Founders Dirty Bastard - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Dirty BastardFounders Dirty Bastard

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  8.50% ABV

Brewed with 7 varieties of malt (varies over the years).

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 01-03-2003)
3.75/5  rDev -7.2%

12 oz. bottle with illegible bottling date poured into a New Belgium snifter on 16/12/2010. Judging by how aggressive this particular beer was, and because it's one of Founders flagship beers, I would guess that it wasn't too old.

Appearance 3/5
Molten copper and rusty hued with a medium tan head. Medium retention and lacing, and lots of disgusting chunks!

Aroma 4/5
A very delicious aroma comprising of caramel, toast, perfumy alcohol, dessert. Much like Scotch whisky, with bready beerness to it.

Taste 4/5
Flavorful and aromatic with the same notes that were present in the aroma, but a tad too bitter and astringent from roasted barley/malts, I am assuming. Fairly roasty and cleansing finish but some sweetness manages to linger. Fruity flavors in the after breath that are akin to Scotch. Quite astringent towards the end, but without the wood.

Mouthfeel 3/5
Low carbonation, which is proper; the body is thinner than what I'd like. A stronger body and sweetness are terribly needed in my opinion.

Drinkability 3.5/5
Not bad, but the malt complexity wavers, faced with strong, one-dimensional roastiness.

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

A: mahogany.. Half finger of offwhite head.. Leaves nice lace..

S: chocolate, sweet malts, woody notes, scotch characteristics.. Caramel/toffee..

T: sweetness upfront. Toffee/caramel is present.. Some woody notes that remind me of scotch.. Small booze detection.. Finish has a quick pine bitterness, almost grassy with some chocolate present..

MF/D: good mf with great carbonation.. Just a bit chewy mf.. The abv is very well hidden & makes this very drinkable..

I didn't think I'd like this beer all too much, but damn do I like this beer a lot!

3.53/5  rDev -12.6%

Poured from the bottle in to a thistle/tulip glass resembling and looking identical to characteristics of it's Backwards Bastard cousin, dark nut brown with red hues, almost guinness like bubbles of tiny quality. Minimal lacing, with possibly being slightly darker than Backwoods.

Smell is quite closed and muted. Not much going on, clean though, and a faint first whiff mostly of grass and a soapy quality. That seems odd for a scotch ale? There is some malt, but then also strangely enough some cumin.

Taste is alright, slight fainted smoke, tobacco and ashen in the finish. No biscuity chew, and little malt on the taste to speak of it seems.

Not that keen on having another one, but I know I've had worse scotch ales...

I am actually re reviewing this because I've had this with a cleaner palate without tasting another beer (Backwoods) before hand. My grade is definitely too low on this for this one, and I found other things on it after trying it again without tasting it's Backwoods cousin first. I could drink this no problem anytime.

3.25/5  rDev -19.6%

A: Dark, dark red color, almost into abyss territory, with about a half to one finger head that lasted about 10 seconds until it withered away to nothing. After a while I started to see that this was a mildly cloudy brew.

S: Butterscotch, caramel, a tinge of salt, a good bit of dark malt, and some sweet bread or fresh cake smell. There was also a hint of booze.

T: Not as good as the smell because of the booze. The alcohol killed some of the wonderful dessert-like notes that I got on the nose.

M: Very thick, almost into barleywine territory. The carbonation was low, which paved the way to a much boozier taste IMO. The sugary elements lingered quite a bit (which I kind of liked), but the lacing was non-existent and I found it impossible to summon up another head, even after twirling the glass.

D: Admittedly, this is not my favorite style in the world, but I do truly love the bourbonized version of this one, "Backwoods Bastard."

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

Pint glass at Founder's

Pours a dark chestnut amber brown with a tan beige head that left decent lacing.

The smell is fairly dominated by the roasted malts and chocolate with alcohol also a little noticeable.

Great flavor! Chocolate malts, bourbon and a touch of caramel can be picked up quickly. The alcohol gives this beer a kick and hangs on in the end, but in a pleasing fashion.

Medium to thick body with light carbonation.

This beer is quite enjoyable. I don't believe I have rated one out of the bottle yet, but I have had several six packs. It was great to have it on tap.

3.05/5  rDev -24.5%

A. Pours a deep, hazy, amber color with a reddish hue. I poured aggressively and still wasn't able to get much head from this one.

S. The smell is smoky, and sweet with just the slightest hints of wet cardboard and something sour.

T. Smooth and dull, the taste is bready and dry. It is malty and bready up front, and a little smoky in the finish with a noticeable hop bitterness through the middle.

M. Medium mouthfeel and chewier than I expected. This beer seems to have so little carbonation it is almost flat.

D. While there is nothing offensive about this beer, there is nothing memorable either. On a positive note, the 8.5% ABV is well hidden.

