Founders Curmudgeon's Better Half - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Curmudgeon's Better HalfFounders Curmudgeon's Better Half

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Old Ale |  11.90% ABV

Old ale aged in bourbon barrels previously used for Michigan maple syrup.

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-09-2012)
4.28/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A sought after "whale" for me, obtained through a transaction involving an offshore bank which delivered a briefcase full of cash in $1 dollar bills.

It was consumed in my remote adirondack outpost, while the wood stove provided sufficient warmth to allow me to don a thin layer of thermal underwear

Presumably cellared properly by the previous owner in the Witness Protection Program

A- dark amber, two finger head. Particulate matter, which seems a bit soon for this vintage

S-alcohol, orange rind, figs, malty sticky sweetness

T-bourbon sweet malty, touch of leather , a candied orange wedge in her clenched teeth. Whip in hand.

M- smooth, evervescent, small burning on my palate as she forces me submit.

O- very good, but wish it was more. I probably missed the maple barrel taste and the brew has not reached historic status yet. Perhaps I should have waited, but as the Better Half's whip is not so gently applied to my m cerebral cortex, I give in. I had a well aged Curmudgeon that was probably equally good. Sometimes the search for a whale ends quietly.

Jjski, Mar 30, 2014

oriolesfan4, Mar 26, 2014

BuckTuckian, Mar 21, 2014
4.38/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The initial pour looked a deep brownish-red with awesome clarity. Topping the beer off added lots of chunky sediment and broken-up yeast cake and really clouded the beer. The head that collected is a half moon of coarse bubbles. They haven't popped yet.

I'm waiting for CBH to warm up, but I'm getting a starter waft of fresh fennel and dry caramel. As it slowly warms, one can pick up on maple, barrel wood, English malt, licorice root, milk chocolate, molasses, and faint whiskey. An aged old ale, in the nose, with featured notes of barrel complexity.

Firmly steeped in molasses (not without bitterness), maple, licorice, bourbon, light roastiness, figgy fruits, caramel brittle, date, fennel, herbal elixiry sweetness, and some bitterness in the tailend. Amazingly complex. I feel like this beer probably dried up a little, too, but I can't know for sure. Has a grand appeal. The fennel/licorice presence in the flavor is really intense. Almost as much dried fruit as there is caramel. Atypical ale. Nothing like I've ever had before.

Full-bodied with light tackiness on the lips. Soft carbonation. Nothing even close to 11.9% represented here. Mellowed beautifully.

I wasn't expecting this kind of flavor profile evolution. I assume this has strayed from what it was, which I would've greatly enjoyed. But, I still love what it has become. Adventurous beer that I purchased already aged. Too fun.

thecheapies, Mar 16, 2014

3.5/5  rDev -18.8%

jtladner, Dec 15, 2013
4.26/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

750ml bottle, generously shared by Eric at a pre-4elf bottleshare today, 12/14/2013. Poured probably 6oz into a Hill Farmstead stemmed glass. Thanks a lot buddy, hope you found that hot blonde...

Pours a thick and viscous but clear amber body, fairly decent but not close to a finger's worth of white head, retention is decent. Becomes a fairly placid brew with a thin film on top, no collar. Not much lacing to be found. Really, I think the labeling makes me perceive this as maple syrup in appearance.

Smells nice and sweet- similar to Sweet Repute really. Very caramelly and toffee heavy with a decent dose of maple syrup sweetness. Very sweet and not particularly hoppy or anything like that. Its a one note beer that really stands out. Love that maple syrup booziness.

Same as the nose- very tasty, very sweet and caramel forward with a nice complementary maple flavour. Its quite boozy actually, which I would have figured to go away with a year plus on it, but I guess not- never had it fresh so I don't know. In any case, it's very sweet but not in a cloying way. It's probably better fresh.

Thick, viscous and full-bodied. Carbonation is a bit low, but this is still an enjoyable sipper. Running a bit hot as mentioned before. Not bitter at all- very nice and caramel-forward with complementary toffee and maple notes on the backend.

Such a sweet beer, makes me wonder if that's a Founders thing. In any case, I think this was a nice treatment of Old Curmudgeon that still worked out even all this time later.

Stevedore, Dec 15, 2013