Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Founders Mango Magnifico | Founders Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
good
good
Read the review

Founders Mango MagnificoFounders Mango Magnifico

Founders Brewing Company
Michigan, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by Jason on 07-19-2013

Reviews: 263 | Ratings: 1,413
4.12/5  rDev +13.2%

One of the weirdest beers I've had next to ballast point's indra kunindra. Pours a golden color with one finger of white head. Smells like straight up mango candy, or some type of gummy candy. This literally tastes like mango syrup with some heat mixed in it, its over the top sweet. It's not ridiculous when it comes to the habanero taste, there is just enough to know it is there. There is also a weird generic adjunct lager taste on the aftertaste. The 10% is masked pretty well. The mouthfeel is pretty thin, it's pretty weird like syrup and the carbonation is low. For some odd reason, I enjoyed this beer. If you're a fan of those mexican mango chili lollipops then you would probably like this beer.

3.62/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Ok beer. Huge mango flavor and smell up front. The habanero kick brings up the rear and lingers. Glad I tried this but I would not get again. Just not my cup of beer.

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

A: Poured into a snifter to a clear light orange topped by a dense two finger off white head that retains well and leaves some lacing
S: Smells of mango fruitiness with just a little heat toward the back
T: Taste is a lot of mango with some habanero heat, slight bready malt as well with hints of caramel sweetness. Swallow is heat and sweet mangoes with the heat lingering after the mango fades
M: This beer is fairly thick and slightly syrupy with soft carbonation that could stand to be a bit more prominent. The finish on this one is semi dry. The sweetness tries to linger but the peppers dry things out.
O: Overall this is an interesting beer with nice flavors. I'm not a huge fan of pepper beers so this one doesn't really do it for me. As a fruit beer it's fairly solid though and the mango sweetness helps to keep the heat in check. It isn't super hot either if you fear the burn.

2.43/5  rDev -33.2%

Founder's and their obsession with sugar like beers continues with Mango Magnifico. A super sugary malt forward beverage with a "hint" of Habanero at the end.

I'll just leave out the details and be to the point. The pour has some head but it lasts about 3 seconds, leaving a golden/amber beer, pretty static looking, thick, high alcohol, you can tell this is a 10% sugar beer. Reminds me a bit of a fresher english barely win in color and body. Less floaters which is always a disappointment in this style beer but expected from a company like founders.

The nose is mangos and sugar and there might be a hint of spices but they are way back there. It's fruity and sugary as hell.

As expected a sweat as hell beer with a burn at the back of the throat. I think "hint" was comically under done here. My throat as a burn at each drink. Not it isn't unpleasant per say and I'm not a huge fan of heat so I'm perhaps on the sensitive side, but this is a bit more than a hint. It's good solid dash and very noticeable. if you like spice I'm not sure this is going to get you to a happy place, but if you don't, be aware it isn't lacking a kick. Honestly, there's not much going on here otherwise. I can't taste much after the heat turns on. The opening is pretty boring.

The beer is more drinkable than perhaps expected on a body/mouth feel stand point.

So I'm not sure who this beer is for. If you like mango flavor and some spice this might be for you. If you are ok with either but not a fan per say I'd avoid. This is a pass for me going forward. It wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. The spice works as a nice balance in a way, but net net this is going to be a beer enjoyed by a very specific group of people. Most are going to be indifferent or dislike it.

4.07/5  rDev +11.8%

The label of this bomber had nice artwork of tropical dancers, making this look exotic. Unlike the label, the beer itself looked like a normal IPA, with a clear amber body tinged with slight hints of peach coloration, a one finger thick head, and an active stream fine bubbles. The aroma contained the magnificent smell of ripe mango, a fruit that I grew loving since my childhood in India. Other than mangoes, there were hints of hops coming through upon deeper inhalation. The taste was very sweet upon first sip, with a strong burn from the Habanero following immediately. Unlike most Founders beers I have had, the hops were plating second fiddle here. I suspect many will find this beer too sweet and too dominated by the additives, but I like the spicy sweet combination of the ingredients. The finish was very warm as a result of both the peppers and the high alcohol content. A bruiser of a beer, so be ready to sip slowly.

4.1/5  rDev +12.6%

750 mL bottle poured into belgian ale glass.

L: Very deep old-time traffic light amber. Slightly hazy, but you can see carbonation bubbles. 2F+ soapy head with some retention, no lacing, leaves a little ring.

S: Mango dominates, along with some citrus and strawberry. Hint and fortunately only a hint, of habanero comes in at end.

