Founders Bolt Cutter - Founders Brewing Company

rAvg: 4
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Barleywine |  15.00% ABV

Beer added by: Thickfreakness on 11-03-2012

Bolt Cutter is a cellarable barley wine with an ABV of 15%. Dry-hopped with a mountain of Cascade hops, it’s balanced by a malty sweetness and spicy complexity, resulting from barrel aging some of it in bourbon barrels, some in maple syrup-bourbon barrels and some not at all (standard fermentation only). We’ve allowed the beer to mature in bottles and kegs since July so that it would be perfect for its release next month. Bolt Cutter pours a deep copper color and is best sampled at different temperatures to allow the flavors to unfold.
Reviews: 228 | Hads: 1,296
4.92/5  rDev +23%

pours deep orange with a very small off white head

smells is fairly hoppy for a english barleywine some amazing citrus notes with a slight sweetness.

taste like a iipa on the first sip...as it warms the malt character shines through with a slight oak taste if i didn't see 15%abv on the label i would have never guessed

mouthfeel is on the lighter side with light carbonation

overall if you are comparing this to king henry you will be very thrown off. this beer is exquisite in its own right...something completely different, awesome beer. (545 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +22%

A day to remember. Arrived to Founders on BoltCutter Release Day #1, November 11th, 2012. We made our presence known as the first in line at this ticketed event. We were greeted by a kind-spirited employee, who'se heart bears the striking resemblence of St.Nicholas on the magical eve of Christmas, suggesting we join our fellow beer brethren in the masses of the parking lot....We were obviously early. When the Clock stuck noon we were ushered in to the sound of the chicken song. As beer geeks frantically rushed to the store, our excitement reached epic proportions...would our trials and tribulations be worth the anticipation? Skip ahead to minutes later, after purchasing our bottles and appropriate bolt-cutter glasswear, we trekked across the street to experience our gift from the brewers, perhaps aj offering from the benevolent gods above. We poured the liquid gold into our glasswear. Gather round pals, for the tale of Boltcutter....

A: Pours a Bright copper red-orange, reminiscent of the rare Bengal Tiger pelt. A fluffy egg-shell white head rising from the depth of this untamed beast. Gives way to an elegant spider-web lacing (most likely resemembling the fierce Sydney Funnel-web spider (atrax robustus)

S: A bouquet of fresh Hawaiin Pineapple, Dark amber maple syrup from the majestic maples of Vermont. A slight tone of biscuit, just as grandma would prepare on our bi-weekly sunday brunch. The aroma truly fills the nares with gifts of joy and happiness.

T: Heavy Tropical Overtones with a mellow presence, giving one the feeling of an awe-inspiring autumnal sunset. The aforementioned pineapple dominates like a stallion with it's mare. As one sips the brew, the warmth of red dying coals of a huntsman midnight fire. A Floral Hop bitterness, as bitter as the loss of the beloved family ferret (RIP Gerdy).

M: Thick like a swollen Baboon rump. Creamy like fresh-churned butter as would be applied to grandma's bi-weekly biscuits. A light carbonation teases the tongue.

O: As this review comes to a close, the experience shall not be forgotten. The legend of the BoltCutter shall be passed down from generation to generation just as the stories of our time that define a people....I miss Grandma (2,224 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +20%

Super-surprised to pull this off the shelf! It's redemption for me; I left this on the shelf back before I knew what it was, and have been kicking myself ever since I found out what I passed over.
Poured into fluted snifter; deep, rich brown-ruby with a fluffy off-white head that fades quickly leaving sticky lacing everywhere.
Smells great; nutty toasted caramel malt, lighter notes of candied fruit. Barely any alcohol in the nose, the age has mellowed this well I'm sure (granted it aged on a shelf rather than a proper cellar)
Taste is perfect for a barleywine. As soon as it enters your mouth, it is everywhere. Sweet hearty nutty caramel malt, like thick sweet bread, candied fruit and warming alcohol. This beer is modest in its perfection; it does what it does well, without being over-the-top about it.
Mouthfeel is big, thick and sticky, although the finish isn't cloying
Overall, this is the best barleywine I have had to date. I'm so glad I managed to find one of these sitting on a shelf. It is perfect for the style, while also being a massive beer, while still being modest. Perfection. (1,104 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +20%

A- Small amounts of lace and deep amber, but still lighter than I expected.

S- Bourbon and Vanilla hit the nose instantly. Cinnamon, Nutmeg, even got a little Coffee and Chocolate in there somewhere. Extremely Flavorful.

T- A lot hoppier than I was expecting but what a pleasant surprise. Malt and Vanilla most prominent than the Bourbon/Boose, as it reveals its 15% ; still fantastic for an ABV that high.

