Founders Mango Magnifico | Founders Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
good
good
Read the review

Founders Mango MagnificoFounders Mango Magnifico

Founders Brewing Company
Michigan, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by Jason on 07-19-2013

Reviews: 255 | Ratings: 1,378
3.99/5  rDev +9.6%

served chilled from bomber to tulip

A: a hazy marigold, small bubbly off-white head with extremely low retention (fades almost instantly) and no lacing
S: mango and malt sweetness with spicy kick.
T: juicy sweet mango and a light malt character, with a raging habanero kicker. that's it, but that's all it needs.
F: full, thick, and lush, but not syrupy. low carbonation. ample booze heat.

bottomline (aka personal opinion time):
"hint of habanero" my ass. this thing is spicy, y'all, so if you don't love "hot" just skip this one. if you love all things spicy then you'll probably dig this and won't get so overwhelmed by the hot kick that can act like a violent coup on the tastebuds to some. personally, I loved it. it sets you up with a juicy sweetness and then completely betrays that "comfort" with a full on habanero spice bomb assault. it's not complicated but it accomplishes what it was made for.

4.45/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours honey orange with a small white head.
Smell is super sweet, almost candy-like, mango with a malt in back.
Taste is sweet mango up front, malty, with some spice. Habanero spice & heat in the back nose and after the swallow.
Fairly full bodied, light-ish effervescence. Smooth. Get some.

1.81/5  rDev -50.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

Pours a hazy golden amber color with a small off-white head. Head is gone quickly and doesn't leave any lacing.

The aroma is all mango with a touch of spiciness. No complexity whatsoever but it smells like a fruit smoothie with pepper flakes. I kinda like it.

The flavor is an abomination. Finishing this beer feels like I'm doing a dare. It's cloyingly sweet with a burst of mango and pineapple juice, then comes the peppery spiciness that feels like someone poured Tabasco sauce into my juice box at recess. This is a prank. An awful prank.

The feel is thick and sticky and I honestly think I'm drinking corn syrup. I need milk after drinking this. But also something salty and bitter. I need salty milk. Wait....

Overall, this is an awful, awful beer. It's sickeningly sweet like a mango cough drop but it also has that annoying, lingering spiciness. I feel like I ate mangos dipped in sugar and then vomited into my mouth and swallowed.

1.69/5  rDev -53.6%

This is the sickly sweetest beer that I have ever tried. I have no problems with fruit or peppers added to beer, but this was like drinking Boone's Farm. After pouring a half down the drain the first day, I tried it again the next and the poured out the bottle.

More of a wine cooler than a beer.

3.71/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

April 3, 2016

750 ml bottle, tulip

A – Medium to medium-dark gold, and mostly clear. A half-inch of slightly off-white head subsides rather quickly, leaving a few bubbles around the top.

S – Absolutely mango, with a big pineapple component as well. Some spicy papaya notes skulking in the background. Crackery malt with a touch of bread crust. Very juicy, fruity.

T – A lot of tropical fruit, pineapple and mango, and a lot of fruit and malt sweetness. The malt is biscuity, light. Heat from the habanero envelops the tongue and lights the throat on the finish, not “hot” but very warm instead, quite pleasant. Builds as you drink more. Excellent use of chili peppers. Possibly some fruity alcohol esters.

M – Very juicy, thick, sweet, coating the tongue and remaining long after the swallow. Heat is a major factor here, but well-balanced from the peppers. A bit of alcohol warmth as well. Only mild bitterness, outranked by the residual sweetness.

O – Excellent use of the peppers/heat, but too sweet for my palate. A more attenuated, dry, brisk version would be excellent.

4.22/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is an unusual beer. I'm not a big mango lover and the first taste was a bit of a surprise. I wasn't too crazy about it at first but, it grew on me. My beer was very cold and the sweet taste was nice once I got used to it. Then as the beer went down, the pepper kicked in and it was a nice compliment to the sweet. A Very different beer. I went and got another one to save for another time.

2.94/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

A 2016 bomber poured out a hazy golden orange with a soapy off white head.

The smell was a barrage of tropical fruits with some white bread in the background.

The taste was a sweet chocolate mixed with a very artificial candy like sweetness of fruit mash.

Mouthfeel was medium with a very sticky finish.

This was a drain pour. Seriously if you read this review do not buy this crap! I really looked forward to this beer and I am a fan of wheats and enjoy the crap out of my wheat and chili beers. This stuff was so horribly brewed I really regret the $$11 I spent on the bottle. Me and the wife split this one and neither of us could get even half way through the 11 oz. split between the two of us. Moving on.

