Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Frangelic Mountain BrownFounders Frangelic Mountain Brown

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Brown Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: bashiba on 03-18-2012

Reviews: 300 | Hads: 1,173
4.88/5  rDev +23.2%

750 mL bottle poured into a pint glass at cellar temperature

L - Amber-brown color with a 2-finger thick, creamy cream-colored head. Great retention and lacing.

S - If you like coffee, this is heaven. If you like coffee and beer, it’s better than heaven. A huge blast of hazelnut coffee enters the room as soon as you open the bottle. Lots of toasted, roasted, and nutty malts with a big hazelnut presence. This smells amazing, and I’m so excited to taste it.

T - Lots of toasted and nutty malts and hazelnut coffee with a sweet undercurrent of caramel malt. There’s the slightest hint of earthy and floral hops at the finish, as well. Absolutely amazing.

F - Full-bodied with a great amount of carbonation for how much body it has, a sticky and creamy mouthfeel, and a roasty bitter and dry finish. Coffee bitterness and caramel sweetness linger nicely. There’s a great throat-warming sensation from the alcohol, too.

O - If you’re looking for perfection in a brown ale, this is the closest I’ve found. It looks great with a sheet of lacing that forms as you drink it, it smells and tastes like hazelnut coffee (except better since it’s beer), and has a superb mouthfeel. I’m against giving beers a perfect 5 because I think that there’s always room for improvement and always somebody out there who can do something better eventually, but I’m having an extremely hard time staying true to that with this beer. This is absolutely superb. I’m SO PUMPED that Charleston started getting Founders again and that I got to try this beer. A must try for sure.

4.86/5  rDev +22.7%

Served into a 12oz bullet glass at Tap and Mallet during the Founders vs. Goose Island tap takeover.

The pour was a nice clear mahogany, with a light beige 1 1/2-2" creamy head that stuck around til the end of the glass. Smelled of hazelnut coffee, caramel, toffee, ice cream, just a wonderful nose that I could appreciate for hours. Taste was much of the same, everything integrated near perfectly with a super creamy, full mouthfeel. I think that the nitro treatment really completes this beer, takes away any acrid, harsh coffee tinge and smooths out the whole experience. A must try if you see it on nitro.

4.82/5  rDev +21.7%

Poured from a bomber to a Founders Tulip:

A: Medium colored brown, not as dark as I expected, but pretty deep brown. Pours a 1.5/2 finger tan head that lingers and fades to a simple rim around the glass. Pretty good lacing on the glass as I drink it.

S: Hazelnut. It's huge, it's a bomb on the nose. The coffee is pretty much back seat, it smells really good. Burnt sugar and coffee meddle with cocoa and a toasty biscuit smell.

T: The nutty hazelnut quality is really in your face, but you get the lighter roasted coffee flavor and the malty toasted flavor with it. Very balanced. Chocolate, and toasted biscuit notes in there, with the floral hops, and the slight syrupy nutty flavor is present, there is a slight spicy note that really give you everything but the kitchen sink! The hazelnut flavor really lingers and has a slight liquor like finish to the end that isn't bad. Alcohol is hidden, nothing to be found here for 9%. Allowing it to warm really brings the nutty flavor to the front.

M: Medium body, a bit lighter than I expected, would have liked it a bit thicker perhaps. Carbonation is just right, enough to really get the whole picture. Smooth, slightly creamy, but could have been lusher with more to it.

O: Great brown ale. I love browns, love coffee, and love hazelnuts. I really like this beer, and think it's a really good brew! Glad I got to get a bottle of this, and think it's one of the better brown ales I've had.

4.79/5  rDev +21%

First of the series Ive bought from a store, not friend or bar!

Huge head that arcs over the rim of the pint glass. Very translucent brown, low carbonation.

Oh it smells like heaven. Smells sweet, with a candy like hazelnut dryness. Coffee isnt overpowering, but comes in and announces itself. I get a bit of powdered sweet chocolate. So complex.

Very coffee forward, but not an overly bitter flavor, its a very smooth, sweet, creamy, nutty flavor. It does get a touch bitter upfront, but just enough to be coffee forward--which this beer is the hazelnut coffee all the way. Perfect use of coffee, I actually get the taste of a perfectly brewed coffee. Its almost got a creamy feeling that I believe is sweet milk chocolate.

It honestly feels like hazelnut coffee. Smooth and creamy feeling dominates until late. Slighty dry feeling to finish things out.

