Founders Mango Magnifico - Founders Brewing Company

good

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 07-19-2013

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Mango Magnifico Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,147 | Reviews: 201
3.73/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Another thank you to Steasy66!

Appearance. Pours a fairly clear gold with a finger of white head.

Smell. Ripe mango, spicy peppers, light malts and a little yeast.

Taste. Sweet (like sugar added sweet) mango and other tropical fruits ...pineapple mainly, spicy habaneros, a little smooth light malt.

Mouthfeel. Full body, fairly sticky. Low+ carbonation.

Overall. I was warned it might be a task to drink this whole thing solo. First glass went down well, but I'm thinking the second will be a slow go. Good stuff and different (which I like).

3.54/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Acquired at me local HEB Grocery. 10% ABV confirmed per the label. "Mango ale brewed with a hint of habanero." 750ml brown glass bottle with stylized label art and a black branded pry-off pressure cap served into an Independence Brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Expectations are quite high given the brewery, which makes some beers I love. Reviewed live. Reviewed as a fruit beer because it identifies as such on Founders' website:

Served cold, straight from me fridge, and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a one finger wide head of white colour. Fluffy. Okay creaminess and thickness. Decent frothiness. Light lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Head retention is good for the ABV - about 4 minutes.

Body colour is a clear pilsner yellow of average vibrance. I didn't expect that colour from a fruit beer; it's weird to see the appearance and think that it's a 10% beer because I'm so conditioned to associating this colour with low-average ABV beers. Transparent; translucent. No yeast particles are visible.

Overall it's generally appealing but not unique or special. I'm looking forward to trying it. Has no obvious flaws.

Sm: Mango fruit; it seems authentic, not artificial as if from extract or syrup. Pilsner malts. Light honey. Refreshing tropical fruit burst. A hint of vague pepper; I couldn't identify it as habanero blind. Munich malts. Clean barley. Complementary floral hops.

A pleasant subdued aroma of mild strength. I find it a bit mouthwatering. Looking forward to trying it.

No yeast character or alcohol is detectable. I don't detect any off-notes.

T: True to its epithet, it's got plenty of refreshing mango fruit - which primarily occupies the open through the second act. Hints of habanero hit on the climax and linger through the finish and into the aftertaste, but the heat is never overwhelming or unwelcome, nor does it limit drinkability. Pilsner malts, munich malts, and light nectary hops fill out the rest of the flavour profile for the most part, though I do get some juicy watermelon up front as well. It's a nice pairing of refreshing fruit with spicy peppery heat, and the execution is good. It's balanced, both in terms of flavour and structurally. Though the heat of the habanero is far more intense than the mild fruit up front, the former never overwhelms the latter. The candi sugar in the body lends a sweetness that tames the heat. On some sips, I don't even notice the heat until the aftertaste hits. Impressively balanced, indeed.

Like most beers out there, it could use more complexity and subtlety. This is hardly a subtle beer, but rarely are chili peppers used with nuance. For the premise of the beer, I think Founders does well here, but there's room for improvement.

Intensity of flavour is well above average, as is duration of flavour - both due to the habanero. Depth of flavour is average for the style, though I do want to point out that Founders does a magnificent job of delivering the mango flavour; I can't imagine how difficult that'd be with actual mango fruit.

I could use more of a hop presence, as well as a bit more flavour in the second act. I like the beer overall.

No alcohol or yeast character comes through. At 10%, that's pretty impressive. Watch out, lads, this'n will hit hard if you don't mind your consumption.

Mf: Smooth and wet. I'm hesitant to call it refreshing, but it certainly is up front - just less so once the habanero hits. Well-carbonated. Not as crisp as I'd like. Good presence on the palate. Full-bodied. Good thickness. Complements the flavour profile well, mostly by staying out of the way and letting the flavours do the talking.

Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, or harsh.

Dr: It's difficult to say whether this is a true "fruit beer" (if that's even a style) or a chili beer, but that difficulty is a testament to its quality; it hybridizes the two styles seamlessly. I think the chili heat is just about right, but I'd like to see them bring up the mango just a bit more. It's very drinkable for the ABV - which is quite sneakily concealed; I'd even say dangerously so. I certainly wouldn't want to drink two in the same night, and I think Founders is right to recommend that each bottle be shared. That said, I'll enjoy killing this bottle alone tonight, but I'm betting it'll be an inadvertent nightcap.

Overall, it delivers on the premise - there's plenty of mango and habanero here - as well as on the level of quality I've come to expect from Founders. A dangerously drinkable fruit/chili beer hybrid from one of the best breweries on this continent. Certainly worth trying. I'd recommend it to friends and trade partners.

