Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown - Founders Brewing Company

American Brown Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: bashiba on 03-18-2012

Ratings: 1,169 | Reviews: 304
3.55/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Tulip glass.

A: Pours medium brown with red tint, very good clarity, with minimal head--a ring--and not much lacing to speak of.

S&T: Veeery nutty. Exactly how you would expect hazelnut coffee spiked with a brown ale would taste. Just a hint of malt, vanilla, and lingering sweetness and no bitterness whatsoever. Not really getting brewed coffee per se, but like those flavored coffee powders. Topped with chopped nuts.

M: Medium-full body and medium carbonation.

O: Actually pretty tasty, but a lighter hand on the hazelnut would have gone a long way. That being said, it's drinkable enough (pairing quite well with chocolate dessert), though testing my patience.

3.58/5  rDev -10.3%

Thanks to Strangebrew321 for this one.

Pours a very dark brown with 1 finger of khaki head.

The smell is straight hazelnut coffee. Heavy on the artificial hazelnut, light on the coffe, then just a bit of roasty, chocolate malt behind it. No discernible hop presence on the nose.

The taste is pretty much the same. Really feels like I am drinking an alcoholic version of hazelnut coffee.

Mouthfeel is nice. I would have never guessed 9%, drinks much lighter than that.

Overall, glad I got to try this one, but I won't seek it out again. I occasionally like a cup of artificially flavored hazelnut coffee in the afternoon and this is no different. If you don't like cheap hazelnut coffee, you will not like this beer.

3.58/5  rDev -10.3%

Reviewed from notes. Served in a pint.

A - Murky chocolate brown hue with a thin tan head. Fair lacing and retention.

S - Massive hazelnut that overwhelms anything else I can detect.

T - Hazelnut, hazelnut, hazelnut. Smooth caramel malts make this beer a step away from one-dimensional.

M - Medium body with light carbonation.

O - A smooth and enjoyable hazelnut brew. The flavor is immense and plentiful. I personally am not a big fan of the nut, and given the pure-awesomeness of the rest of the Backstage series, this one disappointed me.

3.58/5  rDev -10.3%

Dark brown but not opaque pour lots of particulates. Two fingers of rich creamy tan foam is persistent and leaves curtains of lacing. Smells very nearly exactly like a cup of hazelnut-flavored black coffee. It's not bad, but then again it is what it is. I'm not a big hazelnut fan. The taste, again, is hazelnut city, but very sweet, sugary. It near enough reminds me of the International Coffee hazelnut that my mom used to mix up from the rectangular tins. No complaints about the crafted body, it's solid with good mouth feel and moderate carbonation. This one is the hazelnut that keeps on giving and giving and giving. Too much hazelnut, too much sugar. Too much for me.

3.58/5  rDev -10.3%

After splitting the 750ml bottle with my older brother I took a second to admire the beer's magnificent dark red color, which reminded me of some english brown ales that I've tried in the past. Though when held up to the light I could see some hints of brown. As the beer settled it was topped with a one finger off white head, which left an attractive amount of lacing and alcohol legs on my snifter glass.

After a quick mental drumroll I put my glass up to my nose and took my first whiff of Frangelic Mountain Brown. As expected I was met by strong notes of hazelnut coffee which were followed by hints of toffee and milk chocolate, and a touch of roasted malt. The dominance of the hazelnut coffee in the aroma ushered in a bit of apprehension prior to my first sip. In other words, I hoped the same wouldn't be the case for the beer's taste.

Indeed the coffee was again dominant in the beer's flavor profile. This left other typical brown ale flavors such as toffee and roasted malt character as background hints, which needed to be though about in order to be perceived. What eased the drinking experience for me was this beer's smooth and creamy mouthfeel. At 9% ABV, the beer glided over my palate like a 6% brown ale would and helped prevent the hazelnut coffee flavor from becoming overwhelming to my palate.