This one is much better than Better Half, In my opinion.

4.74/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

its a dangerous combination beer and coffee. well hazelnut coffee. its is one of my favorites. me and my mom drink it all the time i got her hook but it will be soon gone. : ( but overall tasty tasty tasty!! go out and find u some. or ask nicely lol well have a good one

4.71/5  rDev +18.9%

Picked this bottle up today, poured into a Founders pint glass.

Pours a dark brown color with an amber hue, finger width of off white head and slightly translucent. Smell is all coffee, hazelnut with out a doubt. One of the nicest smelling beers around. Taste again.. syrupy hazelnut, iced coffee, A touch of vanilla and caramel. Moderate body and Nice carbonation. This thing packs a hazelnut wallop and it's fantastic, I can't remember having a better brown ale

4.7/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The roasted, slightly bitter aroma of hazelnut coffee is unmistakable in this brew. I also get a somewhat doughy kinda freshly baking bread/roll aroma as well. It smells wonderful, and I crave more already.

Perfectly clear, light brown / dark tan in color. The head is light tan and laces quite beautifully as you sip this beer to the depths of the glass.

Frangelic Mountain has an incredible taste, hazelnuts, coffee, toffee, caramel, even chocolate fudge. It reminds me of being in the candy store in Sarasota, FL that sells all these things and home makes them freshly that day. Incredibly clean flavors, nothing is muddled. This is the perfect brown ale.

Crisp, clean carbonation with a moderatebody. It drinks smoothly but shouldn't be drunk hastily. Every sip leaves me wanting more, and to never finish this bottle.

4.69/5  rDev +18.4%

This one's been a serious want of mine for a while - I love Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar far more than most people, so this should be right up my alley. The first thing I've learned from my love affair with Hazelnut Brown Nectar is the importance of a warmer serving temperature. So, I let this bad boy warm in the glass for quite some time. After the proper temperature is reached, the hazelnut coffee rules the nose, but there's some chocolate and roasted malt providing a supporting role. An absolutely sublime aroma. The taste isn't quite as great as the smell, but follows up on the hazelnut, coffee and roasted malts notes that the nose promises. The roasty brown ale base is more apparent here, along with a touch of chocolate to round everything out. The mouthfeel is relatively light for the ABV, with a prickly front and a smooth back. The drinkability is great.

Overall, Frangelic Mountain Brown is an excellent hazelnut brown. It's just a tasty beer on every front. Is it better than the Rogue Hazelnut Nut Brown? I really can't call it that easily - they're both fantastic beers and good in their own right. I think I like the Rogue just a little bit more, but that's one of my favorite beers ever, so it's tough to beat.

4.69/5  rDev +18.4%

A- Chestnut brown with some ruby tinged highlights. A decently thick head that disappears very quickly. Leaves some nice thick lacing and a nice thick coating of oily legs dripping down.

S- Big notes of vanilla and toasted hazelnuts. Marshmallows, sweet latte, bitter chocolate, medium roasted coffee, crumb cake, angelfood cake with brown sugar/maple frosting. This gets so amazing as it warms up. Unlike anything I've ever drank or smelled. Extremely unique.

T- I really wish I woulda taken this out of the fridge an hour or so before I poured it. This one would be perfect going from the cellar to the glass. Tastes like a perfect cup vanilla hazelnut coffee. Little hints of cocoa, cream, and brown sugar. Very nutty, semi-sweet, and completely delicious.

M- Way thicker than I expected for a coffee beer. WOW! Really glides down your tongue. Sticky with brown sugar, hazelnut candy, mocha, marshmallow. One of the best Brown Ale's I've ever had.

O- This one has to be in my top five Brown Ales. Tons of flavor and body. I could smell this all damn day! I wish they'd get rid of FBS and make this every year.

4.67/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Drank out of bomber for the third time in little less than a year of aging. Pours a thinner head but honestly, the color and look are an after thought after you get the first whiff of a very strong hazel nut smell. Honestly one of the strongest most pleasant smelling beers I've experienced.

