2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Frangelic Mountain BrownFounders Frangelic Mountain Brown

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Brown Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: bashiba on 03-18-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,082 | Reviews: 291 | Show All Ratings:
nrbw23

1.58/5  rDev -60.2%

A- Pours a dark reddish brown color with a nice brown colored head. Quite a bit of bubbles coming up from the bottom. Head has ok retention and leaves a bit of lacing.

S- Quite a bit of hazelnut and a stale coffe smell. Nothing else jumps out at me. Dominanted by these two.

T- Wow this is just plain brutal and aweful. This brew tasted more like a Coffeemate creamer than a beer. Hazelnut dominants this brew.

M- Pretty thin and quite a bit of carbonation.

O- Wow this is not a very good brew by any means. I very rarely drain pour a brew, but this one met my kitchen sink. I tried to enjoy this one at several different temperatures, but it didn't matter.

08-13-2012 09:39:26 | More by nrbw23
abeckta

New Hampshire

1.75/5  rDev -55.9%

This beer made me feel like I was drinking a bad cup of gas station coffee with hazelnut creamer and a healthy dose of Allen's Coffee Brandy. The mouth feel is thin and oily. There was no head to speak of on the pour. The aroma- COFFEE. Shit, I should have saved this one for tomorrow morning. HAZELNUT. Well, not real hazelnuts. I bought this on the recommendation of the guy at the local home brew shop, and only after I sniffed it did I read on the label "Brown ale brewed with artificially flavored hazelnut coffee". They weren't kidding. The first sip was like killing a butterfly with a hammer, and I began to regret this purchase. I like the bitter finish, but I would like it a lot more if my tongue didn't feel like I licked a stick of butter.

Overall opinion- F+. Click.

08-19-2012 02:29:47 | More by abeckta
Benjiehorn

2.3/5  rDev -42.1%

I'm a huge Founder's fan, and I can honestly say that this is the first time that I've been disappointed in one of their beers. It started off as an above average beer, but the more I got into it, the more I realized that it was an average beer. It could be that I just expected more from Founder's and so my disappointment was greater than if this were brewed by a less stellar brewery. I'm not even sure it was an issue of artificial versus real hazelnut coffee. I would have liked it to be a bit thicker and chewier and that might have cleared up most of my misgivings on this particular ale. Oh well, I still highly anticipate anything new that they put out.

07-24-2012 16:53:05 | More by Benjiehorn
Onenote81

2.3/5  rDev -42.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Thanks to brystmar for this bottle recently. Poured into a pint glass. Pours a ruby-tinted, transparent, milk-chocolate brown. Big hazelnut notes, sugar cookies, light ethanol. Crisp mouth with a decent amount of carbonation. Whoah! Holy cheap hazelnut creamer, Batman! Yowzas. This is sickeningly sweet. Whatever else characteristics I expected are all but drowned out. I can't get past the hazelnut on this one. I knew going into this, that that was the main player with this beer, but let's learn some subtlety, yeah? I need another beer to wash this flavor out. I wanted to try this since it came out, but this is not pleasant. The worst beer I have had from Founders. Pass.

08-01-2012 19:31:44 | More by Onenote81
chanokokoro

2.33/5  rDev -41.3%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into two Founders Brewing Company snifters
Pours a darker brown with a two finger off-white head. The aroma is dominated by hazelnut and coffee. Opens with hazelnut transitions to coffee which continues until I pick up an artificial nutrasweet-like flavor that borders on unpalatable and finishes with more coffee and a bit of alcohol warmth. Adequate carbonation and silky and slick mouthfeel. This brew is probably the biggest disappointment from Founders, and I'm a big fan. Unfortunately, this beer is a perfect example of an added ingredient overpowering a beer rather than complementing and adding more complexity to it. Besides some alcohol warmth in the finish, I'm not sure I would have known this is an American brown ale rather than cool hazelnut coffee. The decision to use artificially flavored ingredients undoubtedly led to the unpleasant flavors I experienced. For the first time ever, it has led me to question whether a Founders brew is a quality product. Founders could have used real hazelnuts, however a conscious decision was made to use artificially flavored coffee, something I would never expect from a brewery of Founders ilk. Finally, the base beer contributes little to this brew except to provide a flavorless malty base for the hazelnut coffee. An appealing appearance and slightly above average mouthfeel are the only above average aspects of this brew.