If you're a fan of Founders Brewing Co.'s beers, brown ales, and or beers with coffee added I'd recommend giving this beer a try. I should note that despite its limited availability I chose to purchase and try this bottle before making the decision of whether to pick up second one. In turn, while I did purchase a second bottle of the previous three Backstage Series beers, I decided not to continue that trend with Frangelic Mountain Brown. Rating 7/10

3.59/5  rDev -10%

Finally reviewing the notorious FMB. Have had multiple times in multiple formats although these are my feelings on the bottle variant.

A: What you'd expect from a brown ale. Nice darker body with a sandy head that dissipates much like other Founders beers leaving a slick like residue on top of the beer.

S: It's reminiscent of a cheap coffee house brought on by the huge hazelnut coffee notes. They hide this bad boy's ABV really well.

T: Very easy to enjoy a few sips but then the flavor becomes so overwhelming. Leaving it to sit does nothing to bring anything additional out. Very hard to finish a pint glass of this and would much prefer a 12oz bottle. Huge blasts of hazelnut coffee absolutely dominate anything else in the beer.

M: My biggest critique is the carbonation...almost club soda like. Huge bubbles that are quire distracting.

O: Certainly not as bad as its reputation I do enjoy this in limited volume. Perfect for a bottle share.

3.6/5  rDev -9.8%

pours a creamy but bubble slightly darker colored 1/2 finger head that fades at a med pace with some lacing, over very dark molasses mahogany brown color with hints of ruby light streaming through the edges.

Nose explodes with hazelnut and coffee, fresh roasted coffee beans, little espresso and fresh brewing coffee, toasted hazelnuts and bit chestnut like, hazelnut syrup, little toffee and molasses, cola syrup, brown sugar, sweetness.

Taste starts with tons of hazelnut, like a hazelnut explosion just threw up in my mouth, chewy and very syrupy. Toasted hazelnuts and chestnuts cut through the syrupy blanketed mess, brown sugar, molasses, hazelnut syrup, and toffee add lots more sweet flavors to the very sweet beer. Coffee is there but much more muted due to hazelnut and sweet additions well overpowering the slightly fresh roasted coffee. Light toasted brown malts underneath and hint of bitter earthy hops. Booze is warming in the background but not rampant. Finish is still fairly sweet, syrupy mouth coating, lots more hazelnut lingering, although the coffee comes out a lot more on the finish, fresh roasted coffee coming out nicely, little brown sugar, and a bit of earthy bitterness.

Mouth is med to fuller bodied, syrupy, sweet, some warming booze, decent carb.

Overall not so great, a nice beer underneath except the tons of hazelnut. The coffee is nice but drowned out by the hazelnut as well.

3.61/5  rDev -9.5%

A. Pours a little frothier than I expected with a very light head. The beer itself is a very pleasant light brown color. The abundant head lasted a while.
S. Coffee and hazelnut in good harmony. Aroma is lovely.
T. The taste is good but not as well-balanced as the smell, I thought. It's a lot of hazelnut, really. There is a nice peaty quality to it and the alcohol presence is about what you would want. Still, I was not blown away.
M. Not sticky or syrupy at all. Pretty light, actually. If it wasn't so damn expensive it would be very drinkable despite the higher alcohol content.
O. I don't usually like to judge brews based on the price but I would have expected more from this. All things being equal (and price-wise they are not), I prefer Founders Breakfast Stout to this.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- It poured out a really dark brown color that you can see red through it as you hold it up to the light, however not transparent. The head was minimal and died off fast.

S- First thing I pick up on this one is strong hazelnut coffee, the rest is real soft and light on the nose with vanilla, and some creamer. Can you say hazelnut coffee, nice!

T- I get a sweet flavor right up front but do not pick up a hazelnut like on the smell. I get more of a dark fruit taste in this for some reason with a bitter taste of coffee on the back end. I also pick up some alcohol on this one. On the very end there is some vanilla and a slight hazelnut. Not what I expected from the smell.

M- Medium body with a good amount of carbonation. This one feels like it is scrubbing my tongue clean as I drink it.

