Harvard Square Helles - John Harvard's Brewery & Ale House

Harvard Square Helles
No picture uploaded.

John Harvard's Brewery & Ale House visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Munich Helles Lager |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: albern on 02-19-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Jayli

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

Consumed at John Harvard's in Harvard Sq 2/27

A: This beer pours a hazy straw yellow with a 1/4 inch of white head. Head recedes immediately and leaves ringlets of lacing on the glass.

S: Nose is of grain, cereal, and piney hops.

T: Taste starts with a bit of sweetness to it. Grain takes over and pale malt throughout the middle. Finish is where an earthy hops comes in.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation, crisp feel with a dry finish.

D: This is a highly drinkable beer. Well balanced, goes down easily. I could enjoy a few pints of this.

03-02-2010 17:33:26 | More by Jayli
jrallen34

2.8/5  rDev -28%

I had this on tap into a tasting glass a the Harvard location.

The beer is light gold that is pretty clear, slightly murky. The head is light white with a not much retention or lacing.

The aroma is way to light, only light hops and a lot of skunk.

The taste is all skunk, very disappointing.

The feel is super light like water and I quickly moved on to my next beer of my sampler.

02-21-2010 23:49:10 | More by jrallen34
ddean

4.45/5  rDev +14.4%

Nice work, John Harvard. I normally do not find Pilsner-style brews interesting, but this really got my taste buds going.

Appearance-
Cloudy yellow. Not a lot of foam but laces the glass nicely.

Smell-
Subtle, interesting...yeast, brown rice and green tea. Makes me think Sushi would be a great pairing.

Taste-
Very enjoyable. A lot of the smell in there. More banana esters than I'd expect from this style. If you like Hefs, you'll like this one.

Mouthfeel-
Very nice, crisp. Lingers in your mouth a while. I get the rice long after a sip.

Drinkability-
Nice and growler-friendly. Probably has broad appeal. Again, keep in mind I do not like Pilsners. I prefer big, but well-balanced beers. This one is not big, but exquisitely crafted. The barkeeper gave it to me by an accident (I mumbled "porter"), and I am glad she did so.

Cheers.

01-30-2010 21:33:55 | More by ddean
Hojaminbag

Colorado

4.4/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Harvard Square helles has a bright yellow body and a nice little white head. Doesn't lace my glass too much.

A whiff of this produces exactly what I would expect from a helles lager; sweet pale malt with some spicy, earthy hops in there. A very pleasant and appropriate aroma.

The taste is spot on the for the style and very well done. A good balance of spicy noble hops and pale malt sweetness. Nothing huge or complex, but just plain good.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp with a dry finish.

Really drinkable, I will order this beer any time and probably drink a few of them if I have the opportunity.

03-18-2009 19:18:37 | More by Hojaminbag
Harvard Square Helles from John Harvard's Brewery & Ale House
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.