Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown - Founders Brewing Company

American Brown Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: bashiba on 03-18-2012

4.21/5  rDev +5.5%

350 mL bottle poured into a snifter glass

A: medium brown, translucent in the light. 1-finger tan head which dissipated quickly

S: my favorite part of this beer: sweet hazelnut coffee scent, very distinct and pungent. Reminds me of the emotion of smelling morning coffee before you've had a cup.

T: coffee-with-hazelnut-syrup presence, noticeably sweet overall. Not much alcohol taste, though it is 9%abv.. Initial hops kick fades to hazelnut syrup aftertaste, very rich.

M: very smooth, meduim-thin feel and dry finish, low carbonation.

O: very interesting brew, definitely a dessert beer IMO. Almost stout-like with the heavy coffee presence in smell/taste, but lighter ale characteristics in the mouthfeel and appearance. A very good drinking experience, though it was a little too syrupy- sweet for my personal taste. The smell alone is worth it though.

3.87/5  rDev -3%

Pours very dark brown with a small white head fading into a wisp clinging to the side of the glass a bit.

They certainly nailed the intended aroma. Good roasted coffee along with some nuttiness. Smells a lot like the Cashew Mountain Brown with a little less sweetness.

Taste is similar. Roasted coffee bitterness with a hazelnut coffee creamer presence. Nutty and a little sweet. Finishes with coffee on the back of the tongue.

Mouthfeel is my beef with this beer. A little too thin. I'd prefer a thicker viscous mouthfeel to support the nutty flavors. As is, it sometimes tastes like weak coffee.

Pretty solid beer although I wish there were a better mouthfeel. Not a ton of complexity beyond the coffee and hazelnut, but that's ok beccause those two flavors work well together. Drink these fresh. I have a feeling this one will be horribly bland once the coffee fades.

4.35/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle from The Wine Seller in Ann Arbor. Pours a deep brown color with a one finger off white head, looks pretty creamy. Aroma is a massive punch of hazelnut coffee, sweet, with some earthiness. Flavor follows suit, with a lightly creamy mouthfeel, big hazelnuts, and lots of easy drinking coffee. If I closed my eyes and sipped this I would think you gave me some iced coffee from Panera or something. Body is medium, with plenty of carbonation. Beautiful lingering hazelnut on the palate. I thought this was excellent.

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

3.95/5  rDev -1%

No freshness dating. From first bottle release I know of.

A= Pours a deep thick looking brown color. I've heard people say this is black but it's for sure a brown color to me with a small half finger on head from my pour and a tiny bit of lacing on the glass and little retention on the head.

S= Hazelnut coffee for sure. A strong hazelnut aroma with a nice coffee roast to it. I would actually say that's about it for the smell. Smells like an iced hazelnut coffee. Not really much else.

T= The taste is again strong hazelnut coffee. A boat load of hazelnut with a little less of the coffee bitterness and flavor to follow. The brown ale backbone is there. I've read reviews that say they don't get brown ale in it. I find brown ales to be a sort of boring category. There's a little sweetness to this that I can attribute to the brown ale. What else do you really look for in a brown ale? A little malty sweetness and maybe a tiny bit of roast. This is exactly what I figured it would be which is some hazelnut coffee topping an underwhelming style.

M= A little high on the carbonation I think. Good carbonation for a brown ale but a little high for a coffee beer... Dunno where to put this.

O= This is pretty much what I thought it would be. A boring base beer with a great hazelnut coffee flavor on top of it. A solid brew but not really the most exciting thing in the world.

3.85/5  rDev -3.5%

Always excited to try a new Founders brew. Translucent brown body and medium head. Zero lace, poor retention on the head.

Pungent hazelnut extract aroma atop the coffee base. You know those little tubs of flavored coffee creamer? It smells exactly like the hazelnut flavor of those.

Hazelnut extract is front and center. There's a decent brown ale underneath all the artificial flavors here; really wish they'd foregone the nuts and left it as simply a coffee brown ale. Finishes with some boozy warmth at the end which feels out of place.

My least favorite Bakstage Series brew thus far. C'mon guys, I've got high expectations from Founders for a reason!

4.19/5  rDev +5%

I had the pleasure of having roughly 20 servings on tap over the course of the Spring at Founders and have now had one of my bottles I scored locally in West Michigan.

This beer had some HUGE shoes to fill in the backstage series, Better Half and CBS are a tough act to follow....

I think this beer really lived up to the Founders tradition of excellent brews, smells as good as the best coffee house in America and the taste is INSANELY good. So smooth and flavorful, despite it being 100 when I opened the bottle, it was still so smooth and delicious. If they ever bottle Bourbon Barrel Sumatra Mountain Brown or Cashew Mountain Brown, take this beer and times it by 100 and you have those.

750ml poured into my Founder's Tulip

A: Dark brown with a two finger off-white head.

S: Lots of hazelnut and coffee take the forefront of the aroma. I'm also picking up a sugary sweet smell underneath the hazelnut and coffee.

T: Strong hazelnut upfront. As the hazelnut fades into the background, a malty sweetness emerges until a slight bitterness from the coffee settles out the back.

Medium carbonation and body

I really enjoyed this beer. As it began to warm up all of the flavors began to intensify and really brought the beer to its full potential. This would have made an excellent fall release. Nonetheless, Founder's has put out another top notch brew.

Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown from Founders Brewing Company