1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Ebulum Elderberry Black Ale - Williams Brothers Brewing Company

Ebulum Elderberry Black AleEbulum Elderberry Black Ale

good

Williams Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scottish Gruit / Ancient Herbed Ale |  6.50% ABV

Introduced to Scotland by Welsh druids in the 9th Century, elderberry black ale was part of the Celtic Autumn festivals when the "elders" would make this strong ale and pass the drink round the people of the village. The recipe was taken from a 16th Century record of domestic drinking in the Scottish Highlands. Elderberries were used for many natural remedies to cure sciatica, other forms of neuralgia, influenza and rhumatism as they contain tannins and fruit oils. Ebulum is made from roasted oats, barley and wheat boiled with herbs then fermented with ripe elderberries.

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 09-18-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ebulum Elderberry Black Ale Alström Bros

Pours a bubbling black with a big brown head. Attractive, almost a nitrous pour look to it. Stayed frothy.

Smells like ... some sort of berry, and coffee.
Upon the first sip, very nice. That same berry bite, with coffee and some sweet chocolate. Mouthfeel is way too thin for a porter/stout, but then again, this isn't one of those. Though it looks like one.

It's only as the bottle continues that problems arise. If you gave me three oz. of this beer and asked me to review it I'd say "the strange fruit/berry flavor lightens up what would otherwise be a fairly standard, too thin porter." After 8 oz., it would be more like "that berry flavor has a horrid aftertaste after a while and it drowns out what would otherwise be a pleasant but forgettable porter."

I guess I don't like elderberry, if that is what is responsible for the horrid medicinal/herbal quality of this brew.

Overlord, Aug 05, 2008

hotsudge, Nov 04, 2012
2.28/5  rDev -40%

11.2 oz brown bottle. Splashed this into a small tulip. It is a dark shade of brown and carries a tan head.

Not as good as its sister offering Alba. This has more of a toasted malt presence and it lacks the herbal and spiced identity that I like so much in this style. It is "tinny" in the nose but it thankfully doesn't make its way to the body. There is even hints of a dry bakers chocolate that once again isn't what I would consider a benefit to the overall picture.

Notes: Ehhhh not for me.

DogFood11, May 26, 2007
2.48/5  rDev -34.7%

Pour: 33cl bottle to wide mouth glass. Pours a very pretty dark brown with a cask like lack of head and not much in the way of visible carbonation in the glass.

Nose: Aha! So that's what elderberries smell like! Smells slightly sour and/or hoppy.

Mouth: Nice, dark roasty flavors co-mingle with the rich flavors of the elderberries. Unfortunately, the first flavors are the best. From there we go to a weak showing in the back of the mouth, with almost no bitter balance and a slightly plastic, very undesirable finishing taste. The mouthfeel is horrible - it's like a cask ale except thinner. There's absolutely no carbonation aside from a tine twinge on the front of the tongue. I won't be buying this one again.

clickpush, Jun 09, 2006
2.5/5  rDev -34.2%

Shmobo, Feb 12, 2012
2.53/5  rDev -33.4%

This beer should be consumed at higher temperatures (50-60F).

A - Dark brown with a small dark brown head that is quick to vanish. No lacing.

S - Hmmm. A bit of a slightly offensive floral character. Like flowers that are meant to be seen and not smelled. A very faint coffee odor underneath. After the temperature rises the offensive floral character vanishes and a slight elderberry and apple odor appears. It is no longer offensive, but it is still weak and not that good.

T - A slighty medicinal fruit character paired with a blackened coffee. It sounds worse than it is, but it still isn't great. There is a lingering faint medicinal character in the aftertaste, but it is predominantly a burnt coffee bitterness. It is a mild flavor. It isn't overwhelmingly unpleasant, but is not anything good to say about it. The medicinal character vanishes at higher temperatures and all that remains is a faint coffee bitterness

M - Carbonation is a bit high, thick, and pretty refreshing.

D - I can't forsee this one matching with foods well. Sessionable? Not likely, it is too strong anyway. I don't think I'll partake in this one again. The fruit presence is subdued, this is more like a porter than anything. A not so good porter at that.

mrasskicktastic, Feb 01, 2006
2.6/5  rDev -31.6%

This beer pours the blackest of black beers with a slightly red tone around the edges, almost no head and no lacing. The aroma reminds me much of a dark wine with hints of alcohol overpowering slight hints of fruits. The taste is very sweet and tastes of berries, but the alcohol is very apparent as well. This beer is too sweet for my tastes and the alcohol is very poorly masked. This is not a bad beer at all but I don't see myself drinking it again.

clvand0, Apr 27, 2003
2.6/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Dark beer with a good 2 inch head, a slight redness, can't see through it.

