Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown - Founders Brewing Company

American Brown Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: bashiba on 03-18-2012

2.75/5  rDev -31.1%

4.24/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle into a snifter. Bought on Alabama's first day of legalized large bottles!

A: Dark, muddy brown. Almost no head on this, just a bubbly tan ring around the outside of the glass. Obviously a very large beer.

S: Wow. Aroma is huge here. Hazelnut, coffee, brown sugar, very sweet smell.

T: Right after the nose. Hazelnut and coffee flavors are huge and every bit of this, maybe even some peanut butter like sweetness? Some syrupy notes in it as well. Overall, a big brown bomb of hazelnut and coffee with light bittering to keep it from being too overwhelming.

M: Chewy as one would expect. Slick in the mouth, with only a light carbonation tingle. It's a big beer with a big body, as one would expect.

O: Founders has an incredible take on bringing depth to a beer, and Frangelic fits that mold. Sweet, sugary, but complex in flavors. Hazelnut dominates, but subtly is there. Great ale.

3.75/5  rDev -6%

3.58/5  rDev -10.3%

Thanks to Strangebrew321 for this one.

Pours a very dark brown with 1 finger of khaki head.

The smell is straight hazelnut coffee. Heavy on the artificial hazelnut, light on the coffe, then just a bit of roasty, chocolate malt behind it. No discernible hop presence on the nose.

The taste is pretty much the same. Really feels like I am drinking an alcoholic version of hazelnut coffee.

Mouthfeel is nice. I would have never guessed 9%, drinks much lighter than that.

Overall, glad I got to try this one, but I won't seek it out again. I occasionally like a cup of artificially flavored hazelnut coffee in the afternoon and this is no different. If you don't like cheap hazelnut coffee, you will not like this beer.

3.85/5  rDev -3.5%

Frangelic pours a slightly off colored brown that becomes a deeply rich mahogany color when held to the light. A light beige one and a half finger head is comprised of large, soapy bubbles and take a small time disappearing. It's a deep looking brown ale but it's nothing to write home about.

Artificial hazelnut and malt are the first two things I get on the nose. Not too artificial smelling but definitely there. There's a slight alcohol on the background but it's very hidden. Hazelnut, coffee, malt, caramel and alcohol are about all I get from this beer. It's smells very sweet and slightly one dimensional, but not in a bad way. The nut scent stands out here and I'm sure that's what Founders was shooting for.

Hazelnut flavored coffee up front. What can I say? The malt follows and is very nutty and sweet. Lots of caramel flavors under coffee. The malt backbone here really reminds me of Fat Tire for some reason...
Very sweet and I see why some don't like it. I enjoy the sweetness though but I don't know about dropping $13 a bottle for this more than once.

Overall a medium thickness in the mouth. Thinner than a stout but thicker than the usual brown ale.

Overall, a great brown ale with an interesting showcase ingredient. I fail to find the "nasty" artificiality that some are getting and I find that the artificial hazelnut note works out well within the whole beer. The price and availability are the only limiting factors. While I'm delighted to have had a bottle, it's not something I'll chase down.

3.95/5  rDev -1%

Picked up a bottle in a trade form Holmes698. Thanks!

Poured on 8/3/12.

Appearance: Brown with an amber hue and one finger of foam that settled to a rim. Some spotty lace.

Smell: Lightly roasted malts, strong coffee scent, and a unique hazelnut aroma.

Taste: Sweet up front with a hazelnut emphasis. Coffee is not overwhelming, but it is a centerpiece of this beer. Light roasted malts and a minimal hop presence keep this one slick as it finishes. A little bit nutty as well.

Mouthfeel: On the light sid for this style with average carbonation. Just a bit of warming from the booze.

Overall: Didn't blow me away, but I can't say I didn't enjoy it. If you like coffee and hazelnut, give it a try.

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

3.75/5  rDev -6%

4.22/5  rDev +5.8%

I really wanted to love this one...I really did, especially given all the negative reviews. This is the third bottle I've tried and I just can't get into it.

A: Good - reddish brown with a moderate amount of head.

S: The smell is simply amazing. I personally dislike hazelnut coffee, but I can't stop smelling this (probably why I've bought so many bottles). I almost recommend buying one just to sniff it.

T: This is the problem, the taste is not there. It tastes like a poor to average brown ale doused in hazelnut syrup. Its too bitter and too sweet. In all honesty it seems hard to classify as a beer - I second other reviewers who could see this as an offering from Starbucks.

M: Way too thin.

O: Founders I love you but I don't understand how this came to market. I'm in love with how this beer smells, but it may be because it smells like dessert. I just think this is a below average beer. I have 2 more in the cellar...maybe in the future I will become a believer!

Edit: maybe I was influenced was all the negative hype that follow the release or it's just the age, but I've had this a few more times now and have really come to enjoy it. Scores update to reflect, but not comments

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%