Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Frangelic Mountain BrownFounders Frangelic Mountain Brown

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Brown Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: bashiba on 03-18-2012)

joshclauss, Jul 25, 2012

JimGlonke, Jul 25, 2012
4.08/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from bomber into Founders snifter, split with my dad.

This beer looks great. Light coffee coloring, I'm guessing due to artificial hazelnut (don't care). Also has some light golden color as well. Light tan head, about a finger deep maybe a little bit more. Eventually thins out to almost nothing. Smell is sweet hazelnut, maybe some vanilla. Taste follows the nose. I'm not a huge fan of brown ales but this one is great. Great mouthfeel, smooth and a bit fizzy. Overall this is great; prob not on par with the rest of Backstage series, but this is good.

rodlavers, Jul 24, 2012
2.3/5  rDev -42.2%

I'm a huge Founder's fan, and I can honestly say that this is the first time that I've been disappointed in one of their beers. It started off as an above average beer, but the more I got into it, the more I realized that it was an average beer. It could be that I just expected more from Founder's and so my disappointment was greater than if this were brewed by a less stellar brewery. I'm not even sure it was an issue of artificial versus real hazelnut coffee. I would have liked it to be a bit thicker and chewier and that might have cleared up most of my misgivings on this particular ale. Oh well, I still highly anticipate anything new that they put out.

Benjiehorn, Jul 24, 2012

Kaydogg, Jul 24, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

jwat, Jul 24, 2012

JMRSN, Jul 24, 2012

RKing44, Jul 24, 2012
4.1/5  rDev +3%

750 mL into a Duvel Tulip (not all at once it wouldn't fit)

A- Dark brown with a couple fingers of cream color head. Nice appearance for a brown ale

S- Straight up hazelnut coffee, which is to be expected

T- Taste pretty much like it smells with hazelnut dominating. Has a bitter finish with some chocolate and coffee bean as well

M- Good amount of carbonation, not too syrupy, solid mouthfeel.

O- I'd put it up there as my favorite brown ale. If nothing else, its a unique take on a style I don't usually seek out.

cquinn17, Jul 24, 2012
4.15/5  rDev +4.3%

Purchased from Spartan Spirits in East Lansing

Poured into a couple of snifters and enjoyed with my gf in our new apt.

A&S: once opened the hazelnut aroma is very powerful. It almost smells like the hazelnut creamers you put in your coffee. The abv comes out more in the smell when it warms but really never in the taste. Dark brown color but has some transparent qualities to it. Head is surprisingly off-white colored and doesn't come out much even when poured vigorous.

T&M: very rich, border-lining a coffee flavored American Stout. Not the most complex beer pretty much tastes like your drinking ice hazelnut coffee with carbonation. Other flavors I'm tasting is vanilla, and bitter chocolates. Fairly dry finish like a good ipa or a gin and tonic. Mouthfeel is medium and so is the carbonation, very smooth. The abv is very well hidden on this one.

O: I enjoyed this beer, I would put it up there as one of the best, if not my favorite browns. I feel like this price is a little steep (15 + tax), but I really don't have much beef with it. If founders is putting out a special seasonal I'll bite, unless it some blond or sessional for that price.

minterro, Jul 24, 2012
4.03/5  rDev +1.3%

Bottle pour at Woodshop 7 held at Beachwood BBQ & Brewing in Long Beach, CA.

Pours a slightly murky brown with a foamy tan head that settles to an oily film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of toasted malt, coffee beans, and some very nice hazelnut aromas. Taste is much the same with a hazelnut coffee aftertaste. There is a slight roasty bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer but I much prefer the smell over the taste on this one.

UCLABrewN84, Jul 24, 2012
3.93/5  rDev -1.3%

750ml Bottle poured into SA glass.

Tan, thin head a top murky cola-colored liquid, minimal lacing.

Huge hazelnut aroma, crystal malt, coffee, chocolate, subtle molasses.

The hazelnut and coffee predominate. Minimal chocolate. Bitterness at the end.

Thin, syrupy, under carbonated.

Nice brew, prefer Rogue Hazelnut Brown.

CaptCleveland, Jul 24, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

BobCobb, Jul 24, 2012
3.73/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured from a 750ml large format bottle into a brandy snifter.

A - pours a medium brown that appears to be an intensely deep deep mahagony when help up to the light. Very clear. A finger and a half of a medium khaki head forms and dissipates quickly, most likely a side effect from of the coffee oils as I can rouse up a finger of head by agitating the glass.

S - nutty and bready on the forefront that quickly makes way for a sweet hazelnut and coffee bouquet. Chocolate. Smells a lot like the Ferrero Roche hazelnut chocolate ball things. The aroma smells a little off/sweet/artifical on the very end.

T - this is not up to par with the nose. Dark bakers chocolate with a slight palate drying is very apparent. Coffee stong in the mid and late palate. Biscuit. The hazelnut comes on strong in the middle and finishes with an off bitterness that isn't very pleasing. Some caramel in the middle. Not much else apparent from the dominating fake hazelnut flavor. The coffee lingers on my palate/breath for many minutes after sipping.