07-04-2012 06:22:00 | More by chanokokoro
champ103

2.43/5  rDev -38.8%

A: Pours a dark brown color. At first a two finger bubbly beige head forms, but recedes in a second to a thin ring. Not much lace to speak of either.
S: Harsh and abrasive in the nose. Every time I take a whiff, I have to pull back. That fake hazelnut coffee creamer is just so ridiculously apparent, and nothing else really come through. Not very enjoyable.
T: Initially some sweet toasted and caramel malts, though that fades in a second to that fake/artificial hazelnut creamer. One of the most artificial tasting beers I have had. Solvent like alcohol in the back end of the throat as well.
M/D: A medium to full body. Surprisingly high carbonation. Almost prickly on the tongue. Solvent like alcohol and very artificial tasting. I am probably not finishing this.

What a disappointment. There is no way to get past the coffee mate/artificial creamer taste. Not something I care to have again.

12-13-2012 04:03:03 | More by champ103
kdb150

2.5/5  rDev -37%

Picked up a few bottles of this in anticipation of a great experience. I expected very good things from this experiment. Sadly, it was a huge disappointment.

A - Looks great poured into my Russian River pint glass. Nice toasty brown color, and an impressive 2 finger ivory head that stuck around a while, though lacing was minimal. Very attractive.

S - Eh. Some hazelnut and coffee with a bit of toasted malt in the background, but not a ton of aroma from this one.

T - After the aroma, I was less sure about this. The taste was just awful. It tasted like someone took a large-ish brown ale and added too much artificial hazelnut syrup to it. The flavors were sharply different on the tongue and didn't meld together well at all. I tried drinking some colder to see if that would help, but it was the same thing. Not much in the way of coffee flavor. I would have dinged the flavor even more, but there is a sense on the back end that there's a pretty good brown ale under all those artificial hazelnuts. I got through 1/3 of the bottle before I was left with no choice but to drainpour.

M - Decent feel, carbonation felt right, and it was a bit sticky, which is to be expected from a big brown.

O - I'm a bit hastier about my drainpours than most probably are, but this is not a good beer. The artificial flavoring creates a sharp contrast between the hazelnut and brown ale flavors, where they should meld together. The base beer is almost completely drowned out by the hazelnut. I'm hoping 6 months or a year dulls the edges on this one, but this one is almost undrinkable right now.

07-16-2012 12:30:42 | More by kdb150
ao125

2.68/5  rDev -32.5%

When I wake up in the morning, I like having a cup of coffee (or three).
My guilty pleasure is adding Coffee Mate liquid Hazelnut Coffee Creamer to said coffee.

When it comes time to drinking a beer, I don't really want it to taste like my morning coffee.

This, in every way, shape, and form, tastes exactly like alcoholic coffee with hazelnut coffee creamer.

If you're into that, I heavily suggest this beer. If you're not, I heavily don't.

I do have to give Founder's props for absolutely, 100% capturing the flavor exactly - I just don't think it translates well to beer.

I have 1 bottle left, at the time of this review, that I'd be willing to trade for something else.

Bottom line: This is a "love it or hate it" beer. I don't think there is a middle ground.

