Grozet - Williams Brothers Brewing Company

good

Williams Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scottish Gruit / Ancient Herbed Ale |  5.00% ABV

From the Gaelic "Groseid", Since at least the 16th century Scots monks and alewives brewed indigenous drinks from cereals, wild herbs and ripe fruits. Tibbie Shiels green Grozet was immortalised by such Scots literati as Sir Walter Scott, Jas Hogg. (The Ettrick shepherd) and Robert Burns whoconsidered it a most convivial drink. Brewed with lager malt, wheat, bog myrtle, hops and meadowsweet then secondary fermented with ripe Scottish gooseberries.

(Beer added by: canadianbarman on 09-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Grozet Alström Bros
tallar

4.25/5  rDev +20.7%

Pours an ever so slightly hashy, orangish-gold, abiet slightly green, straw color. Has a small white head, that quickly dissapates, giving away to very thin lacing. Smells wine-like, more like grapes then gooseberries. After that, herbs of some sort are probably the next most noticable thing, along with a hint of wheat and malt.

Tastes more herbal then anything. Almost tea-like with some grape-ish qualities. Sweet at first, before turning slightly tart, it finishes kind of dry. Malts and wheat seems to be somewhere in there as well, but the herbal tea quality of thism is definitely the most dominate flavor. Fairly drinkable, with a smooth, medium-body.

06-23-2006 02:01:05 | More by tallar
BeerFink

3.7/5  rDev +5.1%

Pale golden / light straw colored in appearance, head is evanescent. Aroma is notably fruity up front, estery and vinous with hints of green apples, pears, and green grapes. Herbal qualities to the nose, as well as a bit of grass. Some pale malt in the nose, as well as the typical wheat aroma, along with very slight yeastiness. Flavor is smooth up front, but the grainy wheat comes in quickly, coupled with a lingering bready malt flavor that is felt more than tasted. Overall impression of the flavor is its herbal quality. Fruit comes in a flash of sweetness, but quickly moves to a slighly acidic flavor that lasts into the aftertaste, causing a minor drying effect, along with a bit of sourness. Much more tea-like than wine-like. A bit of spiciness balances the acidity, and mixes with the returning wheat flavor. Another interesting & ancient brew from Heather Ale.

06-04-2006 02:40:01 | More by BeerFink
RedHaze

Nebraska

2.98/5  rDev -15.3%

Pours a hazy orange-ish color with a quarter inch head that fades quickly to a thin, spotty cap, leaving behind only a little lacing.

Smell; there's a kind of graininess in the smell, along with a berry aroma that I can only assume is gooseberries. It's also has a very herbal quality to it.

Taste; very herbal with a somewhat weet profile from the gooseberries. The wheat doesn't quite stand out as much as I would have liked, and there's a strange aftertaste, that I can't quite place, that I'm not really enjoying. Mouthfeel is on the thin side, and the aftertaste makes this a bit hard for me to drink. This is something that I won't be seeking out again.

05-28-2006 00:13:48 | More by RedHaze
kmpitz2

Tennessee

3.6/5  rDev +2.3%

11.2 oz bottle. Pours a murkey oranged khaki color with just a minimal head that falls to sparse wisps over top of the brew. This one is pretty hazy, with no apparent carbonation. Nose is definately fruity, what I have to assume is gooseberry, with a light spiceyness playing in there. Flavor is a nice blend between a good fruityness that fades to a moderately creamy and lightly spicey wheat character. I don't think that gooseberry is ever going to be a favorite fruit in my book, as the flavor is just not my bag. It doesn't seem flawed, I just don't enjoy it as much as I could. Feel is moderate with just a hint of carbonation. I'd like a little more bubble in this one, as it would add some sharpness that I think would work well with the flavor. Overall, this one is okay. I don't think I would do gooseberries in a beer, but if I hadn't tried this one, I'd never know that. Good show for giving it a try.

