Founders Inspired Artist Black IPA - Founders Brewing Company

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 207 | Reviews: 35
Reviews by srv33:
4.09/5  rDev -1.9%

Got one of the last singles of this locally, and was excited to try it as Founders always makes very fine brews and this looked quite unique. The art on the cover is well done too, considering the name. It poured a very dark brown with a beautiful dark creme head. Scent of coffee, hazelnut, citrus, and an almost woodsy scent to it. Taste does not disappoint, and it is well rounded with a well roasted malt component that balances nicely with the crisper hop component. Mouthfeel is well balanced and there is a certain slight oiliness to it that really adds to the overall mouthfeel. Founders, as usual, does it again. Recommended.

3.38/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Bottle (2013)

Acquired via trade

Not quite black, but more of a very dark brown. Not particularly heavy or thick in body, but moderate. Nice sticky lacing left down the glass. A pretty enough black IPA; above average.

Nice amount of roast and a slight char character in the aroma. Very mild, muted hops. Simple and straightforward. Not unpleasant, but unexciting.

The flavor follows the aroma. The flavor is dominated by mild roast notes and just a hint of char and the slightest of smoke. Very mild pine hop character. Drinkable enough, but very unexciting.

Medium bodied with moderate-high carbonation.

A decent black beer, but really quite boring. Firestone Walker, for example, does a much, much better take on this style. There's really nothing IPA about this beer at all.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Had this while visiting a friend in Grand Rapids for his Bachelor party weekend (on tap at McFadden's).

Pours a deep dark chocolate brown with beautiful caramel froth and plenty of carbonation.

Very malt forward on the nose, mainly chocolate, some smoke, and just overall toasted nuttiness with notes of piney hops.

Flavor outlines the piney hops more than the nose, with some roasted barley.

Mouthfeel is well carbonated but balanced well on the malt spectrum.

Overall, a damn find black IPA, one of my favorites to date, it's unfortunate it was a one off, but I feel fortunate to have tried a few pints!

Appearance – This beer pours a dark black with a large tan head that is maintained throughout the drinking experience. If you hold it up to an extremely bright light, you can see a slight mahogany tint.

Smell – This beer has a heavy pine and citrus smell with a back ground of coffee, chocolate and caramel.

Taste – This beer is interesting with a roasted malt flavor that is perfectly balanced by the pine and citrus of the hops that hit you right after the roasted malt and finishes with a caramel/bitter balance that lingers.

Mouthfeel – A light roasted malt hit that is balance with the citrus/pine perfect hops. It is then finished with a caramel malt balance with the bitter hops.

Overall – This limited release for Artprize is a huge hit. I have never had a better balanced black IPA. Most seem to go overboard on the roasted malt or the hops. This one has a great balance. Get it before it is gone. Actually it should take first place at Artprize!!!!

4.29/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I picked a six pack of Founders Inspired Artist Black IPA a week and a half ago for $7.99 at Meijers. So far this is the first Black IPA that Founders has bottle and it's a Michigan only release. I've been anticipating this beer for a while and i'm interested to see how it turns out, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on 8/8/13. Poured from a shorter brown 12oz bottle into an snifter.

A- The label looks pretty nice and the artsy label goes well with the name, it kind of reminds me of Van Gogh painting. It poured a nice very dark brown color that had some slight ruby hues on the edges when held to the light with three fingers worth of nice looking darker tan head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left lots of sticky lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, it's got all the aspects that I look for in the style and the head and lacing were really great.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of hops with citrus hops sticking out the most with some nice grapefruit and citrus rind aromas followed by some piney and grassy hops in the background. Up next comes the malts which show up just enough and impart some dark malt, roasted and slight chocolate like aromas with some smokey malts showing up in the background. The aroma was very good, it had a some good complexity, the hops were nice and citrus like and the roasted malts with a smokey background provided great balance.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a good amount of hops that still have that nice citrus hop aspect to them with grapefruit seeming to show up the most and there's also some piney and slightly grassy hops in the background. Up next comes the malts that impart a nice dark and roasted aroma with a slight bit of chocolate and coffee coming through and some nice charred and smokey flavors showing up in the background. On the finish there was a medium amount of bitterness with a roasted and citrus hop aftertaste. This beer tasted pretty damn good, neither the malts are hops were too overpowering which made for some great balance and complexity.

