2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Frangelic Mountain BrownFounders Frangelic Mountain Brown

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Brown Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: bashiba on 03-18-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,084 | Reviews: 293 | Show All Ratings:
nrs207

4.4/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A - Nice brown color with hints of dark red. Nice off white head, about a finger.

S - Smell has a hint of a brown ale, but if I close my eyes it's like I'm smelling hazelnut iced coffee with cream. And with this beer, that's what I want. Awesome smell.

T - Much along the lines of the smell. Not quite as awesome, but still basically a hazelnut coffee with cream. Nicely sweet with some toasted malt to remind you it's a beer. Really well done.

M - Pretty smooth, creamy. Not quite perfect so a 4.5. The drinkability is insane on this one. No hint whatsoever of 9%.

O - For a brown ale brewed with hazelnut coffee, I can't imagine it being much better. Maybe if they brewed it with hazelnuts and coffee it might taste even better and more natural, but I'm not going to nitpick too much. Gets a slight knock on the artificial flavors, but it's still the best brown ale I've had.

07-25-2012 22:53:09 | More by nrs207
srv33

4.15/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured into a half-mug on tap, pours a dark semi-clear brown, with a thin tan head and fantastic fine lacing. Strong scent of coffee, hazelnut, vanilla, and chocolate. Taste very closely follows nose, with the hazelnut coffee flavor dominating. It does do that well though, it really does hazelnut and coffee flavors like nothing else, if that sounds appealing - definitely get a hold of this brew. Mouthfeel is fantastically smooth, thick, and creamy. Overall a very well done brew, highly recommended for someone who wants a strong coffee-hazelnut combo.

09-05-2012 23:27:32 | More by srv33
bcostner1

Tennessee

4.2/5  rDev +5.8%

A: Poured into a tulip. As brown ales go, this is pretty spot on. Pours moderately dark brown; I actually wish it was just slightly on the darker side personally. Thick 2 finger tan head that slowly dissipates. Decent looking beer.

S: The smell on this beer is really the kicker; it is a total hazelnut bomb and smells awesome. The hazelnuts are the main thing that you pick up, coupled with some ground roasted coffee that takes a backseat to this hazelnut. Also getting some sweet and roasted malts as well.

T: As with the smell, the hazelnuts are the star here and are the thing that I get first and foremost. Definite coffee element as well...but it's different to me than the coffee I usually find in a coffee stout; it's almost a "lighter" coffee that fades into the background more than I expected. There is also a hazelnut liqueur/Frangelico element to this beer which, to me, makes it almost a little bit too "syrupy" tasting. Also picking up: sweet malts, some muted hops in the finish, toasted nuts (besides the hazelnuts). Overall, well balanced between the hazelnuts, coffee, floral hops and malt sweetness.

M: Pretty easy drinker. Really don't taste the alcohol much which is a good thing. As I mentioned before, I am getting some of that "hazelnut liqueur" element which makes it a little on the syrupy side IMO. Could also use just a little bit more body in my opinion.

Overall, I enjoyed this beer quite a bit. I didn't really know what to expect but since I love brown ales and coffee beers I figured this would be right in my wheelhouse. Definitely enjoyable and I'm glad that I got to try it but I think there is definitely room for some small improvements here and there. I'm glad I got 2 bottles; one for now and one to save for the fall (although I personally don't think this one will age very well since the coffee....particularly in Founders' brews IMO....falls off fairly quickly and, I assume, the hazelnut will follow suit in this one too.) Get it and enjoy it fresh!

06-27-2012 13:36:33 | More by bcostner1
dowen17

Alabama

4.33/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a dark brown with red highlights in the light. Two finger head that drops to one finger and stays.

On the nose is sweet malts, hazelnut, coffee, and sugar. I also pick up some bitter dark chocolates on the end. The more I smell the more flavors I pick up in the nose. Very nice.

Taste mirrors the nose exactly. Sweet hazelnut, bitter coffee and chocolates, sweet roasted malts. This is a really really good brown beer.

