2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Founders Bolt Cutter - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Bolt CutterFounders Bolt Cutter

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Barleywine |  15.00% ABV

Bolt Cutter is a cellarable barley wine with an ABV of 15%. Dry-hopped with a mountain of Cascade hops, it’s balanced by a malty sweetness and spicy complexity, resulting from barrel aging some of it in bourbon barrels, some in maple syrup-bourbon barrels and some not at all (standard fermentation only). We’ve allowed the beer to mature in bottles and kegs since July so that it would be perfect for its release next month. Bolt Cutter pours a deep copper color and is best sampled at different temperatures to allow the flavors to unfold.

(Beer added by: Thickfreakness on 11-03-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Bolt Cutter Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,038 | Reviews: 198 | Show All Ratings:
joefuzz

4.93/5  rDev +21.7%

pours deep orange with a very small off white head

smells is fairly hoppy for a english barleywine some amazing citrus notes with a slight sweetness.

taste like a iipa on the first sip...as it warms the malt character shines through with a slight oak taste if i didn't see 15%abv on the label i would have never guessed

mouthfeel is on the lighter side with light carbonation

overall if you are comparing this to king henry you will be very thrown off. this beer is exquisite in its own right...something completely different, awesome beer.

11-23-2012 07:27:11 | More by joefuzz
YCantWeNotBeSober

4.9/5  rDev +21%

A day to remember. Arrived to Founders on BoltCutter Release Day #1, November 11th, 2012. We made our presence known as the first in line at this ticketed event. We were greeted by a kind-spirited employee, who'se heart bears the striking resemblence of St.Nicholas on the magical eve of Christmas, suggesting we join our fellow beer brethren in the masses of the parking lot....We were obviously early. When the Clock stuck noon we were ushered in to the sound of the chicken song. As beer geeks frantically rushed to the store, our excitement reached epic proportions...would our trials and tribulations be worth the anticipation? Skip ahead to minutes later, after purchasing our bottles and appropriate bolt-cutter glasswear, we trekked across the street to experience our gift from the brewers, perhaps aj offering from the benevolent gods above. We poured the liquid gold into our glasswear. Gather round pals, for the tale of Boltcutter....

A: Pours a Bright copper red-orange, reminiscent of the rare Bengal Tiger pelt. A fluffy egg-shell white head rising from the depth of this untamed beast. Gives way to an elegant spider-web lacing (most likely resemembling the fierce Sydney Funnel-web spider (atrax robustus)

S: A bouquet of fresh Hawaiin Pineapple, Dark amber maple syrup from the majestic maples of Vermont. A slight tone of biscuit, just as grandma would prepare on our bi-weekly sunday brunch. The aroma truly fills the nares with gifts of joy and happiness.

T: Heavy Tropical Overtones with a mellow presence, giving one the feeling of an awe-inspiring autumnal sunset. The aforementioned pineapple dominates like a stallion with it's mare. As one sips the brew, the warmth of red dying coals of a huntsman midnight fire. A Floral Hop bitterness, as bitter as the loss of the beloved family ferret (RIP Gerdy).

M: Thick like a swollen Baboon rump. Creamy like fresh-churned butter as would be applied to grandma's bi-weekly biscuits. A light carbonation teases the tongue.

O: As this review comes to a close, the experience shall not be forgotten. The legend of the BoltCutter shall be passed down from generation to generation just as the stories of our time that define a people....I miss Grandma

11-11-2012 18:53:24 | More by YCantWeNotBeSober
FoundersPounder

4.83/5  rDev +19.3%

A- Small amounts of lace and deep amber, but still lighter than I expected.

S- Bourbon and Vanilla hit the nose instantly. Cinnamon, Nutmeg, even got a little Coffee and Chocolate in there somewhere. Extremely Flavorful.

T- A lot hoppier than I was expecting but what a pleasant surprise. Malt and Vanilla most prominent than the Bourbon/Boose, as it reveals its 15% ; still fantastic for an ABV that high.

M- Full bodied; Warming

O- Another fantastic brew from Founders. Might even be my 2nd favorite to date behind the CBS. Stocking up on this and plan on aging as many bottles as possible to share on special occasions for years to come.