M- Very smooth, clean, pretty creamy, just a little crisp, on the thick side of being medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was very good and it worked perfectly with this beer.

Overall I really liked this beer and I thought it was a great example of a Black IPA, it's one of the best ones I've had so far, I think I like Arcadia's B Craft just a little more since I thought this citrus hops were a little brighter and showed up a little more, but I thought the balance was a little better in this beer and I think it's much more drinkable. This beer had great drinkability, it was pretty smooth, not overly bitter, clean, not too filling, and the taste did a great job at holding my attention, I think I could drink a few of these without me getting bored of it or it wearing on me, I think it would be a great beer to have when it's starts too cool off at the end of summer. What I liked the most about this beer was how well rounded it was, it didn't have any weak points and there's nothing I would change about it. The only thing that I didn't like about this beer was that it was a limited release, for once this wasn't a hard Founders limited release for me to find and I liked that, but I think it would be awesome if they made this year round and released it more widely so more people can see how great this beer is. I would for sure buy this beer again if they choose to release it again, I think it's all gone at all my local stores, so I'm happy I stocked up and got a case of this while it was around. The price point was awesome I couldn't believe Meijer's was selling this for $7.99, it's a great value. I would recommend this to anyone who likes the style or to any big Founders fans. All in all I was very happy with this beer, I know founders makes great beer, but since I've never had a Black IPA from them I didn't how they would do with this style, but in typical Founders fashion they knocked it out of the park and created one kick ass beer. Great job guys, thanks for showing your home state some love with this release and I can't wait for more Art Prize beers, keep up the great work. On a side not I think it's great founders is working with Art Prize and I would like to see more brewerys fo things like this..

4.37/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle
no date
mug

A- A clear black with a amber hue. A light finger high tan head, that still there after 4-5 minutes.

S- Piney hops, some oak, and light smokiness.

T- Grapefruit, orange peel, lighter hops than on the nose, some bitterness, but not strong, nice clean taste. Nice balance, really tasty

M- Medium body, light creamy and smooth. Very easy to drink.

O- This one grabbed my attention on the first sip, this Is a really good beer moved right up on my Black IPA list to "keep in stock" lol. There is a lot more citris going on than what the smell leads on. I highly recommend this one if you are a fan of Black IPAs.

4.47/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Purchased from the Store in Mount Pleasant. Honestly thought I was going to have to drive to GR to get this so it was a pleasant surprise!

A: Very dark with an off-tan head. About 3 fingers of head. Man, this beer slowly laces down the glass. It is a thing of beauty! Some of the best retention I have seen.

S: Great hop profile. Don't know what hops they used but it seems like a nice mix between some citra and cascade. Not overly tropical, but a great mix of grapefruit, citrus and pineapple. Then to balance it out you have a nice malty/coffee undertone.

T: Wow. First time in a while a beer makes you rethink what is possible with the style. Initially get great coffee taste that smoothly transitions to a balanced ipa. Follows the nose in regards to the hops. Then just the right amount of bitterness to make you want to take another sip. All the flavors play a symphony together. Nothing is out of place. For being an 88 ibu beer it sure is balanced nicely.

M: Probably my favorite part of the beer. Such great carbonation mixed with a thicker mouthfeel that is rarely seen in a ipa. Feels substantial, but not overly heavy.

O: Maybe if we constantly nag Founders they will make this a yearly-release! The saddest part is that we might not see this beer again. Fantastic beer from one of the great breweries in the World.

4.09/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Definitely looks black, and shows sine dark brown edges in the light. Khaki head is able to maintain a thin cap in this etched Founders glass.

S: Piney hop aroma and a slight roasty scent. Not strong smelling overall.