Mouthfeel is creamy and rich. Good carbonation. Really nice.

This is a great beer. Would definitely drink again if I can get my hands on another. Really really good.

09-08-2013 18:20:51 | More by dowen17
JustinMatthew

4.73/5  rDev +19.1%

Picked this bottle up today, poured into a Founders pint glass.

Pours a dark brown color with an amber hue, finger width of off white head and slightly translucent. Smell is all coffee, hazelnut with out a doubt. One of the nicest smelling beers around. Taste again.. syrupy hazelnut, iced coffee, A touch of vanilla and caramel. Moderate body and Nice carbonation. This thing packs a hazelnut wallop and it's fantastic, I can't remember having a better brown ale

07-14-2012 01:53:59 | More by JustinMatthew
sjones5045

4.66/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Drank out of bomber for the third time in little less than a year of aging. Pours a thinner head but honestly, the color and look are an after thought after you get the first whiff of a very strong hazel nut smell. Honestly one of the strongest most pleasant smelling beers I've experienced.

Taste...absolutely delicious. In comparison to the nut brown class it ranks at the top. More specifically, in comparison to other hazelnut brown ales it still is head and shoulders the best. I did read other reviews that knocked the "artificial hazelnut taste". Two responses to that, first, don't care if artificial or not, it's a strong taste that would make a fantastic dessert beer, or a sipper just relaxing in the winter. And secondly, how often has anyone had a natural hazelnut taste? Not really sure if I've ever tried natural hazelnut to compare but until I do know this works just fine for me. The only downside would be for someone that doesn't like a sweeter type of beer or hazelnut, since there is a ton of it present in this beer.

Overall, Founders continues to dominate the darker beer space. They have perfected this style of beer with this offering. Only wish this was a consistent release. If and when they release this again, I'll be among the first in line to buy. If you can still find this, grab it.

01-01-2013 20:39:16 | More by sjones5045
biga7346

3.48/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into an oversized CBS snifter.

A - Turbid brown, caramel, soapy lacing and a thin white head of foam.

N - Burnt toast, charcoal, cocoa nibs, chocolate covered coffee beans; overly cloying in the roasty, burnt, and hazelnut notes; dark roasted coffee, rum bread, booziness, vanilla bean and some bourbon, smells a little (or a lot) like hazelnut liqueur if there is such a thing.

T/M - Hazelnut iced coffee, some port or even cognac, more fudginess; the roastiness sticks firmly in the back of the palate, grainy texture, milky notes, candied peanuts, raisins.

D - Not Founders best, but probably the tastiest coffee-themed beer I've had.

08-19-2012 01:33:23 | More by biga7346
DrinkMoreBigBeers

3.6/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- It poured out a really dark brown color that you can see red through it as you hold it up to the light, however not transparent. The head was minimal and died off fast.

S- First thing I pick up on this one is strong hazelnut coffee, the rest is real soft and light on the nose with vanilla, and some creamer. Can you say hazelnut coffee, nice!

T- I get a sweet flavor right up front but do not pick up a hazelnut like on the smell. I get more of a dark fruit taste in this for some reason with a bitter taste of coffee on the back end. I also pick up some alcohol on this one. On the very end there is some vanilla and a slight hazelnut. Not what I expected from the smell.

M- Medium body with a good amount of carbonation. This one feels like it is scrubbing my tongue clean as I drink it.

O- Frangelic Mountain Brown is good however it is real pricey coming in at $14 for a 750ml bottle. I would pass and look for something different IMHO. I was really looking forward to this as I am a huge Founders fan, however it did not live up to my expectations.

09-15-2012 01:30:59 | More by DrinkMoreBigBeers
scottyg354

4.3/5  rDev +8.3%

A: Typical of a brown ale. Brownish Mahagony with a head that quickly wears out.

S: Nice Hazlenut Coffee, Light Malt, Some Toffee Hints. Light bread notes.