Low B

4.17/5  rDev +15.2%

Was lucky enough to snag a bottle of this after my favorite local bottle shop ran out immediately and another got it in stock a few days later.

Split it with a friend and was wishing I hadn't haha. Certainly not the best beer I've ever had but a totally unique drinking experience.

In the smell I got mostly habanero, you can feel the heat in your nose.
The taste starts with the sweetness of the mango and ends with the heat of the habanero. Have had a few pepper beers before but not as balanced as this or one that leaves the heat lingering in your mouth as much as this.

Another great one from Founders (really not sure why so many people are hating on it, maybe they didn't read the label before they bought it?), hope they bring it back at some point in the future. Now can we get CBS this year as a backstage release? Please?

2.81/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Pours a pale gold, it's a shade darker than a macro lager. The beer is crystal clear with a very quickly fading white head. Little lacing. Aroma is sweet mango with a faint hint of spicy pepper. The palate, much like the nose, is mango. The heat comes in the middle notes, and it is spicy! Mouthfeel is slick, with medium body and light carbonation. Overall, it's not an overly complex beer, and the mango sweetness fatigues the palate pretty quickly, but the spicy habanero does an OK job of balancing it somewhat.

1.55/5  rDev -57.2%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.75

I love everything from Founders. At least I did until I tried this. Interesting concept but poor execution. I didn't mind the heat it was the off taste and horrible mouthfeel that bugged me. Left my mouth feeling sticky. Heat felt artificial not warming. Worst beer I have tasted in years. Drain poured half of it.

4.1/5  rDev +13.3%

Released a month or two back.

A: Pours a clear reddish-amber. Big frothy white head. Head fades slowly, surprisingly good retention. Nice fluffy tufts of lacing too.

S: Sweet mango and a surprising amount of habanero - both in vegetal sense and the heat sense. Bottle states just a "hint" but it's certainly a big part of the aroma.

T: Oh yeah. Loaded with sweet mango. From start to finish but mainly up front. Surprising habanero, mild vegetal aspect that is mostly overpowered by the mango. But quite a bit of heat starting in the middle and building to the finish and into the aftertaste. Grainy bread in there but mostly covered up. Mild vegetal habanero hiding in the aftertaste as well, it's at its strongest here (or maybe the mango is at its weakest). Get almost a big of melon in the aftertaste too. Belly warming, both from the alcohol and the heat.

M: Medium-heavy, sweet and burning!

O: Wow, the scores kinda scared me but this is delicious. It's exactly what it says it is. Lots of sweet mango, balanced by lots of habanero heat. Sure it's not much of a purist beer but it is very tasty, very sweet and very spicy. Flavors balance each other out nicely. Surprisingly good heat since most pepper beers are either ridiculous and over the top or have almost no heat at all. This is a great middle ground. I really enjoyed it.

3.77/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from the bottle into a Brooklyn brewery snifter on 9/21/2013

A - Dark gold in color with a 2cm head that quickly dissipates as expected with a higher ABV beer. The bubbles are small and continuously rising to sustain a later of foam that keeps the top of the beer just covered

S - Sweet vegetation from the mango, light booze, and habanero spice on the back end.

T - Mango on the front, habanero dominates the middle, booze throughout, and the pepper lingers. There is still some sweetness to balance, but the spice is pretty strong.

M - There is an interesting viscosity to this beer, almost oily.

O - this is an interesting beer that was worth trying, but for me goes into the annals of vegetable beers I don't really like that much. It's a good beer, I'd just prefer it without the mango and more malt. i would try the ghost face killa if you want a Chile beer.

3.17/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

A-Pours a fairly clear yellow/orange. Light head. Barely forms. Thin lines of foamy and bubbly lace.

S-Fairly light. Mango and apple juice with a slight hint of habanero heat. Almost tart in the nose. Booze is noticeable.

T-The mango and heat are interesting together. Sugary fruit juice. Mango salsa. Fairly cut and dry.

M-Sticky, hot and full. Softer carbonation. Slow sipper especially with the pepper heat.

O/D-Not worth the price tag and not really my sort of brew. It did sorta grow on me over the duration of the beer.

1.71/5  rDev -52.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

There's something about the burn you feel with this beer that makes you not want to finish the bottle. Founders has a great lineup of beer but this one just seems gimmicky and the taste is not enjoyable. The sweetness of the mango could be nice on its own but the habanero is a spoiler. Save your money and buy something else you already know you will enjoy.