T: Between the first bottle of my six pack and now, the flavor profile has changed noticeably. The fresher bottles I had were more hop forward with a pine and citrus hop profile with the malt took a backseat. Now this beer is more like a hoppy porter than a black IPA in my opinion. The malt has really come forward with a good malt roastiness and coffee notes, fleeting pine, and general hop bitterness.

M: This has the right feel, with a classic IPA body.

O: A really excellent beer that changed very rapidly. It's a little disappointing that the hops fell off so quickly, but it simply changed to a different, but equally good beer. I hope Founders does more surprise six pack releases in the future.

4.24/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

poured 12oz bottle into snifter. Bottle date of 8/20/13.

A - Deep, dark coffee brown with burgundy highlights with a 2 finger off white head. Great retention that slowly fades to a collar. Some spotty lacing.

S - Heavy on citrus hops with light bitter notes. There is a roasted malt and toast scent.

T - I pikc up the citrus hops right away, but then it leads into the malts. The malts are roasted and slightly smokes. A bit of sweet caramel and toast rounds it off. This has a ver nice, balanced flavor.

M - Moderate body and carbonation with a hoppy finish.

O - One of the better Black IPA's I have had. It is right up there with New Glarus Blacktop.

3.42/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: a deep brown. looks black through middle but brown along edges. almost opaque but not quite. finger of a foamy head that leaves a bit of a lacing

Smell: hops, citrus and pine. roasty malts.

Taste: opens up with a lighter pine hop, this gives way to a blended taste of citrus and roasted malts, chocolate takes up the back end

Mouthfeel: kinda light. some bitterness and roastiness left behind

Overall: A pretty decent beer. I thought about liking it for a few sips but i just can't stand the flavor combo

3.79/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours out black with red showing through on the edges of the glass (could be slightly darker.) There is tiny bubbles streaming up producing a off white fluffy khaki head. Looks like a typical black IPA.

S - As I pour this black beauty out I get a nice fruity hop aroma. Closer whiffs give me a more intense tropical fruit smell of mangoes, citrus, and also some pinyness follow at the end with a faint roasted malt aroma.

T - This beer taste like the nose with a citrus, pine, then the roasted black malt comes through on the end along with the bitterness from the hops. Black malt flavor reminds me of ground coffee. Malt flavor is more prevalent here and seems to build with the bitterness.

M - Mouth is medium bodied with a soft slick feel to it. Wish there was more body here.

O - This beer is a good example of the style and it seems dangerously easy to drink at 7.5%. I would however tweak the recipe slightly. With the black malt and the hop bitterness the aftertaste is slightly overpowering in comparison to the awesome hope aroma and taste. Worth a try if you like the style, Cheers!

3.78/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Time for the second edition of Morakaton's amateur as hell reviews!

Founders Inspired Artist Black IPA

Serving type : Bottle, poured into a generic Tulip glass.

Bottled in late August with the first batch of Inspired Artist.

Ah, this was a beer I really wanted to love. I typically love most Founders releases, I think their Centennial IPA is top tier for a single IPA, their Porter in my top 3 Porters list, and their stouts are unbeatable. So when I heard they were making a special Black IPA, a style I love for representing the less unbearably bitter side of IPA's, I was ecstatic. I was also slightly disappointed. I guess maybe it was because of the hype I heard from BA, but it wasn't mind blowing at all.

Appearance - It poured nicely with a finger length head, it's not quite black, but dark brown. The head dissipated into a long lasting foam ring around the glass after a few minute, not spectacular, but not offending.

Smell - Whew, this beer had some great aromas, definitely it's strongest aspect. It had a wonderful blend of floral notes, hop aroma, citrus, and roast, all combining for a nasal spectacular.

Taste - Very hoppy and bitter, the floral smell lends to the taste, and the hop character is almost too much for me. The roasty side of this brew doesn't come out until the beer warms up considerably, but it is much appreciated when it does. Overall, the taste isn't at all bad, it's just not well balanced. However, the alcohol is very well hidden, not at all detected by me in a brew with 7.5% ABV. The mouthfeel is thick and chewy, expected from a brew with a massive 88 IBU's.