T: Wow...some real flavor here. Very sweet, ripe tropical fruit with mango and guava up front, strawberry, lemon peel and light malt. Then the habanero heat comes in, but it is not overwhelming and cuts the sweetness pretty nicely. Kind of like a hot mango salsa.

F: Medium bodied, light to medium carbonation. Decent balance, especially compared to something like Ballast Point Habanero Sculpin.

O: If you don't like moderate heat, you won't like this, but if you do, I think it's reasonably constructed. The other problem for some might be the cloying sweetness prior to the heat. I think it's a good example of the style, if you like the style.

3.52/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 22-oz bottle into stemless wine glass. Hazy amber in appearance, pure white head that dissipates quickly into a thin ring. No lacing. Fruity aroma that reminds me of the bubblegum I used to get for Halloween when I was a kid. This carries to the palate, with some pleasant heat from the habañeros. Sweet and malty, but fruit is front and center. Alcohol is well hidden. Pretty good if you like chili and fruit beers.

3.01/5  rDev -17.3%

This has to be the most difficult beer to rate. The smell is really pleasant and there is no mistaking the mango. The taste, at first sip is also of a very sweet mango liquor, but then you get hit by the overly hot habanero burn on the roof of your mouth.
I love a little heat in my food, but drinking this beer was not enjoyable and I had to pour out all but three sips.

3.99/5  rDev +9.6%

served chilled from bomber to tulip

A: a hazy marigold, small bubbly off-white head with extremely low retention (fades almost instantly) and no lacing
S: mango and malt sweetness with spicy kick.
T: juicy sweet mango and a light malt character, with a raging habanero kicker. that's it, but that's all it needs.
F: full, thick, and lush, but not syrupy. low carbonation. ample booze heat.

bottomline (aka personal opinion time):
"hint of habanero" my ass. this thing is spicy, y'all, so if you don't love "hot" just skip this one. if you love all things spicy then you'll probably dig this and won't get so overwhelmed by the hot kick that can act like a violent coup on the tastebuds to some. personally, I loved it. it sets you up with a juicy sweetness and then completely betrays that "comfort" with a full on habanero spice bomb assault. it's not complicated but it accomplishes what it was made for.

4.45/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours honey orange with a small white head.
Smell is super sweet, almost candy-like, mango with a malt in back.
Taste is sweet mango up front, malty, with some spice. Habanero spice & heat in the back nose and after the swallow.
Fairly full bodied, light-ish effervescence. Smooth. Get some.

1.58/5  rDev -56.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Pours a hazy golden amber color with a small off-white head. Head is gone quickly and doesn't leave any lacing.

The aroma is all mango with a touch of spiciness. No complexity whatsoever and it smells like a fruit smoothie with pepper flakes.

The flavor is an abomination. Finishing this beer feels like I'm doing a dare. It's cloyingly sweet with a burst of mango and pineapple juice, then comes the peppery spiciness that feels like someone poured Tabasco sauce into my juice box at recess. This is a prank. An awful prank.

The feel is thick and sticky and I honestly think I'm drinking corn syrup. I need milk after drinking this. But also something salty and bitter. I need salty milk. Wait....

Overall, this is an awful, awful beer. It's sickeningly sweet like a mango cough drop but it also has that annoying, lingering spiciness. I feel like I ate mangos dipped in sugar and then vomited into my mouth and swallowed.

1.69/5  rDev -53.6%

This is the sickly sweetest beer that I have ever tried. I have no problems with fruit or peppers added to beer, but this was like drinking Boone's Farm. After pouring a half down the drain the first day, I tried it again the next and the poured out the bottle.

More of a wine cooler than a beer.

3.71/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

April 3, 2016

750 ml bottle, tulip

A – Medium to medium-dark gold, and mostly clear. A half-inch of slightly off-white head subsides rather quickly, leaving a few bubbles around the top.

S – Absolutely mango, with a big pineapple component as well. Some spicy papaya notes skulking in the background. Crackery malt with a touch of bread crust. Very juicy, fruity.

T – A lot of tropical fruit, pineapple and mango, and a lot of fruit and malt sweetness. The malt is biscuity, light. Heat from the habanero envelops the tongue and lights the throat on the finish, not “hot” but very warm instead, quite pleasant. Builds as you drink more. Excellent use of chili peppers. Possibly some fruity alcohol esters.

M – Very juicy, thick, sweet, coating the tongue and remaining long after the swallow. Heat is a major factor here, but well-balanced from the peppers. A bit of alcohol warmth as well. Only mild bitterness, outranked by the residual sweetness.

