Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Frangelic Mountain BrownFounders Frangelic Mountain Brown

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Brown Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: bashiba on 03-18-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

District of Columbia

4.2/5  rDev +5.5%

From 750mL bottle to CBS snifter on 7/3/12
*From notes

A: Clean, cola brown in color. A big, straight pour yields a 1.75 finger tanned leather head. Solid retention. Decent lacing and collar follow.

S: If you like hazelnuts like I do, then this one's for you. Mounds of hazelnut reminds me my freshly brewed morning pot o' coffee. Killer, killer stuff. As it warms, hints of salted peanuts, maybe macadamia nuts reveal themselves.

T: Packed with nutty hazel (is that an actual thing?) The brown base allows the hazelnuts to shine, and the base beer takes a backseat - for the better. I get some mild light roast, and luckily it ain't too green. Maybe some milk chocolate chocolate chips toward the back? I like it. I like it a lot.

M: Above average but not outstanding. I mean it's a Brown. And though the ABV is big, it's not meant to be overly viscous I don't think.

O: After the (slight) letdown that was CBH, I wanna welcome back Founders Backstage Series. A really pleasant, easy going and flavorful Brown Ale, one I urge all of you to DRINK FRESH. DO NOT AGE THIS ONE - the hazelnuts will fade into mediocrity. Well done. I really, really hope this convinces Founders to FINALLY bottle their Cashew Mountain Brown!

07-08-2012 04:51:32 | More by Rhettroactive
mkennedy119

07-08-2012 04:34:48 | More by mkennedy119
buzze40

07-08-2012 03:33:25 | More by buzze40
maximum12

Thanks to my lovely & talented wife for driving out to pick up a bottle of this brew while I was slaving away in the salt mines of Minneapolis. All she had to hear was "hazelnut-coffee" & I believe she was in her car moments later. Speeding. Well, she always speeds, so...the beer. 750 ML bottle split with my wife.

Pours brown with reddishness. Nose is pulsing with hazelnut - nadda else. Smells exactly like my wife's morning cofee. You know, 70% hazelnut creamer, 30% coffee. It's actually more white than anything else.

Frangelic Mountain Brown cloys up my cloy senses. The hazelnut has a fake accent that I can't get past; it doesn't quite hit medicinal or cough syrup, but it tastes like it was conceived by two machines with no regard for nature. And it seems to clash with the coffee, I just don't like the tastes together. The end result, with the big malts, is sickly sweeet. And I love sweet.

The result is a big beer that's a jumble of clashing flavors, none of which are terribly appealing. I could drink this, but it's mediocre by a very long short cut.

07-08-2012 03:20:41 | More by maximum12
Treebs

3.84/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

750 ml bottle served in a Firestone Walker tulip.

A: Pours a dark brown color with some ruby highlights. A frothy off white head forms on the pour. A thick, bubbly ring leaves some sticky lace.

S: Roasted coffee beans and a hazelnut sweetness are huge. This smells like an iced coffee almost.

T: I get more of the normal brown ale flavors in the taste. Roasted malts with ground coffee and crushed hazelnut sweetness. Definitely sweet and nutty. Little chocolate on the finish. Booze is very well hidden.

M: Smooth and creamy with a medium carbonation. Highly drinkable for being 9% and a brown ale.

O: I think this would be a great fall beer, but it was still good. Really reminded me of an iced coffee. I feel like it was still missing some layer of flavor, though.

07-08-2012 01:17:01 | More by Treebs
jhighlandbrewing

07-07-2012 23:21:48 | More by jhighlandbrewing
rlee1390

Indiana

4.3/5  rDev +8%

A-Clear ruby brown, two finger head, not much carbonation.

S-Lots of coffee (almost overbearing, but not there) some caramel as well.

T-Smooth coffee flavor, well balanced with nuts and caramel rounding out, great balance with good bitterness as well.

M-Medium bodied, creamy with some carbonation.

O-A wonderful beer, first of the Founders Backstage series I've tried, Founders know what they are doing.