Viva La Nemesis

11-30-2012 20:41:58 | More by FoundersPounder
BurgeoningBrewhead

4.83/5  rDev +19.3%

Super-surprised to pull this off the shelf! It's redemption for me; I left this on the shelf back before I knew what it was, and have been kicking myself ever since I found out what I passed over.
Poured into fluted snifter; deep, rich brown-ruby with a fluffy off-white head that fades quickly leaving sticky lacing everywhere.
Smells great; nutty toasted caramel malt, lighter notes of candied fruit. Barely any alcohol in the nose, the age has mellowed this well I'm sure (granted it aged on a shelf rather than a proper cellar)
Taste is perfect for a barleywine. As soon as it enters your mouth, it is everywhere. Sweet hearty nutty caramel malt, like thick sweet bread, candied fruit and warming alcohol. This beer is modest in its perfection; it does what it does well, without being over-the-top about it.
Mouthfeel is big, thick and sticky, although the finish isn't cloying
Overall, this is the best barleywine I have had to date. I'm so glad I managed to find one of these sitting on a shelf. It is perfect for the style, while also being a massive beer, while still being modest. Perfection.

03-24-2014 03:22:19 | More by BurgeoningBrewhead
maristfan

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%

Heard this was being released to the public today so I made a special trip to my local beer bar Mosaic in Astoria Queens to give it a try. Poured from a 750ml bottle.

For 15% this is a very approachable barley wine. A perfect amber color and inviting smell, it doesnt have the fear factor smell lots of barleys do nowadays. The mouthfeel is all about the syrup at first but then it finishes almost light on the tongue. You can taste the effort to balance it with the citrus of the hops, tons of flavor, but it's not overally boozy. I really like this beer. Founders knocked it out of the park again. It doesn't take long before I'm sharing it and the bottle is done. Can only imagine what age will do to this beer, it is already nuanced and complex, tons of malt and I'm usually not a malt loving guy. If you can, get a bottle for you and a friend, it's an awesome share.

11-20-2012 00:28:04 | More by maristfan
reizorc

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had a 22 oz bottle of this onsite at Al's of Hampden, graciously split with a buddy of mine. This was very good... Let it sit for another 6 months to a year or more and it'll be amazing. It's very HOT right now, especially when it warms up. this bottle is well worth the coin but my suggestion is to cellar it for a bit.

07-19-2013 16:10:00 | More by reizorc
Gatch

4.66/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Been sittin' on this for a loooong time! 15th Anniversary Ale - 2012.

A: Beautiful, slightly hazy, bright rose color with shades of pink. Frothy but fairly thin/light off-white head that builds steadily and fades in a similar manner leaving behind some great lacing and retention. Simply stunning!

S: Where to begin...seriously massive malt character. Bread, sugar, booze, barrel, yeast. Aroma is intimidating but also inviting and exciting at the same time. A sign of things to come...

T: Extremely happy that I waited so long to drink this judging by what others have said. While it's still incredibly sweet, boozy, and heavy, I can only imagine how much more amplified these qualities would have been for the first several months after bottling. Having said that...the flavors are massive and truly delicious. Tons of sweet, sugary booze...woody, earthy barrel & bourbon...bready, roasted malt...sugary, dark fruits. This is a true "barleywine." Almost qualifies as a spirit.

M: Viscous with plenty of carbonation to go around. Held up very well. Such a serious beer with serious flavor. For what it is, this is amazing.

O: The definition of "treat." A very special beer. Should I feel selfish drinking the entire 750ml bottle by myself? Nah. It's my sincere hope that Founders can have another 15+ years of success!

02-24-2014 04:55:32 | More by Gatch
augustg

4.65/5  rDev +14.8%

A - Copper reddish color witha thick light tan head that dissipates fairly quickly.

S- HOPS! and soem malt but the hop presence really stands out on this one. Not a bd thing at all but unexpected from a Barleywine

T- The Hops come through again upfront followed by some really srong pineapple and vanilla notes. Bitter finish and a bit of burn at the very end of this beer. Not overly boozy at all.

M- Good mouthfeel overall Not to thin.