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle: Poured a golden color ale with a small foamy head with light retention. Aroma of sweet malt notes with light mango notes. Taste is also dominated by some sweet mango puree notes with quite the spicy kicks hitting toward the end. Body has somewhat of an oily texture with medium carbonation and surprisingly hard to detect alcohol. Very interesting mix between mango and spicy/hot peppers.

2.12/5  rDev -41.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer leaves a burning feeling in the back of your throat. I'm not a fan but it is a different beer and interesting concept. The color is a golden brown and pretty. The smell has a hint of habanero but mostly mango so it smells great. Great first taste but leaves a lasting burning feeling in your throat for quite a while.

1.53/5  rDev -57.7%

750ml bottle poured into a Founders Brewing Company snifter.

The beer pours a rich apricot color, fairly clear with just a slight haze with a soft, fluffy, white head that has decent retention and leaves a nice amount of soapy lace behind. The aroma is brutal, tons of habenero spice, vegetal onion, earthy bitterness with almost no mango fruit to speak of. There is no sweetness to balance the beer at all, just pure, abusive heat. The taste is no different, punishing heat and vegetal habanero flavor, onions, grassy earthiness that is lightly bitter with no trace of alcohol or mango or even any malt profile to help counter the spice. The mouthfeel is shockingly juicy and coats the mouth very well, which really just scalds with beyond reason by the spice, and it does have a nice creamy feel at the finish and it goes down easily, which I can only suspect is an intended.

Verdict: Harsh, brutal, punishing, unforgiving and just awful. I applaud the idea from Founders, but like many spicy beers, this has no balance, no complexity and no nuances. Easily one of the worst concoctions I've tried to date. I'll just go back to waiting for their Harvest Ale and Breakfast Stout.

3.22/5  rDev -11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I had this on tap at smokin joe's and the following day tried it from a bottle just to make sure I got a firm idea of what this brew is all about. It pours a copper color with polished clarity. A rich white froth rests atop holding strong througout the duration.

The aroma is quite inviting with primarily a not so distinct fruity and tropical feel. Somewhat fruity like alcohol...and hops...and the advertised mango. But with a backing of significant sweetness to the nose that is almost candy-like as well.

The flavor of this brew is best described as pepper jelly. It is sticky sweet and fruity with a candy quality about it before getting vegetative and almost gritty feeling. The hops provide a hint of bitterness that gets trumped by the sweetness. The aftertaste is earthen with hops and a mild burning touch of more vegetative pepper quality.

This is full bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. It is interesting and not something I would want to have more than 2-3oz of at a time. The fact that this comes in a large format bottle is laughable unless you are sharing it with 10 people or are doing it as a joke/shock value. Worth having to say you tried it but thats about it.

3.49/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - pours a golden / orange hue with light beer like clarity and carbonation.

S - fruity, citrus, not an overpowering nose on this one.

T - A very smooth and sweet taste up front, mangos, citrus, followed by some heat on the way down and then BAM - the habanero hits you on the way down. I pictured as if I was in a cartoon and burped and fire came out of my mouth. Really a unique brew.

O - This is a brew that you must share with a few people. It is worth sipping and really enjoying the uniqueness of it. Worth a shot and taste pretty good, but I'm not down with felling like a just ate blazing wings when I have a brew. I'm glad I tried it, but will never try it again.

2.84/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

A high gravity fruit beer with mangoes and habaneros... Right. Golden amber, bright and beaming with exceptional clarity - looks like a clean amber lager or a filtered IPA. A soft and soapy white head sits on top, quiet and lasting for a deceivingly long amount of time before it remains as a ring around the edge and nothing else.

The aroma is a little quieter than expected for a 10%-er. Or for a mango beer. Or for a habanero beer. Dirty and earthy notes traverse and pull the shade over some sweet mangoes and delicate hints of honey. Not much pepper in the aroma... Almost nonexistent, really. Kind of disappointing overall, and not really what I was anticipating.

Yeesh... The first sip is cloyingly sweet. Over the top levels of sweet, sweet mangoes bum-rush your taste buds and spike your blood pressure instantly. Sweet and sour sauce, cloying mangoes, and maybe even some pear fruitiness. Yup. Mangoes with pear notes all day, and a light touch of toffee, most likely from the malt, though much of the malt seems to be pale.

Habaneros show up about halfway through and sent a jolting kickstart to the back of the throat. Each sip heats up over time until you finally realize your throat is nice and peppered. This aspect of the beer - I don't mind. I actually kind of like it. What I can't stand, however, is how my insulin levels get all out of whack at the beginning of each and every sip.