O- Frangelic Mountain Brown is good however it is real pricey coming in at $14 for a 750ml bottle. I would pass and look for something different IMHO. I was really looking forward to this as I am a huge Founders fan, however it did not live up to my expectations.

Alrighty, here we go.

Brown with a solid slow transient tan foam sheet. Smells like strait up hazelnut flavoring syrup creamer - like I put in my cheap coffee at work when somebody else has brought it in. A little vanilla and graham cracker crust; expecting bottled beetus. Flavor is hazelnuts, some vanilla pudding a bit of coffee and bread. Pretty much exactly as described on the label - cool. Not liquid Beetus, as I feared. this is all readied on the carriage of medium body, low carb and an off dry finish. wish the dentists wife were here, she'd dig it. The 2.5 for overall is simply because it's not my cup of tea, but merit for such a strikingly precise attempt and execution for a beer.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed on-tap during Founders night at Crane Alley in Urbana, IL 11/18/2012

Appearance: Dark brown. Light tan head.

Aroma: Coffee! Hazelnut. Both intense.

Taste: Intensely hazelnut and light coffee. Coffee bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Very light carbonation. The bitterness finishes a bit dry.

Overall: Like nothing I’ve ever had, but in a more interesting way than a good way. Too much coffee/hazelnut for me.

3.64/5  rDev -8.8%

750ml bottle poured into glass.

Appearance - pours a clear dark brown with a good 1+ inch of creamy head.

Smell - the smell really turned me off at first. It's a strong sweet smell but not in a good way. If one thing is a miss for this beer I would say its the smell.

Taste - quite good. After hearing mixed reviews I was pleasantly surprised by the taste. It is sweet, but in a good way with chocolate and hazelnut flavors very upfront. Tastes a lot like liquified Nutella, but not overpowering.

Mouthfeel - for the stronger hazelnut/chocolate/dessert flavor you're expecting a heavier beer, but it stays true to the brown ale style. It's lighter in mouthfeel and smooth.

Overall - much better than I expected. The reviews thus far have been good but I've heard lots of negative feedback elsewhere. I thought it was a very good beer, it was just what you expect, a very tasty hazelnut flavored brown ale. I would definately drink this again, however not sure if I would actively seek it out. Overalls very pleased with the result. It's not CBS, but another solid Founders beer.

3.65/5  rDev -8.5%

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance - Clear reddish brown. Nice off white head that's well retained.

Smell - Ton of hazelnut and coffee. Nutty brown malts.

Taste - Lots of coffee and lots of hazelnut. Sweet to the point where not a lot of the beer comes out past the adjuncts. Slightly bitter and the nutty malts are faint.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied and medium carbonation. Decently bitter to counter the sweetness.

Overall - The adjuncts are good and good enough that I don't mind not being able to discern the qualities of the beer.

Consumed 8/18/12

Appearance: Well, it's brown, perhaps even a mountain brown - mostly clear - somewhat average-sized, light tan head, leaves lots of spots of lacing

Smell: Hazelnuts! Plenty of hazelnuts - milk and dark chocolate, with some sweetness - the first thing that came to my mind is Ferrero Rocher (candy) - lightly toasted, lightly roasted, with some caramel - nutty and sweet

Taste: Roasty and sweet with hazelnuts everywhere - hazelnut coffee, milk chocolate, dark chocolate - some roasty bitterness, but mild overall - nutty and sweet, tasty overall but kind of reminds me of watered down hazelnut coffee

Mouthfeel: Unexpectedly light, yet creamy - roasty and dry, nicely carbonated

Overall: Good, not fantastic

If you don't like hazelnuts, prepare to hate this beer. If you love hazelnut coffee, you might like this beer. It has a lot of good flavors, but it's not particularly powerful. Worth a try, if you can find it.

3.65/5  rDev -8.5%

People seem to love this beer or hate it. I split this bottle and a chocolate bar with my wife. The beer was chilled and served in a tulip.