O- This beer is excellent and I feel will age very well. Can'y wait to try another in 6 months or so.

11-27-2012 03:35:19 | More by augustg
lackenhauser

Maryland

4.65/5  rDev +14.8%

Many many thanks to my bro in law Randy for this bottle. He may not be on BA but hell he has attended an Extreme Beer Fest in the past!

Nice coppery orange in color. Great aroma of caramel and hops Like a Bigfoot on steroids if you ask me. Just a huge huge flavor!!! Hops and malt simply collide in a massive explosion of flavor!!! Caramel and treacle with a slamming hop bite. Long lingering hop bitterness. Grassy and piney to say the least-set against a backround of caremel and buttery treacle..just so well balanced for a huge beer I am highly impressed. Lip smacking, sticky mouthfeel. not a trace of alcohol here. Wow-I was really expecting a hot solvent like barleywine. Have been dying to try this and I cant get enough. I do not think I have ever seen a 15% beer so well balanced and rounded. Love it.

07-07-2013 02:12:57 | More by lackenhauser
jvillefan

4.61/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A: A deep orange/yellow/amber color the an ivory white head that disappeared quickly.

S: Suprisingly, there was a lot of hop character present in this beer. There was subtle toffee in the background.

T: Bitter on the front end and the back end. The middle is composed of rich caramel and toffee.

M: Very heavy with great carbonation which was a pleasant surprise given that it was a 15% beer.

O: One of the best barleywines I've had. It is up there with King Henry, Mother of All Storms, and Abacus.

01-27-2013 06:56:01 | More by jvillefan
Thickfreakness

4.58/5  rDev +13.1%

Apparently, picked this up a couple of weeks before the actual release... lucky me! Here we go!

A- Poured at just below cellar temp into my Bruery Tulip. A gorgeous copper/amber hue that shows excellent clarity. A thick and fluffy three finger head that holds on nicely as it slowly fades leaving chunks of thick lacing all over my glass! Kinda like looking thru orange blossom honey... clear, yet thick enough to distort whatever lies behind it. Better carbonation than I would have thought.

S- WOW! Caramel candy corn, brown sugar and butter grilled pineapple, ALCOHOL, vanilla sugar, and some toasted nuts. Butterscotch, mango, papaya, marshmallow, sweet pink grapefruit with a nice sweet malt backbone. Picking up alot of hops for an English Style B.W. This has a wonderful depth, but I bet as the alcohol edge mellows in a few years, this one will really shine and become world class.

T- Maple Creme Brulee-Flambe!!! Huge alcohol as I expected from a 15% B.W. so no surprise here! Lots of grilled tropical fruit notes. Like grilling pineapple and mango with a brown sugar butter sauce! Has some little hints of nutty pancakes with light amber maple syrup, marshamallow, caramel rum syrup and freshly scraped vanilla pods. Butterscotch with a shot of dark rum may better describe this fine brew.

M- Nice and chewy like a cinnamon sticky bun with vanilla icing. Really glides down your throat, especially as it warms up. Burns like a nice scotch going down. Like liquid toffee. Carbonation really dies down and becomes thick and viscous as it comes to proper temp. Buttery and honey with a warm glow.

O- This is really fantastic and should develop and get even better with age. Sweet like honey nectar, pineapple, and vanilla caramel candy. Notes of maple syrup, vanilla, tropical fruit and butterscotch... The alcohol is really huge on this one... but that's not something I mind. Really nice on a chilly fall night.

11-03-2012 21:42:53 | More by Thickfreakness
anth0ny

4.58/5  rDev +13.1%

Deep, hazy orange color with a thin off white head, beautiful baby lacing delicately clinging to the top edges of the snifter.

Massive aroma with a full blast of pineapple and hints of caramel and booze. Woah!

Unbelievably smooth mouth for the ABV, huge syrupy body with massive hop, fruit, caramel and bourbon flavor profiles. Dangerously drinkable.

A massive sipper with a bold, enjoyable flavor. Fantastically integrated. Everything from balance to carbonation is off the chain. Founders is known for their barrel aged specialties such as KBS, CBS, and Backwoods Bastard, and this one is right on par.

