Grozet - Williams Brothers Brewing Company

good

Williams Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scottish Gruit / Ancient Herbed Ale |  5.00% ABV

From the Gaelic "Groseid", Since at least the 16th century Scots monks and alewives brewed indigenous drinks from cereals, wild herbs and ripe fruits. Tibbie Shiels green Grozet was immortalised by such Scots literati as Sir Walter Scott, Jas Hogg. (The Ettrick shepherd) and Robert Burns whoconsidered it a most convivial drink. Brewed with lager malt, wheat, bog myrtle, hops and meadowsweet then secondary fermented with ripe Scottish gooseberries.

(Beer added by: canadianbarman on 09-12-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Grozet Alström Bros
1.2/5  rDev -66%

Clear clear clear golden color. Pretty but a bit boring. Smells like... stale cigarettes. With lemon. Yeah... so... um... Taste- better. But better isn't really good. Tastes like dirt. Stinky cigarette-infused dirt. Mouthfeel feels kinda dirty, too. Grainy and not smooth. Not that drinkable. It just... it's dirt. This is beer dirt. Dirt beer. Yech. And it's fresh, it says it's fresh... this must be a big burly man Scot beer.

1.43/5  rDev -59.5%

First impression-- appearance like lemon water; smell like a lovely bouquet of grape and flowers; taste like watered-down turpentine.

My wife's interested first (and final) reaction to her "sure I'll try the Gooseberry" - "BLEHHH" as she permanently sat it aside. Oh-- she corrects me and notes that she also said, "It sure doesn't taste like gooseberry!" She's absolutely correct-- this has no excitement or fruity flavor as might a flavored Kriek. There's gooseberry in the nose, but you won't find much hint of it in the taste.

I'm glad to see that some epicurian affectionados seem to rate this highly. It's nice to read the interesting historical notes given for this beer. My first, middle and final impression echoes my wife's-- BLEHHH. Even for a wheat-beer, it's not very good, in my opinion. The only exotic beer that I've had which this might resemble (and was even worse), was the Rodenbach, whose slogan is "you either love it or you hate it." I was in the latter group. I was sick for 6 hours, after having it on-tap.

You can check my other reviews and see that I do, indeed, enjoy good and interesting and exotic beers. Not this one.

1.53/5  rDev -56.7%

Small brown bottle with September '03 expiration date. Pours a cloudy, pale, nearly peach color. Smell was somewhat metallic, and harsh. Very different. Taste was very oddly tart, overly tart, and highly acidic, to the point where my eyes nearly bugged out of my head. There is a point when tastes fade from subtle to non-existant. This is such a case. Other than drinking a sweet-tart with seltzer water, I can't even describe this. Very thin, watery, oddly metallic finish. Sorry I couldn't finish this one. It may be a bad batch, I read the article before drinking it, but just not for me. A horrible concoction never again to be sipped.

1.83/5  rDev -48.2%

A vigorous pour yielded 2 fingers of white froth atop a hazy honey colored ale. Has a starchy muskiness to its aroma with slight citrusy wheat note. Head has settled down quickly and retains abit with lacing. Mouthfeel is rather flat feeling with a slight dryness. Flavor is completely unusual and a bit unpleasant. A bit sour and earthy with a staleness added to it. I'm not sure if I'll finish this one or not. Not a good tasting brew.

1.93/5  rDev -45.3%

I was rather excited to try this one, as much as I love the wheat beers. Poured a very cloudy amber color. No head, just some little bubbles around the edge. It looked thick, like a really good apple cider. You know the kind you get on those side stands in the mountains. Smelled sweet, fruit like. Apple-ish, but not apples. I thought the taste would be as cool, but yuck. Very tangy, almost spoiled tasting, like spoiled green apples with pepper, lots of carbonation, but where's the head? Not a good feeling in the mouth, I can't help but wonder if this beer is any good. It's expiration date is June of this year. But surely it's still good. I let this sit on the counter, and it got somewhat warm, it is a little better than cold, but I think I'm going to have to dump this one down the drain. Man, what a dissapointment! I think I'll try somethiing else.

