Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Frangelic Mountain BrownFounders Frangelic Mountain Brown

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Brown Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: bashiba on 03-18-2012)
4.03/5  rDev +1.3%

Thanks to zipper8650 for this one!

A: Pours a deep brown color with a small off-white head, about one finger in height that reduces quickly leaving a very thin cap on top. Thin lacing forms all around the glass.

S: Very sweet and nutty. Lots of hazelnut, cream, caramel, coffee. Reminds of me a Dunkin Donuts Hazelnut coolata. Rather nice.

T: Again, very sweet and sugary. There is a heavy hazelnut flavor with some caramel and toffee. It reminds me again of a hazelnut coolata, but also of Baileys cream.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. A bit on the creamy side.

O: Different for a brown ale and I am enjoying it. Certainly on the sweet side and surprisingly enjoyable, but definitely a sipper.

mdaschaf, Jul 30, 2012
4.15/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from the bottle into a snifter glass.

Pours out like a nice honey brown color, hitting the glass with deep mahogany brown and some cola like bubbles. Body color is dark but up to the light shows lots of red. Head is foamy and creamy with some retention, and a nice caramel and tan color. Scattered lacing.

Nose is really impressive. Milky coffee and a mild sweetness. Hints of nuts and vanilla also. Strong, but not overpowering. Smells more like coffee than beer, and lots of caramel action. Virtually caramel coffee.

Taste is interesting. Texture is more impressive, light bodied with a nice alcohol thickness and sugar character without a big sweetness. Sweetned milk and toast, melds with a very light body giving the sense of dumbed watered down Bailey's but I'll take it. Toasty malt seems to be hidden though. After some time a slightly sour tannic nut quality, not totally acrid, but it becomes noticeable after several sips.

Overall real interesting brown ale, but I am not going crazy for this. However, it's a great crafted brew what else would you expect from Founders.

smakawhat, Jul 04, 2012

brandoman63, Jan 15, 2013
4.43/5  rDev +11.3%

On tap at Blue Dog durin their wealth of riches event.

The beer pours a fairly dark brown color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is attractive in this beer, as I pick up vanilla, light coffee and chocolate, and some frangelica liquer (which I guess is to be expected). The beer smells rich and sweet, but at least for me, I found that the combination of aromas really worked for me. The flavor profile replicates the nose, with the beer also showcasing a roasty malt quality and light bitterness that I thought blended in well with the vanilla, mocha and frangelica. Mouthfeel was fairly full, with a long, roasty sweet finish. Alcohol was nicely integrated into the flavor profile, which I felt enhanced this beers drinkability.

Had this side by side with the Better Half, and found that I preferred this beer. It was bit less sweet and boozy than the BH, which probably explains why I preferred it. Clearly one of the best brown ales I've ever tasted.

Edit from 1/14. Sampled from bottle (alas, this beer is long since retired now), and this beer was every bit as good as I remembered at Blue Dog. The light bitterness is gone, but the beer remains a frangelica lover's dream. So rich and smooth, with a huge hazelnut presence. I guess it's not for everyone, but I really like this beer.

John_M, Oct 02, 2012

rab53, May 12, 2013
4.15/5  rDev +4.3%

750ml bottle into my CBS snifter. Dark brown in color with a thin, creamy head to it. Pretty good head retention to it.

the coffee really comes through in the aroma. The hazelnuts give it some roasted nutty flavors that I'm really liking. The sweeter, malty, brown ale flavors are a little overshadowed, but are very complimenting to the coffee flavors overall. Great aroma to it overall, the hazelnut coffee flavors were fantastic

The taste also shows a strong coffee presence. Up front it shows a little more of the traditional roasted coffee flavors, but the finish is where the nutty hazelnuts really shine. The malty sweetness of the base beer comes out in the finish as well and really mixes well with the hazelnut coffee flavor.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being a little above average. Overall, I thought it was a great beer. I actually really like hazelnut coffee and drink it frequently so this beer was really something I was looking forward to. The malty sweetness and the hazelnut coffee complimented each other very well. One of the better coffee infused beers I've had in a while.

billab914, Jul 15, 2012

iL0VEbeer, Jul 29, 2012
3.73/5  rDev -6.3%

750 ml bottle
Served into a tulip

A: Medium brown, mahogany colored body with some maroon hues in the light. Very bubbly light beige head forms and does stick around for some time. Thin retention ring with some splotchy lacing. Certainly lighter overall than expected for the style.

