Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown - Founders Brewing Company

Reviews: 300 | Hads: 1,175
4.22/5  rDev +6.6%

From 750mL bottle to CBS snifter on 7/3/12
*From notes

A: Clean, cola brown in color. A big, straight pour yields a 1.75 finger tanned leather head. Solid retention. Decent lacing and collar follow.

S: If you like hazelnuts like I do, then this one's for you. Mounds of hazelnut reminds me my freshly brewed morning pot o' coffee. Killer, killer stuff. As it warms, hints of salted peanuts, maybe macadamia nuts reveal themselves.

T: Packed with nutty hazel (is that an actual thing?) The brown base allows the hazelnuts to shine, and the base beer takes a backseat - for the better. I get some mild light roast, and luckily it ain't too green. Maybe some milk chocolate chocolate chips toward the back? I like it. I like it a lot.

M: Above average but not outstanding. I mean it's a Brown. And though the ABV is big, it's not meant to be overly viscous I don't think.

O: After the (slight) letdown that was CBH, I wanna welcome back Founders Backstage Series. A really pleasant, easy going and flavorful Brown Ale, one I urge all of you to DRINK FRESH. DO NOT AGE THIS ONE - the hazelnuts will fade into mediocrity. Well done. I really, really hope this convinces Founders to FINALLY bottle their Cashew Mountain Brown!

Thanks to my lovely & talented wife for driving out to pick up a bottle of this brew while I was slaving away in the salt mines of Minneapolis. All she had to hear was "hazelnut-coffee" & I believe she was in her car moments later. Speeding. Well, she always speeds, so...the beer. 750 ML bottle split with my wife.

Pours brown with reddishness. Nose is pulsing with hazelnut - nadda else. Smells exactly like my wife's morning cofee. You know, 70% hazelnut creamer, 30% coffee. It's actually more white than anything else.

Frangelic Mountain Brown cloys up my cloy senses. The hazelnut has a fake accent that I can't get past; it doesn't quite hit medicinal or cough syrup, but it tastes like it was conceived by two machines with no regard for nature. And it seems to clash with the coffee, I just don't like the tastes together. The end result, with the big malts, is sickly sweeet. And I love sweet.

The result is a big beer that's a jumble of clashing flavors, none of which are terribly appealing. I could drink this, but it's mediocre by a very long short cut.

3.84/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

750 ml bottle served in a Firestone Walker tulip.

A: Pours a dark brown color with some ruby highlights. A frothy off white head forms on the pour. A thick, bubbly ring leaves some sticky lace.

S: Roasted coffee beans and a hazelnut sweetness are huge. This smells like an iced coffee almost.

T: I get more of the normal brown ale flavors in the taste. Roasted malts with ground coffee and crushed hazelnut sweetness. Definitely sweet and nutty. Little chocolate on the finish. Booze is very well hidden.

M: Smooth and creamy with a medium carbonation. Highly drinkable for being 9% and a brown ale.

O: I think this would be a great fall beer, but it was still good. Really reminded me of an iced coffee. I feel like it was still missing some layer of flavor, though.

4.27/5  rDev +7.8%

A-Clear ruby brown, two finger head, not much carbonation.

S-Lots of coffee (almost overbearing, but not there) some caramel as well.

T-Smooth coffee flavor, well balanced with nuts and caramel rounding out, great balance with good bitterness as well.

M-Medium bodied, creamy with some carbonation.

O-A wonderful beer, first of the Founders Backstage series I've tried, Founders know what they are doing.

3.77/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Robust reddish-brown with thick light tan head and some lacing rings. Mostly dies down after a few.

Smell: Smells like flavored coffee, which makes me a little worried about the taste. Nevertheless, it smells great, with coffee and hazelnut. Sweet and nutty.

Taste: Tastes like Hazelnut Coffee. Big surprise. Nutty, roasty, and with a lingering, light bitterness (not sure if from the roast, coffee, nuttiness or hops). There is a very light sweetness at the finish as well, but not getting the artificial sweetener taste that some are complaining about. Actually the bitterness, while mild, is strangely astringent.

Feel: Lighter body than expected and maybe a little low in carbonation. Mostly dry finish. Smooth, but just oddly thin.