3.83/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured into a large DFH Snifter (number 7 in a series of tastings for the 2010 Holiday).

A dark brown ale with amber edges- very little head that morphed in seconds to very thin lace, foamy on the edges. Lace lasted nicely and clung well to the glass during consumption.

Amazing smells- dried apricot, toffee, caramel- sweet dried fruits dominate, finishing with sweet malt/molasses. Tastes even more complex- rasins, figs, butterscotch, and malt. The alcohol is noticeable on the edges. Thick and chewy- and I never thought I would use that word to rate an ale. It fits with this one!

This brew feels full, but a bit on the flat side. Complex, but a good warmer on a winter day. Not sure I'd have more than a few.

1.85/5  rDev -54.2%

Smells ok and for the first couple of seconds after sipping it actually tastes pretty darn good - smooth and creamy - chocolaty! But immediately after that, it left a real nasty-paint-thinner-like-vinegary after taste. Couldn't finish bottle - I was VERY disappointed and decided to stick with mojitos the rest of the evening (Christmas Eve). Just for kicks, I decided to give it another shot today - no change - starts out super delicious to the palate, but finishes with a super vinegary bitter bite which literally makes you shake your head and wonder "WTF? What happened here you dirty bastard?" To each his/her own.

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

Bought 12-17-10 at Beverage Source as part of a Mix Six.

Didn't see any dating, but then again, I didn't want to look, it's Christmas Eve, and I've been cooking :P

Poured into my Unibroue tulip.

A: Pours a ruby highlighted mahogany, 1 1/2 finger head that leaves nice lacing and settles fairly quick into a small ring. Retention on the lacing is fantastic for the ABV of this beer.

S: Roast malt, toast, caramel, peat, smoke, oak, plum, raisin, and a little floral hop. Very nice.

T: Very pronounced caramel malt and roast, followed by toffee, toast, smoke, and the peat. A little heat from the alcohol, and a slight lingering bitterness.

M: Smooth, medium bodied, and decent carbonation. Right down the middle.

D: Fair. If the alcohol was hidden just a little bit better, this one would be a great after dinner beer. Otherwise, it is pretty easy to drink if you can stomach the heat from the alcohol.

This one is a good beer, I had it previously and didn't review it, and I liked it then. I like it now. This is one of the better beers I've had from Founders, and one I'll buy again. Good beer to buy for a guest over for dinner, and a lot cheaper than scotch :)

3.98/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured from the 12oz bottle into a Maudite snifter. Body is a pretty orange-amber color with a small ring of off-white head. Aroma of sweet caramel malt with a bit of roast character, lots of sweet, dark fruit, and a good whiff of alcohol.
Palate is malt-forward, lots of caramel and a touch of burnt brown sugar up front. A little roast character and some mild fruity hops temper the malt assault. Notes of figs and/or plums and more burnt brown sugar on the swallow. Finish is a nice lingering sweetness with a good bit of boozy heat.
Body is rich and very creamy, which is surprising, but in a good way. Maybe not entirely appropriate for the style, but good nonetheless. Nicely drinkable, but not exactly a session beer. At this strength, that's a good thing, too. Like all other Founder's beers I've tried, this is definitely a solid offering.

4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

Finally got some of this in at work -- $9.99 for a six-pack, $8.99 with a coupon. I've heard this is the best of the "Bastard" lineup.

A: Poured a 12oz bottle into a nice sized brandy snifter. At first, the beer appears to be rather amber, and a lot lighter than I anticipated, however, as the ale settles it becomes darker and denser. Colors of deep burnt chocolate, and rich mahogany define the ale, with a nice off-white lacing that rounds out the head.

S: Initially, very closed. I don't get too much more than just the basic roasted malt, there is a bread-like aroma, and a hint of toffee as well. As the ale warmed, more aromas started to surface giving off smells of roasted almonds, cocoa powder, and salted toffee.

T&M: Can't wait -- the first sip shows caramelized malt, with some dried fruit on the mid-palate, cherries or stone fruit to be specific. There is a nice little burn on the finish, the high alcohol showing. Sweet and warming, with a mouthfeel that is very similar to cream soda --definitely some hints of wintergreen and other herbs found in a standard root beer. Nice, but very well hidden. I had a hard time pinpointing exactly what was going on in the glass.

I like this beer -- I think it is definitely one of the best that I've tasted for the style, but the overall qualities are vague and hard to describe or ascertain. Skullsplitter will always and forever be my favorite, but this is an excellent brew by a well-established brewery. I'll look forward to this in years to come, and certainly see how well it ages over the next year.