M- Full bodied; Warming

O- Another fantastic brew from Founders. Might even be my 2nd favorite to date behind the CBS. Stocking up on this and plan on aging as many bottles as possible to share on special occasions for years to come.

Viva La Nemesis (661 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had a 22 oz bottle of this onsite at Al's of Hampden, graciously split with a buddy of mine. This was very good... Let it sit for another 6 months to a year or more and it'll be amazing. It's very HOT right now, especially when it warms up. this bottle is well worth the coin but my suggestion is to cellar it for a bit. (320 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +18.3%

Heard this was being released to the public today so I made a special trip to my local beer bar Mosaic in Astoria Queens to give it a try. Poured from a 750ml bottle.

For 15% this is a very approachable barley wine. A perfect amber color and inviting smell, it doesnt have the fear factor smell lots of barleys do nowadays. The mouthfeel is all about the syrup at first but then it finishes almost light on the tongue. You can taste the effort to balance it with the citrus of the hops, tons of flavor, but it's not overally boozy. I really like this beer. Founders knocked it out of the park again. It doesn't take long before I'm sharing it and the bottle is done. Can only imagine what age will do to this beer, it is already nuanced and complex, tons of malt and I'm usually not a malt loving guy. If you can, get a bottle for you and a friend, it's an awesome share. (872 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +16.8%

A - Copper reddish color witha thick light tan head that dissipates fairly quickly.

S- HOPS! and soem malt but the hop presence really stands out on this one. Not a bd thing at all but unexpected from a Barleywine

T- The Hops come through again upfront followed by some really srong pineapple and vanilla notes. Bitter finish and a bit of burn at the very end of this beer. Not overly boozy at all.

M- Good mouthfeel overall Not to thin.

O- This beer is excellent and I feel will age very well. Can'y wait to try another in 6 months or so. (546 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Been sittin' on this for a loooong time! 15th Anniversary Ale - 2012.

A: Beautiful, slightly hazy, bright rose color with shades of pink. Frothy but fairly thin/light off-white head that builds steadily and fades in a similar manner leaving behind some great lacing and retention. Simply stunning!

S: Where to begin...seriously massive malt character. Bread, sugar, booze, barrel, yeast. Aroma is intimidating but also inviting and exciting at the same time. A sign of things to come...

T: Extremely happy that I waited so long to drink this judging by what others have said. While it's still incredibly sweet, boozy, and heavy, I can only imagine how much more amplified these qualities would have been for the first several months after bottling. Having said that...the flavors are massive and truly delicious. Tons of sweet, sugary booze...woody, earthy barrel & bourbon...bready, roasted malt...sugary, dark fruits. This is a true "barleywine." Almost qualifies as a spirit.

M: Viscous with plenty of carbonation to go around. Held up very well. Such a serious beer with serious flavor. For what it is, this is amazing.

O: The definition of "treat." A very special beer. Should I feel selfish drinking the entire 750ml bottle by myself? Nah. It's my sincere hope that Founders can have another 15+ years of success! (1,324 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

750mL bottle. No bottling date but this was a late 2012 release. Served in a Founders snifter.

Pours a surprisingly clear, vibrant amber with about a one and a half finger cap of pale, sandy head. A thin film rests on the surface with a small halo that leaves just a few dots of lace.

Aromas are sweet, malty and vaguely earthy with a good deal of aged hops. Vanilla, oak, maple, caramel, faint pine, toffee, old citrus, autumn leaves and sugar. Despite the fact that hop aromas seem past their prime I keep coming back for more of the inviting sweetness.

The flavors quickly overcome any negative vibes left from the smell of fading hops. Thick, sweet caramel is the predominant taste. Earthen oak, cereal, toffee, grainy malt, mild pine, sweet maple glaze, vanilla, orange peels, brown sugar, leather, faint barrel char and just a little boozey heat. I can't detect any bourbon but the combination of malts, maple and barrel is outstanding. On top of the masterful blend of flavors the 15% abv goes down like a brew with less about half of that. Delicious.

Syrupy, heavy, full feel with moderately low carbonation. Completely coats the tongue, creating a long, sweet aftertaste that is full of maple, caramel and cereal grains.

I sat on this bottle of Bolt Cutter for over two years to let the high alcohol mellow out and I must say that my plan worked beautifully. Both hops and heat have long since faded, leaving behind a fantastically sweet and complex barleywine. Excellent work by Founders creating an enduring and evolving brew that, based on this experience, I suspect could go several more years with favorable results. (1,640 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A: A deep orange/yellow/amber color the an ivory white head that disappeared quickly.

