2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Founders Spite - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Spite
No picture uploaded.
good

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Chile Beer |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: birchstick on 08-21-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 63 | Reviews: 5 | Show All Ratings:
JamesShoemaker

3.13/5  rDev -9.8%

On tap at the brewery, 2 oz sample.

Appearance - amber, lighter than expected.

Smell - packs a wallop. Pepper, pepper, pepper.

Taste - I can't decide if I like the taste, but I think they meant to do exactly what they did. Again, pepper, pepper, pepper.

Mouthfeel - uncomfortable to be sure.

Overall - this beer is a lot more about experience and the skill of the brewer, rather than the drinkability. I would recommend it for fun, but not much else.

09-21-2012 16:08:14 | More by JamesShoemaker
birchstick

Colorado

3.73/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours clear yellow without a head. Nose is freshly cut jalepenos and spicy habenero peppers. Taste opens and finished with a load of spicy jalepenos and hot peppers. Really hot and spicy, bit in a good way. The spiciness detracts from the drinkability...I could t do a full 12oz of this, but would definitely order again in limited quantity.

08-21-2012 22:12:36 | More by birchstick
thagr81us

South Carolina

3.75/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Served from tap into a Raleigh Rare & Vintage Beer Tasting snifter. Poured a golden yellow-orange with a half finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, jalepeno, spice, and earth. The flavor was of sweet malt, spice, earth, pepper, and jalepeno. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty decent brew. I was really quite surprised to this one make an appearance at this festival but I definitely wasn't going to pass up the chance to try it. I'm glad that I did not. The chilis in this one were really well incorporated with the rest of the brew but on the followthrough they made their presence known with a big kick of heat on your palate. It might be overwhelming for some if I am honest, but I rather enjoyed it. A solid example of the style, but nothing too standout-ish going on unfortunately. Defintely a must try for any true fan of the style out there.

02-06-2013 11:56:02 | More by thagr81us
kylelenk

3.9/5  rDev +12.4%

Sampled at the taproom.

A - Golden colored with little or no head.

S - Five on the smell. Incredible. You know right away it's something that will knock your socks off.

T - Gave it five for taste as this has an incredible profile. One of the most spicy things I've had beverage wise.

M - Too much spice here for my pallet.

O - Great to sample and try. Congratulations if you're able to stomach an entire glass.

10-26-2012 19:36:31 | More by kylelenk
tgavrilos

4.98/5  rDev +43.5%

i have never had a beer on my mind for so long it haunts my dreams with spicy goodness. It starts as a cool refreshing beer then BAM... the habanero and anaheim pepper flavor com out and it is painfully amazing. i loved it so much i bought 2 growlers to go. A+ to founders on this one...i mean you already are my favorite brewery but you out did yourselves on this one. Bravo!!

03-14-2013 19:47:57 | More by tgavrilos