*Extra notes - Had this on tap twice as well as a bottle. I'm noticing a considerably larger alcohol dominance on the nose and tongue out of the bottle. I'm definitely going to age my second bottle to see if it tones down to taproom quality.

11-28-2012 06:35:17 | More by anth0ny
Greywulfken

4.54/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: center-pour into tulip: clear deep amber with orange highlights; slim head of tan slips away without a trace

S: chewy caramel; suggestion of candied bitter orange; warm brown sugar sweetness

T: alcohol was a little sharp up front; warming, boozy; sweet orange and coriander in a solventy pool; some malty roasted/burnt orange rind

M: at just below room temp, medium body, no real carbonation, some astringence (alcohol); slight chew up front, but then dissolves and slides quickly across the palate; boozy aftertaste - probably a good cigar beer

O: hey, look, its Founders and its a barleywine. You know you're not going to go wrong. This was an excellent barleywine, but (yes, a but) I was not stopped dead in my tracks. I've had Founders Nemesis 2010 (an American barleywine), and plenty of other b'wines - this is up there with the best barleywines, but I don't know that it clearly displaces the best of the bunch.
It is obvious that you need to buy this if you see it, and I credit those with the discipline to store this for a couple of years. It will no doubt be fantastic.

Aged really well: had one on 3/2/13 and it had already morphed into a superior beer than it started off as - more citrus notes on the tongue and nose, all the malt and hop flavors melded and mellowed; super smoothness and deliciousness.

11-25-2012 04:08:09 | More by Greywulfken
josephwa

4.53/5  rDev +11.9%

A - Solid carbonation, white head, golden copper color.

S - Mild aroma to this one. But what I do get is honey, sugar and caramel.

T - Hoppy, honey, caramel, and malty. A great mix of sweet and bitter.

M - Alcohol burn for sure on this one and well carbonated. Not thin, nor thick.

O - Extremely tasty. I love it but wouldn't go out crazy with purchasing more of this. Aging would help this brew in my mind though.

11-20-2012 15:42:38 | More by josephwa
vfgccp

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Barcade BK, Founders tap night.

A - Low offwhite head with ok lace and retention. Cloudy burnt sienna, cognac body.

S - Huge apple brandy nose, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, dried apple, light caramel.

T - Soft round booze, caramel, dried apricot, vanilla extract, sharp oak, dark brown sugar. Long afterglow of warm booze caramel and nutmeg.

M - Expansive mouthfeel with a solid body. Great staying power without feeling syrupy.

O - Insanely smooth. I can't believe this is 15%; it could definitely get you into a world of trouble if you're not paying attention. A stellar barleywine.

11-29-2012 21:31:54 | More by vfgccp
smcnulty1981

Rhode Island

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

A: clear golden orange color with a slight off white 1 finger head with a god ammount of lacing and alcohol legs

S: good ammount of caramel malts and warming vanilla very sweet smelling
Slight dank hop smell no alcohol on the nose

T: vanilla and caramel with a slight hop bitterness there is a slight hint of alcohol

M: full mouthfeel very sticker and lingers for awhile

O: great beer overall asome15th anniversy beer for founders and its a shame that this beer will be brewed only once

03-12-2013 03:02:37 | More by smcnulty1981
PaulyB83

Poured from 750ml bottle into a snifter

A- Bright burnt orange with a small off white head that quickly dissipated. Swirling the glass you can see the alcohol of this thing as it coats the glass and lingers on the sides.

S- Giant sweet malts of toffee, not much in the way of hops.

T- Again big malts, with a noticeably high level of alcohol, still even with that the perfect malt sweetness of this thing that I love in great barleywines and old ales makes me crave more.

M-High viscosity, very smooth, not a lot of carbonation

O- I found this to be a great beer and was happy to find a local restaurant that had bottles of this. One bad thing though was I was alone and had to drink the whole bottle by myself. Needless to say by the end of my meal I had to sit in my car for a good hour before I could drive home, and the next day wasn't very fun. I've only ever gotten that drunk like 2 or 3 other times in my life and wouldn't have this time if I hadn't had to drink the whole thing. Anyway, many seem to say this beer is too hot and I had about 8 months after bottling and didn't find the alcohol to be too dominate. Definitely try this if you get the opportunity.

