Joker IPA - Williams Brothers Brewing Company

Beer added by: giacomorizzo on 12-22-2013

Ratings: 57 | Reviews: 13
Reviews by mttaylor1066:
2.87/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Bottle with a "Best Before" date of October 2014. (This review is from February 2014.)

There is very little to recommend this beer.

Poured somewhat flat although on the tongue the carbonation was lively. (This made me check the bottle date. Nope, still good!) There is a haze to the beer... which is mainly due to the wheat on the grain bill, I believe.

There is more malt than hop on the nose. But I'm not usually good at picking up aroma nuances.

The taste is very close to dreck... perhaps it's because of the wheat content and the hop profile. Seems like an amped up version of Stella Artois. I can't believe that the good people of Scotland would call this an IPA. It's barely beyond a an American light ale. It reminds me of Budweiser... and that's not good.

I never finished the bottle. It just wasn't worth my time.

4.6/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Not as hoppy as I expected (or hoped) but a nice session beer that I would try again. 500 ml bottle from off licence in Midlands Ireland. BBD Oct 2015.

1.38/5  rDev -63%

Drain pour but can't bring myself to waste beer

3.06/5  rDev -18%

500ml bottle. Bright copper in color. For advertising as very hoppy, not so much by American standards. But I guess compared to British beers.

3.77/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Traditional IPA, of a golden light orange color, somewhat translucid, and with a light but nice whitey foam.
Smell and taste are hoppy and full of citrus, with a bit of peach and passion fruit. In the end, maltiness becomes more evident and bitterness has a nice effect.
Not of a great feeling this one, I like basically the smell in the head.

4.87/5  rDev +30.6%

Best ipa (not include black ipa) I've ever tried. Taste is awesome.

2.72/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

My first reaction to this beer is that it was hardly an IPA. I felt the hop character was weak and boring. It had a nice malty taste and wasn't too harsh, but I expected a big hop presence. The 5% ABV made it very drinkable and not too heavy on the alcohol. This wasn't a bad beer, I was just confused on the IPA labeling.

3.41/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

500ml bottle poured into a nonic pint

Look: Pours a slightly hazy straw yellow with a thinnish white head with good retention.

Smell: Resinous, with citrus and hops to the fore - there are particularly strong lemon notes.

Taste: Heavy on the hops and the lemons and little else of note. One-dimensional.

Feel: Fizzy and fairly 'thin' - comparisons with cheap lager aren't too far wide of the mark. Whilst it's fairly well hopped by most UK standards, it's not nearly as aggressive as some of the American IPAs.

Overall: Meh.Simple as that. Williams Brothers have, I think, tried to brew a US-style hop bomb and have fallen well short. in the process. I'm not a hop-head by any means but even I find this to be rather disappointing. I persevered with it, since I'm not one to waste beer by throwing it down the drain. Even so, it's not something I'd actively seek out.

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

It was reasonably hoppy for a UK/Scotting IPA. Had this while watching "Angel's Share"!

Hoppy, but lacks a good bitter punch that I enjoy with IPA's.

3.42/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

IMHO, style-wise this is an American pale ale and not an IPA. Smell, ABU, flavor all say APA to me. Pour is okay, nice (mild) American hop nose, but flavor is a bit off. Not a bad beer, but nothing I would buy again. Meh...

Immense drinkability and aromatically complex with citrusy and resin hop flavors bursting through the malt frame. The finish is dry with short lived bitterness and aftertaste.

3.32/5  rDev -11%

500ml bottle. Light amber colour and moderate head. Smells more like a pale ale, chalky with a hint of raisin and lemon. It has a lemony start, a somewhat herbal phase, and then more lemon. I like it (a refreshing beer for summer) but it does not really seem like an American IPA.

Joker IPA from Williams Brothers Brewing Company