O – Excellent use of the peppers/heat, but too sweet for my palate. A more attenuated, dry, brisk version would be excellent.

4.22/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is an unusual beer. I'm not a big mango lover and the first taste was a bit of a surprise. I wasn't too crazy about it at first but, it grew on me. My beer was very cold and the sweet taste was nice once I got used to it. Then as the beer went down, the pepper kicked in and it was a nice compliment to the sweet. A Very different beer. I went and got another one to save for another time.

2.94/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

A 2016 bomber poured out a hazy golden orange with a soapy off white head.

The smell was a barrage of tropical fruits with some white bread in the background.

The taste was a sweet chocolate mixed with a very artificial candy like sweetness of fruit mash.

Mouthfeel was medium with a very sticky finish.

This was a drain pour. Seriously if you read this review do not buy this crap! I really looked forward to this beer and I am a fan of wheats and enjoy the crap out of my wheat and chili beers. This stuff was so horribly brewed I really regret the $$11 I spent on the bottle. Me and the wife split this one and neither of us could get even half way through the 11 oz. split between the two of us. Moving on.

3.77/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Bright clear copper color. Heavy juicy, sticky jammy orange and mango marmalade aromas. Very sweet smell. Tastes like it smells; like a jammy mango chutney. Sticky heavy sweet body worth a mild underlying spicy habanero faintly present in the backbone. Spiciness lingers well after finish. Quite heavy, syrupy and flavourful. Definitely doesn't taste alcoholic for the 10% that it is.

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

750 ml bottle, 2016 version. Pours hazy golden orange with a big bubbly white head that quickly diminishes and leaves little lacing.

The aroma is sweet mango and tropical fruit with some floral vanilla coming out as it warms.

The flavor is sweet mango with some chalky vanilla malts and a big spicy chili finish with a good amount of heat. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, the mango and pepper interplay is interesting. I don't really care for the chalky vanilla.

3.39/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours a deep golden hue, decent head / retention. You certainly can't accuse this beer of not smelling of mango because it is all over the nose. To the point, where honestly, I couldn't pick up anything else. It is certainly inviting, but beguiling of the taste to follow. Upfront there is some nice golden malt & a footnote of resinous hop, and immediately a big rush of mango flavor. A lot, like beer mixed with mango fruite juice, but balanced. All of it segues into a pretty heft punch of heat from the habanero. No real pepper flavor but lots of heat, and that is what lingers on the palette. I certainly would have enjoyed the beer more without that, but it isn't so much it ruins the beer for me. I haven't had many chile / hot beers, it's certainly an interesting combo, and the beer underneath the heat is solid (though a tad cloying)

3.54/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Tasted in a 12 oz snifter from draught at Firkin on April 18, 2016. Look is bright amber with an off- white head and some spotty lacing. Smell is sweet mango, honey with some spice and sweet malt aromas. Taste is juicy sweet mangos, then some warming spice. Feel is medium in body with a smooth finish.

2.86/5  rDev -21.4%

I like the heat on the finish but there's not a good balance here. It goes from syrupy sweet to hot. Eventually the sweetness was too much for and I couldn't finish this. I generally love Founders but this was a dud

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

I enjoyed this beer immensely. The mango flavor was just outstanding, with the habanero taste just being a hint it balanced very well. It does pack a very strong punch!

4.35/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Ontap at Rattle n Hum, NYC. Great surprise. The spice in the aftertaste was both surprising & surprisingly good. Deceptive at 10%. Don't let the novelty or subtlty decieve. This is worth a try. Hope to cross paths again.

4.75/5  rDev +30.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

excellent mango beer with an amazing mango tastecouldnt ask more from a founders beer as usual founders does it again and again. worth tryiing this beer

1.96/5  rDev -46.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Wow! Where do I begin? Poured from bomber into pint glass. Cloudy orange color with moderate carbonation and about a one finger head. Fruity mango notes are evident and cover any other scents. The first sip was SWEET, like a syrup and just as you rebound from that, the habanero pepper kick in on the backside. Quite honestly the pepper cancels the sweet - there was (in my opinion) no balance here.
Could not finish this one. My first disappointment from Founders!

3.6/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a golden color with low carbonation. Aroma is sweet mango / fruit juice. Flavor is mango juice that fades into habanero heat. The juice flavor is a little in the artificial side and the heat isn't balanced enough to me. Overall this is just ok, nothing special.

Founders Mango Magnifico from Founders Brewing Company