Founders Inspired Artist Black IPA - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Inspired Artist Black IPAFounders Inspired Artist Black IPA

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Black Ale |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Vogie on 08-27-2013)
3.68/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to GRG1313 for sharing this one at his tasting.

Pours a clear dark brown with a foamy khaki head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of roasted malt, cocoa, and citrus zest aromas. Taste is much the same with cocoa and citrus zest flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of roast and hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with a nice citrus hop presence that comes through slightly better in the taste.

UCLABrewN84, Jan 20, 2014

djrn2, Dec 21, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

Thorpe429, Nov 06, 2013

beernads, Oct 18, 2013

drewone, Jan 24, 2014
4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottled on 8/15/2013. Pours nearly opaque dark reddish brown color with a 1-2 finger dense khaki head with great retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass. Aromas of big grapefruit, orange zest, tangerine, lemon zest, floral, pine, roasted malt, cocoa, coffee, light char, and floral/roasted earthiness. Fantastic aromas with great balance and complexity of roasted malt and hop notes; with good strength. Taste of grapefruit, orange zest, tangerine, lemon zest, floral, pine, roasted malt, cocoa, light char, toast, and floral/roasted earthiness. Moderate pine/roasted bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of citrus, citrus zest, floral, pine, roasted malt, cocoa, toast, light char, and roasted earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice balance and complexity of roasted malt and hop flavors; with a great malt/hop balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a lightly creamy, crisp, and moderately sticky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with minimal warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a highly excellent black IPA. All around great balance and complexity of hop and roasted malt flavors; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A highly enjoyable offering.

superspak, Sep 14, 2013

dmorgan310, Oct 20, 2013

Zaphog, Aug 28, 2013

drummermattie02, Oct 14, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

tectactoe, Apr 23, 2014
3.64/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Received as an extra in a trade. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a nice deep brown almost black with a one finger mocha head that fades to leave a thin, mocha halo and light lacing. Quite appealing.

S - Aromas of light chocolate and sweeter malts, light brownie notes, hop profile I am not a fan of though. Wet and dank, earthy, light citrus. Maybe its not the hops but that smokey oak like aroma that I'm getting. Its making my mind think it smells like something one would smoke.

T - Yeah...I taste marijuana, its that simple. The smokeyness and the hop profile washes my pallet with that taste. Its one of the strangest experiences for me, very odd. Smokey, light citrus and grapefruit peel, faint chocolate malts. The bitter skunky hops...yeah.

M - Mouthfeel is pretty solid for the style. Drinkable.

O - Overall, I think there are plenty of other really, really good representations for this style. The skunky hops here just did not work for me.

rudzud, Sep 13, 2013

MSandahl23, Oct 11, 2013

st9647v3, Oct 22, 2013

warnerry, Sep 01, 2013

thegerm87, Nov 12, 2013
3.36/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Bottle (2013)

Acquired via trade

Not quite black, but more of a very dark brown. Not particularly heavy or thick in body, but moderate. Nice sticky lacing left down the glass. A pretty enough black IPA; above average.

Nice amount of roast and a slight char character in the aroma. Very mild, muted hops. Simple and straightforward. Not unpleasant, but unexciting.

The flavor follows the aroma. The flavor is dominated by mild roast notes and just a hint of char and the slightest of smoke. Very mild pine hop character. Drinkable enough, but very unexciting.

Medium bodied with moderate-high carbonation.

A decent black beer, but really quite boring. Firestone Walker, for example, does a much, much better take on this style. There's really nothing IPA about this beer at all.

ehammond1, Sep 27, 2013

threedaggers, Dec 10, 2013
4.4/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

$7.99 for a 6-pack at Meijer. How cool is that? 88 ibu's, 7.5% ABV. Brewed with midnight wheat.

Pours out to a very dark brown, near black, forming a tall poofy and creamy head with superior retention and beautiful solid lacing. Moderate carbonation, ~2.5 carbs or so. The nose is an awesome combination of pungent skunkweed hops and roasted malts, with touches of pine , a little peppery alcohol, and grapefruit. The mouthfeel is slick, smooth and medium-dense bodied. Just floats on the the tongue. The taste is as I would expect given the nose...pungent hops, roast malt, grapefruit, a touch of alcohol. No off flavors or aromas. Beautifully balanced bitterness. The 88 ibu's does not overwhelm. The finish is roasty and dry, and the aftertaste is all hop pungency.