It's thicker on the palate than it appears, sticky and hefty with a pretty sharp and tight carbonation and blows up the flavors even more. This was one of those beers that started out kind of awkward, and I tried so, so hard to like it, but in the end, it became more a nuisance than an enjoyment to drink, and ultimately I was let down.

Tame the mango sweetness (or whatever sweetness it might be) and this beer has a shot. The peppers are quite spicy, especially as they escalate with each sip, but they do not simply "balance" the copious amount of sweetness on the front end of the beer. Started of mediocre with some redeeming qualities, but those redeemers aren't enough to keep this beer from being pretty bad.

3.58/5  rDev -1.1%

From 09/12/13 notes. On tap at Rattle n Hum in NYC.

a - Pours a hazy amber color with one inch of bright white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells a little bit metallic, and of mangos, fruity malts, yeast, spice, hot peppers, and trpoical fruits. At first not a lot of pepper but there is some definite spice on the back end.

t - Tastes of mango juice, tropical fruits, peppers, more spice, yeast, fruity malts, and earthy notes. No real metallic notes here, but more spice and hot peppers. Little too much for me personally.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Body is a bit spicy.

o - Overall I wasn't a huge fan of this one. It is interesting and I'm assuming what they were going for, but too much spice and peppers for me; I woudl have preferred it with just the mangos. Interesting and worth trying if you like the spice, but glad I didn't pick up a bottle of it.

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

Mexican street food in a bottle. This beer really does remind me of buying some mango sprinkled with chili from a street vendor in Mexico. The mango is quite exuberant and the spice is quite prominent without overwhelming the other flavors, but still gives you a slow burn. Whether you like this beer or not probably depends on whether you like these flavors. For what it's supposed to be, they nailed it. I happen to like this quite a bit. For me, this is one of those tastes wher the sum is more than it's parts, and the combination of juicy, ripe mangoes and bright chili really creates a dazzling summer concoction. Very well done.

3.33/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass

A- Nice clear orange or I guess mango color with a high slight off white head.

S- Sweet mango with a touch of the pepper. Bitter hop aroma.

T- Initially very sweet then the aggressive heat takes over on the back end. Not very subtle on either end and not very balanced. Not getting much of the alcohol, the heat seems to be covering it up.

M- Nice medium to heavy viscosity, good carbonation.

O- This is my first chili beer and glad it got to be this special release from Founders. Can't say it has made me a fan of the style and I think it is both to sweet and too spicy. Interestingly enough the more it warmed up the more I got use to the assertive flavors. Would like to try a dark chili beer sometime, I would think the chocolate and roast would lend itself more to the chili like in food.

3.14/5  rDev -13.3%

Appearance:
Pours a deep, rusty orange that's as clear as water. Head recedes to just a ring around the glass in seconds, but provides a nice cascading effect when tilting the glass. Alcohol is very evident with thick legs and carbonation is minimal.

Aroma:
Exactly as one would expect, ripe with sweet, sweet mango and a faint hint of pineapple and blood orange. No detectable hop presences. As the curtains close, hints of something sinister lurking within tug at your nose hairs.

Taste:
This is wild - properly wild. I've never experienced anything like this and that's both good and bad. First you are sucker-punched with sweetness provided by, you guessed it: Mango! It's almost too sweet, but not enough to ruin the experience. Then it happens. Mid-swallow, the heat hits you - like a roundhouse kick to the chest. It's sharp and it's potent! I really liked this one, two attack on the senses at first but it started to wear on me, the more I sipped. So much so, that I had to stop drinking it as it became quite unpleasant. It's wild and not for the faint of heart.

Mouthfeel:
Little to no noticeable carbonation from this medium body. Sweet up front, finishes hot with noticeable alcohol presence.

Overall:
While it's definitely not my cup of tea, I will go out on a limb here and say this is worth experiencing - but I think a bomber is definitely overkill. However, since it is only available in a bomber, split it with a bunch of friends and prepare to experience a beer unlike any other. For better or for worse.

4.45/5  rDev +22.9%

A: A dark golden ale with good clarity. There is a long lasting off white head made of rocky bubbles that leaves some lacing on the glass.

S: Alrighty, as advertised there is a medium aroma of mango, citrus hops and moderately-light chile pepper aroma. Some of the fruit aromas bring a low green apple type aroma but it's mostly a pineapple and citrus hops aroma blending with the mango and the fruity nature of the pepper. Low malt and alcohol sweetnesses round out the nose.

