Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Founders Mango Magnifico | Founders Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
good
good
Read the review

Founders Mango MagnificoFounders Mango Magnifico

Founders Brewing Company
Michigan, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by Jason on 07-19-2013

Reviews: 265 | Ratings: 1,422
1.96/5  rDev -46.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Wow! Where do I begin? Poured from bomber into pint glass. Cloudy orange color with moderate carbonation and about a one finger head. Fruity mango notes are evident and cover any other scents. The first sip was SWEET, like a syrup and just as you rebound from that, the habanero pepper kick in on the backside. Quite honestly the pepper cancels the sweet - there was (in my opinion) no balance here.
Could not finish this one. My first disappointment from Founders!

3.6/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a golden color with low carbonation. Aroma is sweet mango / fruit juice. Flavor is mango juice that fades into habanero heat. The juice flavor is a little in the artificial side and the heat isn't balanced enough to me. Overall this is just ok, nothing special.

1.88/5  rDev -48.4%

This beer is straight up awful. Sweet mango cough syrup. Cloying. Disgusting. Thick and syrupy. This was a drainpour for both my girlfriend and I, and she likes sweet beers. If I was made to choose to drink this or PBR for the rest of my life, it would most certainly choose PBR.

3.53/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This 750 mL bomber was given to me by a friend about a week ago (thanks, Bill!). The bottling code suggests this one is good for several more months. Taken from the fridge, allowed to stand for fifteen minutes, and poured into my nonic pint glass.

L: Pours a bright orange blossom honey color--cloudy from particulate--with about an inch of loose, large-bubbled eggshell head that dissipates fairly quickly and leaves almost no lacing on the glass. Moderate carbonation visible through the fine particles.

S: Wow--very sweet bouquet on this one...almost like sniffing a fruit pancake syrup. There are big mango notes that play over the top of much more subtle hot pepper/spice. Maybe a touch of coriander in the mix, as well. As the beer warms, I can pick out just a bit of clear alcohol.

T: The first impression is of sweet bready/caramel malts, which is accompanied almost immediately by the mango flavor, less hop-like than juice-like in character. As others have pointed out, it is quite sweet--perhaps distractingly so. Any of the hop flavor that might have shone through in the front is fairly well drown out by the presence of the habanero chile, which isn't overwhelming, by any means, but does lend a heat to the taste. The middle actually sees an increase in that mango fruit puree flavor, with the malts doing their best to keep things in balance. The close has more of that syrupy sweetness with a bit more heat bearing down on the palate. I find myself straining to pick out some of the bittering hop flavors, but its difficult in the midst of the sweet and spicy: maybe just a bit of resin/pine at the very back.

F: Medium-bodied and somewhat syrupy. Others on here have mentioned a cough medicine quality, but I'm not really getting that. It's more like the syrup that's left in the bowl when you finish that mango fruit cocktail--if you were to add hot peppers to the mix.

O: I enjoyed some of the flavors this one was able to bring, but I wouldn't go out of my way to find it again.

3.09/5  rDev -15.1%

Smells like mango juice. Very sweet.

Taste= it taste like fake mango juice for the corner store. the spiciness at the back is very welcoming.

Feels. Kinda thick syrupy feel. very sticky.

Overall, I think they could have made this beer better. I wish they would have used actual mangos and not artificial flavoring. The heat at the back of the beer is it saving grace. I think I will look for other spicy style fruit beer before I buy this again. This beer was just OK!!!!

1.79/5  rDev -50.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

I was really excited about this beer, as I love citrus/fruit, but this was honestly undrinkable. The smell was so sweet, but I was still interested. But the taste/texture.... it could have been mistaken for cough syrup. It was so thick and falsely sweet. Really, Really disappointed. I had it on draught, for $8, and had to leave the glass on the bar.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Not too sure what happened with this one. I missed it last time, but scored 3 bottles at a local Costco. I forced one down and gave the others away.
Pour: Looked good, cloudy and orange.
Smell : Sweet, a little hot spice present.
Taste : This is where it went South. Others described it like syrup, I agree but more like a cough medicine syrup. I kept sipping, waiting, sipping, hoping something better was going to happen, but it didn't. The pepper was there but not enough to hide the syrup taste. Not sure why this one came back for another round. Count is a loss and move on.

3.43/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours - Orange cloudy color with thick white bubbly head that very quickly dissipates. As I drink it there is a syrup looking film on the inside of the glass. No lacing at all.

Smell - I am getting some sweet fermented fruit some alcohol some coriander or cinnamon. Not getting much heat from the smell just really sweet.

Taste - The first thing I taste is syrupy fermented fruit the mango definitely stands out. the heat from the peppers comes in after and does stay for a bit but its not overpowering. The taste is just way too sweet.

Feel - Medium body getting the heat from the peppers it is so sweet it gives a little bad after taste.

Overall - I loved the idea of what they were trying to do it is just too syrup like and sweet.

