Founders Mango Magnifico - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Mango MagnificoFounders Mango Magnifico

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 07-19-2013

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Mango Magnifico Alström Bros
Reviews: 198 | Hads: 1,150

I think this one is getting better with age. Such a nice and warm finish. Lots of mango flavor from start to finish as well. Aged quite nicely so far.

$20. Purchased @ The Fridge. Poured in my beat up Spiegelau snifter.

A: Brilliantly clear golden fire orange with perfect white head. Just right lacing.

S: Aroma is soapy and sweet mango and full of pepper promise.

T/M: Taste is out of this world. Brown sugar sweetness coats the palate while mangoes burst and that unmistakeable habanero pepper acidity and flavor ride the currents of the expertly crafted base as they cut and linger long into the finish.

It's sweet. So sweet. And viscous. The mouthfeel is coating and thick and sweet and perfect for this beer.

The flavors are intense but never unpleasant, harsh or overpowering.

The progression reads like this: Thick sugary sweetness, blooming mango awesomeness, beautiful pepper flavor and heat.

The heavy sweetness carries the pepper and is then cut away for a most satisfying finish.

O: Not to oversell it, but this is my new favorite beer of all time. And I didn't even know it was a thing before I bought it two hours ago. Damn. I'm in love.

This was the best beer I have ever had (that was not a Stout). The Mango brought a slight sweetness while the Habanero Peppers had a great punch and offered a very spicy ending to the beer. I would love for Founders to brew this one again, or make it a yearly special.

4.88/5  rDev +32.6%

this is a surprisingly amazing brew...! I like Founders but do not LOVE them, they have some really solid beers and some that are very very good but they also have some that leave a lot to be desired.
a: had a clean filtered golden color with a half inch dissipating white foamy head
s: mostly mango aromas coming from head with a very faint spiciness but not much. not hops or other aromas really, mainly mango
t: this is sooo perfectly balanced for what it is! The mango is definatly in the forefront of this but not overpowering or sickeningly sweet or syrupy tasting by any means the habanero is in the aftertaste and becomes more apparent as you drink, balanced completely by the mango just as the mango is balance perfectly by the heat....DELISH!!!!
m: I was afraid that the carbonation was going to be higher or too high for my liking on this one but it was not, again very pleasant. The body of the beer also had a softness to it that helped out the overall roundedness.
overall: this is a gem from founders that should not be passed up if found!

4.87/5  rDev +32.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

1st off thanks my hookup at Spec’s (TOP SECRET - REDACTED) for saving me some of this very rare allotment. Great news I had 2 bottles, the bad news is I had 2 bottles, past tense; very sad.

OK, I have no cheese to go with that whine.

The initial pour is a very clear amber with a barely noticeable hint of cloudiness, about 5%. The head is relatively this with a decent bit of lacing down the sides of the glass.

The nose is a bit on the interesting side; very unique and extremely pleasant. When I say unique I do not imply something bad, I mean unique, very different; a one of a kind. Mangos and Habanero are both quite sweet and, apparently, when mixed with malt even sweeter smelling. The sweet smell really manages to mask the hops which are there, but subtle and somewhat dominated. There is also a subtle peppery spice nose.

The flavor is near outstanding, but not likely for everyone. The sweetness is stronger than I typically like, but the dryness is there too. It starts very sweet and finishes dry. There is a pinch of heat from the habanero and the mango blends surprisingly well with the malt and hops.

Bottom line this is exceptionally flavorful and delicious. The mouthfeel is great and the unexpected blends of all these atypical ingredients is masterful in their combination.

Pints high to the boys at Founders, this is a magnificent brew and a true show of exceptional talent; not to mention the courage it takes to put such a combination of ingredients together and place them out for the world to taste and review.

4.78/5  rDev +29.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

On tap at the Founders/Southern Tier Tap Takeover at Tap & Mallet.

Poured a hazy burnt orange with no head. Bubbles rising quickly from the bottom of the glass. Aroma is amazing. Sweet and spicy is the name of the game here. Honey, tropical fruits (pineapple, mango, lychee) mixed with sweetness of a pepper, then a touch of pale malts. The spice is most apparent in the finish, where the habaneros sneak up on you a couple seconds after the swallow. I know it's personal preference, but I actually would like just a tiny bit less of heat and a little bit more sweetness from the fruits. But regardless, this is a delicious beer. 10% abv? I would never have guessed. I get exactly zero alcohol when drinking this. Such a well made beer.

4.77/5  rDev +29.6%

Very tasty beverage here. Unfortunately I was only able to salvage about 2 ounces from my bottle because it shattered while being taken out of a cooler. So if I can deduct points for Founders using cheap bottles I would but what I did try was a bit of heaven. I was skeptical of it when I first heard about it, but this vastly exceeded my expectations. Definite Mango flavor with a wonderful note of spiciness that hits the back of your throat. I sincerely hope I can get my hands on another bottle of this before it's gone forever.

