Snozzberry Stout - John Harvard's Brewery & Ale House

Snozzberry Stout
No picture uploaded.

John Harvard's Brewery & Ale House visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: weeare138 on 04-21-2006)
4.22/5  rDev +6.8%

This beer poured a light black with a pale tan film of a head.

Smelled of a leafy raspberry bush and a dry powdery cocoa with a slight sour chalkiness in the background.

Tasted predominantly of sour, tingly raspberries. This starts with the tart nature of the berry piled up against the same dry cocoa as in the smell. As it finishes, a little bread dough comes out but is carried away by sweet, fresh raspberries.

The mouth feel was light to medium bodied and very smooth.

This beer was light and very tasty, but best paired with a desert. This beer paired with the ricotta cheese cake drizzled with raspberry sauce blew my freakin’ mind. Definitely give this combination a whirl. If my review included the desert it we paired it with, it would be rated off the charts.

DarkerTheBetter, May 29, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The appearance was…dark.
The smell was wonderful. I was quickly reminded of my parents raspberry bushes they have in their yard. Yum. Raspberries sprinkled with coco powder is mainly what I smelt.
I could taste what I smelt. Delightful subtle notes of raspberry and chocolate powder with a zing at the end when swallowed.
It was smooth and medium bodied
I thought this was a great beer. It paired wonderfully with the ricotta cheesecake I ordered. I would definitely order this one again.

WonderWoman, May 29, 2006
3.13/5  rDev -20.8%

On tap 5/26/06 after my excursion to BeerYard.

Pour was a dark brown, not quite black with strong ruby highlights. Not bad to look at. The description was hilarious, a wonka style beer - how could you go wrong?

Taste - a lot of raspberries in this, and for me, I don't like them. It was very sweet - almost tasted like the raspberries were not taken off the bunch, a lot of twig flavor and unfiltered resemblence. Not a far cry from the idea behind Otter Creek Middleberry Ale (only with rasp. not blue).

Overall I was not impressed with this beer - of all of the ones I tried, and this being my favorite style (somewhat), I was mos disappointed with this.

However, I highly suggest trying this beer if you really like the taste of raspberries and mild stouts. It was very creamy and did not have the bite that many stouts have (Weyerbacher Raspberry Imperial Stout).

John Harvard's is also an incredible place to eat. So, give it a shot if you are in the area. Also, go to BeerYard (about 1 mile away).

Cheers.

HimerMan, May 27, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

Appears black with a lush, creamy ivory head. Solid sticky lacing is left around the glass. The head never totally drops off. Very impressive looking and nice to look at.
Smell is of subtle raspberry mixed with chocolate flakes atop fresh cake drizzled with a mild dose of caramel.
Taste is a creamy smooth mix of the aromas making for an excellent dessert beer. This treat should be served in a goblet with chocolate cake.
Mouthfeel is of smooth velvet with mild sweetness in the swallow.
This one looked so well and felt so smooth in the palate, I would've thought it was a nitro pour but alas it was straight from CO2.
If John Harvard's ever decides to do a beer/dinner pairing, this one should be in there.

weeare138, Apr 21, 2006
Snozzberry Stout from John Harvard's Brewery & Ale House
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.