11-28-2012 19:16:36 | More by ao125
dasenebler

Maine

2.8/5  rDev -29.5%

Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown
11/28/12
750mL

Deep, dark red with mahogany edges. Hazy. Not much of a head to speak of, spotty lacing. (3.5)

Aroma is alcohol, ripe fruit, caramel and hazelnut coffee, the latter of which is strong without being overpowering. (3.5)

Flavor is nuts. No, literally-- it's all hazelnut. It's fine to have that hazelnut coffee aroma, but when this flavor masks all malt complexity and hop character, I begin to question whether or not I'm drinking beer. Moderate sweetness. I guess there's some caramel malt under there, but who's to say? Mouthfeel is medium-heavy and pleasant, though the carbonation seems too low. (2.5, 3)

This beer is basically dessert in a glass. It's more rich than sweet, but the hazelnut coffee component leaves me feeling I've eaten a piece of tiramisu with espresso. It's not my kind of beer, seeing as I like BEER flavor, but it's honestly not THAT bad. (3)

11-29-2012 02:51:15 | More by dasenebler
herman77

2.88/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Nice mahogany color with a small off white head that dies off quick. Spotty lacing at best.

S: Coffee and hazelnuts for sure. Not roasted coffee, but almost stale coffee with some sweetener in it. Some vanilla. Not the best smelling for me at all. Smells a little too fake.

T: Sweet hazelnuts and artificial coffee flavoring. Not overly sweet at all, but lots of hazelnut flavor. The flavors seem like they could go well together, but I can't get over the artificial taste of the hazelnut coffee. Seems like there is a pretty decent brown ale underneath all this. Short finish.

M: Medium to lighter body. Average carbonation.

O: Drinkability isn't the best. ABV is hidden well, seems like this should be like 6-7%. I can see what they are going for, but this is pretty much a miss for me. Can't get over all the artificial flavors in this. First Founders beer that I have not been a big fan of. Can't win them all.

07-19-2012 01:05:27 | More by herman77
chugalug06

Colorado

2.9/5  rDev -27%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Funky looking two-tired head. Half is super bubbly and the top is super foamy. Brew is deep roasty brown color. Head lingers for sometime.. Great lacing.

Tons of hazlenut, not my favorite, but very well rounded. Coffee scents take a back seat to the hazlenut, a bit overwhelming.

Too much hazelnut for my liking.. Nice light carbonation, no bitterness, very dry. Hazelnut is distracting and I can't get many other flavors.

I've seen Founders to MUCH better.. I expected more, especially with the high price tag. Not recommended.

08-09-2012 02:14:58 | More by chugalug06
stakem

2.98/5  rDev -24.9%

Poured into a goblet, the brew appears a clear brown with a yellowish copper hint around the edges when held to the light. A tan cap a finger strong fades to a thin film with spotty lace sticking to the glass.

The aroma is bold with a fresh roasted coffee scent. Quite a nutty aspect with almost a hint of cream, vanilla and chocolate making it's way into the nostrils. I dont have a lot of experience with hazelnut by itself but it is felt in this from the nutty aromatics.

The taste is bitter coffee with again the nutty aspect coming into play pretty directly. Some herbal elements clash a bit with the coffee flavor and blends into a mild fruity alcohol inclusion. More sips of this brew focus more on the roast like burnt coffee that leaves a lasting oily cling with somewhat of a musty aspect inside the mouth.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest level of carbonation. This starts off as a pretty solid brew but halfway through my glass ive had enough and dont want any more. This is one of those brews that I wish I would have shared with more than 2 people. If my pour was limited to 4 ounces, I probably would have rated this higher. But since I had a full glass to ponder over a long duration, it really didnt grow on me. Unlike the other offerings in Founders backstage series, this is one brew I dont care to have again.

07-25-2012 16:35:07 | More by stakem
maximum12

Thanks to my lovely & talented wife for driving out to pick up a bottle of this brew while I was slaving away in the salt mines of Minneapolis. All she had to hear was "hazelnut-coffee" & I believe she was in her car moments later. Speeding. Well, she always speeds, so...the beer. 750 ML bottle split with my wife.