T:Really a good taste. The hazelnut coffee is the standout feature, follows by Toffee and nuts with a mild sweetness. Excellent.

M: This beer was a little to thin for my taste. Had the consistency of a New Castle which is fine if you are drink New Castle.

O:Go for it. I wouldn't make it something I would hunt for but if chance arises give it a go.

07-25-2012 17:21:09 | More by scottyg354
hansgruber

Indiana

4.2/5  rDev +5.8%

Growler from KBS day. Drank about ten days later

Dark brown body with a small head. The last couple pours yielded a nice big head though.

Strong hazelnut nose with a malty and coffee presence too.

Taste is strong hazelnut and a bit of a coffee flavor. Slightly sweet. Just like the nose. Medium bodied.

Overall a one sided beer but it's very good.

Serving type: growler

03-24-2012 04:04:41 | More by hansgruber
kylelenk

3.56/5  rDev -10.3%

Finally reviewing the notorious FMB. Have had multiple times in multiple formats although these are my feelings on the bottle variant.

A: What you'd expect from a brown ale. Nice darker body with a sandy head that dissipates much like other Founders beers leaving a slick like residue on top of the beer.

S: It's reminiscent of a cheap coffee house brought on by the huge hazelnut coffee notes. They hide this bad boy's ABV really well.

T: Very easy to enjoy a few sips but then the flavor becomes so overwhelming. Leaving it to sit does nothing to bring anything additional out. Very hard to finish a pint glass of this and would much prefer a 12oz bottle. Huge blasts of hazelnut coffee absolutely dominate anything else in the beer.

M: My biggest critique is the carbonation...almost club soda like. Huge bubbles that are quire distracting.

O: Certainly not as bad as its reputation I do enjoy this in limited volume. Perfect for a bottle share.

01-14-2014 16:42:02 | More by kylelenk
xenjoiii

750ml poured into my Founder's Tulip

A: Dark brown with a two finger off-white head.

S: Lots of hazelnut and coffee take the forefront of the aroma. I'm also picking up a sugary sweet smell underneath the hazelnut and coffee.

T: Strong hazelnut upfront. As the hazelnut fades into the background, a malty sweetness emerges until a slight bitterness from the coffee settles out the back.

Medium carbonation and body

I really enjoyed this beer. As it began to warm up all of the flavors began to intensify and really brought the beer to its full potential. This would have made an excellent fall release. Nonetheless, Founder's has put out another top notch brew.

07-08-2012 23:22:36 | More by xenjoiii
ricknelson

Vermont

4.13/5  rDev +4%

Poured into a tulip style glass. Came to a nice head, but not as high as I would have expected.
Very nice color, mild lacing. Could smell the hazelnut, which is flavor of Dunkin Donuts coffee
that I usually would pick. Nice tasting beer with just a hint of a little bitterness. Shared this with
a friend and we both gave it high marks for overall appeal. Its a beer that I would buy again.
There really hasn't been a Founders beer that I've had that I would not rate as a great beer.
Very dependable brewer that I have used in my group tastings in the past. Can't miss beer.

03-09-2014 02:26:09 | More by ricknelson
robboyd

Indiana

3.95/5  rDev -0.5%

Nice beer from Founders. Average looking pour with a fluffy white foam. Moderate lacing throughout consumption. It holds a really great nose with coffee, hazelnut, vanilla, burnt sugar, and a bit of booze. I thought it was delightful.

The taste is much the same as the nose, dominant by the hazelnut coffee. It's nicely sweet and reminds you that you're drinking beer. It had a fairly light mouthfeel but a strong sugary finish that I didn't particularly care for.

Overall, it was a good beer but at $15, it didn't blow me away. Not the best out of the backstage series but I'll continue to buy the backstage beers as I haven't been truly disappointed yet.

07-17-2012 02:05:46 | More by robboyd
mjohnson17

3.7/5  rDev -6.8%

750ml bottle poured into glass.