S: Lots of fresh coffee beans, hazelnuts, almonds and some dark roasted malts. Smells very inviting, a bit of cream and sugary sweetness in there as well.

T: Initially there's a lot of hazelnut flavor, along with the strong coffee component. The malts intertwined rather nicely and helped balance out what little sweetness was here. Nothing overboard but really almost a one-dimensional beer.

M: A lot thinner than expected, lower end of a medium body when a beer of this nature should be a bit more robust. No detection of the 9% ABV which was nice.

While this started out really great and flavorful, I quickly became bored with it. Perhaps 12 ounces was just enough, as I did finish it, but it didn't make me want more. I didn't get the overt fake sugary sweetness like a lot of people are saying at all. A nice beer with plenty of hazelnut and coffee, just a bit boring in the end.

ShanePB, Jul 16, 2012

rolltide8425, Oct 01, 2012

Bottle opened on 7.31.12.

A - Pours a light carmel brown with a fluffy tan head. Large bubbles with good retention.

S - Strong coffee and roasted malts.

T - Milk chocolate, strong coffee, cream, and hazelnuts.

D - Good carbonation with slightly heavier finish from a medium body.

O - Creamy, coffee, and smooth.

HuskyinPDX, Aug 04, 2012
3.65/5  rDev -8.3%

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance - Clear reddish brown. Nice off white head that's well retained.

Smell - Ton of hazelnut and coffee. Nutty brown malts.

Taste - Lots of coffee and lots of hazelnut. Sweet to the point where not a lot of the beer comes out past the adjuncts. Slightly bitter and the nutty malts are faint.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied and medium carbonation. Decently bitter to counter the sweetness.

Overall - The adjuncts are good and good enough that I don't mind not being able to discern the qualities of the beer.

Alieniloquium, Dec 30, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured from a bomber into a tumbler pint, the beer is a ruby-tinted, oak-brown coloring with a filmy, yellowish coating on the surface. Aromas of hazelnut and mocha, with a roasty sweet overall scent. Flavors are rich and roasted, with a slight char underlying backbone. Toffee sweetness highlights the mocha and hazelnut that was present on the nose, with a slight bitterness to the coffee-like flavors. Light, inconsistent lacing along the glass while you drink. The aftertaste is rich, roasted, and slightly bitter. The finish is smooth, but light enough to not be overpowering. The bitterness cleans the palate up a bit to allow for easy enough drinking, despite the increased ABV.

GarthDanielson, Aug 20, 2012
4.2/5  rDev +5.5%

From 750mL bottle to CBS snifter on 7/3/12
*From notes

A: Clean, cola brown in color. A big, straight pour yields a 1.75 finger tanned leather head. Solid retention. Decent lacing and collar follow.

S: If you like hazelnuts like I do, then this one's for you. Mounds of hazelnut reminds me my freshly brewed morning pot o' coffee. Killer, killer stuff. As it warms, hints of salted peanuts, maybe macadamia nuts reveal themselves.

T: Packed with nutty hazel (is that an actual thing?) The brown base allows the hazelnuts to shine, and the base beer takes a backseat - for the better. I get some mild light roast, and luckily it ain't too green. Maybe some milk chocolate chocolate chips toward the back? I like it. I like it a lot.

M: Above average but not outstanding. I mean it's a Brown. And though the ABV is big, it's not meant to be overly viscous I don't think.

