Founders Mango Magnifico - Founders Brewing Company

good

good

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 07-19-2013)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Mango Magnifico Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

RandyKemka, Aug 12, 2013

Drucifer, Aug 12, 2013
4.8/5  rDev +32.6%

Very tasty beverage here. Unfortunately I was only able to salvage about 2 ounces from my bottle because it shattered while being taken out of a cooler. So if I can deduct points for Founders using cheap bottles I would but what I did try was a bit of heaven. I was skeptical of it when I first heard about it, but this vastly exceeded my expectations. Definite Mango flavor with a wonderful note of spiciness that hits the back of your throat. I sincerely hope I can get my hands on another bottle of this before it's gone forever.

wpqx, Aug 12, 2013

elroacho, Aug 12, 2013

craft_shannie, Aug 12, 2013

Holland, Aug 12, 2013
3.05/5  rDev -15.7%

Pours a nice clear orange-ish gold with minimum head and no lacing. The nose features strong mango character with a strong syrupy aroma that includes a hint of mango skin and some vegetal notes in there. Do not get much in the way of peppers on the nose (perhaps the peppers are responsible for the vegetal qualities that I'm picking up). Taste is very sweet up front with that strong syrupy/fruity quality that is typical of the recent New Belgium Lips of Faith brews (and not a positive thing I might add). There is no brightness to the fruit quality which is disappointing. The habanero comes on very strong and certainly fits the description of "con calor". There is a bit of a burn as the brew goes down. Mouthfeel is a bit syrupy with mild carbonation. Overall, I have tasted a lot of mango habanero combinations in my day (salsa, wings, jelly beans) and have enjoyed this combo quite a bit. A big reason I enjoy the combo is the nice tropical juicy quality the mango provides. Unfortunately, the only mango quality I get in this brew is under ripe and overly syrupy.

homebrew311, Aug 12, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

JBoor83, Aug 12, 2013
3.98/5  rDev +9.9%

A: Very clean and golden... well filtered, with just a half-finger of head to top it.

S + T: I don't know if mango would be the first aroma or flavor that I would mention. Nonetheless, it is a very pleasant fruity aroma and the same follows through in the taste. Sweet, fruity esters--rather vinous, as well. The mango comes out a little more as a distinct flavor while the beer warms. The highlight here is the chili. The sweetness followed by a sharp pepper note is fabulous. The balance here is very nice, and I think that it is the real quality of this beer.

M + O: Medium bodied, appropriately. A nice, slick finish, with that peppery warmth. While it's not a mind-blowing experience, it's a well-made beer, and thoroughly enjoyable. This is a solid Founders offering, though I would love it if it were a more regular offering and didn't have to life up to any sort of limited edition hype, which I think hurts this specific release a little.

Proteus93, Aug 12, 2013

Dan3279, Aug 12, 2013

4amepiphany, Aug 12, 2013

hopswap1, Aug 12, 2013
3.83/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A high alcohol fruit beer isn’t exactly what I would have voted for as the next backstage beer, but I’ve never met a Founders brew I didn’t like. Hopefully we’re getting closer to Black Biscuit…

A: A stunning translucent gold with a thin white head of fizz. Very little retention and lacing, though there’s a stream of bubbles that’s constantly ripping up through the body.

S: For such a potent beer, the only nose that’s apparent is a jammy fruit note of white grape, mango, and pear, all drenched in strawberry preserves. Bit of mint and chili pepper beneath all the sweetness.

T: Spicy and sweet in wonderful balance. Apparently “a hint of habanero” is all it takes to make give a beer a heavy cumin spice and pepper heat – it’s the first thing you notice. A tinge of alcoholic warmth, like port wine, burns through, enhancing the power of the burn. Creamy fruit tastes of cinnamon applesauce, mango purée, and grape jelly add substance to the palate; in the end, it turns into a typical sweet beer, with a finish of acidic fruit juice. Lingering tone of oranges.

M: Has the texture of fruit juice: no carbonation, and with a palpable creaminess. A modestly full body, but definitely more drinkable than what I expected from a 10% ABV fruit beer.

O: Take the habanero out of this palate and you’ve got a beer I’m sure I wouldn’t enjoy very much; fortunately, what we have here is a tasty mix of spicy and sweet, and an experience that’s just strange enough to keep it from getting exhausting. Totally enjoyable for what it is.

BarryMFBurton, Aug 12, 2013
3.01/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Bottle shared by raveskdr. Thanks Chris.

The beer is orange with a white head. The aroma brings mangos and tropical fruit notes, booze. Rich and syrupy with overly sweet fruit notes and booze. Spicy heat emerges more in the flavor than the aroma had indicated. Too much. A few ounces was more than enough for me. Lacking any subtlety or elegance that might make this beer anything noteworthy. Founders makes some outstanding brews, but they also create many, like this one, that fall way short of the mark, at least to me.

Huhzubendah, Aug 12, 2013