Overall, I liked the beer, but it was a bit underwhelming for me. For all the hype surrounding it, and how hard it was to track down for me after launch (the initial batch was gone after the first weekend), it wasn't worth it. Perhaps cellaring my last 4 bottles for a bit of time will better balance the beer, but until then, I'll stick with my other Michigan black IPA favorites in Anger (Greenbush) and Special Reserve Black Bier (Dark Horse).
Until next time, stay thirsty!

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Dark brown with a two-finger tan foamy head. Good retention that leads to some nice lacing.

S - Lots of citrus - mostly grapefruit - with dark roasted malts.

T - Citrus is right upfront followed by big dark maltiness. The roasted malts brings nice bit of smokiness. Hoppiness is noticeable in the finish.

M - Medium body with medium carbonation.

O - Not my favorite style, but pretty good. Very well balanced flavors and easy drinking.

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle, poured into pint glass

A - Pours almost black, deep mahogany color. 1 finger creamy tan head that fades. nice lacing throughout drinking.

S - smells of dark malt, chocolate, hops; scent reminiscent of other Founders IPAs.

T - Chocolate, hazelnut, coffee notes all support wonderful balance of hops and malt presence. Strong hop finish. Alcohol content well hidden.

M - Med. bodied, med. carbonation. very smooth drinking.

O - Hop character similar to other Founders IPAs - not a bad thing. An excellent take on the style, as to be expected from a world class brewery. Bummer that it is a one-time thing.

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

We crack a pair, pouring a brew of the deepest black raspberry coloring. It holds two and a half finger tall head of creamy, cakey, and soapy café au lait colored bubbles, showing great retention. This leaves spots and ridges of lacing caked around the glasses as it slowly goes. No haze or sediment is noted, and carbonation appears to be moderately active. The aroma is explosive (!!), with “fresh-squeezed” hops offered in the form of citrics, fruity nectars, and dirty earth tones. These clash with the grain bill, which is chocolate and roasty, with soured brown malt inclusions, and a powdery but silky oat smoothness. Otherwise the nose fills with passion fruit and lemon flesh, booze, cooling vanilla, dill weed, phenolic plastics, green onion fusels, brushes of honey, and light smokiness. Our first impression is that it is very hop forward, as expected, with a showcasing of juicy fruity varietals right as it hits your lips, and an unfolding through the sip to give great bittering char on the end and thereafter. As we sip, the taste opens with sweet grapefruity hop, nectarine, kiwi, and mango fruitiness, powdered oat, black and brown malty roast, lactic sourness, vanilla icing sugars, soft rubbers, mineral, fresh thyme, and light medicinals. The middle peaks with black pepper and booze, apple skins, spicy citric and earthy hop bitterness, continued tropical fruitiness, sticky Thai basil, and the beginning of more of a bittered char and light leathery smokiness from the malt cellars. Washing through the finish is a mix of chocolate malts, metallic yeastiness, sprinkles of table salt, chalk, alcohol, black peppercorn, distant smoke, bittered field greens, carrot tops, syrupy chocolates and chocolate malts, light butters, and final sweetness of honeysuckle, floral nectars, and blood orange sweetness. The aftertaste breathes of smoke and charred chocolate and black malts, bittered lemon peel, green grassiness, copper metallics, yeasty bite, plastic phenol burn, fusel booze, juicy grapefruity and herbal hops, dill, gravel, and cocoa nib chalkiness. The body is fully medium, and the carbonation is medium. Each sip gives soft slurp, smack, cream, froth, pop, and glug, with a silky smooth, but heartily foamy coating to the mouth. This satiates, but does dry between the booze and the hops into a mild pucker, with lightly chalked astringency streaking across the back of the palate. The abv is appropriate, and the beer sips quite easily.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this beer was its beautiful appearance, and its gloriously robust aroma. From the start, the nose was in wonderful harmony, with brightly sweet and freshly organic hop offerings, and the warming, dark, roasty smoothness that was the malt bill. With further sugariness given from other origins based in fruit, the final balance was excellent, and set a big stage for the flavor. Here, too, we were not disappointed. The blend was rich, sweet, and bitter, showing an evolution of sorts from the beginning to the end. The hops started things off nicely, dissolving into a background of bitterness, booze, grain, and char. As the beer warmed, the bittered and charred notes became accentuated, acting to meet and somewhat overshadow, the sweet stickiness of the hops. That said, this was a true and loyal beer, to both the style, and to the fans of Founders alike.

