Founders Dirty Bastard - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Dirty BastardFounders Dirty Bastard

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: Mitchster on 01-03-2003

Brewed with 7 varieties of malt (varies over the years).
Ratings: 6,535 | Reviews: 1,760
3.63/5  rDev -10.1%

Pours a great looking cherrywood...nose is dark fruits, slight peatiness...dark fruits on the taste too but the dominant flavor is cocoa...a little earthiness to this as well...has some vodka like booziness to it...body is medium to full....creamy...

A nice scotch but not one I would rush to find again....despite my score a slight disappointment to me as I expected this to be one of my favorite wee heavys.

3.63/5  rDev -10.1%

Pours a deep amber brown color, with a small cream colored head. Aroma is some big sweet caramel, peat, butterscotch. Strong up front butterscotch and booze flavor, but finishes nicely with just enough bitterness to balance and a bit of lingering peat. These are generally sippers for me, though this one goes down pretty easily for the ABV. A winner from Founders and very popular for a reason.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into imperial pint glass.

Appearance: Light reddish brown in color with a light beige head. I noticed a lot of floaters making this dirty bastard truly one dirty bastard.

Smell: The first smell I get is very nutty and bready then a hint of fruityness. A pretty nice smell that has some definite character.

Taste: Starts out with that malty bread taste, somewhat sweet almost caramel in taste. Then I get a berry flavor that is a little smokey. The alcohol is nice and has somewhat of a warming effect.

Mouthfeel: Medium in body. Low carbonation.

Drinkability: The floaters, the fruityness and all that make this beer a little on the non-drinkable side for me. I did enjoy it but one or two is where I would draw the line with this offering. I remember liking it a whole lot more at the extreme beerfest maybe my tastes were out of whack or this bottle was not a good representation of the beer.

On tap at Sunset:

I don't know what happened today - I found all my beers to be way too sweet at Sunset. This was no exception. I admit this beer popped by Wee Heavy cherry, and it popped it with some cherries of its own. Definitely some of those pitted wonders in this one. Also some caramel sweetness.

I think my palate was overwhelmed by the EKU i had just had, but this was definitely more subtle. The alcohol, I felt, was a bit too apparent, especially as it is only 8.3%.

A strong sense of black bittersweet licorice and uncultured chocolate. Low to mid carbonation. No head, no lacing.

Anyway, I digress. It's an ok beer, nothing to write home about. I, however, look forward to many more Wee Heavies in my future.

3.62/5  rDev -10.4%

I've passed this by too many times considering my love of Founders brews. Grabbed several of these for a trade to the west coast and decided to save on for myself so I could do a proper tasting and determine if I should have again. To be fair...I believe this is only the second scotch style ale I've ever had, so I am a bit new to the style. With that said...here we go.

a: golden brown in color....roasty looking. Small head with light lacing. looks like a maple syrup with carbonation. nice color, looks light.

s: smells of malty, scotch sweetness. very sweet on the nose, with a roast scent in the tail. Caramel? Maple? Molasses? something else thick sweet in here. Reminiscent of KY Bourbon Barrel beer in the nose...

t: Not a tremendous amount of flavor, thought what is there is tasty. Malty in the front with the sweetness of caramel and toffee. a hint of a scotch sweetness and booze fades this out well. Left with a lingering sweetness, despite the lack of that 'POP' in the flavor profile. surprising the lack consider this is over 8%, but regardless it is a pleasant taste. touch watery, though.

m: light bodied, good carbonation. coats the palette moderately and is nice and silky. considering the lack of potent flavor, I am glad this is as thin as it is or that would be rather unpleasant.

o: not bad...don't know that I'd grab it again though as there are other beers I'd rather sit back and relax with. Glad I tried it, though. Nice sweetness to it but really lacks that 'pop' of a flavor. the malt is there at the front, but I would have like a bit more pop from it all. Given what it is...not too bad, but there are other Founders brews I'd rather go with and other similar beers I like better given the flavor profile.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle with a Bottled On Date of 05/10/11. Pours a dark brownish ruby color with a half inch of head. Zero lacing. Smells sweet with some malt, booze, raisin and berry aromas. Taste is a sllightly boozey, malty sweetness. A hint of smoke. Somewhat medicinal at the end but its not too bad. Its a decent Wee Heavy but the medicine taste is now starting to get to me more. Still a good beer. Overall, I'd buy it again but a 6 pack would take me a while to finish.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Ruby color with a small off-white head that dissipates almost immediately. A ring of soft bubbles is left around the glass but no lacing left behind.