3.77/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Bright clear copper color. Heavy juicy, sticky jammy orange and mango marmalade aromas. Very sweet smell. Tastes like it smells; like a jammy mango chutney. Sticky heavy sweet body worth a mild underlying spicy habanero faintly present in the backbone. Spiciness lingers well after finish. Quite heavy, syrupy and flavourful. Definitely doesn't taste alcoholic for the 10% that it is.

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

750 ml bottle, 2016 version. Pours hazy golden orange with a big bubbly white head that quickly diminishes and leaves little lacing.

The aroma is sweet mango and tropical fruit with some floral vanilla coming out as it warms.

The flavor is sweet mango with some chalky vanilla malts and a big spicy chili finish with a good amount of heat. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, the mango and pepper interplay is interesting. I don't really care for the chalky vanilla.

3.39/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours a deep golden hue, decent head / retention. You certainly can't accuse this beer of not smelling of mango because it is all over the nose. To the point, where honestly, I couldn't pick up anything else. It is certainly inviting, but beguiling of the taste to follow. Upfront there is some nice golden malt & a footnote of resinous hop, and immediately a big rush of mango flavor. A lot, like beer mixed with mango fruite juice, but balanced. All of it segues into a pretty heft punch of heat from the habanero. No real pepper flavor but lots of heat, and that is what lingers on the palette. I certainly would have enjoyed the beer more without that, but it isn't so much it ruins the beer for me. I haven't had many chile / hot beers, it's certainly an interesting combo, and the beer underneath the heat is solid (though a tad cloying)

3.54/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Tasted in a 12 oz snifter from draught at Firkin on April 18, 2016. Look is bright amber with an off- white head and some spotty lacing. Smell is sweet mango, honey with some spice and sweet malt aromas. Taste is juicy sweet mangos, then some warming spice. Feel is medium in body with a smooth finish.

2.86/5  rDev -21.4%

I like the heat on the finish but there's not a good balance here. It goes from syrupy sweet to hot. Eventually the sweetness was too much for and I couldn't finish this. I generally love Founders but this was a dud

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

I enjoyed this beer immensely. The mango flavor was just outstanding, with the habanero taste just being a hint it balanced very well. It does pack a very strong punch!

4.35/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Ontap at Rattle n Hum, NYC. Great surprise. The spice in the aftertaste was both surprising & surprisingly good. Deceptive at 10%. Don't let the novelty or subtlty decieve. This is worth a try. Hope to cross paths again.

4.75/5  rDev +30.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

excellent mango beer with an amazing mango tastecouldnt ask more from a founders beer as usual founders does it again and again. worth tryiing this beer

1.96/5  rDev -46.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Wow! Where do I begin? Poured from bomber into pint glass. Cloudy orange color with moderate carbonation and about a one finger head. Fruity mango notes are evident and cover any other scents. The first sip was SWEET, like a syrup and just as you rebound from that, the habanero pepper kick in on the backside. Quite honestly the pepper cancels the sweet - there was (in my opinion) no balance here.
Could not finish this one. My first disappointment from Founders!

3.6/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a golden color with low carbonation. Aroma is sweet mango / fruit juice. Flavor is mango juice that fades into habanero heat. The juice flavor is a little in the artificial side and the heat isn't balanced enough to me. Overall this is just ok, nothing special.

1.88/5  rDev -48.4%

This beer is straight up awful. Sweet mango cough syrup. Cloying. Disgusting. Thick and syrupy. This was a drainpour for both my girlfriend and I, and she likes sweet beers. If I was made to choose to drink this or PBR for the rest of my life, it would most certainly choose PBR.

3.53/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This 750 mL bomber was given to me by a friend about a week ago (thanks, Bill!). The bottling code suggests this one is good for several more months. Taken from the fridge, allowed to stand for fifteen minutes, and poured into my nonic pint glass.

L: Pours a bright orange blossom honey color--cloudy from particulate--with about an inch of loose, large-bubbled eggshell head that dissipates fairly quickly and leaves almost no lacing on the glass. Moderate carbonation visible through the fine particles.

S: Wow--very sweet bouquet on this one...almost like sniffing a fruit pancake syrup. There are big mango notes that play over the top of much more subtle hot pepper/spice. Maybe a touch of coriander in the mix, as well. As the beer warms, I can pick out just a bit of clear alcohol.

