Grozet - Williams Brothers Brewing Company

good

Williams Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scottish Gruit / Ancient Herbed Ale |  5.00% ABV

From the Gaelic "Groseid", Since at least the 16th century Scots monks and alewives brewed indigenous drinks from cereals, wild herbs and ripe fruits. Tibbie Shiels green Grozet was immortalised by such Scots literati as Sir Walter Scott, Jas Hogg. (The Ettrick shepherd) and Robert Burns whoconsidered it a most convivial drink. Brewed with lager malt, wheat, bog myrtle, hops and meadowsweet then secondary fermented with ripe Scottish gooseberries.

(Beer added by: canadianbarman on 09-12-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Grozet Alström Bros

Pours a light yellow color, slightly clouded with darker bits suspended sparsely throughout. A small white head that lingers on the the surface. Nice lacing follows.

Subtle citrus nose with spicy notes. Light and slightly carbonated. Refreshing, almostl lemony. A tangy balance with an unexpected complexity. Very drinkable. What's a gooseberry?

3.93/5  rDev +11.3%

Appearance: Pours a hazy honey color with a bubbly head that retains well but fails to leave much lacing

Smell: Wheat bread with a berry essence

Taste: Starts with a bready flavor that is joined by a building herbacious bitterness; well-balanced after the swallow with bitter and fruity flavors sustaining through into the finish

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Different, but refreshing; another nice one from this very interesting brewery

3.7/5  rDev +4.8%

A clear golden pour with no head. Interesting sweet nose with lots of berry and wheat. Very little carbonation that changed the flavor as it waned. It started sweet and had hints of cranberry sour at the end. After taste left me wanting to drink more. I like sour beers though. Good summer beer that is refreshing and simple.

3.23/5  rDev -8.5%

Heather Ale Grozet Gooseberry & Wheat Ale
12 oz bottle
Medium turning into hard pour in an English Pint
Best before 02/08, goosed 12/06

Poured a slightly hazy gold with absolutely no head and a little fizz. Hmmm...

Smelt of sweet gooseberries, or very tart blueberries, some light floweriness.

Taste was upfront moderate bittersweet gooseberry, bread malt and spices followed by a moderate bitter bread and grass taste on an average finish. Palate was light bodied, watery on a slightly dry finish, a bit flat on the carbonation, and light astringency.

Overall, I don't know why this sample was lacking carbonation. Every else smelled and tasted normal. I will chalk it up to a bad sample and move on. Thank god I love gooseberries, which was well displayed in this case, not too strong and not too weak. If I can get a guaranteed fresh and carbonated bottle I will have to try this again.

3.23/5  rDev -8.5%

Pours a light golden colour with little head.

Smells of gooseberries and heather. The gooseberry flavour dominates the taste, heather flavours are also present. The mouthfeel is soft with just the right amount of carbonation.

the overall drinkability is ok, but would only drink this beer occasionally, definitely not a session beer.

3.3/5  rDev -6.5%

Tasted this 500ml bottle on Nov 16th 06, best by 07 (purchased in Molloy's off licence, Dublin €3.75). Poured into a Duvel glass, thin head on a very nicely coloured (tan with orange hue) body. No haze.
Smelled pleasently aromatic; sweet fruits.
Taste was quite sweet. Too much sweetness for my liking. That is why I have only scored a 3 for taste, but the taste itself was far from average. Some hops trying to come through, but a little overcome by the sweetness. It reminded me of a honey beer from 't Smijse that I had.
Not a beer that I would have more than one of. Interesting brew.

2.9/5  rDev -17.8%

Golden-amber body with a frothy head - decent retention. Smell of cereal, some fruit, and of a lager. It doesn't have a skunk smell, but Heinekin came to mind after the smell. Body is light to medium. Taste of malt, some mild tartness, and a light hop bitterness. An average beer, fairly drinkable.