I revisited this beer again -- leaving it at room temperature and serving it accordingly, makes a huge difference. It is much more aromatic and the flavor really comes to light. I wouldn't recommend serving this chilled or directly out of the fridge.

4.63/5  rDev +14.6%

12 oz bottle. RI Beervana spoils, so its a few months old and the hops will likely have eased off.

A. half finger tan head, deep red. clear but with lots of sediment that i wasn't expecting, should have checked.
S. i can smell caramel malt and alcohol from across the table. bit of pineapple in the nose, but lots of caramel.
T. caramel again, dark chocolate. like a dark chocolate caramel candy bar. hops are nearly imperceptible. more chocolate on the finish, but not much bitterness. delicious!
M. Not much carbonation, but it cleans up on the finish well. medium bodied over all, very silky.
D. mmmm, very sip-able. I hope i have more of this. I think the couple months of age really mellowed the huge alcohol that others mentioned. I will definitely seek this out in future. My only question is whether this is appropriate as a scotch ale. this has distinct porter characteristics, which differ greatly from the other other scotch ales that i've had. And yes, i know the difference between the scottish ales and scotch ale.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Beautiful auburn brown with an off-white head. Smells of smoke and malts. Alcohol is very present. Lots of malt presence with a bit of hops as well. Smokiness is there, but could be more prominent. Thinner than expected, but plenty of carbonation to compromise. Bit heavy body in the long run. Drinks a bit heavier than it's ABV.

2.68/5  rDev -33.7%

I'll compare it to 'other' scotch ales, it looks good, smells decent, mouthfeel is subpar, it's too carbonated for the style, alchohol is noticable, taste is initally sweet with a dry finish and a bite of somethng I can't identify. Guess my preference in a scotch ale is silky mouthfeel, malty raisen-y toffee and low alchohol. I love alot of founders ales but this one wasn't one of them.

3.45/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a thin looking deep brown - maroon with almost pinkish hues on the edges. No head or lacing until I kept swirling (which also brought out more aroma and flavor than on its own; would have given lower ratings otherwise). Sweet caramel smell with hints of cherry. Tastes of apple, raisin, brown sugar, malt, Surprisingly dry finish. Was expecting more warm boozy taste and feel which didn't really come through. Went back and forth with this beer but in the end an okay but not great beer especially for founders.

1.95/5  rDev -51.7%

Pours cloudy reddish brown. Produces little head, even with a rough pour. Minimal fine lacing. Not much to look at.

Smells like chocolate toffee meeting asphalt in that ozone spot right when it starts raining. Some fruits, all dark and all somewhat prune-juice like, poke through. Average is a stretch.

Has that flavor that I can't quite put my finger on, but I really can't stand. For such a highly rated beer, I can't by any means figure out why. Honestly it's one step away from a drainpour. Heavy super dark fruits and warm prune juice would be a complementary way to describe the flavor.

Feel wise it's typically Scottish ale like, thick and rich, low carbonation, not bad at all.

Drinks horrible. Will not seek out, recommend, or buy.

It's not just the style as I rated Bellhaven wee heavy quite highly. Something about this beer stands out as "I hate it." I'm sure it's not a bad bottle, but hey, I'm rating both to style and to my tastes, and this just plain tastes terrible. Sorry founders, I like some of your stuff but not this one.

3.98/5  rDev -1.5%

A: Poured into a Piraat tulip/snifter glass. Body reminds me of root beer for some reason - brown with a small tan head that is gone pretty quickly. When backlit it's reddish tints shine through the whole body, allowing me to see lots and lots of chunks of sediment floating throughout. Some "legs" but no real lace.

S: Interesting nose. I get chocolate and fruit. Think of those chocolate-covered cherries.

T: First impression is chocolate malt, surprisingly (though maybe I shouldn't have been surprised given the nose). Also some charcoal and a bit of the smoky peat you expect from the style. Dark fruit too - figs, I think - and a touch of boozy fruit. There's a drying bitterness at the end after a waft of drying alcohol. Lingering almost oaky, tannic bitterness over sweeter (fruity) malt. As it warms it seems to get sweeter, with brown sugar, caramel malt and molasses evident.

M: Body is close to full bodied, feels a bit thick (especially as it warms). Carbonation is low.

D: A bit of a sipper, but that's expected (by me at least) for the style. Alcohol heat is felt in belly quickly, sending a "go slow" message.

Notes: discovered this one in the back of the DBF tonight. I cannot get Founders in NY, and I cannot remember when I got this one. I suspect it was in MA (Julio's) a couple years ago, possibly as early as May of 2008 or 2009. Can't remember when I put it in the fridge though - it's been in there awhile I'm guessing.

