Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Frangelic Mountain BrownFounders Frangelic Mountain Brown

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Brown Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: bashiba on 03-18-2012)
4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

2.75/5  rDev -30.9%

3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

3.8/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at Prime 16 during the Founders CT launch party.

A: Clear, deep dark persimmon body with just a 1/2" of frothy off-white head. Mediocre retention and lacing. Ok Brown Ale.

S: Powerful hazelnut, coffee, and chocolate. Simple, and simply great.

T: Opens with huge coffee, toasted hazelnuts, and some chocolate. The hazelnut persists onto the finish, where it's joined by potent booze. Nuttiness and spicy alcohol on the aftertaste. Discordant and ultimately underwhelming, despite having some really tasty things going on.

M: Creamy medium body. Really great for the style.

O: Loved the smell, but not the back-end heat. Not a bad beer by any stretch, but far from the awesomeness I was expecting.

Cheers!

3.58/5  rDev -10.1%

After splitting the 750ml bottle with my older brother I took a second to admire the beer's magnificent dark red color, which reminded me of some english brown ales that I've tried in the past. Though when held up to the light I could see some hints of brown. As the beer settled it was topped with a one finger off white head, which left an attractive amount of lacing and alcohol legs on my snifter glass.

After a quick mental drumroll I put my glass up to my nose and took my first whiff of Frangelic Mountain Brown. As expected I was met by strong notes of hazelnut coffee which were followed by hints of toffee and milk chocolate, and a touch of roasted malt. The dominance of the hazelnut coffee in the aroma ushered in a bit of apprehension prior to my first sip. In other words, I hoped the same wouldn't be the case for the beer's taste.

Indeed the coffee was again dominant in the beer's flavor profile. This left other typical brown ale flavors such as toffee and roasted malt character as background hints, which needed to be though about in order to be perceived. What eased the drinking experience for me was this beer's smooth and creamy mouthfeel. At 9% ABV, the beer glided over my palate like a 6% brown ale would and helped prevent the hazelnut coffee flavor from becoming overwhelming to my palate.

If you're a fan of Founders Brewing Co.'s beers, brown ales, and or beers with coffee added I'd recommend giving this beer a try. I should note that despite its limited availability I chose to purchase and try this bottle before making the decision of whether to pick up second one. In turn, while I did purchase a second bottle of the previous three Backstage Series beers, I decided not to continue that trend with Frangelic Mountain Brown. Rating 7/10

4.4/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A - Nice brown color with hints of dark red. Nice off white head, about a finger.

S - Smell has a hint of a brown ale, but if I close my eyes it's like I'm smelling hazelnut iced coffee with cream. And with this beer, that's what I want. Awesome smell.

T - Much along the lines of the smell. Not quite as awesome, but still basically a hazelnut coffee with cream. Nicely sweet with some toasted malt to remind you it's a beer. Really well done.

M - Pretty smooth, creamy. Not quite perfect so a 4.5. The drinkability is insane on this one. No hint whatsoever of 9%.

O - For a brown ale brewed with hazelnut coffee, I can't imagine it being much better. Maybe if they brewed it with hazelnuts and coffee it might taste even better and more natural, but I'm not going to nitpick too much. Gets a slight knock on the artificial flavors, but it's still the best brown ale I've had.

3.63/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a murky dark amber/brown with a one and a half finger off-white head. Leaves great lacing on the glass.

S- By far the best part of the beer. Smells like a great cup of hazelnut/choco coffee. Vanilla and light roast are in the aroma as well. Great.

T- Falls short for Founders standards. Bland, old coffee, roast, and hints of burnt caramel. A disappointment after smelling the nose.

M- Light side of medium bodied, This beer should have a much bigger body than it does. It feels thin, and almost watery. The one saving grace is it is smooth.

O- Not a great effort from Founders. A beer with a fantastic aroma, but falls short for a special release. Too expensive to get again.

4.3/5  rDev +8%

A: Typical of a brown ale. Brownish Mahagony with a head that quickly wears out.

S: Nice Hazlenut Coffee, Light Malt, Some Toffee Hints. Light bread notes.

T:Really a good taste. The hazelnut coffee is the standout feature, follows by Toffee and nuts with a mild sweetness. Excellent.

M: This beer was a little to thin for my taste. Had the consistency of a New Castle which is fine if you are drink New Castle.