S: Suprisingly, there was a lot of hop character present in this beer. There was subtle toffee in the background.

T: Bitter on the front end and the back end. The middle is composed of rich caramel and toffee.

M: Very heavy with great carbonation which was a pleasant surprise given that it was a 15% beer.

O: One of the best barleywines I've had. It is up there with King Henry, Mother of All Storms, and Abacus. (503 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Thought it was good fresh but 3 years later its very good. No more hop bite, delicious caramel and malt, nice thick mouth feel that coats your mouth, alcohol seems to have smoothed. I think founders knew what they were doing with this one, certainly meant to be aged. (268 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +15%

Many many thanks to my bro in law Randy for this bottle. He may not be on BA but hell he has attended an Extreme Beer Fest in the past!

Nice coppery orange in color. Great aroma of caramel and hops Like a Bigfoot on steroids if you ask me. Just a huge huge flavor!!! Hops and malt simply collide in a massive explosion of flavor!!! Caramel and treacle with a slamming hop bite. Long lingering hop bitterness. Grassy and piney to say the least-set against a backround of caremel and buttery treacle..just so well balanced for a huge beer I am highly impressed. Lip smacking, sticky mouthfeel. not a trace of alcohol here. Wow-I was really expecting a hot solvent like barleywine. Have been dying to try this and I cant get enough. I do not think I have ever seen a 15% beer so well balanced and rounded. Love it. (812 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +14.8%

Deep, hazy orange color with a thin off white head, beautiful baby lacing delicately clinging to the top edges of the snifter.

Massive aroma with a full blast of pineapple and hints of caramel and booze. Woah!

Unbelievably smooth mouth for the ABV, huge syrupy body with massive hop, fruit, caramel and bourbon flavor profiles. Dangerously drinkable.

A massive sipper with a bold, enjoyable flavor. Fantastically integrated. Everything from balance to carbonation is off the chain. Founders is known for their barrel aged specialties such as KBS, CBS, and Backwoods Bastard, and this one is right on par.

*Extra notes - Had this on tap twice as well as a bottle. I'm noticing a considerably larger alcohol dominance on the nose and tongue out of the bottle. I'm definitely going to age my second bottle to see if it tones down to taproom quality. (853 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on draft at churchkey in snifter on 5/10/14

A-Pours caramel brown with off-white head. Excellent lacing.

S-Aromas of caramel, pine, toffee.

T-Tasting notes of caramel, pine, citrus, toffee. This was outstanding where the 15.5

M-Medium body with a dry finish. Light syrupy mouthfeel. Super smooth

O-Overall this is an excellent barley wine where was the 15.5% it was the surprise beer for the night for me. (415 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +14.5%

Apparently, picked this up a couple of weeks before the actual release... lucky me! Here we go!

A- Poured at just below cellar temp into my Bruery Tulip. A gorgeous copper/amber hue that shows excellent clarity. A thick and fluffy three finger head that holds on nicely as it slowly fades leaving chunks of thick lacing all over my glass! Kinda like looking thru orange blossom honey... clear, yet thick enough to distort whatever lies behind it. Better carbonation than I would have thought.

S- WOW! Caramel candy corn, brown sugar and butter grilled pineapple, ALCOHOL, vanilla sugar, and some toasted nuts. Butterscotch, mango, papaya, marshmallow, sweet pink grapefruit with a nice sweet malt backbone. Picking up alot of hops for an English Style B.W. This has a wonderful depth, but I bet as the alcohol edge mellows in a few years, this one will really shine and become world class.

T- Maple Creme Brulee-Flambe!!! Huge alcohol as I expected from a 15% B.W. so no surprise here! Lots of grilled tropical fruit notes. Like grilling pineapple and mango with a brown sugar butter sauce! Has some little hints of nutty pancakes with light amber maple syrup, marshamallow, caramel rum syrup and freshly scraped vanilla pods. Butterscotch with a shot of dark rum may better describe this fine brew.

M- Nice and chewy like a cinnamon sticky bun with vanilla icing. Really glides down your throat, especially as it warms up. Burns like a nice scotch going down. Like liquid toffee. Carbonation really dies down and becomes thick and viscous as it comes to proper temp. Buttery and honey with a warm glow.