O: After the (slight) letdown that was CBH, I wanna welcome back Founders Backstage Series. A really pleasant, easy going and flavorful Brown Ale, one I urge all of you to DRINK FRESH. DO NOT AGE THIS ONE - the hazelnuts will fade into mediocrity. Well done. I really, really hope this convinces Founders to FINALLY bottle their Cashew Mountain Brown!

Rhettroactive, Jul 08, 2012
4.08/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a deep medium brown color with a smallish khaki head that doesn't survive very long. Smells of hazelnuts in spades. Chocolate coffee and caramel round out the aroma quite nicely. the flavor is a solid chocolatey brown ale with a heavy dose of hazelnuts and a hint of coffee. Medium body with a light level of carbonation and a silky velvety mouthfeel. Very nice brown ale with a ton of hazelnut flavor. Never seems like its 9% very simple but very tasty.

johnnnniee, Aug 07, 2012
3.98/5  rDev 0%

Let me begin by stating that I liked this beer, but I liked it in the way that I like a cup of artificially flavored hazelnut coffee at a gas station once in a while; it’s a cheap and trashy kind of fun but not something I’d want very often. I happen to love hazelnuts and nutella and that sort of thing so this one was cool for a one-shot deal but you better love that fake gas station hazelnut coffee if you want to enjoy this.

FMB pours a murky brownish amber with a sizeable head but weak retention and sparse lacing. The aroma is all hazelnut coffee, period. Maybe a little bit of roast and caramel. The flavor follows suit; hazelnut coffee in your face, lighter notes of roasted malt, caramel, toffee, chocolate, vanilla, maybe a touch of maple. Yeah, it’s pretty sweet. Alcohol is nearly undetectable.

Medium to slightly full bodied, moderate, smooth carbonation, nice enough feel that seems appropriate to the overall package. In closing I’m glad I got to try this, but I can see why it wasn’t a favorite amongst this brewery’s usually stellar offerings. Very much a one-trick pony, I’d say. Stay away if you don’t like that hazelnut coffee, I beseech thee!

tobelerone, Dec 07, 2012
4.68/5  rDev +17.6%

This has been sitting in the fridge for a while and what with Sandy fever nearly in full force, might as well crack it open before the power goes out.

Pours a dark brown with a small head into my glass. How else could one describe it? It's brewed with hazelnut coffee so you could also note a coffee hue. 9%? Sounds like an absolute monster.

Smells like one too. Hazelnut, roasted coffee, brown sugar, molasses. All combine with a touch of alcohol warmth in the nose to form the perfect beer for a cold winter day. It's fall and not that cold out but you get the drift?

The flavors are amazing with a strong dose of hazelnut upfront that slams into the taste buds, followed by chocolate, molasses and strong coffee. Ironically, it's mellow enough to where I forget about the alcohol for a minute or two.

Of course, the alcohol creeps up at the back of the mouth, nearly stinging my throat in the process. It must have been a lot more hot when I first bought it a month or three back. Just a touch of hazelnut coffee remains.

Again, this would make the perfect sipper for a cold winter day. With Sandy nearly in our throes, I wonder if she'll bring some snow? I'll certainly regret not saving this beer for such an occasion. Well worth what I paid for it.

Brad007, Oct 28, 2012

Cynic-ale, Sep 07, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

drummermattie02, Jan 28, 2013
3.03/5  rDev -23.9%

Thanks to Andrew for sharing this bottle.

A - Dark amber with a ring of white head.

S - Hazelnut coffee - plain and simple. Not much else going on here at all.

T - Hazelnut and coffee flavours completely overpower this beer. A slight bitterness in present in the finish but overall this is very sweet throughout.

M - Medium body. Light carbonation.

O - Glad I tried this at a tasting as there is no way I could have handled a bottle to myself. This is the first Founders offering that I have been disappointed with. Not a bad beer, but very one dimensional.

TheSevenDuffs, Jul 27, 2012