Taste...absolutely delicious. In comparison to the nut brown class it ranks at the top. More specifically, in comparison to other hazelnut brown ales it still is head and shoulders the best. I did read other reviews that knocked the "artificial hazelnut taste". Two responses to that, first, don't care if artificial or not, it's a strong taste that would make a fantastic dessert beer, or a sipper just relaxing in the winter. And secondly, how often has anyone had a natural hazelnut taste? Not really sure if I've ever tried natural hazelnut to compare but until I do know this works just fine for me. The only downside would be for someone that doesn't like a sweeter type of beer or hazelnut, since there is a ton of it present in this beer.

Overall, Founders continues to dominate the darker beer space. They have perfected this style of beer with this offering. Only wish this was a consistent release. If and when they release this again, I'll be among the first in line to buy. If you can still find this, grab it.

4.65/5  rDev +17.4%

This has been sitting in the fridge for a while and what with Sandy fever nearly in full force, might as well crack it open before the power goes out.

Pours a dark brown with a small head into my glass. How else could one describe it? It's brewed with hazelnut coffee so you could also note a coffee hue. 9%? Sounds like an absolute monster.

Smells like one too. Hazelnut, roasted coffee, brown sugar, molasses. All combine with a touch of alcohol warmth in the nose to form the perfect beer for a cold winter day. It's fall and not that cold out but you get the drift?

The flavors are amazing with a strong dose of hazelnut upfront that slams into the taste buds, followed by chocolate, molasses and strong coffee. Ironically, it's mellow enough to where I forget about the alcohol for a minute or two.

Of course, the alcohol creeps up at the back of the mouth, nearly stinging my throat in the process. It must have been a lot more hot when I first bought it a month or three back. Just a touch of hazelnut coffee remains.

Again, this would make the perfect sipper for a cold winter day. With Sandy nearly in our throes, I wonder if she'll bring some snow? I'll certainly regret not saving this beer for such an occasion. Well worth what I paid for it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bomber to dimple mug:

Pours a clean coffee brown, topped with dense creamy mocha head. Great lacing, minimal beading. Doesn't look as big as I thought it would.

The smells explode from the bottle, and exactly as advertised - big fat hazelnut, fresh gas station coffee, various dark malts, vanilla, toffee, caramel, burnt sugar, the bitterness of coffee and hops keep a perfect balance.

This is precisely what a coffee beer ought to be. Every quality of a great brown ale, smothered in hazelnut coffee and just a touch of boozy heat at the finish. Fuck Irish coffee, I'd way rather have one of these.

This beer is damn near perfect.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a beautiful deep brown. It is packed with luscious sumatra coffee beans and reminds you of delicious smelling breakfast when it first hits your tongue. If any of you are afraid of the price of this beer, trust me...it is worth it. Founders does not disappoint! The flavor and depth of this beer is so nutty and extreme that it would convert the non-beer drinkers to reconsider drinking ale. I have always been a long time follower of Founders Brewery and will continue to be. Please try to locate this beer quickly. I have a feeling it will be difficult to find. If you enjoy hazelnuts and dark roasted coffee, this is cream of the croup. Enjoy!

From Growler purchased at KBS Day 2012. 8.1%

A: Light brown with minimal head.

S: Nutty, Coffee. Making my nose excited for the taste!

T: Coffee, but way different than the norm for most coffee beers I've tried. Strong Nutty flavor with Cashew/Pecan leading the way.

M: Lightly carbonated (From Growler after nearly 2 weeks though)

O: This is an awesome coffee beer with a sweet nuttiness. Glad I was able to score some to bring home and can't wait for the Backstage release, Just hoping I can score some then.
Way to Go Founder's! GREAT STUFF!

4.62/5  rDev +16.7%

a - poured a one finger thick creamy tan head into a snifter. the body was dark brown like molasses. this should be good...
s - big hazelnut aromas hit you immediately. there is a hint of chocolate and coffee as well.
t - nutty and chocolatey with a toasty finish.
m - creamy and coating.
o - this one did not disappoint at all. just so sweet and delicious. incredibly drinkable and pleasant. i'm glad i have one more left.

4.59/5  rDev +15.9%

Bells snifter.

A- hazy brown, tan head that fades quickly.

S- Amazing! hazelnut upfront fading to coffee and chocolate nuttiness, sweet like an iced mocha latte.

T- nutty, coffee, browned sugar, mocha, light toffee, rich.

M- smooth as silk, delicate and gentle sip after sip, no acidity from the coffee.

O- Wonderful beer for a style I normally do not reach for I would be happy to have this around all the time. another great execution from founders.