Appearance - pours a clear dark brown with a good 1+ inch of creamy head.

Smell - the smell really turned me off at first. It's a strong sweet smell but not in a good way. If one thing is a miss for this beer I would say its the smell.

Taste - quite good. After hearing mixed reviews I was pleasantly surprised by the taste. It is sweet, but in a good way with chocolate and hazelnut flavors very upfront. Tastes a lot like liquified Nutella, but not overpowering.

Mouthfeel - for the stronger hazelnut/chocolate/dessert flavor you're expecting a heavier beer, but it stays true to the brown ale style. It's lighter in mouthfeel and smooth.

Overall - much better than I expected. The reviews thus far have been good but I've heard lots of negative feedback elsewhere. I thought it was a very good beer, it was just what you expect, a very tasty hazelnut flavored brown ale. I would definately drink this again, however not sure if I would actively seek it out. Overalls very pleased with the result. It's not CBS, but another solid Founders beer.

07-23-2012 01:49:24 | More by mjohnson17
mtlasley

3.88/5  rDev -2.3%

Frangelic pours a slightly off colored brown that becomes a deeply rich mahogany color when held to the light. A light beige one and a half finger head is comprised of large, soapy bubbles and take a small time disappearing. It's a deep looking brown ale but it's nothing to write home about.

Artificial hazelnut and malt are the first two things I get on the nose. Not too artificial smelling but definitely there. There's a slight alcohol on the background but it's very hidden. Hazelnut, coffee, malt, caramel and alcohol are about all I get from this beer. It's smells very sweet and slightly one dimensional, but not in a bad way. The nut scent stands out here and I'm sure that's what Founders was shooting for.

Hazelnut flavored coffee up front. What can I say? The malt follows and is very nutty and sweet. Lots of caramel flavors under coffee. The malt backbone here really reminds me of Fat Tire for some reason...
Very sweet and I see why some don't like it. I enjoy the sweetness though but I don't know about dropping $13 a bottle for this more than once.

Overall a medium thickness in the mouth. Thinner than a stout but thicker than the usual brown ale.

Overall, a great brown ale with an interesting showcase ingredient. I fail to find the "nasty" artificiality that some are getting and I find that the artificial hazelnut note works out well within the whole beer. The price and availability are the only limiting factors. While I'm delighted to have had a bottle, it's not something I'll chase down.

07-15-2012 23:46:59 | More by mtlasley
TATURBO

4.65/5  rDev +17.1%

From Growler purchased at KBS Day 2012. 8.1%

A: Light brown with minimal head.

S: Nutty, Coffee. Making my nose excited for the taste!

T: Coffee, but way different than the norm for most coffee beers I've tried. Strong Nutty flavor with Cashew/Pecan leading the way.

M: Lightly carbonated (From Growler after nearly 2 weeks though)

O: This is an awesome coffee beer with a sweet nuttiness. Glad I was able to score some to bring home and can't wait for the Backstage release, Just hoping I can score some then.
Way to Go Founder's! GREAT STUFF!

Serving type: growler

05-31-2012 19:10:47 | More by TATURBO
ao125

2.68/5  rDev -32.5%

When I wake up in the morning, I like having a cup of coffee (or three).
My guilty pleasure is adding Coffee Mate liquid Hazelnut Coffee Creamer to said coffee.

When it comes time to drinking a beer, I don't really want it to taste like my morning coffee.

This, in every way, shape, and form, tastes exactly like alcoholic coffee with hazelnut coffee creamer.

If you're into that, I heavily suggest this beer. If you're not, I heavily don't.

I do have to give Founder's props for absolutely, 100% capturing the flavor exactly - I just don't think it translates well to beer.

I have 1 bottle left, at the time of this review, that I'd be willing to trade for something else.

Bottom line: This is a "love it or hate it" beer. I don't think there is a middle ground.