05-23-2006 02:59:34 | More by kmpitz2
Brian700

4.03/5  rDev +14.5%

This one pours a clear amber with a big billowy white head that sticks around for a while. There is some good lacing.

The aroma is of wheat malt and what I presume to be a gooseberry aroma. It smells sort of like mulberry.

The flavor is of wheat malt with some dry fruitiness. The fruit presence is almost like a mulberry mixed with juniper.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation.

This is a very drinkable beer. I will go back to this one.

05-12-2006 03:08:15 | More by Brian700
erica

2.25/5  rDev -36.1%

My label wasn't metal like the one in the picture here, but that's ok. Cool to see that a uni. art class designed it though. Best before June 07. OK, good..

Open, pour... erm.. Poured a golden yellow color, a bit hazy, with a susdy-white head, sort of looked like the bubbles in a sinkful of dishwater. Eh.

Smelled like a big skunk sat on my nose and got scared. I mean SKUNKY. This, from a brown bottle in a decent store. Hmm.. Also got some herbs in there, rosemary I think. I don't like rosemary, so that didn't help to distract me from the skunk.

It did not taste too skunky at all, somehow. It tasted a bit fruity, I suppose those gooseberries (I don't know what gooseberries are), if I thought about it enough there was a generic berry flavor in there though, but very very faint. It was also herbal, again I picked up rosemary, and that didn't make me happy. It also tasted grainy, like corn or something less-than desirable. I do believe I made an icky face upon tasting this.

Mouthfeel was thin, moderately carbonated, and just bland. Not drinkable for me, I had to pass this one off to my mom, who liked it lots. Otherwise it would've been a drain pour.

04-27-2006 14:54:07 | More by erica
klewis

3.25/5  rDev -7.7%

A: I would've sworn that this was a Long Island Ice Tea. Pours a murky yellowish-brownish-orange with a small frothy head. Specks of lacing line the glass.

S: Very unusual smell with a potpourri of spices and a unique berry aroma

T: Somewhat sweet with citrusy flavors and unidentifiable herbs and spices. I can't help but wonder exactly what the hell they threw in the brew kettle.

M: Light in body and carbonation with a watery finish

D: This has to be the most unique beverage that I've ever had, and I have no idea as to what to think about it yet. Is it bad? No. Is it good? I'm not sure. Is it worth trying? Absolutely.

03-28-2006 02:32:47 | More by klewis
mrasskicktastic

2.45/5  rDev -30.4%

A - Hazy lemon yellow with almost no head.

S - Light sour floral or fruit smell, not very pleasant, but very weak.

T - A light wheat malt and tart fruit flavor with a touch of sourness. A mild tart/bitter finish.

M - Sort of thin and a bit viscous, refreshing.

D - Well, it isn't hard to drink, but there really isn't much to it. The flavor is weak, but if it were any stronger it wouldn't be pleasant at all. The smell would be nigh unbearable if it were stronger. I would get sick of it after a few. A subpar beverage this is.

03-16-2006 05:45:58 | More by mrasskicktastic
BigBry

Alberta (Canada)

3.73/5  rDev +6%

Tall, thin brown bottle. 50cl with BB date clipped into back label.
Pours a hazy golden yellow, hardly any head or lacing. According to the back label: For maximum drinking pleasure, Grozet should be served cold. You might notice a slight haze once chilled due to natural fruit and cereal proteins. - It's hazy so I must have at the right temp. Smell of gooseberries and some citrus fruit as well. Nice aromas, not overpowering. Taste is quite light and slightly fruity. Again the gooseberries come through - slightl sour and tart. Slight bit of hops and a touch of yeast in the finish. Flavors are all there, nothing overpowers the other, overall well balanced. Well carbonated, but not fizzy, make it crisp and a bit dry. Light tasting, refreshing.
My first beer of this style, and was quite unique, especially with the gooseberry flavor.

02-24-2006 22:33:54 | More by BigBry
montageman

3.23/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured from a 11.2 oz. bottle into a glass mug. A bit of head that stuck around for a little while then disappears with little to no lacing.