Strong caramel malt in the aroma with a scotch/peat backbone.

Cloying sweetness from the malt and medium-bodied. Very rich but lacking complexity and is a little one-dimensional. Warming alcohol sensation in the finish.

This was a really underwhelming beer for me. I have enjoyed most of Founders' offerings so far, but this one just misses the mark for me. Not an undrinkable beer by any means, just something I won't be revisiting anytime soon.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours brown/copper color with a decent tan head.

Strong malty aroma with a roasted raisin background.

The taste has a bit more hops to it than I anticipated from the smell which balances its malt presence quite nicely. Smokey finish

Highly carbonated upfront, settles into a juicy, smoother body.

8.3% alcohol is well hidden in this dangerously sessionable brew.

3.62/5  rDev -10.4%

Appearance: Poured a dark and cloudy reddish-brown color. One finger head with little retention (gentle pour) and little visible carbonation. Minimal lacing.

Smell: Roasted and nutty malts. Caramel and chocolate, with molasses sweetness. Cider flavors as well. Some dark yeast esters.

Taste: Bitter alcohol bite to start, with dark fruit sweetness and a chocolate edge. Caramel roasted malts. Very long linger.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a tingly alcohol bite up front and out back.

Drinkability: A good scotch ale, with a good amount of alcohol bite. Good malt flavors, with a darker sweetness.

Buy Again? Yes.

3.61/5  rDev -10.6%

Served in a pint glass.

A- Dark caramel with a two finger head and a lot of lacing.

S- Not a lot in the nose. Caramel malt and roastiness. Pick up on some candy sugar and some other sweet additive.

T- Roasted malts, caramel, spices, a hint of coffee. Nice balance of bitterness to round this beer off.

M- Medium bodied, a little oily in texture with a nice mellow smooth finish.

O- Not a huge scotch ale guy, but this is a good one. The blend of sweet, roast, spice, and hops make this a very well balanced beer. You would never know this is 8.5%.

3.61/5  rDev -10.6%

A bottle purchased from Breeze-Thru liquor in Milwaukee.

The best Scotch Ale I've had in recent memory, although I am not a frequent consumer of Scotch Ales (I drank a Belle Haven and a McEwan's recently and had some others at a recent festival). While I liked it, I didn't find Dirty Bastard very sessionable, which may have involved the ABV.

Appearance was a reddish-black, with a non-persistant tan head. Odor was of bourbon/caramel, which I liked. Flavor was also that of bourbon and caramel. I didn't feel that the bourbon flavor was overpowering and thought the aroma and flavor of the beer was quite pleasant.

3.6/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Harriet tulip.

Dark red body, clear with ruby highlights and a thin active beige collar. Fine spotty lacing, fast running tears.

Deep caramel, toasted malt, peat, and fruit in the nose.

Faintly smoky palate entry with stone fruit and toasted malt on the palate. Dry, grain and alcohol-laden finish.

Slick, medium-bodied, creamy, warming mouth-feel.

A passable, well crafted example of the style...but lacking in depth.