Smells a little like Mary Juana and tastes a little like I'd imagine it would taste. Yeah yeah, I'm the last homo sapien who hasn't done the weed or pill thing. Hence my miraculous ability to say nothing of substance about the taste of beer. Oh well. What a funky little beer. Nothing like the other two Heather beers I've had. A foggy medium color with a synergy of bitter and sweetness accompanied by a menthol like face plate that straps you in for the ride whether you like it or not. It doesn't quite do it for me.

3.55/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Never really had a goosenberry beer before, but kinda liked it. A dominant wheat character sets the tone of the beer, but the berries give a rich and bold twist. Smells sweet with lemons, cloves and with the berries giving a grape, licorice aroma. Tastes rich with bready, yeasty, lemons, bannanas, cloves and with the same rich berry taste that gives a complex raison, blackberry sweetness, spiciness, and tartness. The berries give off a character similar to Belgian Strong Dark malts. Interesting, but odd in a Wheat Beer. Feels rich and creamy but cut nicely by the tart berries. Sweet and tart in the finish. Interesting, but just a little too unusual to rate highly.

3.68/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured a bright golden ale into the glass with a 3 finger rocky cap that laces well.

Aromas of cracked grain and botanicals with a wonderful musty-woody tone.

Primal malt spine, medium body, herbal-herbacious malty character in a mellow lagered capsule.

As advertised: frontside is a montage of hard cereals, wild botanicals and a nice hop presense...carries through and developes mid palate...finishes wet with a nice mellon-like taste.

The brewer has obviously acheived their objective of mingling native Sctotish herbs/plants with traditional brews...very nice delivery.

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

best before end of Jan. 2007 - drank in early October 2006.
Served chilled -- as per directions on label.

Pours hazy orange/yellow with a thin white head that immediately disappears to a thin patch and a thin ring - okay color (label states to expect haziness), but disappointing head retention.

The smell is of perfumy herbs and toasted wheat grain.

A wheat crisness and herbal tang upfront. It's medicinal, but not really in a bad way - it's an herbal tea-like medicinal flavoring. A mix of blended earthy spices and some breadiness are present. More tangy than bitter. Sweetness is minimal.

A spritzy, medium body holds up pretty well.

It's most distinguishing characteristic is its uniqueness. Not really my thing - a little too herbal and medicinal for my personal taste, but that's to be expected for style. Worth drinking for something different.

3.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: No idea what to expect when I pour it... Pours a fairly normal color for an ale, kind of a honey color, very clear... Below average head, but good retention.

Smell: I had kind of assumed this was a pure gruit, without any hops, but as soon as it was poured into the glass, I could detect a hint of hops aroma, and sure enough it's listed as an ingredient. Aroma is fruity, with a hint of promised acidity - vinous? Fairly reminiscent of more mainstream wheat beers. With some caramel malt, as well, I think.

Taste: Slight berry flavor on the tip of the tongue, with the light flavor of wheat, and an herbal finish that I can't exactly place (label indicates bogmyrtle and meadowsweet, whatever those are). Earthiness and acidity can be noted as well, maybe tea-like tannins? Whether it's the hops or one of the other herbs, it's enough to balance the sweetness of the malt and berries. Finishes nicely dry.

Mouthfeel: "Soft" mouthfeel, if that makes sense, with a light-medium body. Carbonation seems just about right.

Drinkability: Surprisingly drinkable. A tad on the light side perhaps, but it's still flavorful and interesting, so the lightness helps drinkability if anything.

3.4/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle has freshness date April 2007. The beer pours a light gold colour with a small rim around the glass for a head.

Gooseberries are definitely apparent in the nose, but heather is rather more so. This is well carbonated with a rather dry feel. The start and finish exhibit a delightful heathery, halfway between flowery and piney flavour with more than a hint of gooseberry involved inbetween. It certainly isn't as sharp as I would expect a beer involving gooseberry to be.

This is not as rich as the same brewer's Fraoch heather ale but certainly a pleasant and interesting diversion from the normal ales I quaff.