Overall: Not sure what to think here. It is not the pure deliciousness that I usually get from Founders, but it is also not the saccharine mess that some have described it as. Flavors are just a little one dimensional, and a little rough around the edges.

3.9/5  rDev -1.5%

A: Pours a nice deep brown with a good sized dense tan head. Fades slowly, leaving an almost solid wall of lacing.

S: Pure hazelnut coffee. A hint of some sweet cream and vanilla as well.

T: Lots of hazelnut up front and throughout the brew. Fairly strong but not too overpowering coffee in the middle. A little toffee and then finishes sweet with that creamy vanilla flavor. Hazelnut flavor is a bit artificial, not as smooth as I would like.

M: Fairly heavy, a nice match.

O: A pretty solid brew but unfortunately it falls a little short of the other Backstage releases. I'm not a big coffee fan but I do like hazelnut. The hazelnut tasted fake and the brew ends up fairly simple and a little unbalanced as the hazelnut and coffee dominates completely.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured from 750 ml bottle into CBS snifter.

A) Brown, nearly matching the color of the bottle it previously resided in. Held to light, there's a little red in there too. There was a nice 2 finger tan head, which settled quickly to a swirling dusting. Pretty sound lacing, and some legs too.

S) The coffee aroma is more subdued than the hazelnut on the nose. This is very nutty, and a bit woody. There is definitely some vanilla and some brown sugar. This has a little bit of nutella to it.

T) The coffee roast is more evident in the flavor, along with an adequate amount of hops, providing an earthy quality. This ale never gets overly sweet, despite the concoction that it is. The hazelnut, vanilla, and sugar are done right. The 9% ABV deserves mention as well, and only based upon the fact that it is amazingly well hidden. The aftertaste is pleasing hazelnut coffee.

M) A medium body with moderate carbonation. This rests on the palate softly, and provides a pleasant warmth. A nice smooth beer to relax and sip on.

O) I really enjoy brown ales. In fact, it's one of my favorite styles, so of course this is right up my alley. I have to say I found myself comparing this to Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar, which I believe I scored nearly the same.Frangelic Mountain Brown is a very well crafted brew, and I highly recommend. I do believe it is a notch above Rogue's Hazelnut Brown. Having said that, if you can't track down a bottle, Rogue Hazelnut Nectar is a pretty accessible brew, and you can get a sixer for about the price of this release.

3.27/5  rDev -17.4%

750ml bottle into a tulip glass. Poured at around cellar temperature.

A - Dark brown body almost bordering on black when the glass is full. When the level is lower it allows a lot of light to penetrate. Small one finger high head with great lacing. Alcoholic legs after a swirl.

S - Initially its roasty coffee beans then a fantastic hazelnut sweetness sweeps over. Really one dimensional but smells a lot like liquid Nutella, which is not a bad thing at all.

T - Roasted malts, coffee beans, sweet and nutty hazelnuts then...ugh. Some sort of artificial sweetener aftertaste is going on here. Its similar to that twangy off flavor you get in drinks sweetened with sucralose, only much more subtle. Surprisingly no bitterness from the roasted malts or the coffee. Mouth feel is light and highly carbonated, pretty average for a brown ale. Alcohol is really well hidden here, too bad the flavor hiding it's presence is the fake sweetness.

O - I love Founders. I thought Blushing Monk and CBH were excellent beers for their respected styles and did well in the backstage series. This beer was a huge letdown for me though. Smells fantastic and the initial taste is actually really great, its just this lingering artificial aftertaste that is killing it for me. I'll have no problem killing this bottle by myself, but its just a very average beer in my opinion.

3.8/5  rDev -4%

Poured into a snifter from a 750 ml. bottle.

A Deep murky brown in color with a thick off-white head that settles slowly to a thin film on the surface. Lacing is decent, but carbonation is subdued.

S: This beer smells like it's description. It's straight-up hazelnut coffee with some toasty notes.

T: Much like the smell. Sweet up front, with fresh toast and caramel, followed by a swath of hazelnut, espresso, and some slightly fruity notes. Finish has a slightly sweet, boozy Frangelico character.

Notes: Full-bodied and loaded with flavor. This beer coats the palate and has a long, lingering finish. Still pretty darn tasty. There is almost too much coffee up front, and although the brewery insists that it be consumed fresh, I think some age will help it mellow a bit.