2.8/5  rDev -23.1%

Loved the idea, but have mixed feelings about the beer.

Pours a thick, oily, orange color with little to no head retention at all.

It's aroma was very sweet with subtle fruit notes. Not much else to remark of it's aroma, it smells quite mild.

At first sip, it's blissful flavor grabbed my attention and perked my eyebrows. Lots of mango, some orange, some malt in the background, and finishes with just a touch of heat. About half-way through the 12oz pour of this from the brewery, the mango begins to dominate everything. You wonder after a moment if you're drinking pure mango puree with a drop of capsaicin extract in it.

It's not just sweet, it's insanely syrupy. The mouthfeel reminds me of heavy syrup, think a can of fruit cocktail, if you removed the fruit, that syrup that is left in the can? Now give it a strong mango flavor, and make it alcoholic. It surely could use more heat. And it would be nice if this reminded me more of beer and less of mead or alcoholic syrup.

1.15/5  rDev -68.4%

I'm thankful the bomber was only about $11 and that I intended to share it with a couple of friends. I wouldn't have wanted to take this journey solo and would have hated myself if I'd paid anymore than I did.

I'd heard how divisive this beer is but I wasn't deterred as spicy mango is up my lane. I love mango with Tapatio sauce. I love dried mango with salt and chile. Founder's seemed to be shooting for this and there were glimpses of it on the finish, but damn if I didn't have to plow through baby diaper and cotton candy to get to that spicy mango. Damn if the nose and flavor didn't almost cause some retching with that baby diaper funk. What the funk is this aroma and flavor doing in my beer?

I'd love to see someone capture mango and chile in a beer. Founder's captured more Gerber's from the butt unfortunately.

2.3/5  rDev -36.8%

Cloyingly sweet. The mango fruit comes across as artificial, leaving the impression of cough syrup. The habanero is the Saving Grace of this beer, with a subtle heat at the finish that is nice, but not quite assertive enough to really redeem this beer.

The 10℅ abv is well hidden, but at the cost of creating a beer that is one part Robitussin, one part college cocktail. A great idea gone horribly wrong.

3.75/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

reviewing this one after the fact. the general idea was that i loved everything about it except for that it was super cloyingly sweet. fantastic balance of hops, mango and habanero... but, after the first sip, you know it will be a tough glass to finish because of how syrupy sweet it is. if the sweetness could be greatly cut down, this would be a fantastic brew.

3.79/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

$11 bomber poured into an oversized Perfect Pint glass.

This beer has the most unusual head I've ever seen on a beer -- seriously the definition of soapy. Huge transparent bubbles that don't look beer-y at all. The color is a clear burnt orange, and there appears to be a lot of carbonation. I like the color, but damn, that head looks strange. The smell is sweet mango and malts. Very sweet. Almost cloying on the nose. Not a ton going on outside of the mango and malts, but it's certainly nice.

The taste is where I'm feeling a bit... well...bummed. On one hand I think Founders nailed what they were going for in this beer, but on the other -- the one with the beer in it -- I find it to be too sweet. The huge mango flavor is over-ridden only by the strong, strong sweetness. The heat on the end is just about perfect, though I can see why many could find it too hot. Considering the sweetness, I think it couldn't be a better amount of warmth.

The flavor is all-around perfumey mango and sweet -- presumably -- crystal and caramel malts, with only a modest peppery flavor. I think roasting the habaneros before putting them in this beer would make for a more interesting and balanced brew, but I could be wrong.

This is a beer that I think absolutely needs to be split. You can try going through a bomber yourself (like I am), but you may very well regret that decision half way through, since the sweetness pretty quickly becomes excessive. This is a very interesting beer that I certainly enjoy, but I'd prefer a bit of a recipe tweak. A lot of people think the beer's more hot than it is sweet, but I think just the opposite. I definitely appreciate this beer for what it is, but yeah... needs a little work, for me.

Now, if my damn baseball draft would be over already.

3.04/5  rDev -16.5%

Deep gold with bits floating around in it. An off white head fades and leaves little lacing. Smells like mango and habanero along with a malty sweetness. The combination is odd and not exactly enticing. This beer is sickeningly sweet with a syrupy mouthfeel. The taste is mango but is followed by a slight burn. This just isn't an appealing beer. I will steer clear of this in the future.

2.36/5  rDev -35.2%

Very disappointing beer for me. I did not finish my half of the bomber nor did my wife. To me, this was way too sweet. I enjoyed the little bit of heat, but it did not even come close to offsetting the sweetness. I typically love Founders beers, so I was very surprised to be this disappointed. If you are looking for an extremely sweet beer with a little bit of heat, this is your beer. Be forewarned about how sweet it is.