4.72/5  rDev +28.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

This is a great beer. I especially love it because its a beer I was able to split with the ol' lady! (I've been trying to get her into the craft beer scene) Anywhoo, the mango barely comes through on the nose and the mouthfeel is pretty basic. Where this beer stands out is in the taste. The mango is subtle and the heat creeps in, nothing dominates the palate on this beer. Too much mango or too much early heat would kill this beer yet its not too malty or too hoppy either, its just perfectly balanced. Don't get me wrong, this baby packs a punch. You'll take a few sips and think "psshh I'm such a beast! Joe schmo says its spicy and i can down this delicious mango beer like its nothin." Then before you know it WHAMMO this puppy bitch slaps you on the tongue and squeezes habanero juice down your throat. Its definitely a sipper so pace yourself, but enjoy, its a tasty one!

4.72/5  rDev +28.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I am not one for fruity beers, and although this one crowns mango as the main ingredient, its drinkability is really high. The heat from the habanero was definitely there, and it was very pleasant. It made me want to keep drinking more and more. It's a pleasant sweet, with a crisp mouthfeel, and finishes with a nice spiciness. Not enough to make your nose sweat, but real nice. I would definitely drink this again, and pair it with some fish tacos or something of the like.

4.62/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

750 ml bottle poured into a snifter.
10% ABV,

A - Tiny carbonation bubbles lazily rise through the deep golden-colored beer to it' dense off-white head. The lasting foam lathers dots of lace onto the snifter.

S - Mango Magnifico smells like summer in a glass from it's ripe mango aroma down to the smooth and sweet pilsner malts. A faint suggestion of floral hops dances in on the back end while the habanero and alcohol level remain mysteriously absent until I go in for my first sip when the heat becomes evident.

T - Smooth malt undertones are happy to play second fiddle to the lush and delectable mango fruit flavor, which tastes gloriously all-natural. Habanero punctuates the finish with a nice level of spicy heat.

M - Mango and malt sweetness and combine for a really smooth medium body that has an exceptional level of habanero heat which lingers on the tongue briefly before fading out quietly with lip-smacking dryness.

O - Founders has done it again! Mango Magnifico brilliantly combines ripe, juicy mangoes with a smooth malt backing and lingering habanero heat for an exceptional and complex beer that begs to be both sipped and reflected upon an paired with your favorite cuisine!

4.56/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The beer comes in a honey orange gold color.

The aroma is a punch of sweet, powdered sugar sweet dried mango. It's just that concentration of mango aroma, with a bit of melon, and then some hints of chili in the end. It's not spicy on the nose, but the essence of spicy is in there.

The flavor follows with that concentrated dried mango fruitiness in the front along with some juicy tropical fruits, then a bit of sweet caramel malt comes along, then there's a punch of chili spice that hints the middle to the back of the throat. A few ounces in, it starts hitting and sticking to the back of the throat, but in a good way. The spice is pretty big and surprising on this one.

There's a medium body on this, along with wheat in the flavor and body. The alcohol is hidden well.

This really a fun beer and one of the best fruit beers I've had.

4.51/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Full disclosure: I am a huge fan of Founders, but consider myself objective, and I love heat in my beer a la Mikkeller Texas Ranger, Terrapin Reunion 2011 etc.

That said I really didn't have high hope for this when it was announced more so because I not a big fan of sweet beers, and Founders does a lot right but fruit beers isn't their forte.

I was able to grab a bomber and shared it with a friend. It pours like a beer commercial. Light coloring with a nice with sudsy lace. Perfect.

The smell was surprisingly absent. I was expecting much more of a citrus mango nose and it was extremely faint. I'm not sure if I didn't know if this was a mango beer I'd be able to sort it out.

The taste is damn good. It hits you up front with a nice light mango presence, citrusy and not overly sweet. Just as the sweetness starts to kick up a little more the habenaros take over give a nice smooth burn it the back of the tongue and roof of my mouth.

The feel is great. It's a crisp beer that does not take over too much of the taste and leaves you wanting more. I thought the burn would be progressive as I kept sipping but it never built up. At times the taste of mango faded in and out and was a bit less consistent than the pepper.

Overall, there is a reason why I'm a huge fan of Founders and its not cause I want to like whatever they put out. It's cause whatever they put out is usually world class and this is another best in class beer. Great beer if you like heat, prehaps the best use of peppers in beer that I've had. It spa must have.

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

Golden orange appearance that has a thick head when poured aggressively, but dissipates leaving a thin layer. Nice and bubbly, well carbonated. Nose is sugary and sweet, almost like a mead. Taste is thick mangoes with a spicy kick in the ass at the end that lingers and builds with each sip. Alcohol seems masked beneath the habanero heat. Thick and juicy mouthfeel. Overall, great stuff, and I'm glad I got two bottles at the release. Will probably get more if I'm able to find it.