3.34/5  rDev -15.7%

A: Absolutely gorgeous appearance, truly wondrous clear brown with a light head in a wine stem.

S: Pure pure pure hazelnut, so much so it literally blankets every other aspect of the beer which wants to peek through but just can't quite make it. This aspect was a bit of a detractor for me, granted I like and appreciate subtlety more in my beers but this was like being a baby seal clubbed in the head by a hazelnut coffee tin.

T: For me, the taste offered a bit more than the the nose, still incredibly nutty but it had hints of mahogany and pipe tobacco in the distance. The linger aftertaste of hazelnut to me was far more pleasant than the smooth but every present taste on the front of the palate.

M: Incredibly smooth and velvety with a supremely pleasant warm alcohol sensation that will make this great in about six months or so. As has been said earlier this is not nearly as light on the palate as the clarity would lead you to believe and there is a healthy resinous feel to the brew, noticeable but not detracting.

O: I am not overly impressed by this beer on the whole, the clarity and mouthfeel to me definitely caught my attention but the nose was just too much. I definitely agree with previous posts in thinking it may have been smarter for a 12oz release but that is just a thought. I can see the more subtle qualities of this beer really shining through with aging but I am not sure if I would put more than 6-12 months on it personally. I definitely look forward to enjoying mine on a very cold MN winters eve later this year.

4.33/5  rDev +9.3%

Frangelic Mountain brown pours a medium bodied taupe brown in color with a really nice and creamy, one finger beige head. The nose isn't as over the top as I expected. It smells a lot like An imperial Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar, but with coffee added. The coffee is light and the hazelnut is pretty dominant in the nose. It smells like iced coffee. It's nice nonetheless. The flavors are really well integrated. It really does taste like an iced coffee. Dark malts, light chocolate, chilled coffee, and hazelnut creamer dominate. It is really smooth and the lighter body serves this one well. I like it a lot. It's not the most complex beer in the world but t has really nice flavor, great drinkability and they accomplished what they were going for. This is a must try for coffee lovers. Founders just made a brown ale interesting *head explodes*

4.13/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a very medium-brown color. Almost like a rusty brown. Very small head that dissipates quickly.

S - As you can expect, a good dose of hazelnut, but also some light coffee, dark fruits, and a hint of chocolate. It's a bit of a muted smell, but very good.

T - Hazelnut permeates throughout the taste, very good hazelnut flavoring, mixed with just a bit of vanilla, some booze, and toffee. A hint of dark fruits brings this all together. It's actually not too sweet. The hazelnut is very forward, but balanced.

M - It's a little hot, can taste a bit of the booze, but it's actually more crisp than smooth. A bit of an odd mouthfeel really.

Overall - I thought this was a solid beer. When you picture anything containing coffee, you expect it to actually have more body, but I was pleasantly surprised here. The hazelnut is obvious, but not overpowering. Great balance, and another great Backstage beer by Founders.

4.05/5  rDev +2.3%

bomber poured into a snifter
no born on date but this was released just a few days ago

A: Pours a murky dark mahoghany brown with just under 1 fingers width of a very light khaki, almost but not quite white, head.  The head settles down fairly quickly to a whispy film and outer ring.  Leaves some patches of spotty lacing.

S: Creamed hazelnut coffee.  I know what you're thinking, "duh, no shit Sherlock", but honest to god the smell is identical.  Its very nutty, with some vanilla/heavy cream, and light roast coffee.  Smells great, but not terribly complex.

T: Follows the aroma.  Initially is quite sweet, but then the coffee flavors come out strong to take a front seat.  Coffee with hazelnut flavored creamer upfront, with some chocolate and a bit of roasted malt and bitterness on the backend.  A hint of booze is noted, but not in a bad way.  Again, good, not great and rather one dimensional.

M/D: I was worried about this section since during the pour it looked very thin and light.  But to my surprise it was actually on the heavier side of medium bodied, boardering on low end IS thickness, but not quite and more along the lines of a baltic porter than a typical brown ale (in a good way).  Its also surprisingly smooth for the style.  It does a pretty nice job of coating the palate and has a somewhat drying finish.  ABV is well masked, and  drinkability is dangerously high, although with the one dimensional characteristics I think 12oz bottles would suite this beer well, as a whole bomber became somewhat mundane towards the end of the second snifter.