M - I think this might be where this beer fails for me. It's very thin, especially for 9%. However, when it's way colder (colder than where the aroma should be enjoyed), the mouthfeel appears to come into where it should be.

D - low. Too much artifical flavors to enjoy.

Hype/Expectation Factor - 2.0 very low. I was expecting something awesome and it just didn't deliver.

Overall, an ok beer, but I was expecting so much more. The aroma is lovely but the rest just doesn't deliver. I redl about the artifical hazelnut and not sure it was an end all, but the balance wasn't there for me. The mouthfeel is way off imho also when consumed at proper temps. I think some residual sweetness may have helped cut through the coffee and hazelnut and bring some balance to the force. Hoping the next backstage gets back on track to the awesomeness of Blushing Monk, CBS and Better Half (a.k.a. Kaiser Curmudgeon).

beesy, Jul 24, 2012

hilgart1, Jul 24, 2012
4.1/5  rDev +3%

A-Pours brown with crimson undertones. Head is minimal and recedes to a grouping of large bubbles. Mostly transparent. Body glows.

S-A mixture of sweetness and concentrated coffee. Very roasty. Hazelnut coffee and other assorted nuts. Vanilla and light hints of Nutella. Alcohol masked well.

T-Tastes very sweet but the roasted nutty coffee sets in and never lets go. Molasses and vanilla extract. Light mocha. Very, very roasty. Finishes with dried coffee bean flavor.

M-Lighter than the ABV would lead me to initially believe. Alcohol is mildly drying. Finishes with bitter coffee beans. Slightly syrupy and creamy.

O/D-A slight disappointment, but it is still a pretty cool beer. Plenty of coffee here. Maybe a tad too sweet for me but I was quite excited to try it.

VelvetExtract, Jul 23, 2012
4.03/5  rDev +1.3%

Served in a wellington beer glass.

Appearance: Dark brown not opaque but definitely a littly having when up to the light. It has an off white head that measures just under a finger's length. It does look simple but it will make up for it in other categories.

Smell: Hard coffee hazelnut and vanilla bean scent. barely smells like a beer but not a bad thing.

Taste: A bitter sweet coffee, it is your brown ale meets your stout.

Mouth: This is some smooth beer, does get to you with it's slight alcohol after-taste.

Overall: This is good beer but a notch too pricey for what it is. Granted it is very unique, rarely will you catch a complex mixture like this. It improves definitely towards the end of the first serving almost something you'd like to pair up with dessert and on that note, Salud!

BlurryVisi0n, Jul 23, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

jak, Jul 23, 2012

ILikeBrew, Jul 23, 2012
3.7/5  rDev -7%

750ml bottle poured into glass.

Appearance - pours a clear dark brown with a good 1+ inch of creamy head.

Smell - the smell really turned me off at first. It's a strong sweet smell but not in a good way. If one thing is a miss for this beer I would say its the smell.

Taste - quite good. After hearing mixed reviews I was pleasantly surprised by the taste. It is sweet, but in a good way with chocolate and hazelnut flavors very upfront. Tastes a lot like liquified Nutella, but not overpowering.

Mouthfeel - for the stronger hazelnut/chocolate/dessert flavor you're expecting a heavier beer, but it stays true to the brown ale style. It's lighter in mouthfeel and smooth.

Overall - much better than I expected. The reviews thus far have been good but I've heard lots of negative feedback elsewhere. I thought it was a very good beer, it was just what you expect, a very tasty hazelnut flavored brown ale. I would definately drink this again, however not sure if I would actively seek it out. Overalls very pleased with the result. It's not CBS, but another solid Founders beer.

mjohnson17, Jul 23, 2012
3.23/5  rDev -18.8%

Presentation: 750 mL bottle chilled and poured into a Kate the Great tulip. Picked this up and chilled since purchase.

Appearance: Medium to dark brown with a slight beige head that recedes into nothing rather quickly.

Aroma: Big hazelnut flavored coffee notes upfront. Rather sweet with low bitterness considering the high amount of coffee. Pretty one dimensional.

Taste: Lots of the hazlenut coffee is coming through strong. Definitely on the sweeter end with just a touch of bitterness at the end. Not quite cloying but close and still one dimensional.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied with average carbonation.

Overall, an interesting brown ale with big hazlnet coffee flavors. The real downside of this beer is that it is one dimensional and borders on being cloyingly sweet. Not bad, but I doubt I would revisit for the price.

Gosox8787, Jul 23, 2012

duceswild, Jul 23, 2012
3.15/5  rDev -20.9%

I was not a big fan of this flavoured coffee beer experience. The infused hazelnut wafts aroma, very roasted taste and dry finish. Its all about this flavour and its not really a beer to me, I am OK with many of these coffee beers. Not this time. Doug's bottle.

Sammy, Jul 23, 2012