Pours brown with reddishness. Nose is pulsing with hazelnut - nadda else. Smells exactly like my wife's morning cofee. You know, 70% hazelnut creamer, 30% coffee. It's actually more white than anything else.

Frangelic Mountain Brown cloys up my cloy senses. The hazelnut has a fake accent that I can't get past; it doesn't quite hit medicinal or cough syrup, but it tastes like it was conceived by two machines with no regard for nature. And it seems to clash with the coffee, I just don't like the tastes together. The end result, with the big malts, is sickly sweeet. And I love sweet.

The result is a big beer that's a jumble of clashing flavors, none of which are terribly appealing. I could drink this, but it's mediocre by a very long short cut.

07-08-2012 03:20:41 | More by maximum12
TheSevenDuffs

Ontario (Canada)

3.03/5  rDev -23.7%

Thanks to Andrew for sharing this bottle.

A - Dark amber with a ring of white head.

S - Hazelnut coffee - plain and simple. Not much else going on here at all.

T - Hazelnut and coffee flavours completely overpower this beer. A slight bitterness in present in the finish but overall this is very sweet throughout.

M - Medium body. Light carbonation.

O - Glad I tried this at a tasting as there is no way I could have handled a bottle to myself. This is the first Founders offering that I have been disappointed with. Not a bad beer, but very one dimensional.

07-27-2012 22:12:00 | More by TheSevenDuffs
Jaycase

3.08/5  rDev -22.4%

a: medium dark mahogany. two finger head

s: hazelnut coffee

t: sweet hazelnut coffee

m: good carbonation, medium body. a bit dry though

o: The hazelnut coffee taste was overwhelming. If it could have been toned down a bit it might have been better imo. Not worth the price.

08-28-2012 21:47:35 | More by Jaycase
TMoney2591

3.08/5  rDev -22.4%

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

Straight to the big snifter goes each entry in the Backstage Series. If only I had a Founders snifter... Anyway, this stuff pours a deep garnet-sienna topped by a short finger of sweet tan foam. The nose comprises straight roasted hazelnut, a touch of toffee, light coffee, light vanilla, and a kiss of oak. The taste, though, focuses on those damn nuts. Normally, this wouldn't b such a big deal, but it's done to the absolute detriment of everything else. What's worse, not only is the hazelnut now a domineering totalitarian dictator, it is also showing itself to be purely artifice: This isn't real hazelnut, but rather a flavored mixture one would likely pour into one's coffee, were one so inclined one Winter's morn. Due to this, I'm left to mourn what could have been this evening, as I'm left with a kinda meek bit of nutty toffee, light caramel, light coffee, light vanilla, very light oak, and wispy maple syrup, all decked in shiny black leather, bound with ornamental chains, and left in a box in the basement, awaiting the lugubrious advances of the o'erwhelmingly fake hazelnut flavor. Now, it's not altogether offensive or anything, but it's so brazenly boring and artificial that I have trouble drinking this stuff. The body is a lithe medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a generally smooth feel. Overall, this has got to be the biggest disappointment of the Series thus far. Things are just too fake-hazelnut-y to be taken seriously or to be enjoyed in any full capacity. Possibly someone's bag, but certainly not mine, Jack.

10-19-2012 16:02:38 | More by TMoney2591
Jeffo

Netherlands

3.08/5  rDev -22.4%

Bottle provided by Masterski. Cheers for the brews man!

From a 75cl bottle into a snifter

APPEARANCE: Pours a 1+ finger, fizzy, medium-thinner looking, off-white head with decent retention. Clear maroon red or chestnut brown with medium levels of carbonatin evident. Head fades to a thin wisp and ring, both of which remain to the end but leave no lacing down the glass. Lousy head really.

SMELL: Lots of hazelnut on here with some coffee and chocolate in the mix as well. Dark and milk chocolate with the nuts taking the lead here.