T: The citrus hops flavor, hops bitterness and habanero dominate the flavor with the mango following closely behind. The chile pepper brings a lasting heat that is about even with the hops bitterness and longer lasting than the malt sweetness. There is a medium amount of malt sweetness and moderate fruit sweetness against a strong hops bitterness and medium-strong pepper heat give a balance that is fairly bitter and spicy. The finish is about medium with a linger citrus and hops bitterness and a sustained chile heat.

M: A medium to medium-full bodied beer with a medium-strong level of carbonation and a moderate alcohol warmth.

O: A bold, flavorful beer that is exceptionally well crafted with the hop fruit flavors mix well with the mango and chile fruit character. A solid Double IPA that is complimented by the addition of mango and Habanero and what I think is perfect balance of heat. You've got to at least like some heat to appreciate the balance here, so if adding a few dashes of Tabasco or Sriracha to your food on occasion isn't you're thing you may want to move along.

3.56/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pretty solid beer here.

Flavor is sweet and heat. The flavors fade back and forth between mango and heat. Overall, a very straightforward beer. Nothing spectacular, but up front and in your face. No nuances here. I like the peppery touch and how the fruitiness of the habanero pairs nicely with the mango.

Worth trying, but nothing to search high and low for.

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I guess habanero peppers just don't work in beer. ive had many attempts, and this may be the closest to a hit, but it just doesn't fit. otherwise a fine brew, with a hazy thick orange look and a frothy head of pure white and an inch high. it smells sweet from the mango, but not really very spicy. pale and caramel malts give it a base. the pepper assaults you on the first sip, its not so hot as it is flavorful, until the swallow, at which time it lights a flame in the back of your throat. the cool carbonation tries to quench it, but it burns on. the ten percent alcohol also adds to the heat, which can absolutely be tasted. this is undoubtedly a bottle to share with some brave souls. I like the feel really, minus the heat. the fruit gives it a sweeter thickness and the carbonation is really aggressive. maybe scale back the habanero and this beer is a winner, as it stands though, its hard to get through a glass.

3.92/5  rDev +8.3%

Great vibrant copper hue with a fine creamy textured white head, forms fine even lacing with each sip. A great complex beer that I plan to seek out in bottle. It's hard to find I guess I'm lucky I found it on tap at Mad Mex Robinson. Great mix of beer and spice combined with and IPA and mango. The nose gives you that mango flesh with an appealing back end of malts and pepper spice. Flavor is smooth with the first initial sip and with each additional sip gives you some building heat, fresh mango puree with a spiced iPA this is grounds for success. I'm a fan, medium to full bodied slick oily textures from the hops and the peppers. I will be looking for more no doubt.

3.3/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I missed this one in stores & I just couldn't miss a Big Founders Beer. Up went the Bat Signal. Not only did my lovely man in the pinch, beerisheaven, ship me a bottle, but a fine local beer manager also told me where I could find one in his store. So many good people around here. So let's go, with an uncapped 750ML bottle, ready to sing.

The pour looks decidedly IPA. On the pale side of light orange, or the hard side of dark yellow, depending on which light you hold it up to. Head appears & cuts back quickly. Good mango hit along with a non-subtle jab of chile heat. Honey, too. Intriguing.

Mango Magnifico pretty much defines 'love it or hate it' & I get it. The bottle promises a 'Hint of Habanero' & that's like saying there's a 'Hint of Impropriety' in Anthony Wiener's texts. Chile heat jumps the palate, slithers down the throat, & puts down tent stakes in the upper stomach area. I like heat, & this isn't hot heat, but steady, throbbing heat (paging Anthony... paging Anthony Wiener). Mango is certainly in the back seat, but provides a nice counterpoint in a low, sweet way. Malts & hops are 93.2% invisible. Half a bomber? I could have used about five ounces to pass judgment.

Not much beer going on here, it's strictly mango & habanero running the show. It's pretty good, but a heavier hand on the beer & lighter hand on the habanero would be required to judge this brew on its merits.

3.92/5  rDev +8.3%

A-clear copper color. White head. Not too think. No lacing.

S-mango mango and more mango with a hint of heat

T-more mango, hint of caramel malt, hint of tropical hops, habanero heat, delicious

M-not much carbonation, very smooth

O-like a party in my mouth. Really enjoyed this beer. Shout out to Founders for this delicious beer. If only I had some carnitas tacos to pair with it!

Founders Mango Magnifico from Founders Brewing Company