4.08/5  rDev +15.6%

Pours a hazey light golden color with a slight head.

Aoma of sweet goosberry is the first scent you notice with a little maltiness as well.

The goosberry flavors take center stage in this brew along with the typical citrus flavors from a wheat ale.

All in all a very good ale with a unique flavor that is pretty smooth.

3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

12oz. bottle

Pours a slightly hazed straw color with a hint of orange. Has a thing white head that maintains. Mild lacing on the glass.

Smells lightly of berries and herbs. No malt or hops detected.

Taste of berries upfront with a slightly malty and herbal taste the follows. Finishes slightly sweet.

Light body, nice carbonation.

An interesting brew, and quite enjoyable. Nice for a change of gears once and a while.

3.1/5  rDev -12.2%

Pours cloudy golden yellow with a thin soapy ring for a head.

Smell is balanced honey sweet apricot fruitiness and a strong sour aroma. Virtually no malt or hop qualities.

Taste is similiar to the nose, but much sweeter. Definite honey mead quality. Finish has a bit of resinous piney flavor for a bit of peppery spice bitterness. Lingering sweetness

Mouthfeel is light bodied.

Overall this beer is unusual and interesting. Worth the experience but a little too sweet for my pallet.

3.65/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured a cloudy light orange with a small white head.

Smelled like slightly sour dark berries, and grapes.

Taste is very herbal and spicy with a slight bit of light malts and a subtle hint of dark berries. Finishes with a spicy nutmeg and cinnamon taste with a slight pine like hop bitterness. Very different, but not to bad.

Mouthfeel is light with a very dry finish.

Not to bad overall, would enjoy drinking this again. Very different.

1.43/5  rDev -59.5%

First impression-- appearance like lemon water; smell like a lovely bouquet of grape and flowers; taste like watered-down turpentine.

My wife's interested first (and final) reaction to her "sure I'll try the Gooseberry" - "BLEHHH" as she permanently sat it aside. Oh-- she corrects me and notes that she also said, "It sure doesn't taste like gooseberry!" She's absolutely correct-- this has no excitement or fruity flavor as might a flavored Kriek. There's gooseberry in the nose, but you won't find much hint of it in the taste.

I'm glad to see that some epicurian affectionados seem to rate this highly. It's nice to read the interesting historical notes given for this beer. My first, middle and final impression echoes my wife's-- BLEHHH. Even for a wheat-beer, it's not very good, in my opinion. The only exotic beer that I've had which this might resemble (and was even worse), was the Rodenbach, whose slogan is "you either love it or you hate it." I was in the latter group. I was sick for 6 hours, after having it on-tap.

You can check my other reviews and see that I do, indeed, enjoy good and interesting and exotic beers. Not this one.

4.25/5  rDev +20.4%

Pours an ever so slightly hashy, orangish-gold, abiet slightly green, straw color. Has a small white head, that quickly dissapates, giving away to very thin lacing. Smells wine-like, more like grapes then gooseberries. After that, herbs of some sort are probably the next most noticable thing, along with a hint of wheat and malt.

Tastes more herbal then anything. Almost tea-like with some grape-ish qualities. Sweet at first, before turning slightly tart, it finishes kind of dry. Malts and wheat seems to be somewhere in there as well, but the herbal tea quality of thism is definitely the most dominate flavor. Fairly drinkable, with a smooth, medium-body.

3.7/5  rDev +4.8%

Pale golden / light straw colored in appearance, head is evanescent. Aroma is notably fruity up front, estery and vinous with hints of green apples, pears, and green grapes. Herbal qualities to the nose, as well as a bit of grass. Some pale malt in the nose, as well as the typical wheat aroma, along with very slight yeastiness. Flavor is smooth up front, but the grainy wheat comes in quickly, coupled with a lingering bready malt flavor that is felt more than tasted. Overall impression of the flavor is its herbal quality. Fruit comes in a flash of sweetness, but quickly moves to a slighly acidic flavor that lasts into the aftertaste, causing a minor drying effect, along with a bit of sourness. Much more tea-like than wine-like. A bit of spiciness balances the acidity, and mixes with the returning wheat flavor. Another interesting & ancient brew from Heather Ale.