A- The body of the beer is chestnut brown with mahogany high lights. A thick 1.5 inch head light tan in appearance crest the beer. Nice head retention and loads of sticky lacing marking the beers passage.

S- This beer delivers a lightly roasted coffe aroma. The coffee aroma supports a pleasing cocoa and hazelnut aroma.

T- The flavors of the beer deliver cocoa, medium roasted coffee that keeps the beers sweetness in check. This beer is about coffee loving. The hazelnuts are present in a syrupy sort of way. Not too shabby but wanted a more natural hazelnut flavor.

M- The body of the beer is medium and moderately carbonated. A slightly acidic finish from the coffee noted. No alcohol heat noted.

O- I really dig the coffee and overall maltyness of this beer. A nice treat to drink one and definately done.

3.65/5  rDev -8.5%

Bottle purchased at The Green Growler in Croton on the Hudson NY.

Appearance: Pours a chestnaut brown with red clay like folds. The crown is 1 finger, slightly buttery, shows some retention and minimal lace.

Smell: The hazelnut comes through much more than anything else. Its hard to dig the coffee and malt smells out from under the hazelnut. A touch of buttered toffee and a hint of roast is found once you use a shovel though!

Taste: The beer opens up with a lightly roasted coffee note over toffee malt and finishes with straight hazelnut. Neither of which are overly enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with ample carbonation. Definitely helps get the pungent flavors scrubbed off of ones tongue.

Overall: Not a bad brew but nothing I'd seek out again in the future. The hazelnut is a touch too pungent and I don't really enjoy the flavor of this particular type of coffee in the beer.

3.67/5  rDev -8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a murky dark amber/brown with a one and a half finger off-white head. Leaves great lacing on the glass.

S- By far the best part of the beer. Smells like a great cup of hazelnut/choco coffee. Vanilla and light roast are in the aroma as well. Great.

T- Falls short for Founders standards. Bland, old coffee, roast, and hints of burnt caramel. A disappointment after smelling the nose.

M- Light side of medium bodied, This beer should have a much bigger body than it does. It feels thin, and almost watery. The one saving grace is it is smooth.

O- Not a great effort from Founders. A beer with a fantastic aroma, but falls short for a special release. Too expensive to get again.

3.69/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

750mL bottled poured into a tulip.

(A)- Pours a deep chestnut brown color. Some tan froth & lace.

(S)- A nice almond/hazelnut-like coffee liqueur smell to it. Bits of cocoa too.

(T)- Similar to the smell, but drier and not nearly as rich as expected.

(M)- It has a good carbonation level to it. Overall, its really just a basic brown ale with some fun flavors, but kinda falls apart at the finish. Much much thinner mouthfeel than expected considering how rich and decadent the aroma was.

(O)- Not bad, but a huge difference from how good this smells like. Not one of Founders' best.

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%

A: pour is a deep brown, slight ruby tints at top and bottom of glass, nice 1 finger worth cream white head formation, thick bubbles, high carbonation, moderate lacing, leaves a nice thin film across the top of the glass

S: wow this is a big brown ale and extremely unique. Massive hazel nuts, deep sweet maple, coffee notes, and a nice creaminess and a touch of toffee

T: big hazel nut dominates the palate. There is a nice sweet maple backbone that holds this one together with ever slight touch of hops in the finish. Very creative, but it lacks complexity like many other brown ales.

M: medium bodied, hazel nut lingers throughout the beer. It fits for this brew quite nicely.

O: really think this one is extremely unique, and thought that the creativity in this one was great. Great smell, but the taste seems more one dimensional. Nice offering, worth trying.

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%

750ml bottle shared by jdiddy. Pours a beautiful mahogany color with a loose head that dissipates into a soapy skim with clustered dollops. Nose expresses a huge hazelnut and coffee presence. Taste follows nose; however, there is a distinct artificial sweetener character with a slightly bitter and lingering aftertaste. Mouthfeel is medium-light in body with a crisp, even carbonation. I can honestly say that 3-4 oz. was more than a sufficient pour. The artificial sweetener is just a bit too much in my opinion. If you plan on opening this, make sure you have some help.