2.17/5  rDev -38.5%

330ml Bottle
$1.99/bottle

Pours out a cloudy, pale, urine color with virtually no head. The aroma is a subtle wheat with a fruity background. The taste is definately different, and I am not so sure that is a good thing this time. There is nothing as far as taste goes. It is extremely flat tasting and the wheat presence almost seems rotten and stale. There is a bit of sourness followed by a dry, earthy, dirt-textured taste. I cannot think of anything positive to say about it. Glad that I got a chance to try this style of beer, but my god, this stuff is pretty bad.

2.25/5  rDev -36.3%

My label wasn't metal like the one in the picture here, but that's ok. Cool to see that a uni. art class designed it though. Best before June 07. OK, good..

Open, pour... erm.. Poured a golden yellow color, a bit hazy, with a susdy-white head, sort of looked like the bubbles in a sinkful of dishwater. Eh.

Smelled like a big skunk sat on my nose and got scared. I mean SKUNKY. This, from a brown bottle in a decent store. Hmm.. Also got some herbs in there, rosemary I think. I don't like rosemary, so that didn't help to distract me from the skunk.

It did not taste too skunky at all, somehow. It tasted a bit fruity, I suppose those gooseberries (I don't know what gooseberries are), if I thought about it enough there was a generic berry flavor in there though, but very very faint. It was also herbal, again I picked up rosemary, and that didn't make me happy. It also tasted grainy, like corn or something less-than desirable. I do believe I made an icky face upon tasting this.

Mouthfeel was thin, moderately carbonated, and just bland. Not drinkable for me, I had to pass this one off to my mom, who liked it lots. Otherwise it would've been a drain pour.

2.45/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Hazy lemon yellow with almost no head.

S - Light sour floral or fruit smell, not very pleasant, but very weak.

T - A light wheat malt and tart fruit flavor with a touch of sourness. A mild tart/bitter finish.

M - Sort of thin and a bit viscous, refreshing.

D - Well, it isn't hard to drink, but there really isn't much to it. The flavor is weak, but if it were any stronger it wouldn't be pleasant at all. The smell would be nigh unbearable if it were stronger. I would get sick of it after a few. A subpar beverage this is.

2.48/5  rDev -29.7%

I was less than impressed with this beer. The aroma was a little sour and overall not appealing and first sip reminded me vaguely of water (maybe because of it's lack of taste?) The second sip got better as did the following sips as I started to pick up more of the gooseberry flavor. Very little malt presence (says it's a wheat ale on the label)and the berry flavor dominates the flavor profile. After I had hit the halfway point, this beer becaem harder and harder to drink. Maybe I'm just not that big of a fan of gooseberries. Maybe I just don't like kool-aid mixed with my beer.

2.5/5  rDev -29.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a cloudy gold color, with a very thin white head that fades very quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of light malts, spices and some fruit.

T: The taste is sweet and spicy with flavors of berries & herbs and it has a weird bite to it. There’s a mild hops presence and a thin malt character. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp with a little smoothness, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: A little tasty, goes down ok, not filling at all, mild kick, this really isn’t a beer that I would prefer to drink too many, the flavor just didn’t appeal to me.

2.58/5  rDev -26.9%

Pours a very light golden color with a very thin head and no lacing. Smells of light wheat, some malts, and some sort of astringent flavor. Tastes of wheat, mild hops if any, and some gooseberry (if that is what that sort of odd berry flavor is.) Mouthfeel is medium with very little carbonation. Drinkability is not very good.

2.58/5  rDev -26.9%

NOTE: OLD BOTTLE TASTED! Medium brown color, slightly cloudy. Small head. Aroma is fruity, more applish than berrish. A light bodied wheat. More apple cider like than beer. No real malt or hop taste. Mouthfeel is full. Finish is clean. Aftertaste is fruity. After notes were taken, I noticed the best by date was Oct 2000. This beer was tasted nearly 30 month after that date. Will need to re-taste with a fresh beer.

2.58/5  rDev -26.9%

Brown 33 cl bottle. Best by date notched on label.

Pale yellowish with touches of orange. Creamy looking white head.

Smells tart, spritzy, & somewhat perfumey.