4.49/5  rDev +22%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: much lighter and clearer than I would have expected

S: mango and peppers

T: The first few sips leave you wondering when the heat is going to level off. At about the time that you begin to feel your sweat glands starting to tingle, the taste transforms into a Yin & Yang of sweet and heat. I paired this with a slice of key-lime pie after dinner. As a prior reviewer stated, this tastes more like a mead than a beer. There is essentially no noticeable trace of hops as they are overwhelmed by the fruit and heat of the pepper.

M: again, a little thinner than I expected but very nice.

O: Did not expect to finish the bottle but was able to with ease. I expect this to be a "love/hate" beer and am not surprised by the mediocre rating. I'm a HUGE fan of hot peppers and my expectations were exceeded. I can say with some degree of confidence that if you are a fan of mangos AND you are a fan of spicy food, you will thoroughly enjoy this.

4.49/5  rDev +22%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750 mL bottle originally purchased in the greater Washington D.C.area, 2013 vintage, poured into my The Bruery "Rue the Day" tulip (and wishing I was drinking a Tart of Darkness right now), drank 9/25/13 over several hours.

A: 3/3 - classic Founders...clarity predominates and totally impressive for the flavors pouring off (see below)

S: 11/12 - mango, mango, cha cha cha...sweetness like Walter Payton...

T: 17/20 - on the anterior tongue, there's a strong mango flavor - other tropical fruits also peek out; in the middle of the mouth, the flavors continue to bounce, and, towards the end, the habeneros start emerging but not overwhelming - bringin' the heat!

M: 4/5 - moderate-to-high bodied; appropriate carbonation; where's that booze for a 10%er!?!

O: 9/10 - probably the best to date in the Founders speciality series; maybe if I knock my glass slippers enough I'll wind up in Grands Rapid, MI for the NHC 2014...there's no place like home(brew)!

TOTAL = 44/50

4.48/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a nice crystal clear orange color no haze with a thin white head... Smell is faint of the mangoes and habaneros I'm sure it will come through more with a little warmth... Taste is sweet with the heat hitting the back of the tongue almost a syrupy mango taste but a nice compliment to the heat of the pepper... going to enjoy sipping on this one for a bit

4.46/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap at kickbacks in jax. Poured into a small snifter. Nice white head, moderate retention on a clear golden body. Clear lacing. Aroma includes mango, go figure, lemon, passionfruit, starfruit. Taste has a nice mellow fruity sweetness and a nice white peppery finish. Extremely unique tasting beer, quite delicious.

4.45/5  rDev +20.9%

A: A dark golden ale with good clarity. There is a long lasting off white head made of rocky bubbles that leaves some lacing on the glass.

S: Alrighty, as advertised there is a medium aroma of mango, citrus hops and moderately-light chile pepper aroma. Some of the fruit aromas bring a low green apple type aroma but it's mostly a pineapple and citrus hops aroma blending with the mango and the fruity nature of the pepper. Low malt and alcohol sweetnesses round out the nose.

T: The citrus hops flavor, hops bitterness and habanero dominate the flavor with the mango following closely behind. The chile pepper brings a lasting heat that is about even with the hops bitterness and longer lasting than the malt sweetness. There is a medium amount of malt sweetness and moderate fruit sweetness against a strong hops bitterness and medium-strong pepper heat give a balance that is fairly bitter and spicy. The finish is about medium with a linger citrus and hops bitterness and a sustained chile heat.

M: A medium to medium-full bodied beer with a medium-strong level of carbonation and a moderate alcohol warmth.

O: A bold, flavorful beer that is exceptionally well crafted with the hop fruit flavors mix well with the mango and chile fruit character. A solid Double IPA that is complimented by the addition of mango and Habanero and what I think is perfect balance of heat. You've got to at least like some heat to appreciate the balance here, so if adding a few dashes of Tabasco or Sriracha to your food on occasion isn't you're thing you may want to move along.

4.41/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750 Ml poured into a snifter

A- Pours a very clear light orange/golden color with a nice foamy white head. Nice retention and some alcohol legs.

S- Not really a strong and in your face type of nose on this beer. A subtle mango in the back end. Some peaches as well. A slight cinnamon or pepper possibly. Sweeter then I imagined it would smell. Smells somewhat like a mango pie would smell like.

T- WOW. A big spiciness on the first sip, nothing like I have ever really tasted. A hot pepper spiciness. Almost mouth watering hot spiciness. This beer is the equivalent of sweet and spicy hot wings. Beneath all of the spiciness is a rich mango flavor. A ripe mango with more of peach feel and flavor to it. A sweet and spicy(very) brew. Fruity and lively. A plain malt backbone extenuates and helps focus on the mango.