3.6/5  rDev -10.9%

The label on this one was in red plaid with a menacing looking Scots Man wearing a newsboy cap and sneering. The label stated it had 50 IBU's and 8.5% alcohol and was bottled on 12-9-2009. After an agressive pour I only managed the single finger of pale beige head that faded to minimal lacing. The beer itself was a deep mohagany color and very inviting looking. The aroma was quite muted but did impart some slight pineapple smell. The flavors on this one truely set it off. There was the afore mentioned pineapple from the nose, some dark cherry, banana, and the scotch/peet smoke that is typical of this style. There also was just enough hops to balance out the malt back bone and lend a little bitterness. The alcohol was very well hidden but started to warm after 2-3 gulps. Mouthfeel was virtually perfect. Not to thick or thin which made for excellent drinkability. Overall this is a very nice example of scotch ale, but the high alcohol content catches up after only 2 beers.

3.6/5  rDev -10.9%

pour: dark, almost no head, low carbonation

smell: malty, faint hint of paint thinner

taste: little hoppiness, very malty but not very complex

MF: scant carbonation, what little hops there is to it resides in the lingering tast as the malt settles out

D: meh....not one I would seek out, but I am in the minority on this one.

3.6/5  rDev -10.9%

appearance- brown to amber with very nice super beautiful foamy head, very cloudy and murky with no light coming through, very nice beautiful pour 4.5

smell- slight sweet caramel and malts, what i can smell does smells nice, but not overwhelming in the nose department, 3.5

Taste- reminds me of some Belgian dubbels i have actually had, sweet caramel and molasses, very sugary sweet biased in flavor 4.0

Mouthfeel- medium to heavy bodied with a heavy full carbonation 4.0

Drinkability- very sweet overall and an overall full carbonation, not what i expected to taste like but still nice, sweet and malty, a nice beer not world class to me but a nice beer if you are especially a fan of the Belgian dubbel style 3.5

Averaged out a B+ 3.95

Rereviewed on 4/15/10

Appearance- dark dark brown with a thick foamy white head, little to no bubbles to be seen, some what see through when held to light, 4.0

Smell- very sweet molasses and caramel nose, raisons, rum, very sweet yet pleasantly inviting,4.5

Taste- there is an upfront sweetness on this beer but it has still more hops then Im accustomed to on this style, so oddly starts up front being more sweet but quickly fades off to very off dry, this beers all right but it just doesnt quite do it for me, it just seems like its caught in between trying to be a true scotch ale and still having to be a crafty american loaded up with hops, 3.0

Mouthfeel- heavy yet some what smooth and slick 3.5

Drinkability- This beer is all right not offensive in anyway but just nothing stellar to me, in general I do like the Founders beers but to me this ones just kinda off the mark and not really hitting what I would have expected, 3.0

Founders Dirty Bastard
7/26/12
12oz, packaged 5/9/12

Wonderful garnet with a small tan head.

Aroma has a good bit of alcohol and fruit. Almost rum-like. Hint of smoke as well.

Richly malty with notes of caramel, toffee, molasses and dark fruit. Not massively sweet, but a tad cloying. Could use a few more IBUs for balance. Finish is nice, with subtle peat and smoke that intensifies over the course of the drink.

Mouthfeel is full but needs more carb.

Well-brewed and a nice example of the style, I just find it a bit too sweet.

3.59/5  rDev -11.1%

Bottle, approx. 45 degrees F, poured into unchilled stange glass.

A: "Dirty," like iced tea. Extremely thin head, which went away after a second anyway.

S: Damp, vegetal, heavy, but with a hoppy note.

T: Figs/dates, maybe a little pruney. Something discordant about it, but not noxious or anything.

M: Much too thin; goes down too fast.

D: This is the best way to explain what I think its shortcoming is: it has all the darkness that I expect from beers of its style, but none of the depth. It's an above-50th-percentile Scotch Ale, but still meh.

3.59/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into Duvel Green tulip. Thanks again Mathew!

