Follow our progress ...

Awaiting 10 Reviews

John Harvard's Brewery & Ale House
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: Maibock / Helles Bock

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by soulfly967 on 04-25-2005

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 2
Reviews by soulfly967:
3.6/5  rDev n/a

I had this on tap at John Harvard's in Pittsburgh. The bartender suggested it, so I went for it.

It came a crystal medium honey color with a white head that soon fell to a film and left virtually no lacing. The smell was of honey and some sweet malts. The taste was dominated by the honey. Very sweet honey flavor. I happen to be a big fan of honey, so I'm down with this. There was also a slightly malty finish to it, followed by an aftertaste of honey. The mouthfeel was a touch thin, but nicely carbonated and smooth. Well, even though I LOVE honey, one was more than enough for me. This would be a definite dessert beer.

3.47/5  rDev n/a

On tap @John Harvard's in Pittsburgh.
A: Clear, slightly dark amber in color. No head, just a collar of suds. I don't know how much 20 lbs of honey will affect the head, but I'm thinking that's why this one has no head.
S: Strong aroma of honey. Nice smell of some dark malts. There is a strangely strong alcohol smell to this one, really noticeable right up front. Low hops aroma.
T: Robust malty flavor with a nice hop flavor. Very sweet throughout from the honey.
M: Syrupy mouth coating sweetness, fairly strong alcohol (I'd love to know what the ABV% on this is, seems fairly punchy). Medium/full in body from the honey.
D&N: Surprisingly big bodied beer. Strong alcohol could be perhaps a bit better masked. Seems like a good beer for a cold spring morning to warm you up to go shear some sheep or something rustic like that. Nice beer.

Honey Double Bock from John Harvard's Brewery & Ale House
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.