Mossy smell with a bit of a stale fruit note along with it, the smell was potent but off-putting to me.

Tasteis dominated by a roasted flavour, hint of coffee. then the berry flavour and lots of malt.

Medium bodied, creamy feel, I agree with the review that said the elderberry actually does more harm than good to the flabour, but at the same time, it's the gimmick that drew me in, so....

Probably won't go for this again, but it was different and a nice change.

NV9, May 26, 2012
2.63/5  rDev -30.8%

Not much going on here. A hint of berry but for the most part bland and unmemorable.

An inky black body with meagre head retention, this Elderberry Ale seems more gimmicky than anything else.

I guess Wiccan-types might feel that by drinking this they are directly communing with their pagan ancestors or something but the rest of us shouldn't fall for such hype.

It isn't bad. it just isn't good. Totally bland and, apart from the novelty of the use of berries for flavour, unmemorable.

mwrseeley, Dec 22, 2009
2.7/5  rDev -28.9%

excited to try this beer on a blind pick from the store. celtic symbology and graphics and font..very cool.

best before date march 2012.
listening to blind faith sea of joy.

pours black with nice head and lacing

smells amazing. i get creme brulee with a bit of underlying funk. powdered hot chocolate, artificial but yummy.very heady smell. lovely rich and inviting. blowing me away.

the elderberry is a bit hard to construe but being a dark fruit lover i can pick its taste out. if that makes any sense.

i take it back the elderberry is in the repeat. the belch.lol. lots of it and more powdered hot chocolate.

interesting interpretation of an elderberry beer. but a little flat with its message. a little too beery yet fruity, a weird not fantastic mixture.

glad i tried it but would not seek this out again. started out so promising.

paxkey, Mar 15, 2011
2.73/5  rDev -28.2%

Pours a jet black with a two finger tan head.

Very fruity nose that includes the obvious berries, as well as a little bit of something else, maybe apple.

Hmm, not what I was expecting in a taste. Fruity characters there of course, but theres something else that I can only describe as coffee grounds. Not very pleasant.

Very smooth, slides down the throat.

All I can say is that this one started out great, and really hit a wall with the taste. I will not be buying this again.

jayc333, Nov 20, 2005
2.73/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This was one weird brew. I was doing a mixed six pack recently at the store and a friend insisted on me trying it.

Pours dark with ruby red highlights around the sides... Ok Im expecting something roasted with some porter characteristics maybe. Thin tan head formed of big bubbles after a few swirls with some gentle lacing.

Aroma... dark fruits but slightly sour or tart. Did I get a bad bottle? Maybe a hint of a roasted note. The taste starts out roasted and gets a little tart in the middle but finishes with a certain dry sweetness that almost tastes a bit chocolatey.

Overall it was really challenging to drink, as I couldn't pinpoint any one defining characteristic. I don't think that I would reach for this again.

Ineedabeerhere, Dec 15, 2008
2.75/5  rDev -27.6%

Get this at Cyclone Liquors.

Pours a nice head that quickly falls thin and doesn't disappear. The lacing is very good, sticks great. The color is black and unsee-through able. Smell is dark roasted and a little earthy. Like a black ale with some mossy smells to it. There are some chocolate notes as well. Taste is slightly roasty with those mossy flavors and some off-flavors almost rubbery-like flavors. Good mouthfeel very pillowy. Overall, I wouldn't have another one of these. Unless I was in Scotland I can never know when these Gruits are still good.

Erdinger2003, Dec 06, 2007

davidwhatshisnam, Jun 19, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Poured into a taster. Thin head with a pretty reddish-black body.

S - Smells roasty, a clean roasty.

T - Wow, this is a fairly bitter beer. I don't know if it's entirely due to hops, but I'm not that crazy about it. It's a coarse bitterness. Roasted flavors are there, as well as a fruit flavor that must be elderberry...but otherwise, this is kind of like chewing on an aspirin. Very desiccating.

F - Harshly carbonated and otherwise a little watery. A lot of lower-alcohol beers feel like this, and I'm not a big fan.

D - There are some good flavors here, I'm not sure this is a "bad beer," even though I find it a challenge. I think this would be far better served with some food. On its own, it's kinda sharp for my liking.

Patrick999, Feb 01, 2009

dtivp, Jul 02, 2013
2.83/5  rDev -25.5%

Appearance: Pours a dark, coffee black with a minimal fizzy tan head.

Smell: Has that odd burnt coffee/rotten cheese porter smell

Taste: More burnt coffee/cheese taste with a bit of sweetness. I can taste some of the berry flavors at the end.

Mouthfeel: Very thick and carbonated. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Drinkability: A little heavy and fizzy, but overall relatively refreshing for the style. I wouldn't have more than one, mostly due to the taste.