4.57/5  rDev +15.4%

Backstage Series #4: Frangelic Mountain Brown. I’m hoping for something like Rogue’s Hazelnut Brown Nectar with a little more power; I’m sure these guys won’t disappoint.

A: Pours big and bubbly, with a translucent ruby-red body and a hell of a lot of foam above. The head’s one of the liveliest I’ve seen on a brown ale, popping and bubbling ferociously as it slowly dwindles to a thin bed of pillowy tan silk, leaving bold tracks of lacing in its wake.

S: Huge aromas of hazelnut coffee waft up from the body; a sheer delight to relish in. Given a blind smell test, I know I wouldn’t say this was a beer – a rare treat. Touches of chocolate, vanilla, roasted malts, Irish cream, and oats come through as well, but it’s all coffee for the most part.

T: This palate is just excellent; great hazelnut tastes all around (even if they are from artificial flavoring). It takes off with a sweet, nutty slickness that takes the form of hazelnuts and cashews, cocoa powder, vanilla nougat, caramel-flavored candy, and peanut brittle. It’s sweet, of course, but not as sweet as what Founders can do (and has done, with CBH) – I’m still enjoying its more complicated earthy notes, and I hate most super-sweet beers. And sprinkled on top is a rich coffee and toasted malt character, showing slightly-burnt toast, cinnamon coffee cake, maple syrup, oatmeal with brown sugar, and, of course, some mild coffee tones. Finishes with a familiar overly-sweetened coffee flavor – one that I found in CBH – which brings the hazelnut to an uncomfortable moment of fake coffee creamer flavor; Thankfully, it’s just a moment: the aftertaste is mild and has some woody alcohol and chocolate syrup to keep it interesting.

M: Relatively thin for such a high ABV, but I’m starting to expect that from this style – if it were any thicker, it would be in imperial territory. That being said, the alcohol is fairly well hidden and it goes down pretty damn easily (watch out for that).

O: Frangelic Mountain Brown pushes the boundaries of American brewing, and I love the result. There’s just something to it that keeps me drinking more and more and more – really, this is the first Backstage series beer I’ve had that I’d really enjoy in a six-pack. Beers like this doesn’t come around too often, so if you have a chance to pick up a bottle, DO IT!

4.56/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours hazelnut brown (how convenient), with slight head and decent lacing.

The aroma has to be the best thing about this beer. Hazelnut and coffee come through and both are very potent. This beer is beyond fragrant. One of my favorite smelling beers.

The taste is rich and the sweetness is quite controlled compared to most brown ales. The coffee comes through with quite a bit of influence, yet it's not aggressive in any way. Hazelnut is just behind it and it's somewhat foundational to the coffee and perhaps what warrants it being classified as a brown ale.
There's an excellent balance achieved between bitterness from the coffee and the sweetness that brown ales are known for.

The body is very creamy and smooth. It has a medium fullness and weight and the finish is slightly dry and sticky.

Overall, this was one of the less extreme backstage beers, but it was done quite tastefully and is perhaps my favorite example of a brown ale and one of the few brown ales that isn't too sweet for me.

The only limiting factor with this is that it seems to be much better when warm. Drinking this cold seems to be so-so while it shines when at room temperature.

4.54/5  rDev +14.6%

Cracked this open with a buddy.

A - Dark brown pour with a brown foam that settles high. Laces in patches.

S - Incredible scent of hazelnut coffee. Wow, just as advertised. There is also scents of light malt, caramel, and cinnamon.

T - I liked the flavor. Impressive coffee notes and nutty flavor. Has a lingering sweetness of caramel. Finish has a sweet dulce de leche flavor.

M - Well balanced and smooth feel. Easy to finish the bottle, but the coffee flavors would be a bit overwhelming over time.

O - I have yet to find a backstage beer from Founders I didn't like. This was a real treat.

4.54/5  rDev +14.6%

Poured a nice clear deep walnut color with a thin tan head.

Had a great smell, big hazelnut coffee aroma.

The flavor is a nice mix of deep roasty malts, bits of smoke, and freshly brewed hazlenut coffee. Just a bit of earthy hops to balance it out.

The mouthfeel is zippy with a bit of slickness.

Very good brown, supremely drinkable.