4.17/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Two solid fingers of thick creamy head on the pour. Lacing stuck to the sides of the glass and crept down slowly. Pours with a dark brown color and sat black in the glass. Little to no carbonation active in glass while drinking.

Smell: There is a wonderfully balanced toasted malt and citrus hops. Some smokey oak mixed in with some caramel sweetness. Earthy pine really brings the aroma full circle.

Taste: Follows the aroma pretty well. The front is a brighter sweetness of caramel and toffee. The beer opens up in the middle with earthy malt tones and pine mixed in with the hop tones. Oaky darkness sticks around on the palate a long time after drinking.

Mouthfeel: Probably the most drinkable black IPA I've ever had. Well balanced darkness with hoppy tones. Easy on the palate but certainly packs a punch.

Overall: An elite black IPA. Balanced throughout. Founder's rarely misses due to their masterful craftsmanship.

3.87/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

The beer has some dark brown/black color. The aroma has some piney hops with a bit of roasty malt. The flavor follows with that pine flavor along with a slight bit of roasted malt. It's quite big on the bitterness. That is the big thing about this beer, the bitterness.

I generally prefer more citrus or malt in my black IPAs, but still well made.

3.73/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle poured into a shaker pint. Date 08/15/13

A- Sweet, Art Prize inspired, logo. 1-finger, dense, foamy, brown head. Near black body becomes a deep red and quite clean when held to light. Medium-heavy carbonation, good retention at 1/4 finger, awesome rings.

S- Quite hoppy. A ton of citrus, grapefruit mostly. Cracker-like grains.

T- Much more balanced than the aroma lets on. Citrus early, malty middle of caramel and cereal, more hops to spice up and clean the finish. Maybe a little grainy overall.

M- Quite clean/dry. Slight hop bite. Moderate body and carbonation.

O- I would like to have tried this at its freshest. I wonder about a fading hop presence. Still, a really good beer. I can tell its a black IPA that leans toward the hoppy traditions of an IPA, rather than some of the black ales that become quite stout-like. I'd have bought a sixer if I had the chance closer to the bottling date.

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottled on 8/15/2013. Pours nearly opaque dark reddish brown color with a 1-2 finger dense khaki head with great retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass. Aromas of big grapefruit, orange zest, tangerine, lemon zest, floral, pine, roasted malt, cocoa, coffee, light char, and floral/roasted earthiness. Fantastic aromas with great balance and complexity of roasted malt and hop notes; with good strength. Taste of grapefruit, orange zest, tangerine, lemon zest, floral, pine, roasted malt, cocoa, light char, toast, and floral/roasted earthiness. Moderate pine/roasted bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of citrus, citrus zest, floral, pine, roasted malt, cocoa, toast, light char, and roasted earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice balance and complexity of roasted malt and hop flavors; with a great malt/hop balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a lightly creamy, crisp, and moderately sticky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with minimal warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a highly excellent black IPA. All around great balance and complexity of hop and roasted malt flavors; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A highly enjoyable offering.

4.38/5  rDev +5%

A: Pours a dark brown almost reddish color with a slight brown head that lingers around the edges of the glass.

S: Strong grapefruit bomb right away mixed with a slight roasty smell of possible chocolate and bread.

T: Roasted malts upfront mixed with the grapefruit. Ends with a strong hop bitterness and dark chocolate. Delightful and very very smooth.

M.F: Smooth, medium body, minimal carbonation which is perfect for this style.

O: As it says on the description, it really makes you think about what a black beer should be.

Founders does it again. Cheers!

4.31/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Went to every Meijer around and finally found the last 2 6-packs they had. At $7.99 how could anyone not seek this out.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass

A- Beautiful dark roasted coffee color with translucent garnet on the edges. Wonderful big cafe creme head.