This is one heck of a beautiful beer. It reminds me exactly of the black IPA I had from founders years and years ago. Expertly crafted. I already bought 2 6'ers, but I think I'm gonna go pick up a case at this price. Highly recommended. Seek it out. Probably the best black IPA I've ever had.

Mitchster, Sep 03, 2013
4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

Bottle from a friend in Michigan. Pours a dark brown to black with a creamy small half finger khaki head. Aroma of pine, roast, more pine, but of citrus, sweet chocolate malts. Flavor is sweet tropical citrus up front, some lightly roasted grain in between, a little spice, and a very nice sweet citrus left on the palate. Velvety mouthfeel with medium prickly carbonation. Very similar to Wookey Jack but not quite the bite and complexity. A very nice brew for the style.

BMMillsy, Nov 17, 2013

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

mrebeka, Sep 06, 2013
3.86/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

The beer has some dark brown/black color. The aroma has some piney hops with a bit of roasty malt. The flavor follows with that pine flavor along with a slight bit of roasted malt. It's quite big on the bitterness. That is the big thing about this beer, the bitterness.

I generally prefer more citrus or malt in my black IPAs, but still well made.

dar482, Oct 09, 2013
4.29/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I picked a six pack of Founders Inspired Artist Black IPA a week and a half ago for $7.99 at Meijers. So far this is the first Black IPA that Founders has bottle and it's a Michigan only release. I've been anticipating this beer for a while and i'm interested to see how it turns out, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on 8/8/13. Poured from a shorter brown 12oz bottle into an snifter.

A- The label looks pretty nice and the artsy label goes well with the name, it kind of reminds me of Van Gogh painting. It poured a nice very dark brown color that had some slight ruby hues on the edges when held to the light with three fingers worth of nice looking darker tan head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left lots of sticky lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, it's got all the aspects that I look for in the style and the head and lacing were really great.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of hops with citrus hops sticking out the most with some nice grapefruit and citrus rind aromas followed by some piney and grassy hops in the background. Up next comes the malts which show up just enough and impart some dark malt, roasted and slight chocolate like aromas with some smokey malts showing up in the background. The aroma was very good, it had a some good complexity, the hops were nice and citrus like and the roasted malts with a smokey background provided great balance.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a good amount of hops that still have that nice citrus hop aspect to them with grapefruit seeming to show up the most and there's also some piney and slightly grassy hops in the background. Up next comes the malts that impart a nice dark and roasted aroma with a slight bit of chocolate and coffee coming through and some nice charred and smokey flavors showing up in the background. On the finish there was a medium amount of bitterness with a roasted and citrus hop aftertaste. This beer tasted pretty damn good, neither the malts are hops were too overpowering which made for some great balance and complexity.

M- Very smooth, clean, pretty creamy, just a little crisp, on the thick side of being medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was very good and it worked perfectly with this beer.

Overall I really liked this beer and I thought it was a great example of a Black IPA, it's one of the best ones I've had so far, I think I like Arcadia's B Craft just a little more since I thought this citrus hops were a little brighter and showed up a little more, but I thought the balance was a little better in this beer and I think it's much more drinkable. This beer had great drinkability, it was pretty smooth, not overly bitter, clean, not too filling, and the taste did a great job at holding my attention, I think I could drink a few of these without me getting bored of it or it wearing on me, I think it would be a great beer to have when it's starts too cool off at the end of summer. What I liked the most about this beer was how well rounded it was, it didn't have any weak points and there's nothing I would change about it. The only thing that I didn't like about this beer was that it was a limited release, for once this wasn't a hard Founders limited release for me to find and I liked that, but I think it would be awesome if they made this year round and released it more widely so more people can see how great this beer is. I would for sure buy this beer again if they choose to release it again, I think it's all gone at all my local stores, so I'm happy I stocked up and got a case of this while it was around. The price point was awesome I couldn't believe Meijer's was selling this for $7.99, it's a great value. I would recommend this to anyone who likes the style or to any big Founders fans. All in all I was very happy with this beer, I know founders makes great beer, but since I've never had a Black IPA from them I didn't how they would do with this style, but in typical Founders fashion they knocked it out of the park and created one kick ass beer. Great job guys, thanks for showing your home state some love with this release and I can't wait for more Art Prize beers, keep up the great work. On a side not I think it's great founders is working with Art Prize and I would like to see more brewerys fo things like this..

StoutHunter, Sep 11, 2013