a amber-brown colour with a small white head. Smells very sweet of cherry, caramel and raisons. Tastes incredibly sweet, with some mild bitterness to it. Lots of fruit in the flavour, which works very well for this. Very nice carbonation, very smooth. I had no idea how strong this was when I ordered it, but didn't realize it was over 8% abv. I could drink a lot of this.

06-14-2010 01:25:29 | More by kwjd
HopNuggets

Connecticut

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured 12oz bottle into Chimay glass. I need to say that Founders cannot do anything wrong. I have not had a single bad brew from Founders. I've had a few before and though the body would be good for my Chimay goblet. It works better than a snifter in my opinion.

A - Poured a deep crimson red/maroon/reddish brown with a 1 finger off white head that dissipates to a patchy cover that leaves an amazing lacing down the goblet.

S - Sweet dried fruit (plums, prunes and dates mostly). Molasses sweetness with heavy malt presence. Definite alcohol esters.

T - Sweetness and a bit tart with some hop presence that is taken over with malt. A bit hot upfront and all the way through and after and down into the throat and stomach. Earthy and woody in there at the end as well. It's scotch you know.

M - Slight carbonation, hot, light body for the deepness in color, more of an alcohol body resemblance. Very nice.

D - 1 or 2 is good but you can't drink all 6 in 1 sitting. Nice for a Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy.

06-12-2010 01:24:48 | More by HopNuggets
Tucquan

3.98/5  rDev -1.5%

Had this on 2010-06-11 in Lynchburg, VA. Had it again on 2012-01-10 in Columbia, PA. Revised my comments and upped the score a bit.

A - Cloudy mahogany with a 1/2-finger tan head and moderate lacing.

S - Dried bing cherries, ginger and peaty malt

T - Dark dried cherry, medium and earthy roasted grain, chocolate, light butterscotch, just a touch of licorice, tannins, moderate hop bitterness but no citrus. Glad it isn't too sweet. Alcohol is apparent but complimentary.

M - Medium-heavy body and light carbonation. Moderately creamy yet sharp on the mid tongue.

O - A good tasting wee heavy. I prefer their stouts but certainly enjoy this as a nice change of pace.

06-12-2010 01:18:35 | More by Tucquan
caddybuyer

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A-Slightly hazy marachino cherry with a thick creamy tan head. Devine.

N-Rich barleywine-like malts with cherry, chocolate, rum soaked figs and rock n' rye all vying for a spot.

T-Ka Pow! an explosion of creamy malt goodness in a cornucopia of flavors. The nose carries well into the taste, with some pear and walnut flavors present along with earthy peat and crushed fall leaves. Each sip brings out a nuance, and this is one to be savored. This is utterly superb.

M-Rich and creamy with well balanced carbonation. Spot on.

D-One of those brews that is definately a "must try" and a "must have" There will always be a place for this in my cellar. I could drink this all night, and can't imagine anyone not enjoying it.

06-11-2010 22:44:46 | More by caddybuyer
tlazaroff

3.43/5  rDev -15.1%

Poured into a pint glass from bottle. Upon first appearance this looked a bit cloudy to me, but that cleared up pretty fast. Its actually quite opaque but a dark shade of red makes it look cloudy.

Not much on the nose: mostly malty goodness, no hops

Tastes good! It has a strong malty/syrupy backbone which hides the 50 IBU nicely.

One of the better Scotch Ales I have had, as I haven't had many and am not a huge fan of the ones that I have had. I'd buy it again if I wanted something a bit sweet. I like it better than Weizenbocks.

06-09-2010 23:13:51 | More by tlazaroff
Darien

3.95/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured into a pint glass and was greeted with a 1 finger thick white head that quickly disappeared. Light amber color. Smells pretty sweet right upfront with a pretty evident caramel smell. Tastes moderately sweet with definite notes of caramel malts, also lightly fruity tasting with some vanilla in there to. Hops are there to but not to evident. Very nice creamy smooth mouthfeel. A very pleasant beer and the alcohol is hidden nicely behind layers of flavors.

06-09-2010 22:56:53 | More by Darien
magine

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured into a nonic glass.

Pours a dark amber/red, near brown color. Has ruby highlights. Has a light tan head, with nice lace. The head settles to a lace island.

Brew smells of caramel malt, slight hops, some rich malts; chocolate, nut, fruits. Complex nose.

Brew tastes very malty; dark fruit, caramel, chocolate. Has a floral hop noticed in the bitter finish. Starts crisp and somewhat sweet, smooth dry slightly bitter finish. The alcohol flavor is hidden well, but shows up as the brew warms.

This is a very, very drinkable scotch ale. And at 8.5% it could sneek up on you. A very tasty scotch ale. The only drawback was the head retention, but maybe its because I used a nonic glass.

06-07-2010 23:03:19 | More by magine
Bung

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

12 oz. For some reason I've not rated this one. Have had draft and bottle many times.
Fairly dark amber-brown pour with a good layer of cream colored bubbles.

A malty aroma, accented with caramel, toffee, vanilla and an ashy woodiness.

Taste has a bunch of malt and toffee, but there is a smokey peat or burnt toast that really keeps it in check nicely. Vanilla, oak, finishes with some of the char and faint hop bitterness.

Slightly warming, but really no alcohol presence. Medium body with a coating stickiness to it, but not syrupy as it goes away cleanly.

One of the first I had of the style, had no idea those years back that this would be one of the best for the style.

06-07-2010 03:01:48 | More by Bung
russellaaron69

West Virginia

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured a dark amber, almost ruby, into my pint glass with about a finger of white head. Not much carbonation. Decent lacing left behind. Smelled of sweet toated malt. Definite aroma of caramel and slight chocolate coming through. Taste was on par with the aroma...sweet maltiness with notes of caramel and chocolate. I picked up a hint of dark fruit also. Very full mouthfeel with a long lingering after taste. This beer was extremely easy to drink and I throughly enjoyed every sip. I'll definitely be keeping a six pack of this in the fridge from here on out.

06-05-2010 22:31:36 | More by russellaaron69
DovaliHops

4.4/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours a dark brownish-red color with a small white head. Looks kinda creamy. When putting nose to beer, I pick up hints of banana, sweet malts, booze, and candy sugars. This smells like it's gonna be a very sweet beer. After tasting it, it is not nearly as sweet as I thought it would be. More hoppiness than I expected as well. Not nearly as boozy as it smelt either. Very tasty brew tho. I get a lot of dark fruits and a slight scotch taste. Delicious! Very nice, creamy mouthfeel. I could probably have two or three of these in one sitting. Good beer overall.

06-02-2010 05:32:24 | More by DovaliHops
Cylinsier

3.95/5  rDev -2.2%

12 oz.

Pours a hazy cherrywood red with slim off-white head that dissipates fairly quickly to lacing and holds there.

Smells of rich malts, faint floral hops, and maple.

Tastes mildly hoppy with sweet malts in the finish. The hops come back in the aftertaste.

Feels moderate to thin with mild carbonation as it goes down.

Hides its alcohol well. I've had Scotch Ales I've liked more than this one, but it is good and worth trying. Just wish it was a little fuller in the mouth.

05-31-2010 22:30:36 | More by Cylinsier