O: Overall, a good offering that is strong from top to bottom.  Some complexity or depth in the flavor profile would do this one good, as it is rather one dimensional.  That being said, definitely a good brew and worth seeking out, just don't expect CBS.

4.57/5  rDev +15.4%

Backstage Series #4: Frangelic Mountain Brown. I’m hoping for something like Rogue’s Hazelnut Brown Nectar with a little more power; I’m sure these guys won’t disappoint.

A: Pours big and bubbly, with a translucent ruby-red body and a hell of a lot of foam above. The head’s one of the liveliest I’ve seen on a brown ale, popping and bubbling ferociously as it slowly dwindles to a thin bed of pillowy tan silk, leaving bold tracks of lacing in its wake.

S: Huge aromas of hazelnut coffee waft up from the body; a sheer delight to relish in. Given a blind smell test, I know I wouldn’t say this was a beer – a rare treat. Touches of chocolate, vanilla, roasted malts, Irish cream, and oats come through as well, but it’s all coffee for the most part.

T: This palate is just excellent; great hazelnut tastes all around (even if they are from artificial flavoring). It takes off with a sweet, nutty slickness that takes the form of hazelnuts and cashews, cocoa powder, vanilla nougat, caramel-flavored candy, and peanut brittle. It’s sweet, of course, but not as sweet as what Founders can do (and has done, with CBH) – I’m still enjoying its more complicated earthy notes, and I hate most super-sweet beers. And sprinkled on top is a rich coffee and toasted malt character, showing slightly-burnt toast, cinnamon coffee cake, maple syrup, oatmeal with brown sugar, and, of course, some mild coffee tones. Finishes with a familiar overly-sweetened coffee flavor – one that I found in CBH – which brings the hazelnut to an uncomfortable moment of fake coffee creamer flavor; Thankfully, it’s just a moment: the aftertaste is mild and has some woody alcohol and chocolate syrup to keep it interesting.

M: Relatively thin for such a high ABV, but I’m starting to expect that from this style – if it were any thicker, it would be in imperial territory. That being said, the alcohol is fairly well hidden and it goes down pretty damn easily (watch out for that).

O: Frangelic Mountain Brown pushes the boundaries of American brewing, and I love the result. There’s just something to it that keeps me drinking more and more and more – really, this is the first Backstage series beer I’ve had that I’d really enjoy in a six-pack. Beers like this doesn’t come around too often, so if you have a chance to pick up a bottle, DO IT!

3.3/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A: Pours a relatively clear chestnut brown, large white bubbles at the edge and tiny white dusting in the middle of the glass.

S: Aroma of hazelnut coffee, a light malt presence and some sweetness. Not much else going on in here.

T: Well to say the least, it is a brown ale with hazelnut coffee. To dig deeper into that , it is an underwhelming brown ale, slightly watery, not much body with nearly no hop presence. Compared to some of my favorite brown ales, this is way short. There is minimal hopping, no body at all, and a coffee presence, making this more porter like than American brown ale. The hazelnut coffee is slightly overpowering, and reminds me specifically of New England Coffee Roasters Hazelnut coffee. In that coffee too, I am inundated with artificial hazelnut sweetener. This beer is no exception and I have minimal respect for artificial sweeteners in beer regardless if they came from a roasted coffee or were dumped into the wort in liquid form.

M: Watered down , no body and highly carbonated.

O: Underwhelmed. I presume this one will sit on the shelves and collect some dust were it not for the speculating crowd. I would much rather have Really Old Brown Dog from Smutty or some straight up Brooklyn Brown Ale.

4.54/5  rDev +14.6%

750 ml bottle. Served in a snifter, the beer pours dark brown with about a half inch light tan head that stayed around for a little while. There's a good amount of lacing, too. I love the aroma of this brew, it smells like hazelnuts, coffee, roasted malt, caramel, and some brown sugar. I think the coffee flavor is dominant at first, with the hazelnut, caramel, and vanilla flavors becoming stronger as the brew warms up more. Very tasty brew! Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's coating and has moderate carbonation. I think this is a pretty good overall brew, if I had another bottle I'd drink it right now! Definitely recommended.