09-21-2013 22:10:14 | More by PaulyB83
jondeelee

4.49/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bolt Cutter opens to an intensely sweet, hoppy aroma that is instantly reminiscent of syrupy pink grapefruit juice with a dash of pine resin, lemon, and dandelion stem, and below that, a thick sugary base of Candi sugar, brown sugar, and a heaping spoonful of fruit esters, including orange, berry, and cherry, as well as light touches of fig, raisin, and plum. Smatterings of biscuit, whole wheat dough, and light toast crust add an earthy base. As a whole, the nose is very nice, geared toward the sugars as is typical in Barleywines, but nicely balanced and heavily aromatic, the interplay between brown sugar and fruit ester especially nice.

On the tongue, the beer proves darker than the sugary nose let on, the initial flavors being full of dark, rich fruits, including fig, prune, plum, black cherry, and raisin, with touches of berry and blood orange adding slightly lighter notes. These are joined by a heavy alcoholic overtone, the 15% ABV coming in strong, but blending nicely with the massive fruits in a dessert-like fashion. The combination of alcohol and fruits is reminiscent of wild ports or cognacs, with a touch of bourbon thrown in for good measure. The hops add a nice thick layer of syrupy pink grapefruit, as well as lighter lemon and faint pine notes, which help keep the sugars in check. Brown breads, yeasty rising whole wheat dough, toast crust, and biscuit form an earthy base, and the entire beverage is threaded with strong vanilla bean, and lighter caramel and toffee, with even some molasses and black pepper. The aftertaste is a continuation of the main mouthful, but here the booze becomes overly obvious, and the late stages of the aftertaste take on a vodka-like overtone that somewhat mars the presentation. Mouthfeel is a syrupy, viscous heaviness that is reminiscent of agave nectar in feel, and carbonation is light.

Overall, this is fantastic beer, and while the nose was good, the flavors are excellent, and paired with a perfect mouthfeel. Only the strong alcoholic aftertaste proves jarring; the rest of the beer is sweet, sugary heaven.

09-07-2013 00:19:01 | More by jondeelee
Knapp85

4.48/5  rDev +10.6%

This poured out as a reddish orange color with a thin white head on top. The head settles just leaving some scattered spots on top and some very thin lacing on the glass. The smell of the beer is potent, very big orange citrus notes here as well as some earthy hops and plenty of ethanol. The smell almost reminds me of a cleaning product of some kind but at the same time it still smells good. The taste of the beer gives of some massive malt characteristics, it's boozy and sweet, elements of caramel and apple in there some maple and some bitter hops as well. The mouthfeel of the beer is medium to heavy, it's smooth and oily, lightly carbonated. Overall it's a big beer, lots of nice things going on in this one. Might be interesting to have again someday once it's been aged for a little. This beer has a lot of complexity and is very good. Definitely worth trying.

11-24-2012 01:21:22 | More by Knapp85
TwelveOunces

Kentucky

750 ML poured into a snifter

A- Pours very syrupy . A half a finger of a dense off white head. A ton of alcohol legs. A hazy copper color. A menace of a looking beer.

S- There is a lot of hops on the nose. A slight sharp pine, some overly ripened grapefruit. Caramel and toffee. A slight vanilla and a nice oak character.

T- A crisp bitterness up front. Followed up by an obvious alcohol presence. It sweeps over with a bit of the oak flavor and dry feel. There is a very slight touch of bourbon and vanilla. The malt profile of this beer is very caramel and toffee forward which is accented nicely by the vanilla. Hop flavors are more dominant on the nose. The hops are slightly citrus and overly ripened fruits, flavors of an aged IPA.

M- Thick and syrupy. I wouldn't call it hot but it is without a doubt a very warming beer. More drinkable then I was expecting. Good carbonation and a bitter palate.

O- This is a beast of a beer. Approach only if your ready to embrace some intense flavors. I like fresh barley wines, barrel aged barley wines and barley wines aged at least a year. I like the fresh ones because they have an intense hop profile, and aged ones because the hop profile has died and allowed the malts to take over. This beer is sort of stuck in limbo between the three, partially aged in barrels for about 5 months total. Its good now but I see it as a beer that will improve incredibly with age.