TASTE: Lots of hazelnuts and coffee again with dark and milk chocolate again. Just like the nose, this one is very much dominated by the adjuncts. Aftertaste is bold and lingering with lots of nuts, chocoalte, cookie dough and a touch of roast from the malt bill. Flavorful, but somewhat one dimensional and nut heavy.

PALATE: Medium body and carbonation. Creay creamy smooth on the palate, goes down smooth and finishes relatively dry on the palate. Very creamy smooth here.

OVERALL: Exactly as advertised; a brown ale with artificial hazelnut and coffee added. I can't say I'm put off by this one-dimensional, artificial tasting brew, but I can't say I'm overly thrilled with it either. One and done for me, but one I'm glad to have tried, as I've always had very good experiences with Founders. Cheers again for the beer Masterski.

11-05-2012 19:30:30 | More by Jeffo
AleWatcher

3.1/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

Bottle into imperial nonic.

Looks thin... Even for a brown ale. Almost murky-looking coppery orange brown color with a small tan head. Weak retention. Hardly any spotty lacing.

Smells of hazlenut choclate and coffee. Smells very sweet.

The flavor starts sweet, is sweet in the middle, and even sweeter at the backend. Notes of chocolate, hazlenut, coffee, and a surprising amount of booziness.
At least this thing wasn't aged in those god-awful maple barrels-- that would make this hung ENTIRELY undrinkable.
As it is, I can't say I find it to be bad (I will admit I kind of wanted to not like this), but it is highly one dimensional, and way too boozy for a brown ale.
This is one of those beers I look at in the same way as fruit beers-- it is good for what it is... Not mind blowing. Not worth going crazy over-- but as for a one-trick-pony, this does it's little trick prett well... It just isn't good enough that I'd want to see it multiple times.

The body is thin. Coffee-like bitterness on the finish.

Overall-- meh. I've had better, I've had worse. I wouldn't punch my wife in the face for another bottle.

07-19-2012 02:39:15 | More by AleWatcher
TheDudeRules

3.13/5  rDev -21.2%

Hopefully i'm not nuked for this review...

Poured into my Southampton snifter.

A nice brown color. Not murky. Not light. Medium-ish.A fair amount of head. Solid retention. Lacing does in fact remain.

Smell is of bunk hazelnut. It says that on the label. Well maybe the bunk part is left out It's strong. No denying the coffee and bunk hazelnut.

Well.... There are no taste secrets here. H a z e l n u t. Roastiness, cigarette butts, and awfulness.

Thin and highly carbonated.

It isn't the worst beer I've had, but for Founders, this is just plain awful, Have fun wasting your dollars.

07-04-2012 03:09:14 | More by TheDudeRules
ThisWangsChung

Maryland

3.13/5  rDev -21.2%

750mL bottle poured into both a tumbler pint glass and a beer mug; split between two drinkers.

A: Pours a dark burnt sienna color with some chill haze present. The head is a one finger cream color with okay retention. Nice streaks of lace are left on the glass.

S: Smells like a DIPA...no, wait, I lied, it really smells like Frangelico. Milk chocolate, hazelnuts, coffee; it's really Nutella-esque at times. Not very beer-y, but still very enticing. Given what Founders intended to accomplish with this, I'll say they succeeded with flying colors.

T: Sadly a far cry from the aroma. Initially, the flavor is surprisingly fruity, with some notes of darker fruit. The hazelnut coffee gradually builds to the finish; then the aftertaste takes over, which has a strange, chemical note to it. I was worried about the flavors being somewhat artificial, and indeed, the aspartame quality about it really ruins it. Take out the terrible aftertaste, and it's actually pretty good - I like the milk chocolate this presents midpalate in particular. This is something I prefer to swirl around in my mouth, and swallow with hesitance, partly due to the great mouthfeel, but mostly due to the artificial aftertaste. To its credit, it improves as it warms somewhat.

M: VERY creamy smooth, to the point of being delicate, with a moderate texture. The finish is rather wet, allowing the flavors to linger - which is bad news in this case. Still, I have no complaints at all in terms of the general feel. Carbonated decently.