4.32/5  rDev +9.1%

A 750 mL bottle of the recent release. Drank from a DFH signature glass.

A - 4.0 - Pours a deep brown color with dark ruby hues throughout the body, giving it an almost blood red glow. A centimeter or so of off-white head lingers for a bit before subsiding to a pillowy mass in the center of the glass and a light around the edges. Scattered patches of bubbles serve as lacing.

S - 4.5 - The aroma is of hazelnut, roasted almond, English toffee, caramel, cashews, and various other nuts. A nice amount of freshly roasted coffee comes through as well, as does a faint amount of vanilla.

T - 4.5 - Hazelnut, caramel, roasted coffee, almond, and other nuts push right out in the flavors. Theres a bit more coffee here than in the nose, but it’s not overpowering at all. Toffee and vanilla are there, and some faint raisin and dried date come out towards the end. Theres some brown and cane sugar flavors, but no ethanol.

M - 4.0 - Mouthfeel is thinner than anticipated, which is actually quite nice. I was afraid this one would leave the palate a sugary, resinous mess, but it finishes relatively cleanly with only a bit of the nutty flavors lingering. The finish isn’t necessarily sticky, but it’s somewhat dry.

O - 4.0 - While the nose is dominated by the nutty aromas and hazelnut, they’re much more integrated in the body and the coffee is allowed to come through a bit more (as are some of the other more subtle ingredients). This would make one great evening sipper by a fireplace, or a great breakfast accompaniment.

4.29/5  rDev +8.3%

This was the most recent Founders release which popped up in my local along side of this years Devil Dancer. Honestly, I was equally excited about both of these great brews.

Frangelic Mountain Brown pours to style: a rich, yet clear, dark brown with a light head that cascades from cappuccino-froth beige to oyster shell white/off-white. Body is a little less chewy than I like but, for a brown, it's pretty well done.

The bouquet on this beer is a delicious mix of hazelnut, light coffee roast, cream/vanilla and sweet malts. No discernible hop aroma or bitterness. Surprisingly, with such coffee in the nose, I'm shocked that there is little to no bitterness or harshness from the coffee in the flavor. Founders truly has a way of incorporating coffee in with their specialty beers. The whole experience of Frangelic is pretty perfect for the coffee and beer lover. Alcohol (high at 9%) is beautifully masked (maybe dangerously so) to a point that one could easily sip on this with a breakfast of Belgian waffles and hot maple syrup. Hell, I think I might try that this weekend.

All in all, if you have the means, pick this one up. You'll be glad you did.

3.92/5  rDev -1%

Pours a dark reddish brown with a thin off. Smell is quite nice, kinda like coffee ice cream - a sweet coffee mixed with the maltiness of the base brown ale. Taste follows the nose, but it's not quite as impressive - a bit like a coffee milkshake. It's not overly sweet, but certainly not very bitter at all, and the slight spiciness of the brown ale base mixes nicely with the coffee. Unfortunately it's not quite as complex and interesting as I'd hoped - a bit too one-dimensional. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with nice carbonation. Overall, this is another good beer from Founders, but I have high standards when it comes to them and this doesn't rise up to the level of their great ones. Still, a fun experiment, but a little too much artificial sweetness brings this down a notch.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

I am not a fan of hazelnut, but like Founders, so I thought I'd give this a try. In a pint glass the beer was a medium brown color with a tan head. There was a little bit of lace

Hazelnut aroma. Coffee with cream. A little bit of caramel.

The hazelnut was even more on display in the taste. Still there was the coffee with cream and the caramel.

I thought the flavors worked well together, and actually enjoyed the beer.

3.92/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Murky, light brown.

S: Tons of hazelnut coffee scent. The scent was intoxicatingly good. I got a bit of vanilla as well.

T: Strong, almost overpowering hazelnut sweetness. A bit of the alcohol warmness at the end. I felt like what Vanilla is to Southern Tier's Creme Brulee - Hazelnut is to Frangelic Brown.

M: Smooth, nice

O: A bit one note - think CBS is on another tier, but enjoyed this one. I will not seek out another bottle though we all agreed that that hazelnut flavor may balance out in 6 months or a year

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

Founders love affair with coffee and nuts is on full display again. Call it their menage a trois. But with a lighter body and power than Cashew Mountain Brown, Frangelic pulls the flavors of hazelnut and coffee well within balance then allows the beer to become much more drinkable than it should.