O- This is really fantastic and should develop and get even better with age. Sweet like honey nectar, pineapple, and vanilla caramel candy. Notes of maple syrup, vanilla, tropical fruit and butterscotch... The alcohol is really huge on this one... but that's not something I mind. Really nice on a chilly fall night. (1,938 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +13.8%

A: clear golden orange color with a slight off white 1 finger head with a god ammount of lacing and alcohol legs

S: good ammount of caramel malts and warming vanilla very sweet smelling
Slight dank hop smell no alcohol on the nose

T: vanilla and caramel with a slight hop bitterness there is a slight hint of alcohol

M: full mouthfeel very sticker and lingers for awhile

O: great beer overall asome15th anniversy beer for founders and its a shame that this beer will be brewed only once (494 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: center-pour into tulip: clear deep amber with orange highlights; slim head of tan slips away without a trace

S: chewy caramel; suggestion of candied bitter orange; warm brown sugar sweetness

T: alcohol was a little sharp up front; warming, boozy; sweet orange and coriander in a solventy pool; some malty roasted/burnt orange rind

M: at just below room temp, medium body, no real carbonation, some astringence (alcohol); slight chew up front, but then dissolves and slides quickly across the palate; boozy aftertaste - probably a good cigar beer

O: hey, look, its Founders and its a barleywine. You know you're not going to go wrong. This was an excellent barleywine, but (yes, a but) I was not stopped dead in my tracks. I've had Founders Nemesis 2010 (an American barleywine), and plenty of other b'wines - this is up there with the best barleywines, but I don't know that it clearly displaces the best of the bunch.
It is obvious that you need to buy this if you see it, and I credit those with the discipline to store this for a couple of years. It will no doubt be fantastic.

Aged really well: had one on 3/2/13 and it had already morphed into a superior beer than it started off as - more citrus notes on the tongue and nose, all the malt and hop flavors melded and mellowed; super smoothness and deliciousness. (1,326 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +12.8%

A - Solid carbonation, white head, golden copper color.

S - Mild aroma to this one. But what I do get is honey, sugar and caramel.

T - Hoppy, honey, caramel, and malty. A great mix of sweet and bitter.

M - Alcohol burn for sure on this one and well carbonated. Not thin, nor thick.

O - Extremely tasty. I love it but wouldn't go out crazy with purchasing more of this. Aging would help this brew in my mind though. (420 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I've been aging this bottle for nearly 2 years, been looking forward to this for awhile now, here we go...

Appearance - Pours about 2 fingers of rich tan orangish foam - the head literally has a creaminess in it's appearance, body is a gorgeous burnt orange amber, extremely hazy and nearly opaque, definitely has legs when swirled in a snifter, leaves rings of soft lace after each sip.

Smell - Big fresh baked fruitcake, ripe dark fruits, brown sugar, molasses, maple syrup, dark cooked toffee, vanilla caramels, and a wedge of rum cake.

Taste - I'm nearly speechless... All of the flavors mentioned above literally explode across my palate, I'll try to break this down... There is fruitcake here, with the roasted crust and sweet baked dark fruits of plum, dates, cherry, and apricots - sweetness of roasted caramels and dark toffee, maple in the nose but not so much in the mouth, and all the while there is a backbone of bourbon, oak, and dried vanilla bean - the bourbon here is so complimentary and fits so well, absolutely delicious. Long into the finish I get some light grassiness and citrus pith from the hops, definitely mellowed by the lingering oak and bourbon.

Mouthfeel - This is the higher side of medium, but not quite full, as the bourbon and oak work so well at keeping the sweetness from asserting, keeping it in check, while the oak provides a bit of dryness. Carb is definitely on the lower side, very smooth, and is perfect for keeping the very full and bold flavors balanced with the bourbon and drying oak, perfectly ushering in the muted hop nuances at the end of each sip.

Overall - You know that this is a big beer with each sip, but the flavors are so well balanced and complex. Every nuance and flavor is a complimentary part in a wonderful symphony. All of the barleywine flavors you want are here, along with the bourbon and oaky characteristics of the barrel, add in the mellowed hops and vanilla bean and you have a very special barleywine. Find one with some age, at any cost. What a wonderful treat. (2,043 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured from 750ml bottle into a snifter

A- Bright burnt orange with a small off white head that quickly dissipated. Swirling the glass you can see the alcohol of this thing as it coats the glass and lingers on the sides.

S- Giant sweet malts of toffee, not much in the way of hops.

T- Again big malts, with a noticeably high level of alcohol, still even with that the perfect malt sweetness of this thing that I love in great barleywines and old ales makes me crave more.

M-High viscosity, very smooth, not a lot of carbonation

O- I found this to be a great beer and was happy to find a local restaurant that had bottles of this. One bad thing though was I was alone and had to drink the whole bottle by myself. Needless to say by the end of my meal I had to sit in my car for a good hour before I could drive home, and the next day wasn't very fun. I've only ever gotten that drunk like 2 or 3 other times in my life and wouldn't have this time if I hadn't had to drink the whole thing. Anyway, many seem to say this beer is too hot and I had about 8 months after bottling and didn't find the alcohol to be too dominate. Definitely try this if you get the opportunity. (1,175 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Barcade BK, Founders tap night.