4.06/5  rDev +11.5%

$11.99 at Beverage co for a 22oz bottle. Pours out to a slightly hazy burnt orange, forming a modest soapy head with OK retention and soapy lacing. Carbonation is moderate brisk, ~2.75-3 carbs or so. The nose opens with fruity peach and apricot, and I actually don't pick up any mango. No hop nose. Clean ferment profile. Mouthfeel is sticky and syrupy with a dense cloying body. The taste open with the peach and mango, and then is followed by a subtle warming heat in the back of the throat with a clear candi syrup, guava/apricot nectar note. No dark fruit notes Bitterness is minimal, very very subtle. No hop flavor, no hot fusels. Cloying, syrupy finish.

Overall, a very rich and sweet beer, so one 22oz bottle is plenty for 2 people. Interesting, and brewed with skill. A beer of this character can easily be showered with flaws, and other than the inherit sticky sweetness intended to compliment the fruit, there are none, so kudos to founders. Definitely worth a try, but I wouldn't buy another bottle.

2.77/5  rDev -23.9%

Taster on tap. Smells like fun fruit. Tastes like horrible perfume overload. Maybe some spice. 2 oz was more than enough. I'm glad I didn't grab a bomber at retail when I saw it a week before. They really push the envelope on these experimental beers at Founders. And often not in a good way (looking at you, Blushing Monk). Please taste before investing.

3.65/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Not much carbonation but it gives you a hefty dose of mango and sweetness then the habenero kicks in and does a little number on the back of your throat. Cool to try but probably won't buy again. Up the carb and tone down the sweet and heat a notch or two.

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750 ml bottle - Bottled in 2016:

Pours hazed golden with a thin head that becomes wispy. Spotted lacing sticks.

The smell is of fresh mango, some grain, some habanero.

The taste is of sweet mango and grainy malt. A sharp bite from the habanero gives it a spicy dryness in the finish. Some alcohol shows, but not in a raw way.

It just about hits medium-bodied.

Mango and habanero really stand out. Mango then habanero with some alcohol sums it up.

2.88/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2.75

Bottle:
Ok, I gave this a few chances, as I like the heat, and the play of the heat against the sweet. However, I did decide the sweet was too much up front, such that it never came to be balanced by the very light bitterness I did get. In fact, this barely perceptible sweet countering agent (it could be a vegetal pepper note even) itself is strange.

The pepper heat is maybe a little strong, and it might be worse against a more conventional beer. It does add excitement to the feel that is otherwise fine on its own.

So, a tad syrupy in smell and taste, but thankfully not as much in feel. I guess maybe it wouldn't be as much of a novelty if it were a more moderate fruit and pepper spice beer, but I personally might enjoy it more.

1.89/5  rDev -48.1%

I'm not sure why this rates so high. Friend of mine and I both agree that it tastes like cough medicine with a little heat. Worst beer from Founders I've ever had. I actually would rather have a glass of NyQuil at least I'd prevent a cold.

4.46/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

look: Clear golden, loads of rising bubbles. Fill white head on the pour that mostly recedes but leaves messy lacing.
smell: Wow...i expected mediocre or bad based on all the hate this guy has gotten. Instead a very unique imo sweet, bright tropical fruit nose.
taste: As good as the nose, maybe better with the slight habanero heat in the finish. Not a lot going on...it's a Tropical fruit brew with a pinch of habanero but it's unique and tasty as all hell imo.

3.77/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Description: Light, apple juice color and somewhat cloudy due to fine bits of sediment. Not much in the way of head of lacing. The aroma is strong and sweet. Lots of fruit and I think it was more peach than mango but it's not like I go around smelling a lot of mangoes. Like the the smell, the taste is overwhelmingly sweet and fruity. The habanero is definitely there and noticeable on the finish, with some heat left on the back on the palate and throat. Mouthfeel is smooth with low carbonation and a thick but not quite syrupy consistency.

Suggested food pairing: Vanilla ice cream

If you like this beer then you should also try: Faygo Red Pop

Overall: 3.75 (This beer is good but I would not likely drink it again) This is kind of a wild one and don't really know what other beers I would compare it to; it almost didn't seem like beer. I shared a bomber of it with friends and I don't think I could have finished it on my own. Super sweet - almost too sweet - it's not something I could drink regularly or in large quantities. This would probably function best as a dessert beer in about a 5-6 oz. pour. That being said, the flavors were bold and in your face. The heat wasn't too hot and the balance was nice. Like a lot of Founders beers this one at least pushes the envelope which you have to appreciate.

4.19/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

Clear golden beer with a tight head. Smell is sweet and peppery. The taste is perfect for what they are going for, a sweet mango note and a dry heat note of pepper on the finish, some heat but not over the top. The beer itself is a little too boozy sweet and syrupy but the flavor more then makes up for it.

4.33/5  rDev +19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

03/20/2016
On tap at blend. I'll add more commentary when i crack the bottle i have open....but this was excellent. Just the right amount of heat.

Founders Mango Magnifico from Founders Brewing Company