Moderately amber in color, very sweet smelling - gooseberries are immediately noticeable. The berries are also heavily noticeable in the taste and the finish is citrusy. A nice brew, nothing spectacular. This would be nice in the summer as it is quite refreshing.

02-22-2006 03:03:33 | More by montageman
nouseforotacon

Connecticut

4.15/5  rDev +17.9%

330ml/11.2 Fl oz. bottle, best before 6/2006.

This one poured out a swirl of carbonated bubbles that formed a creamy white head with good retention. The body was cloudy with visible sediments, dark blood-orange like color that pales as it warms. Interesting appearance.

The smell was STRONG, gooseberries definitely present, dry and doughy malt aroma also heavy. Some wheat/straw presence in the aroma. Very rich.

The taste is, again, strong berries with some light diacetyl notes. Taste of nectarines gives a little tartness. This one was warm and refreshing, light body but not terribly watered down, with slight carbonation in the mouthfeel. Also, aftertaste was a bit doughy from the malts, wheat presence resurfaced.

I had good expectations for this one, and they were surprisingly met. This is a good brew for all seasons - light and refreshing, with enough body and character to keep your palate interested. Recommended.

02-19-2006 21:04:15 | More by nouseforotacon
IrishRedRock

4.08/5  rDev +15.9%

Hazy gold, thin frothy lace. Buttery, herbal-tea nose with just a hint of the wily and elusive gooseberry. This particular berry flavor follows through more in the flavor, and balances the bitterness from the herbs oh so very nicely. Dry and grassy at first, but does yield quite a strong malt profile considering the other flavors going on here. Reminds me very much of Heavyweight's Juhlia, and even moreso? A real Snakebite like you'd get in a real Irish pub, complete with the black currant on top, though certainly not that sweet. Carbonation is a bit lacking but I'd barely noticed due to the overall enjoyment factor I'm getting from this. Quite refreshing and an easy drinker for sure. One which I'd certainly quaff innumerable amounts. Cheers to the Scots!

02-17-2006 03:59:55 | More by IrishRedRock
tgbljb

3.55/5  rDev +0.9%

poured a slightly hazy medium amber color with modet white head that rapidly fell to a thin ring. Smell is very difficult to describe. At first I thought it had a wine-like scent, then again maybe it was lime-like. Maybe this is what a goosebeery smells like?? I like it but i'm not sure why. Taste is very ordinary with maybe some medicinal?? notes. Very unique. Finish is very thin and a the flavor quickly dissapears. An OK beer, but not really something to try again.

02-09-2006 01:13:03 | More by tgbljb
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

A: Murky golden-yellow, pours with a little white head, which quickly dissipates. Almost looks like it could've been brewed in the middle ages.

S: Gooseberries! (with a little bready malt).

T: Balanced slightly to the sweet side, with an acidic tang in the aftertaste. Like a slice of bread covered in gooseberry jam! (though not THAT sweet).

M: Moderate body with a lower than average carbonation. Could use some more carbonation.

D: Fruit aroma is enticing, easily approachable, not too filling, and not too fruity.

02-08-2006 23:47:58 | More by Derek
asabreed

3.98/5  rDev +13.1%

33 cl. bottle into a pint glass

Appearance: Hazy golden yellow, with hardly any head or lacing to speak of. Color's nice, though.

Smell: Lots of herbs, citrus, and the hint of what I imagine to be gooseberries. Smells like possible articifical sugars also, unless that's some candied malt or something.

Taste: Light, sugary sweet at first, then it dies down into some lemon-like dryness and finishes that way on the palate. I wish the finish was longer, but this is pretty decent stuff, especially for my second stab at the style. Slightest bit of hops maybe, but it's not extremely sugary or malty. That said, it's not extremely complex either, but I dig it. It's such a weird style that I welcome the newness to the taste buds, also. And there's also good balance.