07-07-2012 21:56:38 | More by rlee1390
bsp77

3.73/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Robust reddish-brown with thick light tan head and some lacing rings. Mostly dies down after a few.

Smell: Smells like flavored coffee, which makes me a little worried about the taste. Nevertheless, it smells great, with coffee and hazelnut. Sweet and nutty.

Taste: Tastes like Hazelnut Coffee. Big surprise. Nutty, roasty, and with a lingering, light bitterness (not sure if from the roast, coffee, nuttiness or hops). There is a very light sweetness at the finish as well, but not getting the artificial sweetener taste that some are complaining about. Actually the bitterness, while mild, is strangely astringent.

Feel: Lighter body than expected and maybe a little low in carbonation. Mostly dry finish. Smooth, but just oddly thin.

Overall: Not sure what to think here. It is not the pure deliciousness that I usually get from Founders, but it is also not the saccharine mess that some have described it as. Flavors are just a little one dimensional, and a little rough around the edges.

07-07-2012 21:09:38 | More by bsp77

seeswo

07-07-2012 13:06:04 | More by seeswo
Dope

3.9/5  rDev -2%

A: Pours a nice deep brown with a good sized dense tan head. Fades slowly, leaving an almost solid wall of lacing.

S: Pure hazelnut coffee. A hint of some sweet cream and vanilla as well.

T: Lots of hazelnut up front and throughout the brew. Fairly strong but not too overpowering coffee in the middle. A little toffee and then finishes sweet with that creamy vanilla flavor. Hazelnut flavor is a bit artificial, not as smooth as I would like.

M: Fairly heavy, a nice match.

O: A pretty solid brew but unfortunately it falls a little short of the other Backstage releases. I'm not a big coffee fan but I do like hazelnut. The hazelnut tasted fake and the brew ends up fairly simple and a little unbalanced as the hazelnut and coffee dominates completely.

07-07-2012 03:34:23 | More by Dope
RoamingGnome

Wisconsin

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured from 750 ml bottle into CBS snifter.

A) Brown, nearly matching the color of the bottle it previously resided in. Held to light, there's a little red in there too. There was a nice 2 finger tan head, which settled quickly to a swirling dusting. Pretty sound lacing, and some legs too.

S) The coffee aroma is more subdued than the hazelnut on the nose. This is very nutty, and a bit woody. There is definitely some vanilla and some brown sugar. This has a little bit of nutella to it.

T) The coffee roast is more evident in the flavor, along with an adequate amount of hops, providing an earthy quality. This ale never gets overly sweet, despite the concoction that it is. The hazelnut, vanilla, and sugar are done right. The 9% ABV deserves mention as well, and only based upon the fact that it is amazingly well hidden. The aftertaste is pleasing hazelnut coffee.

M) A medium body with moderate carbonation. This rests on the palate softly, and provides a pleasant warmth. A nice smooth beer to relax and sip on.

O) I really enjoy brown ales. In fact, it's one of my favorite styles, so of course this is right up my alley. I have to say I found myself comparing this to Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar, which I believe I scored nearly the same.Frangelic Mountain Brown is a very well crafted brew, and I highly recommend. I do believe it is a notch above Rogue's Hazelnut Brown. Having said that, if you can't track down a bottle, Rogue Hazelnut Nectar is a pretty accessible brew, and you can get a sixer for about the price of this release.

07-07-2012 03:16:53 | More by RoamingGnome
davey101

Connecticut

3.18/5  rDev -20.1%

750ml bottle into a tulip glass. Poured at around cellar temperature.

A - Dark brown body almost bordering on black when the glass is full. When the level is lower it allows a lot of light to penetrate. Small one finger high head with great lacing. Alcoholic legs after a swirl.

S - Initially its roasty coffee beans then a fantastic hazelnut sweetness sweeps over. Really one dimensional but smells a lot like liquid Nutella, which is not a bad thing at all.