M- A full bodied beer yet easy drinking. Alcohol is well hidden and this beer goes down very smooth. The spiciness in this beer makes you want to go for another sip. Beware of this dangerous brew.

O- One of the worlds best breweries going outside the box to try something different had me worried at first especially with a few of their backstage series being laskluster. It totally paid off, this is a one of kind beer that is both delicious and exciting. This beer has the novelty factor of Pumking or something along those lines with quality in check, it will probably be a love/hate type of brew. I should warn that this beer is VERY spicy for a beer, people who do not enjoy spicy foods beware because this will numb your mouth with deliciousness. Well done Founders on reminding us that we can make up our own rules while brewing.

4.41/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured Mango Magnifico into a Belgian Tulip.

A - Pours a light golden orange with two and half fingers of white puffy head.

S - Geting light citrus notes, some sweet candied qualities. Some light roasted malt. Faint hop bitterness.

T - Wow, weird comes to mind. Kind of silly actually. Sweet mango, orange, citrus flavor. Some malt, light hops mid palate. Finally, release the heat. You can really feel the heat in this one. Very interesting. Very complex and well balanced. I can honestly say I've never had anything close to this. This experiment is freaking awesome. I'm just not sure I can drink a bomber of it.

M - Smooth beer, medium mouthfeel, with medium to low carbonation. Fine stuff here.

O - Impressive, my lips are burning. Yet another fine brew from the one and only Founders! Cheers!

4.39/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours with a beautifully clean slightly orange color. Very low head even on an aggressive pour and no head retention throughout. Average carbonation active while drinking. A very pretty brewski.

Smell: A super soft mango, peach, and orange peel front. There isn't much of the habaneros in the aroma which I found surprising. Slight alcohol presence an the back end. Definitely a bright sweet fruity aroma through and through.

Taste: A mouth watering sugary mango sweetness hits the palate right away. Really wonderfully sweet with a clear distinct mango presence which is very impressive. The fruit starts to dry out a little bit and then the habaneros hit with a mild body. The perfect accents of heat add a ton of depth to this beer. A dry burn deep in the throat is left behind.

Mouthfeel: A stunningly pronounced journey from sweet to hot. I am shocked how well the opposite feelings transition on the palate. Outstanding.

Overall: When I first heard that this was the next Backstage beer, I was intrigued but not overly thrilled. I should have never doubted Founders. This beer is 100% unique and a real treat to drink. I've never been a fan of hot peppers in a beer either but this one is done with masterful craftsmanship. Well done, Founders.

4.38/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours clear light amber in color with a big frothy white head that has decent retention.

Smell is great. Sweet fruity mango and a slight funk. I had this a lot while it was fresh and there was no funk but noir there is a slight musty aroma along with a slight sour aroma. Pepper aroma kicks in at the end and finishes.

Taste is awesome and remains the same. Sweet rich crisp mango flavors are balanced nicely with a very light pepper flavor and a big spice that stick in the back of the throat.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation and a mild sweet sticky feel.

Overall I wished I had rated this back when it first came out and I had it a bunch of times. The fruit seems to have turned a little bit however not in an off putting way,but this was awesome when it was fresh. So I'm rating it according to my memory.

4.37/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

750ml backstage release! Served into a snifter. Founders backstage beers are my favorite to get my hands on. Pours a very light crispy body capped by a fluffy white head that disappears rather fast. The nose brings notes of light tropical fruit, subtle malt flavor and some spicy peppers. This is very inviting.

The taste absolutely delivers with a lemony mango start and a hot but not overwhelming finish. The chili's certainly benefit this beer's finish. The hotness lingers and leaves you wanting more.

Mouthfeel is light and it's easy drinking. I can't detect any alcohol. Execution is a solid A on this beer, far better than Doom. Better when it's cold as the heat is more present. This would go good with some chicken breast =)

4.35/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: a deeper yellow, on the verge of orange. slight haze. a finger of an off-white head. that leaves behind a strong lacing

Smell: pure and sweet mangos. some slight pepper

Taste: starts off with some nice mango flavor very sweet and true. peppers come in at the end of the sip. very hot peppers

Mouthfeel: not an overly heavy beer. alcohol hides in the spiciness. leaves a nice little burn in the back of your throat

Overall: great fruit beer. blows away cerise and rubaeus. unlike those two this isn't a one dimensional fruit beer.

4.34/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appears a gorgeous glowing orange-gold in my Three Floyds Teku. The nose is pungent mango mixed with fumy habanero. Mouthfeel is rich and syrupy. Taste is sweet mango nectar lusciousness leading to a chili burn tingling in the throat on the finish. 10% abv is lost in the tropical flavor rush but brings a spicy buzz soon enough. Delightful.

Founders Mango Magnifico from Founders Brewing Company