A: Pours a deep mahogany color with a minimal light brown head. Head quickly faded into nothingness leaving faint short-lived lace down the glass.
S: Huge notes of very sweet sugary dark fruits. I get notes of plums, prunes, dates, figs, raisins, cranberry and red apples. Caramel, honey, pear and molasses are there as well. Extremely sweet overall.
T: Sweet but thankfully not too cloying. All the fruits from the nose hit my palate at first, followed by hints of tobacco, leather, chocolate, brown sugar and bitter, leafy hops. The finish is full of candied dates, salt, and a lingering sweetness and bitterness at the same time.
M: Full body, medium-full mouthfeel, greasy and slick with low and tight carbonation that is tingly when it first hits.
O: Definitely a sweet and complex beer. Heavy leafy bitterness in the finish adds a nice balance. Thanks again, Matt!

3.59/5  rDev -11.1%

A: Beautiful dark, translucent red. Modest white head that leaves just a little lacing.

S: A simple, not very strong malty, sugary aroma.

T/M: Malty, sweet, sugary taste: hints of molasses, caramel, but nothing overpoweringly sweet at all. It's tasty and smooth. A little bit watery and thin on the mouthfeel.

O: This is a good beer that provides a simple, pleasant base for the much stronger Backwoods Bastard.

3.58/5  rDev -11.4%

Pours a quite cloudy, luscious dark caramel color. The thin head was a bit of a let down, but i'll let it slide because of the style.

Smells also of caramel, lots of malt, and just a hint of chocolate. A bit of apples, but it could just be the caramel's sweetness.

A big creamy malti-caramel body slides effortlessly onto your tongue and down your throat. Alcohol is almost un-perceived. A lingering hop bitterness provides an intriguing aftertaste which provokes an urge to take another sip.

Drinkability is good, not great. I don't think i would choose this over old chub. The best feature of this beer is the way the creamy mouthfeel complements the unoffensive smooth malt taste.

3.58/5  rDev -11.4%

Big malt with some fruitcake flavors - nuts and dark fruits. ETOH is a little prominent in the flavor profile throughout, but this is not unexpected in this style. Sweetness fades toward the end, with bittering picking up and lingering at the finish. Seems a bit heavy-handed.

3.58/5  rDev -11.4%

So I've been hearing about Founders coming to New York for weeks and have been looking forward to the introduction since it was announced. I had the Centennial and wasn't impressed. i had the pale ale and the porter and was blown away.

I'm not a big scotch ale fan but Founders is among the best I've had. The color is dark brown, like a brown ale, good aroma and great mouthfeel. If you like Scotch Ale this is one of my favorites.

3.58/5  rDev -11.4%

Tiny rings of lace above an almost impenetrable ruby murk.

Fudgey malts reign surpreme on the nose, mixed in with a malty presence of raisins, cinnamon, watermelon, with booze in the background. A surprising hop prescence for the style.

This beer is surprisingly barleywine-like, and seems a little too much like a generic "Founders" beer - hoppy, boozy, and generally big. I'm not noticing the huge beefy malt profile I expected with the style, nor the inherent smoky, peaty, earthy tastes that most scotch ales have. Quite akin to FFF's take on the style.

Very bock-like mouthfeel that goes down smooth but doesn't make for the most drinkable of beers. This one seems like a stylistic experiment gone awry.

Best name ever though, it should be said!

3.58/5  rDev -11.4%

Picked up a single last week and had it last night during a session with a buddy. Poured a rich reddish dark brown with a thin head. Light lacing in the glass. Smelled sweet with malts and candy. Taste was smooth and darkly sweet with slight whiskey finish. Hints of raisin and chocolate. Mouthfeel was thick and a bit creamy. Drinkability was only ok for me as this is not my style. 1, maybe 2 of these on a good night.

3.58/5  rDev -11.4%

A-Pours a dark amber color with a half a finger head and very little lacing.

S-Sweet scent, slight caramel, molasses

T-Very sweet right up front, then quickly hits with a bitter hop flavor. Slight bite of alcohol, and finally a smooth caramel malt finish.

M-Medium body, good carbonation, slight bite of alcohol

O-This is my first time trying this style, It's certainly not my new favorite, but after this bottle I'm willing to try it again some day.

Founders Dirty Bastard from Founders Brewing Company