4.54/5  rDev +14.6%

750 ml bottle. Served in a snifter, the beer pours dark brown with about a half inch light tan head that stayed around for a little while. There's a good amount of lacing, too. I love the aroma of this brew, it smells like hazelnuts, coffee, roasted malt, caramel, and some brown sugar. I think the coffee flavor is dominant at first, with the hazelnut, caramel, and vanilla flavors becoming stronger as the brew warms up more. Very tasty brew! Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's coating and has moderate carbonation. I think this is a pretty good overall brew, if I had another bottle I'd drink it right now! Definitely recommended.

4.54/5  rDev +14.6%

22 oz bottle courtesy of Cuzco pours a nice, clear red color with a sticky beige head. Very nice retention.

Tons of hazelnuts on the aroma with assertive coffee and some dark malts give it a magnificent sweet smell.

Crazy to have a brown ale with this much coffee flavor. Awesome flavor; really smooth and tastes like it has cream of hazelnuts in it (if there were such a thing). Lots going on in here and it all flows together very well. Coffee is smooth and never gets tannic. I love this beer! Thanks a ton, Nate

4.52/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

$7.50 pour a 10oz pour. Served in a tulip.
Sampled 07AUG12

[A] Arrives with a 1 1/2 finger of creamy, compact light to medium light brown head. Retention is just below great but looks spectacular as it recedes leaving a complete sheet of foamy lace stuck to the glass. The body is a rich, chestnut-stained dark brown color. Hazy to the point of being completely opaque. Lacing stays consistent while varying sizes of holes emerge on the earlier deposits. Moderate transparency towards the end of the glass.

[S] While I'm not a fan of hazelnut in coffee, it works exceptionally well in this beer. Interestingly enough, the coffee component is weaker than advertised. Working in my favor, the chocolate seems to take over and pairs wonderfully with the robust hazelnut aroma. This nose is down right fantastic.

[T] Hazelnut, cocoa, rich rendered caramel. Balance and integration are damn near masterful but ... there is a little room for improvement here. I blame the mouthfeel for not carrying out the flavors as judiciously as it could have.

[M] Semi thick, luxuriously creamy body upfront (particularly at warmer temps) but, with stylistic consideration, a slightly aggressive carbonation from mid palate through the end damn near destroys the finish. Quite salvageable but a smoother finish would have taken this beer into another world.

[O] Fantastic brew for my tastes. Obviously most of BA isn't nearly as impressed. But, looking at the stats, this beer seems to do much better when served on tap rather than in the bottle.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured from 750 ml bottle into CBS snifter.

A) Brown, nearly matching the color of the bottle it previously resided in. Held to light, there's a little red in there too. There was a nice 2 finger tan head, which settled quickly to a swirling dusting. Pretty sound lacing, and some legs too.

S) The coffee aroma is more subdued than the hazelnut on the nose. This is very nutty, and a bit woody. There is definitely some vanilla and some brown sugar. This has a little bit of nutella to it.

T) The coffee roast is more evident in the flavor, along with an adequate amount of hops, providing an earthy quality. This ale never gets overly sweet, despite the concoction that it is. The hazelnut, vanilla, and sugar are done right. The 9% ABV deserves mention as well, and only based upon the fact that it is amazingly well hidden. The aftertaste is pleasing hazelnut coffee.

M) A medium body with moderate carbonation. This rests on the palate softly, and provides a pleasant warmth. A nice smooth beer to relax and sip on.

O) I really enjoy brown ales. In fact, it's one of my favorite styles, so of course this is right up my alley. I have to say I found myself comparing this to Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar, which I believe I scored nearly the same.Frangelic Mountain Brown is a very well crafted brew, and I highly recommend. I do believe it is a notch above Rogue's Hazelnut Brown. Having said that, if you can't track down a bottle, Rogue Hazelnut Nectar is a pretty accessible brew, and you can get a sixer for about the price of this release.

4.48/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Frangelic Mountain Brown is the quintessential taproom “one-off” beer: Founders’ brewers created the Mountain Brown series for their taproom in Grand Rapids in 2007. Frangelic Mountain Brown is the 16th iteration in the series of popular brown ales—and it likely won’t be the last. The singular characteristic of this beer comes from the use of hazelnut coffees in the brewing process. The beer has distinct aromatics with sweet and nutty flavors beautifully balanced. Founders is known for its beers made with coffee (i.e., the Breakfast Stout series), but this is both the brewery’s first brown ale and its first beer brewed with hazelnut coffees to be bottled. It clocks in at 9% ABV.
It's amazing with brownies!

Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown from Founders Brewing Company