A - Low offwhite head with ok lace and retention. Cloudy burnt sienna, cognac body.

S - Huge apple brandy nose, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, dried apple, light caramel.

T - Soft round booze, caramel, dried apricot, vanilla extract, sharp oak, dark brown sugar. Long afterglow of warm booze caramel and nutmeg.

M - Expansive mouthfeel with a solid body. Great staying power without feeling syrupy.

O - Insanely smooth. I can't believe this is 15%; it could definitely get you into a world of trouble if you're not paying attention. A stellar barleywine. (598 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bolt Cutter opens to an intensely sweet, hoppy aroma that is instantly reminiscent of syrupy pink grapefruit juice with a dash of pine resin, lemon, and dandelion stem, and below that, a thick sugary base of Candi sugar, brown sugar, and a heaping spoonful of fruit esters, including orange, berry, and cherry, as well as light touches of fig, raisin, and plum. Smatterings of biscuit, whole wheat dough, and light toast crust add an earthy base. As a whole, the nose is very nice, geared toward the sugars as is typical in Barleywines, but nicely balanced and heavily aromatic, the interplay between brown sugar and fruit ester especially nice.

On the tongue, the beer proves darker than the sugary nose let on, the initial flavors being full of dark, rich fruits, including fig, prune, plum, black cherry, and raisin, with touches of berry and blood orange adding slightly lighter notes. These are joined by a heavy alcoholic overtone, the 15% ABV coming in strong, but blending nicely with the massive fruits in a dessert-like fashion. The combination of alcohol and fruits is reminiscent of wild ports or cognacs, with a touch of bourbon thrown in for good measure. The hops add a nice thick layer of syrupy pink grapefruit, as well as lighter lemon and faint pine notes, which help keep the sugars in check. Brown breads, yeasty rising whole wheat dough, toast crust, and biscuit form an earthy base, and the entire beverage is threaded with strong vanilla bean, and lighter caramel and toffee, with even some molasses and black pepper. The aftertaste is a continuation of the main mouthful, but here the booze becomes overly obvious, and the late stages of the aftertaste take on a vodka-like overtone that somewhat mars the presentation. Mouthfeel is a syrupy, viscous heaviness that is reminiscent of agave nectar in feel, and carbonation is light.

Overall, this is fantastic beer, and while the nose was good, the flavors are excellent, and paired with a perfect mouthfeel. Only the strong alcoholic aftertaste proves jarring; the rest of the beer is sweet, sugary heaven. (2,083 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +12%

Served into a Maudite snifter

Appearance - Clear golden amber like red gold. Beautiful when lit. Small head that disapates quickly.

Smell - Boozy caramel with some oak notes.

Taste - Acohol, caramel, and Oak. Fairly straight-forward and not insanely complex. Mild bourbon and oak overtones. Becomes richer as it warms.

Mouthfeel - Slick and rich, yet thin due to the alcohol. Average carbonation tingle, appropriate to style. Coats the tongue a bit.

Overall - Glad to have it and look forward to opening up my other bottle in a few years. (543 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +11.8%

This poured out as a reddish orange color with a thin white head on top. The head settles just leaving some scattered spots on top and some very thin lacing on the glass. The smell of the beer is potent, very big orange citrus notes here as well as some earthy hops and plenty of ethanol. The smell almost reminds me of a cleaning product of some kind but at the same time it still smells good. The taste of the beer gives of some massive malt characteristics, it's boozy and sweet, elements of caramel and apple in there some maple and some bitter hops as well. The mouthfeel of the beer is medium to heavy, it's smooth and oily, lightly carbonated. Overall it's a big beer, lots of nice things going on in this one. Might be interesting to have again someday once it's been aged for a little. This beer has a lot of complexity and is very good. Definitely worth trying. (871 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +11.8%

Bomber poured into a Duvel tulip. Clear, dark amber body with strong red tint and a one-finer tan head. The head dissipates very quickly and leaves a smattering of lacing.

More impressed by the aroma than I thought I would be. The hops definitely jump out early with a combination of citrus and light tropical notes. Solid caramel malt aroma blends with the hops nicely.

The flavor is a little stronger on the caramel malt side than the original aroma. But, enough of hop presence to make for a solid barleywine mix.

Surprisingly, very little notice of the alcohol for such a strong abv. This is one of, if not the best, barleywines I've ever had. (650 characters)

Founders Bolt Cutter from Founders Brewing Company