Thanks to tut2528 for opening this at our tasting
Poured into FFF tulip

Appearance: Poured a dark brown with mahogony red along the edges when held up to the light with a one finger size head that is an off white. Head does not stay around long. Leaves a collar along the edge.

Smell: Up first is the hazelnut with some coffee and molasses. Lots of cream notes like in a coffee creamer.

Taste: All hazelnut up front with not a ton else going on. I do get a backbone of sweetness throughout. Hazelnut sticks around in the mouth from sip to sip.

Mouthfeel: This brown ale is on the thin side but creamy at the same time. Do not detect any carbonation at all.

Overall: This is a solid brown ale but very straight forward and one dimensional. As I continue to sip the hazelnut really becomes too much. Good thing I'm sharing this with a couple friends.

3.71/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Smells sweet and mainly of hazelnut, even the coffee notes are restrained compared to the hazelnut.

Taste is pretty similar, very sweet, lots of hazelnut, some subtle coffee.

This is a good beer, not amazing but perfectly drinkable. I don't see why everyone has been shitting on this beer so much.

7.3/10

3.74/5  rDev -6.3%

750 ml bottle
Served into a tulip

A: Medium brown, mahogany colored body with some maroon hues in the light. Very bubbly light beige head forms and does stick around for some time. Thin retention ring with some splotchy lacing. Certainly lighter overall than expected for the style.

S: Lots of fresh coffee beans, hazelnuts, almonds and some dark roasted malts. Smells very inviting, a bit of cream and sugary sweetness in there as well.

T: Initially there's a lot of hazelnut flavor, along with the strong coffee component. The malts intertwined rather nicely and helped balance out what little sweetness was here. Nothing overboard but really almost a one-dimensional beer.

M: A lot thinner than expected, lower end of a medium body when a beer of this nature should be a bit more robust. No detection of the 9% ABV which was nice.

While this started out really great and flavorful, I quickly became bored with it. Perhaps 12 ounces was just enough, as I did finish it, but it didn't make me want more. I didn't get the overt fake sugary sweetness like a lot of people are saying at all. A nice beer with plenty of hazelnut and coffee, just a bit boring in the end.

3.74/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

big bottle into a tulip. kept at cellaring conditions.

A: a lot of haze on a muddy brown body. head is slightly off-white and frothy. good retention and lacing.

S: smells like something Rogue makes. loads of sweetness and hazelnut. reminds me of a specialty brew from Dunkin Donuts.

D: tons of sweetness this thing is still loaded with hazelnut. really drinks like a dessert coffee. as it continues, it is almost too sweet. lots of body.

M: moderate carb on a big body.

D: like I said on the nose, drinks a lot like a specialty cup of coffee from DD or any brew Rogue would do. I think I like it but part of me hates the utter lack in complexity. indifferent.

3.75/5  rDev -6%

Shared and reviewed at a tasting on 8-17-12. Hadn't heard much about this one prior to purchasing but felt fortunate to find this one, gotta try new Founders.

Pours a hazy light brownish-red. A creamy beige head falls to a thick ring and slight cap leaving a bit of lace.

Strong scent, insanely strong hazelnut. It's like smelling hazelnut flavored coffee right from the bag. Admittedly comes off as artificial and one-note, but it's quite something.

Taste is tamed compared to the scent, a bit of disappointment but decent. Hazelnut coffee is still prevalent/a bit over the top, but some other flavors shine through - caramel and toasty malts, slight cocoa and dark fruit, a bit of alcohol.

Kind of a limp mouthfeel for a brown of this size, but not too bad. Moderate carbonation, lightness, and decently hidden ABV make it a pretty easy drinker.

Enjoyable to an extent, noticeably artificial and one-note which is weird for Founders. Best to split as these flavors get tiring somewhat quickly.

Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown from Founders Brewing Company