Founders Mango Magnifico - Founders Brewing Company

good

good

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 07-19-2013)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Mango Magnifico Alström Bros
Evan

3.5/5  rDev -3%

08-16-2013 22:04:31 | More by Lucoli
garuda

4.03/5  rDev +11.6%

A - Mostly clear, golden body. Thin white head has little retention and lacing.

S - Some mango sweetness and a touch of booze heat. Not as potent as I expected.

T - Mango flesh sweetness with a peppery, habanero heat in the finish. Heat builds through the drink, with a touch alcohol burn mixed in.

M - Medium body, medium to high carbonation. Finishes crisp, with a lingering pepper burn.

O - A very nice blending of sweet spiciness. The 10 oz pour was enough though, no way I could drink a 22 oz. bottle of this myself. Habanero burn is well integrated to the flavor profile at first, but turns a little too hot by the end of the drink.

08-16-2013 17:14:12 | More by garuda
sjones5045

4.58/5  rDev +26.9%

Full disclosure: I am a huge fan of Founders, but consider myself objective, and I love heat in my beer a la Mikkeller Texas Ranger, Terrapin Reunion 2011 etc.

That said I really didn't have high hope for this when it was announced more so because I not a big fan of sweet beers, and Founders does a lot right but fruit beers isn't their forte.

I was able to grab a bomber and shared it with a friend. It pours like a beer commercial. Light coloring with a nice with sudsy lace. Perfect.

The smell was surprisingly absent. I was expecting much more of a citrus mango nose and it was extremely faint. I'm not sure if I didn't know if this was a mango beer I'd be able to sort it out.

The taste is damn good. It hits you up front with a nice light mango presence, citrusy and not overly sweet. Just as the sweetness starts to kick up a little more the habenaros take over give a nice smooth burn it the back of the tongue and roof of my mouth.

The feel is great. It's a crisp beer that does not take over too much of the taste and leaves you wanting more. I thought the burn would be progressive as I kept sipping but it never built up. At times the taste of mango faded in and out and was a bit less consistent than the pepper.

Overall, there is a reason why I'm a huge fan of Founders and its not cause I want to like whatever they put out. It's cause whatever they put out is usually world class and this is another best in class beer. Great beer if you like heat, prehaps the best use of peppers in beer that I've had. It spa must have.

08-16-2013 14:28:45 | More by sjones5045
hollywood_15063

4.75/5  rDev +31.6%

08-16-2013 04:22:34 | More by hollywood_15063
gcamparone

Rhode Island

3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured from a 25.4 oz bottle into a FFF tulip glass. Purchased in North Providence, RI.

A- Pours a crystal clear orange-amber body with a 3" fluffy white head that ruduces slowly to a ring of foam. Leaves some lacing.

S- I definitely get some sweet mango and fruity notes. Beyond that is maybe some caramel and alcohol. Not getting any habenero or spiciness in the aroma.

T- The first taste to hit the tongue is a syrupy, pretty sweet mango. Not too long after, the Habenero peppers make a big presence with a distinct spicyness that is like no other - a lingering hot and spicy flavor linger for a while. Chili pepper notes on the aftertaste.

M- Medium body, medium carbonation.

Overall I'd call this one of the most unique beers I've ever tasted, mainly because of the kick of spiciness it packs. I'd have to say the mango does go well with the habeneros. It's not very complex or drinkable, though.

08-16-2013 02:36:02 | More by gcamparone

08-16-2013 00:16:26 | More by MaseFace
roger617

Indiana

3.7/5  rDev +2.5%

Bomber poured in New Glarus pint glass.

A: 3.75 pours light copper with 2 fingers of head.
S: 3.5 fruity and spicy.
T: 3.75 I get the mango up front, then a long, lingering habenero burn. Very flavorful.
M: 3.75 nicely carbed, thick and coating
O: 3.75 while nothing was outstanding, this is surprisingly a pleasant brew. The 10% is masked extremely well with flavor. I won't seek out, but I would have again. Would be great with a burger or steak.

08-15-2013 23:21:26 | More by roger617

New Hampshire

08-15-2013 21:22:16 | More by Carpentiere
TheRemyLeabeau

4.74/5  rDev +31.3%

This is a great beer. I especially love it because its a beer I was able to split with the ol' lady! (I've been trying to get her into the craft beer scene) Anywhoo, the mango barely comes through on the nose and the mouthfeel is pretty basic. Where this beer stands out is in the taste. The mango is subtle and the heat creeps in, nothing dominates the palate on this beer. Too much mango or too much early heat would kill this beer yet its not too malty or too hoppy either, its just perfectly balanced. Don't get me wrong, this baby packs a punch. You'll take a few sips and think "psshh I'm such a beast! Joe schmo says its spicy and i can down this delicious mango beer like its nothin." Then before you know it WHAMMO this puppy bitch slaps you on the tongue and squeezes habanero juice down your throat. Its definitely a sipper so pace yourself, but enjoy, its a tasty one!

08-15-2013 09:45:13 | More by TheRemyLeabeau
drpimento

Wisconsin

3.75/5  rDev +3.9%

Pretty good stuff, Maynard. But I wonder if this is the original recipe. Poured at a good temperature, if a tad warm, with a smallish, off-white, foamy, head and plenty of lace. Color is a clear amber with no bubble trails I could find. Aroma is chiefly mango with malt, yeast, and the barest hint of pepper. Flavor's very similar to nose, carbonic tang is in the forefront, immediately follow by thick mango sweet, finally a tickle from the hot pepper. Might go good with a cigar. Body/carbonation are good. Finish is like flavor, slight medicinal taste, and of average length. A bomber for one is plenty, more fun to share.

08-15-2013 04:58:47 | More by drpimento

08-15-2013 03:56:42 | More by tdmccarthy
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

4.34/5  rDev +20.2%

Disclaimer. I like mangoes. I like habeneros. I like beer.

750 to the dome. Poured in none other than my founders goblet because I am a boss like that.

Half a finger of white head. Decent retention with a fair amount of lace. Color is a clear gold/orange.

The flavor starts out fresh and fruity with a big dose of mango. It really doesn't show any heat. As the beer sits a bit, the fire kicks in. The habanero peppers sit in and light things up. Very hot and spicy. A hint of smoke. This beer shows some malt, but no hops. It is very unique. No presence of the 10%.

Mouthfeel: See above. Sweet at first, then fiery. My mouth actually feels like I have ate some peppers. Medium bodied.

Overall, I am a big fan of this beer. It has a lot of elements that I like. The main reason I like this beer so much is because it starts out with mango, then fades into habanero. It isn't some jumbled mess of a combination. The flavors are strictly split up.

08-15-2013 03:30:36 | More by mothman
s_currie

08-15-2013 03:09:06 | More by s_currie
chefhatt

3.9/5  rDev +8%

Review from notes drank August 13th 2013
On tap at the Brass rail deli
It had a nice deep orange color body with no head to it. The aroma had a sweet hint to it. The taste was a sweetness from the mango upfront then the heat from the habenro hits your tonuge, not real hot but just a good kick to it. Then the hops leave a little bit of flavor on the back of tongue. Mouthfeel is real good and overall i really liked this beer.

08-15-2013 03:00:21 | More by chefhatt