Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Frangelic Mountain BrownFounders Frangelic Mountain Brown

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Brown Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: bashiba on 03-18-2012)

2.5/5  rDev -37.2%

Picked up a few bottles of this in anticipation of a great experience. I expected very good things from this experiment. Sadly, it was a huge disappointment.

A - Looks great poured into my Russian River pint glass. Nice toasty brown color, and an impressive 2 finger ivory head that stuck around a while, though lacing was minimal. Very attractive.

S - Eh. Some hazelnut and coffee with a bit of toasted malt in the background, but not a ton of aroma from this one.

T - After the aroma, I was less sure about this. The taste was just awful. It tasted like someone took a large-ish brown ale and added too much artificial hazelnut syrup to it. The flavors were sharply different on the tongue and didn't meld together well at all. I tried drinking some colder to see if that would help, but it was the same thing. Not much in the way of coffee flavor. I would have dinged the flavor even more, but there is a sense on the back end that there's a pretty good brown ale under all those artificial hazelnuts. I got through 1/3 of the bottle before I was left with no choice but to drainpour.

M - Decent feel, carbonation felt right, and it was a bit sticky, which is to be expected from a big brown.

O - I'm a bit hastier about my drainpours than most probably are, but this is not a good beer. The artificial flavoring creates a sharp contrast between the hazelnut and brown ale flavors, where they should meld together. The base beer is almost completely drowned out by the hazelnut. I'm hoping 6 months or a year dulls the edges on this one, but this one is almost undrinkable right now.

2.68/5  rDev -32.7%

When I wake up in the morning, I like having a cup of coffee (or three).
My guilty pleasure is adding Coffee Mate liquid Hazelnut Coffee Creamer to said coffee.

When it comes time to drinking a beer, I don't really want it to taste like my morning coffee.

This, in every way, shape, and form, tastes exactly like alcoholic coffee with hazelnut coffee creamer.

If you're into that, I heavily suggest this beer. If you're not, I heavily don't.

I do have to give Founder's props for absolutely, 100% capturing the flavor exactly - I just don't think it translates well to beer.

I have 1 bottle left, at the time of this review, that I'd be willing to trade for something else.

Bottom line: This is a "love it or hate it" beer. I don't think there is a middle ground.

2.8/5  rDev -29.6%

Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown
11/28/12
750mL

Deep, dark red with mahogany edges. Hazy. Not much of a head to speak of, spotty lacing. (3.5)

Aroma is alcohol, ripe fruit, caramel and hazelnut coffee, the latter of which is strong without being overpowering. (3.5)

Flavor is nuts. No, literally-- it's all hazelnut. It's fine to have that hazelnut coffee aroma, but when this flavor masks all malt complexity and hop character, I begin to question whether or not I'm drinking beer. Moderate sweetness. I guess there's some caramel malt under there, but who's to say? Mouthfeel is medium-heavy and pleasant, though the carbonation seems too low. (2.5, 3)

This beer is basically dessert in a glass. It's more rich than sweet, but the hazelnut coffee component leaves me feeling I've eaten a piece of tiramisu with espresso. It's not my kind of beer, seeing as I like BEER flavor, but it's honestly not THAT bad. (3)

2.88/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Nice mahogany color with a small off white head that dies off quick. Spotty lacing at best.

S: Coffee and hazelnuts for sure. Not roasted coffee, but almost stale coffee with some sweetener in it. Some vanilla. Not the best smelling for me at all. Smells a little too fake.

T: Sweet hazelnuts and artificial coffee flavoring. Not overly sweet at all, but lots of hazelnut flavor. The flavors seem like they could go well together, but I can't get over the artificial taste of the hazelnut coffee. Seems like there is a pretty decent brown ale underneath all this. Short finish.

M: Medium to lighter body. Average carbonation.

O: Drinkability isn't the best. ABV is hidden well, seems like this should be like 6-7%. I can see what they are going for, but this is pretty much a miss for me. Can't get over all the artificial flavors in this. First Founders beer that I have not been a big fan of. Can't win them all.

2.9/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Funky looking two-tired head. Half is super bubbly and the top is super foamy. Brew is deep roasty brown color. Head lingers for sometime.. Great lacing.

Tons of hazlenut, not my favorite, but very well rounded. Coffee scents take a back seat to the hazlenut, a bit overwhelming.

Too much hazelnut for my liking.. Nice light carbonation, no bitterness, very dry. Hazelnut is distracting and I can't get many other flavors.

I've seen Founders to MUCH better.. I expected more, especially with the high price tag. Not recommended.

2.98/5  rDev -25.1%

Poured into a goblet, the brew appears a clear brown with a yellowish copper hint around the edges when held to the light. A tan cap a finger strong fades to a thin film with spotty lace sticking to the glass.

The aroma is bold with a fresh roasted coffee scent. Quite a nutty aspect with almost a hint of cream, vanilla and chocolate making it's way into the nostrils. I dont have a lot of experience with hazelnut by itself but it is felt in this from the nutty aromatics.

The taste is bitter coffee with again the nutty aspect coming into play pretty directly. Some herbal elements clash a bit with the coffee flavor and blends into a mild fruity alcohol inclusion. More sips of this brew focus more on the roast like burnt coffee that leaves a lasting oily cling with somewhat of a musty aspect inside the mouth.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest level of carbonation. This starts off as a pretty solid brew but halfway through my glass ive had enough and dont want any more. This is one of those brews that I wish I would have shared with more than 2 people. If my pour was limited to 4 ounces, I probably would have rated this higher. But since I had a full glass to ponder over a long duration, it really didnt grow on me. Unlike the other offerings in Founders backstage series, this is one brew I dont care to have again.

Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown from Founders Brewing Company