2.98/5  rDev -15.6%

Pours a hazy orange-ish color with a quarter inch head that fades quickly to a thin, spotty cap, leaving behind only a little lacing.

Smell; there's a kind of graininess in the smell, along with a berry aroma that I can only assume is gooseberries. It's also has a very herbal quality to it.

Taste; very herbal with a somewhat weet profile from the gooseberries. The wheat doesn't quite stand out as much as I would have liked, and there's a strange aftertaste, that I can't quite place, that I'm not really enjoying. Mouthfeel is on the thin side, and the aftertaste makes this a bit hard for me to drink. This is something that I won't be seeking out again.

3.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11.2 oz bottle. Pours a murkey oranged khaki color with just a minimal head that falls to sparse wisps over top of the brew. This one is pretty hazy, with no apparent carbonation. Nose is definately fruity, what I have to assume is gooseberry, with a light spiceyness playing in there. Flavor is a nice blend between a good fruityness that fades to a moderately creamy and lightly spicey wheat character. I don't think that gooseberry is ever going to be a favorite fruit in my book, as the flavor is just not my bag. It doesn't seem flawed, I just don't enjoy it as much as I could. Feel is moderate with just a hint of carbonation. I'd like a little more bubble in this one, as it would add some sharpness that I think would work well with the flavor. Overall, this one is okay. I don't think I would do gooseberries in a beer, but if I hadn't tried this one, I'd never know that. Good show for giving it a try.

4.03/5  rDev +14.2%

This one pours a clear amber with a big billowy white head that sticks around for a while. There is some good lacing.

The aroma is of wheat malt and what I presume to be a gooseberry aroma. It smells sort of like mulberry.

The flavor is of wheat malt with some dry fruitiness. The fruit presence is almost like a mulberry mixed with juniper.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation.

This is a very drinkable beer. I will go back to this one.

2.25/5  rDev -36.3%

My label wasn't metal like the one in the picture here, but that's ok. Cool to see that a uni. art class designed it though. Best before June 07. OK, good..

Open, pour... erm.. Poured a golden yellow color, a bit hazy, with a susdy-white head, sort of looked like the bubbles in a sinkful of dishwater. Eh.

Smelled like a big skunk sat on my nose and got scared. I mean SKUNKY. This, from a brown bottle in a decent store. Hmm.. Also got some herbs in there, rosemary I think. I don't like rosemary, so that didn't help to distract me from the skunk.

It did not taste too skunky at all, somehow. It tasted a bit fruity, I suppose those gooseberries (I don't know what gooseberries are), if I thought about it enough there was a generic berry flavor in there though, but very very faint. It was also herbal, again I picked up rosemary, and that didn't make me happy. It also tasted grainy, like corn or something less-than desirable. I do believe I made an icky face upon tasting this.

Mouthfeel was thin, moderately carbonated, and just bland. Not drinkable for me, I had to pass this one off to my mom, who liked it lots. Otherwise it would've been a drain pour.

3.25/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A: I would've sworn that this was a Long Island Ice Tea. Pours a murky yellowish-brownish-orange with a small frothy head. Specks of lacing line the glass.

S: Very unusual smell with a potpourri of spices and a unique berry aroma

T: Somewhat sweet with citrusy flavors and unidentifiable herbs and spices. I can't help but wonder exactly what the hell they threw in the brew kettle.

M: Light in body and carbonation with a watery finish

D: This has to be the most unique beverage that I've ever had, and I have no idea as to what to think about it yet. Is it bad? No. Is it good? I'm not sure. Is it worth trying? Absolutely.

Grozet from Williams Brothers Brewing Company