11-26-2012 23:40:41 | More by TwelveOunces
FanofHefe

4.48/5  rDev +10.6%

Bomber poured into a Duvel tulip. Clear, dark amber body with strong red tint and a one-finer tan head. The head dissipates very quickly and leaves a smattering of lacing.

More impressed by the aroma than I thought I would be. The hops definitely jump out early with a combination of citrus and light tropical notes. Solid caramel malt aroma blends with the hops nicely.

The flavor is a little stronger on the caramel malt side than the original aroma. But, enough of hop presence to make for a solid barleywine mix.

Surprisingly, very little notice of the alcohol for such a strong abv. This is one of, if not the best, barleywines I've ever had.

12-24-2012 00:17:59 | More by FanofHefe
JdoubleA

Served into a Maudite snifter

Appearance - Clear golden amber like red gold. Beautiful when lit. Small head that disapates quickly.

Smell - Boozy caramel with some oak notes.

Taste - Acohol, caramel, and Oak. Fairly straight-forward and not insanely complex. Mild bourbon and oak overtones. Becomes richer as it warms.

Mouthfeel - Slick and rich, yet thin due to the alcohol. Average carbonation tingle, appropriate to style. Coats the tongue a bit.

Overall - Glad to have it and look forward to opening up my other bottle in a few years.

10-07-2013 19:03:48 | More by JdoubleA
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

4.46/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On-tap 1/8/2013 at Track 84, in Warwick, RI served in a flight glass.

A: The beer is a deep amber color, with a short off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains brown sugar, bourbon, vanilla, caramelized malts, some alcohol and some hops.

T: The taste starts out very sweet with flavors of caramel, brown sugar, vanilla and bourbon. Then a significant alcohol stings quickly follows as you would expect from a beer with 15.00% ABV. The malt character is hearty and there’s a mild but complementary hops presence creating a very good balance for such strong and sweet beer. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Very tasty, goes down dangerously easy, not too filling, very strong kick, very good representation of style, this is an excellent sipping beer to drink for as long as you can handle it.

01-20-2013 17:31:43 | More by TheManiacalOne
champ103

4.45/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a copper/orange color. A dense, two finger white head forms with excellent retention. Rings of sticky lace is left behind. Really impressive considering the ABV.
S: Hops and malt intermingle in great balance. Tropical fruits, toffee, bread pudding. The alcohol is really well masked in the nose. Excellent.
T: Follows the nose with a great balance of hops and malts. Toasted malt, tropical fruits. Reminds me of bread pudding and toffee over fruit. Almost fruit cake like even. All the layers are there. A peppermint spiciness as well. Like peppermint candy in the finish. Love it.
M/D: Surprisingly medium body, lighter that I was expecting. Not that it is thin or watery at all, just not as resiny as I was expecting. Good carbonation and very smooth. The alcohol is incredibly well integrated, well basically nonexistent. Which make for a great warming, sipper.

Wow, I really love this. I was afraid this was going to be to messy and busy. It reminds me a bit of fruit cake, and I am one of the strange people that like fruit cake. While I can see how some people might be put off. I think it works perfectly. Highly recommended.

12-17-2012 04:42:32 | More by champ103
TheSevenDuffs

Ontario (Canada)

4.45/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured in to CBS Snifter.

A - Dark amber; slightly translucent. Half a finger of tan coloured head.

S - A big sweetness up front with caramel and toffee aromas coming through. Some citrus and a bitter hop presence also come through. No oak is detectable in the nose.

T - Big sweetness from the malt base up front that adds caramel, toffee and brown sugar flavours is balanced out by a massive hop bitterness and a touch of citrus. A warming alcohol presence also helps to balance out the massive sweetness. The oak is present but is very much secondary in this beer. Although a warming alcohol presence is noticeable, the alcohol is very well hidden overall considering the 15% ABV.

M - Full body; thick and chewy. Light carbonation. Full of sticky hop oils.

12-28-2012 14:56:29 | More by TheSevenDuffs