What starts off as a bland tasting fruit tinged wheat beer suddenly pops with what is presumeably the fruity flavour of gooseberries (sort of like tart grapes). Has a bit of a sour finish. Light body, moderate carbonation. Not really my sort of thing.

2.58/5  rDev -26.9%

Hazy orange color, two fingers of foam.
Fruit and some unknown herbs. Surely, spicy, with note more or less sweet, fresh and quite pleasant. Light tartness, also.
Kiwi?
Strange, and, after all, interesting and peculiar.
Same in the taste, with the sweet/tart mix. Maybe the gooseberry. But there is also something more herbal. Maybe sage?
Very difficult to describe. I miss the terms, I think. And also difficult to understand.
Surely peculiar.

2.6/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint. It's super clear with no head. Bubbles rise to the top. I'm already skeptical that I'm going to like this.

I don't know what gooseberries smell like, but I don't smell anything exotic here at all, just a weak wheat aroma. The mouth feel is thin and watery with virtually no flavor at all. The carbonation was a little refreshing. Tastes like a weak adjunct or Miller Lite without the corn. I don't know what I'm missing, but there's nothing here at all to like or dislike.

I was looking forward to something different that might stretch my palate a bit, but it was not to be. The label art is really cool.

2.6/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

11.2 oz /330 ml bottle served at Victoria Gastro Pub (Md.)

A - Slightly cloudy amber-yellow, light head

S - Grape?

T - Light sweetness, slightly Earthy flavor. Bit of a wet leaf flavor if that makes sense.

M/D - Decent carbonation, if too much. Stings tip of tongue a bit.

Don't know what to make of this ...

2.63/5  rDev -25.5%

11.2oz bottle purchased at The Cheese Monger's Shoppe in Leavenworth for $2.59. According to the label, this is good until June, 2006.

Poured a hazy straw color, with a small white head that dropped faster than the K.C. Royal's pennant hopes. VIrtually no lace.

Smell is of tart gooseberries (duh), along with a slight, earthy wheat odor.

Taste is dominated by tart gooseberries, which nevertheless don't terribly stand out. The wheat flavor is way, way in the background. There's a bland, sweet flavor of some kind as well that reminds me of corn. The flavor doesn't fade out at the swallow so much as it collapses. This could use some sort of hoppy bite at the end. Not horrible, but not very impressive tasting either.

This is a very light bodied ale - too light bodied, as this is rather watery. Not enough carbonation, either.

Not very impressed by this one. I've yet to have a spiced ale from the UK (or anywhere else for that matter) that has impressed me, despite not going in with any expectations. I think I'll give this style a wide berth from now on.

2.63/5  rDev -25.5%

A gimmicky concoction, Grozet Gooseberry Wheat Ale fails to engage.

It doesn't look too bad and the smell is okay but it has no taste of which to speak.

I could have been enjoying the Pinus Alba - a very good beer from the same brewery.

I seem to be a minority voice on the Grozet. I am also counted among the dissenters for the Ederberry and Heather offering, as well.

2.68/5  rDev -24.1%

Hazy yellow/orange body with little to no head. Looks rather still. Aroma is that of light pale malts. Very faint hoppy/earthy aroma. Not sure what the gooseberries do to this beer. All I am getting is a hoppy pale lager. Some earthy tones in the finish, but i feel as though this beer fell flat. Not bad, just nothing memorable.

2.73/5  rDev -22.7%

I purchased a 500ml bottle from the Good Food Boutique in Stornoway.

The beer poured nicely with a decent white head that left signs of lacing, the beer itself a straw-gold with a slight haze.

The nose was fresh hops and wheat with a faint note of citrus. This continued through to the taste with a slightly note of berries added to the citrus, but this was faint. Overall a bit boring.

The taste was clean and very refreshing, however it had almost no body at all, I've tasted commercially produced lagers with a thicker mouthfeel. The taste was not bad, just a bit bland, it reminded me of a lager and lime. This may not be bad in the middle of summer, but I sampled this beer on a dark, cold night with the rain beating heavily on the window. Not the right type for the occasion.

Ideal barbecue drink, would be great on a Mediterranean beach, but I like my beers to have a bit more body and flavours.

Grozet from Williams Brothers Brewing Company