T - Roasted malts, coffee beans, sweet and nutty hazelnuts then...ugh. Some sort of artificial sweetener aftertaste is going on here. Its similar to that twangy off flavor you get in drinks sweetened with sucralose, only much more subtle. Surprisingly no bitterness from the roasted malts or the coffee. Mouth feel is light and highly carbonated, pretty average for a brown ale. Alcohol is really well hidden here, too bad the flavor hiding it's presence is the fake sweetness.

O - I love Founders. I thought Blushing Monk and CBH were excellent beers for their respected styles and did well in the backstage series. This beer was a huge letdown for me though. Smells fantastic and the initial taste is actually really great, its just this lingering artificial aftertaste that is killing it for me. I'll have no problem killing this bottle by myself, but its just a very average beer in my opinion.

07-07-2012 02:52:44 | More by davey101
WYVYRN527

3.78/5  rDev -5%

Poured into a snifter from a 750 ml. bottle.

A Deep murky brown in color with a thick off-white head that settles slowly to a thin film on the surface. Lacing is decent, but carbonation is subdued.

S: This beer smells like it's description. It's straight-up hazelnut coffee with some toasty notes.

T: Much like the smell. Sweet up front, with fresh toast and caramel, followed by a swath of hazelnut, espresso, and some slightly fruity notes. Finish has a slightly sweet, boozy Frangelico character.

Notes: Full-bodied and loaded with flavor. This beer coats the palate and has a long, lingering finish. Still pretty darn tasty. There is almost too much coffee up front, and although the brewery insists that it be consumed fresh, I think some age will help it mellow a bit.

07-07-2012 02:38:50 | More by WYVYRN527
Hanzo

07-07-2012 02:16:46 | More by Hanzo
cfh64

07-07-2012 01:02:37 | More by cfh64
paytonpowell

3.38/5  rDev -15.1%

A: Absolutely gorgeous appearance, truly wondrous clear brown with a light head in a wine stem.

S: Pure pure pure hazelnut, so much so it literally blankets every other aspect of the beer which wants to peek through but just can't quite make it. This aspect was a bit of a detractor for me, granted I like and appreciate subtlety more in my beers but this was like being a baby seal clubbed in the head by a hazelnut coffee tin.

T: For me, the taste offered a bit more than the the nose, still incredibly nutty but it had hints of mahogany and pipe tobacco in the distance. The linger aftertaste of hazelnut to me was far more pleasant than the smooth but every present taste on the front of the palate.

M: Incredibly smooth and velvety with a supremely pleasant warm alcohol sensation that will make this great in about six months or so. As has been said earlier this is not nearly as light on the palate as the clarity would lead you to believe and there is a healthy resinous feel to the brew, noticeable but not detracting.

O: I am not overly impressed by this beer on the whole, the clarity and mouthfeel to me definitely caught my attention but the nose was just too much. I definitely agree with previous posts in thinking it may have been smarter for a 12oz release but that is just a thought. I can see the more subtle qualities of this beer really shining through with aging but I am not sure if I would put more than 6-12 months on it personally. I definitely look forward to enjoying mine on a very cold MN winters eve later this year.

07-07-2012 00:50:21 | More by paytonpowell
aasher

Indiana

4.35/5  rDev +9.3%

Frangelic Mountain brown pours a medium bodied taupe brown in color with a really nice and creamy, one finger beige head. The nose isn't as over the top as I expected. It smells a lot like An imperial Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar, but with coffee added. The coffee is light and the hazelnut is pretty dominant in the nose. It smells like iced coffee. It's nice nonetheless. The flavors are really well integrated. It really does taste like an iced coffee. Dark malts, light chocolate, chilled coffee, and hazelnut creamer dominate. It is really smooth and the lighter body serves this one well. I like it a lot. It's not the most complex beer in the world but t has really nice flavor, great drinkability and they accomplished what they were going for. This is a must try for coffee lovers. Founders just made a brown ale interesting *head explodes*

07-07-2012 00:37:36 | More by aasher