Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Frangelic Mountain BrownFounders Frangelic Mountain Brown

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Brown Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: bashiba on 03-18-2012

Thanks to my lovely & talented wife for driving out to pick up a bottle of this brew while I was slaving away in the salt mines of Minneapolis. All she had to hear was "hazelnut-coffee" & I believe she was in her car moments later. Speeding. Well, she always speeds, so...the beer. 750 ML bottle split with my wife.

Pours brown with reddishness. Nose is pulsing with hazelnut - nadda else. Smells exactly like my wife's morning cofee. You know, 70% hazelnut creamer, 30% coffee. It's actually more white than anything else.

Frangelic Mountain Brown cloys up my cloy senses. The hazelnut has a fake accent that I can't get past; it doesn't quite hit medicinal or cough syrup, but it tastes like it was conceived by two machines with no regard for nature. And it seems to clash with the coffee, I just don't like the tastes together. The end result, with the big malts, is sickly sweeet. And I love sweet.

The result is a big beer that's a jumble of clashing flavors, none of which are terribly appealing. I could drink this, but it's mediocre by a very long short cut.

3.03/5  rDev -24.1%

Thanks to Andrew for sharing this bottle.

A - Dark amber with a ring of white head.

S - Hazelnut coffee - plain and simple. Not much else going on here at all.

T - Hazelnut and coffee flavours completely overpower this beer. A slight bitterness in present in the finish but overall this is very sweet throughout.

M - Medium body. Light carbonation.

O - Glad I tried this at a tasting as there is no way I could have handled a bottle to myself. This is the first Founders offering that I have been disappointed with. Not a bad beer, but very one dimensional.

3.05/5  rDev -23.6%

Poured into a goblet, the brew appears a clear brown with a yellowish copper hint around the edges when held to the light. A tan cap a finger strong fades to a thin film with spotty lace sticking to the glass.

The aroma is bold with a fresh roasted coffee scent. Quite a nutty aspect with almost a hint of cream, vanilla and chocolate making it's way into the nostrils. I dont have a lot of experience with hazelnut by itself but it is felt in this from the nutty aromatics.

The taste is bitter coffee with again the nutty aspect coming into play pretty directly. Some herbal elements clash a bit with the coffee flavor and blends into a mild fruity alcohol inclusion. More sips of this brew focus more on the roast like burnt coffee that leaves a lasting oily cling with somewhat of a musty aspect inside the mouth.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest level of carbonation. This starts off as a pretty solid brew but halfway through my glass ive had enough and dont want any more. This is one of those brews that I wish I would have shared with more than 2 people. If my pour was limited to 4 ounces, I probably would have rated this higher. But since I had a full glass to ponder over a long duration, it really didnt grow on me. Unlike the other offerings in Founders backstage series, this is one brew I dont care to have again.

Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown from Founders Brewing Company