11-28-2012 19:16:36 | More by ao125
Gigantis

3.6/5  rDev -9.3%

A. Pours a little frothier than I expected with a very light head. The beer itself is a very pleasant light brown color. The abundant head lasted a while.
S. Coffee and hazelnut in good harmony. Aroma is lovely.
T. The taste is good but not as well-balanced as the smell, I thought. It's a lot of hazelnut, really. There is a nice peaty quality to it and the alcohol presence is about what you would want. Still, I was not blown away.
M. Not sticky or syrupy at all. Pretty light, actually. If it wasn't so damn expensive it would be very drinkable despite the higher alcohol content.
O. I don't usually like to judge brews based on the price but I would have expected more from this. All things being equal (and price-wise they are not), I prefer Founders Breakfast Stout to this.

08-09-2012 18:54:17 | More by Gigantis
GrindFatherBob

4.85/5  rDev +22.2%

Served into a 12oz bullet glass at Tap and Mallet during the Founders vs. Goose Island tap takeover.

The pour was a nice clear mahogany, with a light beige 1 1/2-2" creamy head that stuck around til the end of the glass. Smelled of hazelnut coffee, caramel, toffee, ice cream, just a wonderful nose that I could appreciate for hours. Taste was much of the same, everything integrated near perfectly with a super creamy, full mouthfeel. I think that the nitro treatment really completes this beer, takes away any acrid, harsh coffee tinge and smooths out the whole experience. A must try if you see it on nitro.

Serving type: nitro-tap

01-21-2013 01:21:44 | More by GrindFatherBob
RummyRedbeard

4.13/5  rDev +4%

Poured from bottle into duvel tulip glass... This is a pretty old beer now that I think about it (Founders' says it was released July '12), I had it stashed and for some reason never got around to buying it. Though I was advised against aging this brew, I must say that I'm not displeased by my incompetence to purchase this at an earlier date.

Pours very dark brown though not completely opaque. Small cream head. The smell is very sweet; toffee, caramel, buttery, hazelnut flavoring. The taste on the other hand starts off very chocolaty with a bit of hazelnut coffee that turns into a mainly bold roast flavor (excluding the dryness that normally goes along with that roasted attribute). 9% ABV is unapparent. Mouthfeel is a little too thick and syrupy for a brown ale.

Overall, the flavor of the beer is what stood out the most to me... between having milk chocolate roll into delicious strong coffee notes and completely masking a considerably high ABV. The appearance was pretty spot on as well... the overly sweet smell and the syrupy mouthfeel I did not dig very much for the style though.

12-21-2013 07:01:35 | More by RummyRedbeard
DMarlinJ

4.05/5  rDev +2%

Served at 45` Poured into English Pub glass. I got a two finger head, off white, nice foamy bubbles, sticky lacing. Head settled fairly quick. Nice dark amber color, a bit murkey.

Smell the coffee and hazlenut, hint of booze more as it warms. My nose is not sensitive so I don't pick up much else.

First taste picked up bitter note that mellowed into toffee, caramel, milk chocolate and hazelnut. Booze is hidden but comes out more as it warms. I like the balance of bitter and sweet creaminess. Nice lingering bite. I love coffee and was eager to taste this one. But it may be a bit cloying.

Feels rich and creamy. I like the carbonation not too much. As I rest between drinks my mouth anticipates another washing.

Overall. I it's enjoyable and I could repeat this one but the cost is too high for what you get in return. (too hyped) It may not be very complex but a simple straight forward taste enjoyment can't be knocked. It is my first of their backstage releases.

07-27-2012 00:50:41 | More by DMarlinJ
kdb150

2.5/5  rDev -37%

Picked up a few bottles of this in anticipation of a great experience. I expected very good things from this experiment. Sadly, it was a huge disappointment.

A - Looks great poured into my Russian River pint glass. Nice toasty brown color, and an impressive 2 finger ivory head that stuck around a while, though lacing was minimal. Very attractive.