4.28/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Hazy amber with burnt orange/yellow highlights around the bottom. Moderate tan head with modest retention and nice lacing. Looks pretty good in the glass.

Smell - Very delightful malty aroma of bread and caramel. Very, very well balanced. Both really stand out and are very alluring. Lightly roasted and somewhat fruty. Peachy smelling.

Taste - Rich malts in the taste with some light caramel. Actually has a walnut dryness in the flavor. Very nice. Some alcohol warmth invades the flavor in a very welcoming way.

Mouthfeel - Full bodied mouthfeel that is extremely dry and leaves a wealth on the palate. Some alcohol is left on the tongue and the roof of the mouth. Feels wonderful. Chewy even.

Drinkability - This is a great brew, however I probably wouldn't be able to have more than 2 of these at a time due to the high ABV. It was very nice on a cold December night. This is also a nice after dinner brew in my opinion. The alcohol comes in nicely and exits easily.

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

Review from notes.

12oz btl served in SA Perfect Pint.

A: Pours a deep dark brown with brilliant crimson highlights. Small cinnamon colored head vanishes quickly and leaves a thin ring of foam. Leaves some lace here and there. Attractive beer.

S: Sweet malty bliss. Brown sugar. Caramelized malt. Molasses. Suggestions of smoke. Hints of leather and tobacco. A bit of spicy hops to dial in the malt.

T: Malt overload. Beautiful interplay of sweet and spicy flavors. Just a little bit of heat. Slightly less complex than the nose. Carmel sweetness. Mild woodiness. Mildly tannic, spicy hops pop up toward the end but ultimately this one finishes sweet. Very nice.

M: Slick and coating. Carb is near perfect for the style.

D: This one shows its ABV a bit, but not in a negative way. This is not a beer that will bore you.

Founders makes good beers and great beers. This one falls somewhere in between.

A: deep brownish mahogany red. big head at first but settles for a small 1/4 inch head.

S: strong malt, smoky, nutty, roasting.

T: smoky peat, nutty, carmel sublte, slight alcohol taste and mild bitter after taste.

M: medium beer with strong flavor retention and no aftertaste.

D:Very scary beer. At 8.5, could be a sipping brew, but downing this brew rather quickly. I could see me polishing off a 6 pack in front of the fire with ease.

4.2/5  rDev +4%

A. Body is a dark reddish brown with a thin brownish head that has good retention and lacing. The carbonation is also good on this beer.
S. The smell is candied apples, coffee, oak, sugar, and caramel.
T. The taste is apples, bananas mixed with coffee, oak, caramel, some pine along with a nutty apple after taste. The taste is sweet with some bitterness at the end and in the aftertaste, but balanced.
M. This medium bodied beer has a nice sticky mouthfeel to it. It reminds me of eating candy and getting a stickiness in the mouth from it.
D. A nice drinkable beer that goes down easily, could sip on this or drink it in one swallow with no problem. I will be getting more of this beer in the future.

3.63/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured into a Portsmouth tulip. Deep copper amber pour with a thick tan head. Aroma is of caramel, fruity esters, and licorice. Flavor follows the nose, heavy on the caramel. Slick velvety body with a warming alcoholic finish. Overall, an enjoyable beer.

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

This beer pours a deep amber color with an off white head. The aroma of this beer is strong in caramel malt, and a hint of booze. The taste is very smooth with the flavor of caramel malts and again a hint of booze. The mouthfeel is medium heavy, and overall is a drinkable beer.

3.98/5  rDev -1.5%

Had this on-tap at the Thirsty Monk South.

A: A nice dark color with an okay head.

S: I got floral notes. Quite surprised.

T: Lots of flavor of licorice and caramel.

M: Not a lot of carbonation, but I don't care for too much carbonation.

D: Easy on the palate and could have several of these in one sitting, but don't need to.

3.83/5  rDev -5.2%

A: Pours with a small thin tan head that dissipates quickly. The body is a dark brown with dark amber notes when held up to the light.

S: The smell is dominated by dark fruit and caramel. The aroma is extremely sweet and boozy. Hints of coffee as well.

T: Caramel and candied apples. Lots of sweetness. There is a slight bitterness throughout the taste. The alcohol is never directly present but there is a slight warming feeling.

M: The carbonation was a little low and the beer was a medium to full body mouthfeel. It was not a bad mouthfeel, just a little below what I had hoped it would be.

D: This is a larger tasting beer and the sweetness in the flavor along with the alcohol, felt by the warmth, make this a sipper. I honestly expected it to be a higher abv. This is my first crack at this style and I have yet to fall in love. I am not sure if it is the beer or the style. We shall see.

Founders Dirty Bastard from Founders Brewing Company