O:Go for it. I wouldn't make it something I would hunt for but if chance arises give it a go.

2.98/5  rDev -25.1%

Poured into a goblet, the brew appears a clear brown with a yellowish copper hint around the edges when held to the light. A tan cap a finger strong fades to a thin film with spotty lace sticking to the glass.

The aroma is bold with a fresh roasted coffee scent. Quite a nutty aspect with almost a hint of cream, vanilla and chocolate making it's way into the nostrils. I dont have a lot of experience with hazelnut by itself but it is felt in this from the nutty aromatics.

The taste is bitter coffee with again the nutty aspect coming into play pretty directly. Some herbal elements clash a bit with the coffee flavor and blends into a mild fruity alcohol inclusion. More sips of this brew focus more on the roast like burnt coffee that leaves a lasting oily cling with somewhat of a musty aspect inside the mouth.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest level of carbonation. This starts off as a pretty solid brew but halfway through my glass ive had enough and dont want any more. This is one of those brews that I wish I would have shared with more than 2 people. If my pour was limited to 4 ounces, I probably would have rated this higher. But since I had a full glass to ponder over a long duration, it really didnt grow on me. Unlike the other offerings in Founders backstage series, this is one brew I dont care to have again.

4.08/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from bomber into Founders snifter, split with my dad.

This beer looks great. Light coffee coloring, I'm guessing due to artificial hazelnut (don't care). Also has some light golden color as well. Light tan head, about a finger deep maybe a little bit more. Eventually thins out to almost nothing. Smell is sweet hazelnut, maybe some vanilla. Taste follows the nose. I'm not a huge fan of brown ales but this one is great. Great mouthfeel, smooth and a bit fizzy. Overall this is great; prob not on par with the rest of Backstage series, but this is good.

2.3/5  rDev -42.2%

I'm a huge Founder's fan, and I can honestly say that this is the first time that I've been disappointed in one of their beers. It started off as an above average beer, but the more I got into it, the more I realized that it was an average beer. It could be that I just expected more from Founder's and so my disappointment was greater than if this were brewed by a less stellar brewery. I'm not even sure it was an issue of artificial versus real hazelnut coffee. I would have liked it to be a bit thicker and chewier and that might have cleared up most of my misgivings on this particular ale. Oh well, I still highly anticipate anything new that they put out.

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

4.1/5  rDev +3%

750 mL into a Duvel Tulip (not all at once it wouldn't fit)

A- Dark brown with a couple fingers of cream color head. Nice appearance for a brown ale

S- Straight up hazelnut coffee, which is to be expected

T- Taste pretty much like it smells with hazelnut dominating. Has a bitter finish with some chocolate and coffee bean as well

M- Good amount of carbonation, not too syrupy, solid mouthfeel.

O- I'd put it up there as my favorite brown ale. If nothing else, its a unique take on a style I don't usually seek out.

4.15/5  rDev +4.3%

Purchased from Spartan Spirits in East Lansing

Poured into a couple of snifters and enjoyed with my gf in our new apt.

A&S: once opened the hazelnut aroma is very powerful. It almost smells like the hazelnut creamers you put in your coffee. The abv comes out more in the smell when it warms but really never in the taste. Dark brown color but has some transparent qualities to it. Head is surprisingly off-white colored and doesn't come out much even when poured vigorous.

T&M: very rich, border-lining a coffee flavored American Stout. Not the most complex beer pretty much tastes like your drinking ice hazelnut coffee with carbonation. Other flavors I'm tasting is vanilla, and bitter chocolates. Fairly dry finish like a good ipa or a gin and tonic. Mouthfeel is medium and so is the carbonation, very smooth. The abv is very well hidden on this one.

O: I enjoyed this beer, I would put it up there as one of the best, if not my favorite browns. I feel like this price is a little steep (15 + tax), but I really don't have much beef with it. If founders is putting out a special seasonal I'll bite, unless it some blond or sessional for that price.

4.03/5  rDev +1.3%

Bottle pour at Woodshop 7 held at Beachwood BBQ & Brewing in Long Beach, CA.

Pours a slightly murky brown with a foamy tan head that settles to an oily film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of toasted malt, coffee beans, and some very nice hazelnut aromas. Taste is much the same with a hazelnut coffee aftertaste. There is a slight roasty bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer but I much prefer the smell over the taste on this one.

Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown from Founders Brewing Company