S - Eh. Some hazelnut and coffee with a bit of toasted malt in the background, but not a ton of aroma from this one.

T - After the aroma, I was less sure about this. The taste was just awful. It tasted like someone took a large-ish brown ale and added too much artificial hazelnut syrup to it. The flavors were sharply different on the tongue and didn't meld together well at all. I tried drinking some colder to see if that would help, but it was the same thing. Not much in the way of coffee flavor. I would have dinged the flavor even more, but there is a sense on the back end that there's a pretty good brown ale under all those artificial hazelnuts. I got through 1/3 of the bottle before I was left with no choice but to drainpour.

M - Decent feel, carbonation felt right, and it was a bit sticky, which is to be expected from a big brown.

O - I'm a bit hastier about my drainpours than most probably are, but this is not a good beer. The artificial flavoring creates a sharp contrast between the hazelnut and brown ale flavors, where they should meld together. The base beer is almost completely drowned out by the hazelnut. I'm hoping 6 months or a year dulls the edges on this one, but this one is almost undrinkable right now.

07-16-2012 12:30:42 | More by kdb150
anth0ny

3.8/5  rDev -4.3%

Nice firm pour gets me a couple finger's worth of light cream-brown head, which fades quickly. Nice rich brown color beer, little lacing, some unfiltered goodies. Looks good.

Smell is...hazlenut. I've never had the most keen of noses, but that's all I'm getting. Smells good, just doesn't smell like a beer.

I've actually had this beer fresh out of the tap, and I must say, aging this beer for a few months definitely does some good things to the flavor. In the taproom it was so full of hazelnut flavor that I couldn't even drink a full glass, literally gave the beer away. I wasn't very excited about them brewing this beer (why they chose this beer to bottle over the Frangelic Porter boggles me and probably always will), but I collect the bottles so naturally I picked one up. After some maturing the brown ale really makes its way back into the beer. The hazelnut is most certainly still up front in the mix, but underneath is a nicely balanced brown ale. The flavor hits sweet hazelnut, washed away but the robust brown with a hint of hops on the way out. Maybe even a pinch of heat at the very end, but at 9% the alcohol is almost undetectable. I can dig it.

Nicely carbonated with a solid body. Overall not as bad as I thought the second time around. As I mentioned previously, if you have a bottle, let it sit for awhile. You'll get more beer out of this....beer. I'm certain this isn't the peak of Founders capabilities, but I enjoyed the bottle.

10-06-2012 03:36:25 | More by anth0ny
FATC1TY

Georgia

4.83/5  rDev +21.7%

Poured from a bomber to a Founders Tulip:

A: Medium colored brown, not as dark as I expected, but pretty deep brown. Pours a 1.5/2 finger tan head that lingers and fades to a simple rim around the glass. Pretty good lacing on the glass as I drink it.

S: Hazelnut. It's huge, it's a bomb on the nose. The coffee is pretty much back seat, it smells really good. Burnt sugar and coffee meddle with cocoa and a toasty biscuit smell.

T: The nutty hazelnut quality is really in your face, but you get the lighter roasted coffee flavor and the malty toasted flavor with it. Very balanced. Chocolate, and toasted biscuit notes in there, with the floral hops, and the slight syrupy nutty flavor is present, there is a slight spicy note that really give you everything but the kitchen sink! The hazelnut flavor really lingers and has a slight liquor like finish to the end that isn't bad. Alcohol is hidden, nothing to be found here for 9%. Allowing it to warm really brings the nutty flavor to the front.

M: Medium body, a bit lighter than I expected, would have liked it a bit thicker perhaps. Carbonation is just right, enough to really get the whole picture. Smooth, slightly creamy, but could have been lusher with more to it.

O: Great brown ale. I love browns, love coffee, and love hazelnuts. I really like this beer, and think it's a really good brew! Glad I got to get a bottle of this, and think it's one of the better brown ales I've had.

06-30-2012 01:28:04 | More by FATC1TY