T: The first impression is of sweet bready/caramel malts, which is accompanied almost immediately by the mango flavor, less hop-like than juice-like in character. As others have pointed out, it is quite sweet--perhaps distractingly so. Any of the hop flavor that might have shone through in the front is fairly well drown out by the presence of the habanero chile, which isn't overwhelming, by any means, but does lend a heat to the taste. The middle actually sees an increase in that mango fruit puree flavor, with the malts doing their best to keep things in balance. The close has more of that syrupy sweetness with a bit more heat bearing down on the palate. I find myself straining to pick out some of the bittering hop flavors, but its difficult in the midst of the sweet and spicy: maybe just a bit of resin/pine at the very back.

F: Medium-bodied and somewhat syrupy. Others on here have mentioned a cough medicine quality, but I'm not really getting that. It's more like the syrup that's left in the bowl when you finish that mango fruit cocktail--if you were to add hot peppers to the mix.

O: I enjoyed some of the flavors this one was able to bring, but I wouldn't go out of my way to find it again.

3.09/5  rDev -15.1%

Smells like mango juice. Very sweet.

Taste= it taste like fake mango juice for the corner store. the spiciness at the back is very welcoming.

Feels. Kinda thick syrupy feel. very sticky.

Overall, I think they could have made this beer better. I wish they would have used actual mangos and not artificial flavoring. The heat at the back of the beer is it saving grace. I think I will look for other spicy style fruit beer before I buy this again. This beer was just OK!!!!

1.79/5  rDev -50.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

I was really excited about this beer, as I love citrus/fruit, but this was honestly undrinkable. The smell was so sweet, but I was still interested. But the taste/texture.... it could have been mistaken for cough syrup. It was so thick and falsely sweet. Really, Really disappointed. I had it on draught, for $8, and had to leave the glass on the bar.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Not too sure what happened with this one. I missed it last time, but scored 3 bottles at a local Costco. I forced one down and gave the others away.
Pour: Looked good, cloudy and orange.
Smell : Sweet, a little hot spice present.
Taste : This is where it went South. Others described it like syrup, I agree but more like a cough medicine syrup. I kept sipping, waiting, sipping, hoping something better was going to happen, but it didn't. The pepper was there but not enough to hide the syrup taste. Not sure why this one came back for another round. Count is a loss and move on.

3.43/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours - Orange cloudy color with thick white bubbly head that very quickly dissipates. As I drink it there is a syrup looking film on the inside of the glass. No lacing at all.

Smell - I am getting some sweet fermented fruit some alcohol some coriander or cinnamon. Not getting much heat from the smell just really sweet.

Taste - The first thing I taste is syrupy fermented fruit the mango definitely stands out. the heat from the peppers comes in after and does stay for a bit but its not overpowering. The taste is just way too sweet.

Feel - Medium body getting the heat from the peppers it is so sweet it gives a little bad after taste.

Overall - I loved the idea of what they were trying to do it is just too syrup like and sweet.

2.8/5  rDev -23.1%

Loved the idea, but have mixed feelings about the beer.

Pours a thick, oily, orange color with little to no head retention at all.

It's aroma was very sweet with subtle fruit notes. Not much else to remark of it's aroma, it smells quite mild.

At first sip, it's blissful flavor grabbed my attention and perked my eyebrows. Lots of mango, some orange, some malt in the background, and finishes with just a touch of heat. About half-way through the 12oz pour of this from the brewery, the mango begins to dominate everything. You wonder after a moment if you're drinking pure mango puree with a drop of capsaicin extract in it.

It's not just sweet, it's insanely syrupy. The mouthfeel reminds me of heavy syrup, think a can of fruit cocktail, if you removed the fruit, that syrup that is left in the can? Now give it a strong mango flavor, and make it alcoholic. It surely could use more heat. And it would be nice if this reminded me more of beer and less of mead or alcoholic syrup.

1.15/5  rDev -68.4%

I'm thankful the bomber was only about $11 and that I intended to share it with a couple of friends. I wouldn't have wanted to take this journey solo and would have hated myself if I'd paid anymore than I did.

I'd heard how divisive this beer is but I wasn't deterred as spicy mango is up my lane. I love mango with Tapatio sauce. I love dried mango with salt and chile. Founder's seemed to be shooting for this and there were glimpses of it on the finish, but damn if I didn't have to plow through baby diaper and cotton candy to get to that spicy mango. Damn if the nose and flavor didn't almost cause some retching with that baby diaper funk. What the funk is this aroma and flavor doing in my beer?

I'd love to see someone capture mango and chile in a beer. Founder's captured more Gerber's from the butt unfortunately.

Founders Mango Magnifico from Founders Brewing Company