S- Big citrus notes with an edge of roasted acidity

T- Citrus upfront, moving to coffee, the lingering bitterness from both hops and roasted wheat

M- Creamy, with medium level viscosity

O- Was not really a big fan of this style until I tried this beer. Sierra Nevada Blindfold is also another one I liked. I hope Founders takes the positive response to this beer and adds it to a yearly thing, distributing it to all its markets.

Note: After about 2 weeks I noticed and big drop off in the hop forwardness of this beer and the roast flavors started coming through more. With that said, I would recommend that you drink this as soon as possible. Maybe this is why they have only served it at the brewery until now. It is still a great beer though, just more balanced, which may be a plus for some Black IPA fans.

4.31/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I have never had a black IPA before. What a unique beer! I filled my growler at Founder's yesterday. I drank half of the growler last night (on the same day of purchase) and I am in the process of finishing it off tonight. I almost feel like I should process two different reviews as I have two different experiences drinking this beer on two different days.

Appearance - nice thick head on the first day. Deep black color with a tannish head on the first day. There was absolutely no head whatsoever on the second day.

Smell - the nose on the first day had typical IPA notes - grapefruit and grass with the grapefruit the far dominant smell. The second day? No grapefruit whatsoever. All I get is roasted coffee stout with small hints of dark chocolate. Very peculiar. Did the head provide the grapefruit note I smelled on the first day and take it away with its disappearance on the second day???

Taste - the first day - Wow! The grapefruit on the nose gave way to roasted coffee stout when it first entered my mouth. It quickly and smoothly changed to the grapefruit IPA flavor as it moved to the back of my mouth and down my throat. The second day? The roasted coffee stout flavor is slightly bolder than the first day. Unlike the first day, the grapefruit IPA notes try but fail to takeover as the beer moves to the back of the mouth. Only when the beer is swallowed is the grapefruit note detected. Even then, the grapefruit notes are not as distinct as they were the first day but they are definitely there. There is a stout presence on the finish the second day that wasn't there the first day.

Mouthfeel - heavy but smooth. Nice carbonation on first day but 100% disappeared on the second day as could be expected.

As most already know, this beer will be sold only in Michigan during the late summer, early fall of this year. I will be sure to bunker some of this beer due to its complexity, 7.5% abv, outstanding price (suggested $9.99 for a six pack but on sale at Meijer today for $7.99!) and limited production.

3.66/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to GRG1313 for sharing this one at his tasting.

Pours a clear dark brown with a foamy khaki head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of roasted malt, cocoa, and citrus zest aromas. Taste is much the same with cocoa and citrus zest flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of roast and hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with a nice citrus hop presence that comes through slightly better in the taste.

3.76/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Very dark black brew with nice lacing off tan colored foamy head.

Roasty pine, raisins, herbal. Missing a bit of flavors.

Meaty flavor (literally). Slightly smoked, not over done. Roasty, missing much bitterness. Sweetness is also odd. Light, easy drinking, deep flavor. Sweet roasty flavors. Carbonation sit well at a heavy-medium. Nice light flavor, but it could use a bit more pep.

This is a fairly unremarkable brew, but it could be due to it's age...? It's good, but a bit too roasty for the style..missing much hops, but still well done and an easy drinker.

3.62/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a Founders Brewing Company Snifter.

The beer pours a dark cola brown, touches of Black and Tan with a foamy, khaki head that rises about 2 fingers high that has moderate retention and leaves just a touch a touch of lace behind. The aroma is heavy on roasted malt, toasted coffee, bitter dark chocolate with a nice backing of resinous pine and bitter hop spice. Lots of bitter pine and roasted malt on the tongue, toasted coffee beans, a touch of citrus is notable but this isn't really the most complex or exciting CDA. The mouthfeel is lively, crisp, active carbonation, coats the mouth decently well with a dry finish.

Verdict: A decent CDA/Black IPA from Founders, but it lacks depth and complexity. The hops certainly bitter the beer, but don't add too much in terms of flavor or aroma, the malts are still king here.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »