Founders Curmudgeon's Better Half - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Curmudgeon's Better HalfFounders Curmudgeon's Better Half

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Old Ale |  11.90% ABV

Old ale aged in bourbon barrels previously used for Michigan maple syrup.

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-09-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
msarver16

06-05-2012 22:53:29 | More by msarver16
effyeaAB

12-17-2012 19:30:51 | More by effyeaAB
KWacker

Had on tap at The Beverage Source in Newark, Ohio Founders tasting. Served in a tulip glass.

Wow! This beer is hands-down one of the finest I've ever had. Sweet, malty, and at 11.9% it packs a wallop!
A - Poured about inch or so of head that thins without too much lacing. Nice amber color
S - Big time malts with definite hints of caramel, vanilla, maple, and bourbon.
T - Sweetness hits first, but fades quickly as the 11.9% kicks in and you pick up the bourbon in there. Amazing and clean finish with little to no burn. Smooth as can be. Vanilla and maple hints linger back.
M - Pretty well bodied with light cabonation
O - If you see it, get it. I drove 40 minutes to have this one and would go further if I had to. Also enjoyed the Breakfast Stout and KBS on draft and I'd choose Curmudgeon's Better Half over both. Awesome job Founder's!

03-22-2012 19:51:22 | More by KWacker

02-15-2012 00:27:40 | More by DaveONan
FeDUBBELFIST

$18 for the 750nL, served slightly chilled in a tulip
Sampled 05NOV12

[A] From a slowly glugging pour, less than a finger of light tan head rises. Retention is average but a creamy film and foamy collar remain until the end if the glass. The tiny bubbles move slowly through the noticeably thick medium amber colored body. Straggles of lacing cling to the glass in unpredictable fashion.

[S] At this age, just above a hint of maple syrup sweetness remains on the nose. The bourbon barrel character is simply amazing. The subtlety is refined, blending perfectly with the more complex notes of of oak, brown sugar, caramel, butter, a drop of vanilla & the right amount of alcohol.

[T] I assume that the molasses fermented out completely because it is undetectable to my senses - and I'm usually adverse to it. I do, however, pick up on some modestly dark sugar flavors on the back end of the palate at warmer temperatures, but they are much closer to buttery caramel than molasses.

[M] Overall sweetness is balanced by a tannic oakiness at midpalate and a shot of dryness right before the residual sweetness resumes. A pleasant alcoholic warmth begins in the belly and slowly rises to the tongue. "Heat" is not a practical consideration. Effervescence is appropriately low, creating a rich, thick, tongue lathering texture. Soft and plush. Just glorious.

[O] A fresher bottle put out stronger maple aroma and flavor, but the mouthfeel at 9 months (or so) now has little to no room for improvement. And since the maple *is* still lingering, it's a trade-off I'll take any day of the week. What else can I say? This is my kind of beer.

12-27-2012 13:52:21 | More by FeDUBBELFIST
Mitchill

Kentucky

4.98/5  rDev +15.5%

Had this on tap at New Albanian's gravity head and was great then on the way home stopped at my local beer store and found a bottle needless to say I bought one. Appearance was much like the color of maple syrup, golden brown. Smell was great, bourbon accompanied by the usual Curmudgeon fragrance. Taste was great dark fruits, sweetness but not too cloying, vanilla, bourbon, coconut and then after it warmed a bit i got the maple with it all detected the creaminess of this beer. Definitely world class glad i got too try it and still have one left to age a bit longer

03-11-2012 03:12:00 | More by Mitchill
JustinMatthew

4.98/5  rDev +15.5%

On tap at South Philly Tap Room and Poured to a wine glass. Amber color, good head and lacing.

Smell is all barrel qualities.. Vanilla, coconut, bourbon, some oak, brown sugar and maple syrup.

Taste is fantastic.. incredibly sweet and candy like. Bourbon barrel qualities.. oak, vanilla, coconut. Good bit of butterscotch and caramel coming through. I would love to see Founders do a barrel blend with this and some KBS.. im convinced it would be one of the worlds best beers.

Warming and delicious beer, the tap version was fresh.. i have a bottle im looking to open after one year and rotting my teeth out.

08-08-2012 21:58:20 | More by JustinMatthew
JizackFH

Review #600

A - This beer pours a nice mahogany red color that glows when held to the light. There is a little more than a finger of slightly off-white head resting on top. The head has pretty good retention, and it leaves behind just a few specs of lace on the glass.

S –The nose is of maple syrup and bourbon aromas. There is some roasted malt, as well as a nice amount of dark fruits. I am getting some Raisin, Fig, plum, and some cherry. There are also some aromas of caramel, candied sugar, vanilla, molasses, brown sugar, and some booze. It is a very complex and delightful nose.

T – The taste follows the nose. It starts off with some sweet caramel and dark fruit flavors. I am tasting plum, fig, and raisin. There is definitely some sweet maple syrup flavor coming through. Also, I am getting some caramel, toffee, molasses, and vanilla. There is a very mild hop presence here as well. There is a little bit of booziness in the taste, but it tastes no where near 11.9%. In the finish all the flavors seem to come through and linger for a moment or two. There are a lot of flavors going on here, very complex.

M – This has a medium body and lower carbonation. It goes down easy and has a smooth rich feel to it. There is also a bit of a chewy quality to it. There is a big sweetness here, but there is some balance to it from a mild hop presence and maybe a little roasted malt. There is some boozy warmth in the finish that slightly warms all the way down to your belly. I think this is a perfect feel for this beer.

O – This has awesome drinkability. It is definitely a sipper, but it is just delicious and hard to put down. It is a big malty sweet slightly boozy wonderful old ale. Overall, it is just an awesome beer, and an excellent example of this style. This is just a nearly perfect beer for me. I highly recommend trying it if you find it. I really wish I would have been able to find another bottle so I could share it with people that couldn’t find one. I will definitely but this again If I get the chance.

02-27-2012 12:20:07 | More by JizackFH
yadehtsiyadot

4.95/5  rDev +14.8%

This forest is immensely dense. Foilage brushes against my legs as I make my way inward. I am at peace in this place. Light from beyond gleams through the trees, enveloping every blade of grass and every loose stick.

"This way", I hear a voice from the distance. Following it, I come across a great old maple tree. "What do you wish of me?" I question. "Share what I create by drinking from me", the old tree replies.

Reaching into my boot, I extract my pocket knife. Gently impaling the bark of the living wood, I open a prosperous floodgate. Scents of bourbon and maple encompass the forest. Pouring from the puncture is a beautiful, brown liquid.

"What is this?", I ponder. Reading my thoughts, the great maple replies, "This is you". "But I am me", I argue. "How can this be?" The old tree continues, "You are everything. But you divide yourself. You cut yourself in half, then quarters, then eigths, sixteenths, etc...forgetting what you truly are".

Confused, I bend down and take a gulp of the nectar. Everything is understood. This is me. This is my Better Half.

05-12-2013 04:43:51 | More by yadehtsiyadot