Grozet - Williams Brothers Brewing Company

good

Williams Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scottish Gruit / Ancient Herbed Ale |  5.00% ABV

From the Gaelic "Groseid", Since at least the 16th century Scots monks and alewives brewed indigenous drinks from cereals, wild herbs and ripe fruits. Tibbie Shiels green Grozet was immortalised by such Scots literati as Sir Walter Scott, Jas Hogg. (The Ettrick shepherd) and Robert Burns whoconsidered it a most convivial drink. Brewed with lager malt, wheat, bog myrtle, hops and meadowsweet then secondary fermented with ripe Scottish gooseberries.

(Beer added by: canadianbarman on 09-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Grozet Alström Bros

Gottesverachter, May 26, 2014

Mr_Hoptimistic, Feb 09, 2014

lesdemonsamaporte, Feb 03, 2014

RevCraig, Jan 25, 2014
3.35/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Purchased 4-pack of Scottish historic ales from the LCBO. 1/4 is the Grozet, a gooseberry and wheat ale.

A - Light gold in colour with with minimal head retention.

S - Biscuity and meadow-sweet aroma with grassy and fruity notes. If I close my eyes I feel like i'm in a lush forest in the spring time.

T - The lager malts definitely come through. Slightly fruity flavour, although not as prevalent as I would have anticipated.

M - Crisp consistency with almost prickly carbonation and a quick finish.

O - Not overly impressed, but it is a very subtle drink - not one feature dominates. With that said, I expect this to be my least favourite in the 4-pack, mainly because it is brewed with lager malt, which I don't have a good palette for. With that said, others may come to a different conclusion.

Spesme, Jan 14, 2014
3.14/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

The last beer as part of the Williams Bros. 4 pack Sampler Pack. Served chilled.

Appearance - Clear pale mixture of golden and off-orange hues. Only 1/2 finger of frothy head with only Ok retention. Some bubbles rapidly rise to the surface.

Smell - Aromas of low-hanging fruit and rather floral. Tok a few whiffs and could get much more than that.

Taste - Quite fruity with a palpable dry taste and dry bitterness to the beer. Again well-disguised as I wasn't able to pick up much more than that.

Mouthfeel - Medium-low carbonation, dry finish and very soft feeling in the mouth as with other in this style. A bit fizzy feeling despite lower carbonation (although this works in favor of the beer here).

Overall - For whatever reason, I just didn't really enjoy this, one of those situations (to me at least) where the sum of the beer was less than the individual components. I think this is a beer worth revisiting, as I feel that I might evaluate this differently in the future, but i definitely found it to be the weakest beer of the sampler pack.

DenisKolkin, Jan 06, 2014

AngusOg, Dec 10, 2013

BillRoth, Dec 07, 2013

navband, Dec 05, 2013

nullbort, Nov 29, 2013

Vsarmatov, Nov 24, 2013
2.99/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

A: Pours a clear pale golden color with a 1/2 finger white head and good lace. Lots of visible carbonation in the glass.

S: Earthy and a touch musty with an evident ripe berry and fruit backbone. Kiwi, red currant, gooseberry and some wet hay. An almost fruit leather note in there as well.

T: I don't know, kind of just tastes like a weak wheat ale. Underwhelming to say the least. Light slightly sour wheat note that kind of just dies. Some grain, chalky yeast and, yeah, off-tasting wheat. That's about it. Damn it.

notchucknorris, Nov 20, 2013

Bandi, Nov 17, 2013
3.63/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

So I picked this up kind of on a whim when I went to the beer store (the best kind of store there is).
Pours a hazy thick orange/amber colour. more bubbles than really head, if that makes sense.
I can't decide how I feel about the aroma on this one. Theres a decidedly fermented characteristic to it that I take to be from the gooseberries. Some herbs and a touch of spice on the back end, but the pervasive characteristic is almost musty. Kind of reminds me of when I worked at a vineyard. Actually, that's the best description I can think of: musty fermented berries and white grapes. There's a hint of sweet somewhere in there as well.

It is sweeter than I expected, with honey being the first thing that hits me, then that musty white grape note comes back. It's sweeter on the tongue than on the nose, and the musty fermented aroma gives way to a fruitier flavour. I actually find myself kind of enjoying it, at least moreso than I expected.

The taste is a little... not quite watery, but trending in that direction (p value not within significance), but I can't say it's thin because it actually has a medium to chewy body, which I find quite appealing. After smelling it, I was concerned that this would be kind of stale and brackish on the tongue, but it's actually quite crisp and refreshing. I find myself pleasantly surprised, and would certainly consider it again.

kemoarps, Nov 10, 2013