Much like French pressed coffee, the bark-brown hue carries a muddled haze that repels light. Dainty head character slowly releases from the beer and caps the beer much like lightly tanned espresso creme.

The coffee theme continues in nose as nutty coffees rise first. Columbian bean aromatics seem oily and rich, and also carry a lot of chocolate, toast, and hazelnut character but not as roasty as espresso. Instead, the aromas are rich, delicate, buttery, and seductively sweet. Caramel, butterscotch, and maple syrup inform sweetness and makes the last sip as delightful as the first.

Lush flavors of Nutella, soft nutty and chocolaty coffees, medium toast, maple syrup, and butter waft the palate in sultry and savory succulence. Backed by the malty sweetness of caramel, butterscotch, vanilla, almond, and maple, the early taste of barley is balanced by coffee oils, mild woody hops, and earthy beans and nuts. The dialogue of malt, coffee, and nuts is focused, not allowing any impact from fruit esters or yeast spices to make any headway. It's a delicious beer that captures the essence of medium roast coffee, bittersweet chocolate, and hazelnut in their very best light and balance.

Surprisingly, the rich taste is housed in a carriage of milder-than-expected weight. The malt, chocolate, and nut flavors never translate to heft or viscosity. Instead an light velvety texture coats the mouth with a thin veil of sweetness and oil and elevates the notion of smoothness, roundness, and savory taste. Sweetness turns ever so bitter late and allows the malt textures to waiver slightly and signals the finish of cocoa powder, bitter coffee oils, and evaporative alcohol cooling. The nine percent alcohol hardly makes an impact, making this beer dangerously drinkable.

Frangelic Brown definately provides more body, flavor, nutty definition, strength, and succulence than is normal for any English brown ale style which makes it "imperial" but it's way too effortless and drinkable to compare to heavier porters or stouts. Its non-definable comparisons causes inquisition and intrigue on all fronts. Well done again Founders- this brown ale is worthy of its Backstage status.

4.17/5  rDev +5.3%

Thanks Thorpe, served in a snifter. Beer is brown, dark, hazy with a nice tan head of small bubbles, some lacing, decent retention, moderate carbonation.

Aroma is sweet, nutty, mild coffee, a little creamy.

Beer tastes like hazelnut coffee creamer, in a good way. The beer cuts through with a nice malt backbone and some mild bitterness sitting on top of that is a strong hazelnut / sweetness that win in the flavor department. It is good but really pushes the boundary of beer in my opinion. I'd probably have it again.

3.95/5  rDev -0.3%

A big "Thank you!" to my dude Output01x for supplying me with this.

A slightly aggressive pour takes me to a finger and a half of foamy, tan head. Holding the beer up to the light, I can see that it is a deep mahogany brown. Head sticks around at a half finger for a while, taking its time dissipating. Lacing clings nicely to the glass.

Was not expecting the rich aromas from this beer. It smells like medium roasted, freshly ground coffee beans. Hazelnut is also apparent, like a hazelnut cappuccino.

Hazelnut cappuccino with brown ale is the flavor. Mainly malty, a little on the sweeter side.

Mouthfeel on this beer is full bodied. It is a thick sipper that needs that carbonation to help it go down. Coupled with the coffee taste, it is perfect for this brew, but not what I should be drinking on a day where it is 85 or more outside.

4.12/5  rDev +4%

A - Pours clear mahogany with one and a half fingers of creamy, persistent tan head. Leaves small spots of lacing throughout.

S - Huge hazelnut coffee nose. Really don't get much else, but it smells delicious. Maybe just a hint of alcohol and brown sugar.

T - Taste has more elements than the smell, and is more clearly a brown ale, though hazelnut coffee still dominates. More roasted malt with a bit of char, some slightly sweet and bready malts. More complex, but not quite as enjoyable as the smell.

M - After it warms up a bit, the mouthfeel has a nice creaminess to it, along with some bitter roastiness.

O - This is a very tasty imperial brown ale. Being part of the Founders Backstage series may raise some expectations that this doesn't quite live up to, but still a good and interesting beer.

Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown from Founders Brewing Company