Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Frangelic Mountain BrownFounders Frangelic Mountain Brown

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Brown Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: bashiba on 03-18-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

1.5/5  rDev -62.3%

08-24-2012 02:09:41 | More by kscaldef
nrbw23

1.58/5  rDev -60.3%

A- Pours a dark reddish brown color with a nice brown colored head. Quite a bit of bubbles coming up from the bottom. Head has ok retention and leaves a bit of lacing.

S- Quite a bit of hazelnut and a stale coffe smell. Nothing else jumps out at me. Dominanted by these two.

T- Wow this is just plain brutal and aweful. This brew tasted more like a Coffeemate creamer than a beer. Hazelnut dominants this brew.

M- Pretty thin and quite a bit of carbonation.

O- Wow this is not a very good brew by any means. I very rarely drain pour a brew, but this one met my kitchen sink. I tried to enjoy this one at several different temperatures, but it didn't matter.

08-13-2012 09:39:26 | More by nrbw23
abeckta

New Hampshire

1.75/5  rDev -56%

This beer made me feel like I was drinking a bad cup of gas station coffee with hazelnut creamer and a healthy dose of Allen's Coffee Brandy. The mouth feel is thin and oily. There was no head to speak of on the pour. The aroma- COFFEE. Shit, I should have saved this one for tomorrow morning. HAZELNUT. Well, not real hazelnuts. I bought this on the recommendation of the guy at the local home brew shop, and only after I sniffed it did I read on the label "Brown ale brewed with artificially flavored hazelnut coffee". They weren't kidding. The first sip was like killing a butterfly with a hammer, and I began to regret this purchase. I like the bitter finish, but I would like it a lot more if my tongue didn't feel like I licked a stick of butter.

Overall opinion- F+. Click.

08-19-2012 02:29:47 | More by abeckta

2.25/5  rDev -43.5%

12-02-2013 19:54:13 | More by vinny21bal
Onenote81

2.3/5  rDev -42.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Thanks to brystmar for this bottle recently. Poured into a pint glass. Pours a ruby-tinted, transparent, milk-chocolate brown. Big hazelnut notes, sugar cookies, light ethanol. Crisp mouth with a decent amount of carbonation. Whoah! Holy cheap hazelnut creamer, Batman! Yowzas. This is sickeningly sweet. Whatever else characteristics I expected are all but drowned out. I can't get past the hazelnut on this one. I knew going into this, that that was the main player with this beer, but let's learn some subtlety, yeah? I need another beer to wash this flavor out. I wanted to try this since it came out, but this is not pleasant. The worst beer I have had from Founders. Pass.

08-01-2012 19:31:44 | More by Onenote81
Benjiehorn

2.3/5  rDev -42.2%

I'm a huge Founder's fan, and I can honestly say that this is the first time that I've been disappointed in one of their beers. It started off as an above average beer, but the more I got into it, the more I realized that it was an average beer. It could be that I just expected more from Founder's and so my disappointment was greater than if this were brewed by a less stellar brewery. I'm not even sure it was an issue of artificial versus real hazelnut coffee. I would have liked it to be a bit thicker and chewier and that might have cleared up most of my misgivings on this particular ale. Oh well, I still highly anticipate anything new that they put out.

07-24-2012 16:53:05 | More by Benjiehorn
chanokokoro

2.33/5  rDev -41.5%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into two Founders Brewing Company snifters
Pours a darker brown with a two finger off-white head. The aroma is dominated by hazelnut and coffee. Opens with hazelnut transitions to coffee which continues until I pick up an artificial nutrasweet-like flavor that borders on unpalatable and finishes with more coffee and a bit of alcohol warmth. Adequate carbonation and silky and slick mouthfeel. This brew is probably the biggest disappointment from Founders, and I'm a big fan. Unfortunately, this beer is a perfect example of an added ingredient overpowering a beer rather than complementing and adding more complexity to it. Besides some alcohol warmth in the finish, I'm not sure I would have known this is an American brown ale rather than cool hazelnut coffee. The decision to use artificially flavored ingredients undoubtedly led to the unpleasant flavors I experienced. For the first time ever, it has led me to question whether a Founders brew is a quality product. Founders could have used real hazelnuts, however a conscious decision was made to use artificially flavored coffee, something I would never expect from a brewery of Founders ilk. Finally, the base beer contributes little to this brew except to provide a flavorless malty base for the hazelnut coffee. An appealing appearance and slightly above average mouthfeel are the only above average aspects of this brew.

07-04-2012 06:22:00 | More by chanokokoro
champ103

2.43/5  rDev -38.9%

A: Pours a dark brown color. At first a two finger bubbly beige head forms, but recedes in a second to a thin ring. Not much lace to speak of either.
S: Harsh and abrasive in the nose. Every time I take a whiff, I have to pull back. That fake hazelnut coffee creamer is just so ridiculously apparent, and nothing else really come through. Not very enjoyable.
T: Initially some sweet toasted and caramel malts, though that fades in a second to that fake/artificial hazelnut creamer. One of the most artificial tasting beers I have had. Solvent like alcohol in the back end of the throat as well.
M/D: A medium to full body. Surprisingly high carbonation. Almost prickly on the tongue. Solvent like alcohol and very artificial tasting. I am probably not finishing this.

What a disappointment. There is no way to get past the coffee mate/artificial creamer taste. Not something I care to have again.

12-13-2012 04:03:03 | More by champ103