Not my favorite beer in the world. The taste is very similar to a porter, but a little sweeter and not as offensive. If you like porters, it's worth a try I suppose. I probably wont be buying this one again.

jamesdergen, Oct 31, 2005
2.83/5  rDev -25.5%

Poured from 12oz bottle into nonic.

A - Pours jet black with a 1/2 finger, off-white/almost tan head. There's evidence of some lacing left behind by the head.

S - The nose is this is very nice! Dark fruits, sweet molasses, a bourbon(ish) smell (even though I don't think there's any bourbon in here), some wood/oak. Very rich and sweet.

T - Kinda blah. From the nose, I was expecting WAAAY more. A hint of dark fruit, but otherwise kinda tastes like dirty water mixed with some raisins and plums. Some coffee/dark chocolate bitterness on the finish mixed in with some herbs, which I kinda like.

M - Very thin...too thin for me. Light carbonation, which goes back into my "dirty water" theory...needs a bit more to change my mind here.

D - While not a terrible beer or drain pour, I think this is prolly gonna be my first and last experience with this one.

Sean9689, Sep 11, 2009
2.9/5  rDev -23.7%

Bottle, brought by a friend from England.

Black color, tan to beige "cafe latte" head; beautiful, but non-lasting, head.
Soft gentle a bit chocolate and burnt scent, but more towards the chocolate bit. Warming up the beer grows a fresh fruity scent.
Soft but a bit thin mouthfeel.
Low bitterness.
Small chocolate taste mixed with alcohol, mellow burnt aftertaste.

Can't taste the elderberry and the entire beer is a bit too weak for my taste.

gnoff, Aug 15, 2006
2.95/5  rDev -22.4%

Pours imperial stout-esque. Very black with almost no carbonation. A small brown head pops up for a moment.
Smoky tones on the nose along with some berries and touches of roastedness.
Interesting flavor. Starts off with mildly sweet black malts coupled with the elderberries (never had them before but think "blue-raspberry flavored"). Berries aren't a big deal, but enough to be noticed. Turns a little roasted, before fading out into a smoky, muggy finale
Body is akin to 3 day old soda. Flat and thin. Probably doesn't deserve the 2.0 I gave it on mouthfeel. No wonder they raped and pillaged (anachronistically or not).
Interesting history lesson, but I won't be studying it again any time soon.

cokes, Oct 09, 2002
2.98/5  rDev -21.6%

Appearance: Deep, dark purple--nearly black. Thick, purplish head.

Smell: Upon swirling, smells fruity, spicy, maybe a little piney. Otherwise just smells smoky.

Taste: Wow, I'm not really sure if I should be reviewing this beer; I've never had an elderberry beer (or an elderberry) before, and it's certainly got character. Maybe I just don't like elderberries. Ironically, given my recent, infamous Cock Ale post, this beer tastes predominantly of smoked meat, like beef jerky. Not a terrible taste, just not exactly something I want to taste in my beer, especially one I assumed to be fruity. It's also a little bitter. This isn't to say that it completely lacks fruit aspects. There's an undertone of what I assume is elderberry, but it's overwhelmed by the "rooster."

Mouthfeel: Okay, I guess. Can't really get over the taste. It's reasonably smooth, with a bit of a bite.

Drinkability: Hey, it's not for me. Maybe you like elderberries. Or venison. It does have a cool, medieval bottle.

battlekow, Jun 21, 2005
2.98/5  rDev -21.6%

Murky dark brown - almost black with a tiny cask head. Aromas of distant nail polish and pretzels at the mall. I found that rather intriguing. The flavor was similar with some tartness thrown in. Someone at the bar said, "horse blanket." I tasted horse blanket. Medium body and a slightly sour finish. The night it was on cask I had just missed one of the main guys from the brewery who was there to meet and greet. They said he was cool. Then I found out there was a half-empty cask (now fully up to room temperature) of Bell's Porter in the back that had been taken off the beer engine to make way for this new beer under current review. Which was not in the "cellar temp" cooler long enough to be any cooler than tepid. Then I got mad. The bartender said not a lot of people even showed up for this event either. Great.

dedrinker, Mar 11, 2008

beerhunter13, Jan 14, 2012

Appearance: dark red-brown in color, minimal head, clear, moderate carbonation

Smell: faint berry and roasted malt

Taste: roasted malt and coffee, slight berry at the end

Mouthfeel: dry, slightly bitter with sweet undertones, medium-heavy body, medium-low carbonation

Drinkability: Probably my least favorite of the Scottish Ales pack. This tastes like an ok dry stout with some additional berries. Not a bad beer, but nothing I would rush to get.

tigg924, Jun 14, 2010