O: I'll give it benefit of the doubt and say this would appeal very well to non beer drinkers, especially Frangelico lovers. For me, this is a tale of one bad note completely spoiling the beer, which is a shame because everything else about it is quite good, even excellent at times. But that damn aftertaste - yeesh. It's not bad enough to drainpour by any stretch, but holy crap, what a disappointment at $14 a bottle. Along with Curmudgeon, this beer proves that the men at Founders are indeed mortals capable of making mistakes.

08-24-2012 22:45:50 | More by ThisWangsChung
PicoPapa

Connecticut

3.13/5  rDev -21.2%

750mL bottle. Pours a medium to dark brown color with an inch of light tan head. Good amount of lacing. Aroma is a big whiff of hazelnut coffee, sweetness, caramel, vanilla and earth. The taste is a cloyingly sweet hazelnut flavor with an artificial sweetener aftertaste. Nutty and earthy. Hints of caramel and vanilla but the main flavor is the hazelnut. The artificial sweetener taste doesnt go away and almost has a metallic taste to it. Thin mouthfeel. I love coffee beers but the artificial sweetener and hazelnut flavors are just not working here. This beer isn't bad but isn't great either. 750mL is probably too large a format for this beer. A 4 pack of 12oz bottles would have been a better call. Overall, a disappointing beer that I dont need to drink again.

11-26-2012 01:37:40 | More by PicoPapa
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.15/5  rDev -20.7%

I was not a big fan of this flavoured coffee beer experience. The infused hazelnut wafts aroma, very roasted taste and dry finish. Its all about this flavour and its not really a beer to me, I am OK with many of these coffee beers. Not this time. Doug's bottle.

07-23-2012 00:08:19 | More by Sammy
tewaris

3.15/5  rDev -20.7%

Clear with a dark amber color, not exactly brown. Some head.

Toasted hazelnuts dominate the aroma, not much of a coffee presence here. Never thought I would say this but sweet and artificial flavors dominate this beer. Everything about the mouthfeel is balanced, medium whatever but the beer itself is pretty mediocre.

I think it is well made, but the recipe sucks ass IMO. The "backstage series" is an utter flop compared to the regular and seasonal lineup of Founders.

Avoid at the price.

4, 3, 3, 4, 3

08-25-2012 22:36:15 | More by tewaris
sukwonee

Washington

3.15/5  rDev -20.7%

A: Medium brown color body (transparent) with 1 finger head.

S: It smells like hazenut flavoured coffee. Which is just okay for me I guess.

T: It tastes just like it smells at first, and then followed by some dark fruit, alcohol, malt. Not very impressive, but not so bad either

M: Good amount of carbonation, dry finish.

O: It's the seond Founders beer (first one was Curmudgeon) that did not wow me. It was okay, but not great.

09-04-2012 03:50:15 | More by sukwonee
sevenarts

3.16/5  rDev -20.4%

A: Clear ruby/cola brown color, modest off-white head with not much retention and a little lacing.

S: Lots of hazelnut, as promised. Nutty and sweet, with a bit of vanilla and subtle roasted malts beneath the creamy nuttiness.

T/M: Well, it is what it's supposed to be, heavy on the sweet hazelnut. That hazelnut coffee creamer flavor dominates, with a heavy milky sweetness to every sip. The initial sweetness and nuttiness is eventually joined by a roasted malt flavor, adding just a touch of much-needed bitterness to this syrupy brew, but never enough to truly offset the sweet hazelnut. Mouthfeel is medium, tending towards light and thin.

O: I'm not sure what I expected, but this is way too sweet and one-dimensional for me, especially since I've got a whole bomber sitting here. It definitely should have been in 20 oz. bottles, but even then it's just not a successful experiment. I like sweet beers generally, but this is too much with not enough extra character to balance it.

01-22-2013 23:04:00 | More by sevenarts