Mouthfeel: Pretty thin-seeming at first, but it turns out to be fairly full with the sugars and malt I think, and the carbonation's fairly light. Almost like a fuller spritzer with less carbonation? Fairly odd, maybe, but I dig it, especially for this style, as it fits well.

Drinkability: I think this is the first time I can say I've had gooseberries before, even though technically it's not physical gooseberries. Still, a beer that I'd suggest to try, as this is not something you encounter every day. But it's good, tasty, and thirst quenching. It's always good to keep your taste buds in check and flexible, too.

01-27-2006 02:47:43 | More by asabreed
russpowell

Oklahoma

3.38/5  rDev -4%

BBD Jan 07

Poured clear golden with a white flurry head. Light lacing and head retention

Smell: Malted wheat and floral notes

Taste: Dryness upfront and then a honey-like sweetness, floaral notes, and spices: Ginger and brwon sugar

MF: A little to prickly and thin for my palate

This didn't really come together for me. A little to sweet and cloying. Bet you it went like gang busters a few 100 years ago

01-24-2006 02:55:14 | More by russpowell
crwills

3.53/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured into a standard pint glass. Very hazy and dark yellow/gold, with a small head that dissipates quickly.

Unusual smell, although this is one of the first beers of this style I've tried. Overripe fruits and melon predominated, as well as a bit of skunk. Also present are some root vegetable traces (squash or turnip), and some grass and weedy flowers.

Taste is unusually close to the smell. Usually there's a big shift in perception on the first sip, I find, but in this case the taste is quite matched with the smell. Very flowery up front (clover and other wild, weedy flowers), as well as some damp, very ripe fruit, and a mild fruity aftertaste.

Not something I'd drink on regular basis, but great to try and definitely worth looking up for something different.

01-21-2006 20:15:55 | More by crwills
scooter231

1.2/5  rDev -65.9%

Clear clear clear golden color. Pretty but a bit boring. Smells like... stale cigarettes. With lemon. Yeah... so... um... Taste- better. But better isn't really good. Tastes like dirt. Stinky cigarette-infused dirt. Mouthfeel feels kinda dirty, too. Grainy and not smooth. Not that drinkable. It just... it's dirt. This is beer dirt. Dirt beer. Yech. And it's fresh, it says it's fresh... this must be a big burly man Scot beer.

01-17-2006 05:55:40 | More by scooter231
allergictomacros

3.38/5  rDev -4%

A - Slightly hazy orange with a small head and little head retention.

S - Has a bit of a fruity smell. I'm not familiar with gooseberries so I can't say if that's what it is. Sweet and tart, maybe a bit bready.

T - Dryer than I expected. Mild hoppy finish. Not especially flavourful.

M - Medium bodied.

D - Easy to drink, good everyday beer (if it was easier to find/cheaper).This beer isn't going to spur the microbrewed grozet revolution, but it's interesting.

01-07-2006 23:58:28 | More by allergictomacros
RealityDeviant

3.95/5  rDev +12.2%

Presentation: 11.2 oz. brown bottle as part of a pre-Christmas present from a “Historic Ales of Scotland” gift box. The notches in the label indicate that it is best before the end of February 2007. For a seemingly light-bodied beer with a low ABV, I must note that I’m surprised at that estimate.

Appearance: The beer pours a slightly hazy but bright amber color, verging on straw. It leaves a relatively light, white head that quickly reduces to a lace around the rim.

Smell: The overall smell doesn’t seem to be terribly strong in this brew, but after close inspection it seems that notes of wheat, fruit (gooseberries and overripe citrus), and herbs. I detected a honey-like undertone in the aroma, but nothing is overwhelming.

Taste: The flavors of berries and wheat seem to be strongest in this brew, with the faint hint of honey and spice lingering in the background. There’s a little sour kick towards the end. Overall, this is delicate and fruity.

Mouthfeel: Definitely a light-bodied beer, although the little tartness to it seems to give it a fuller flavor. There’s something more to the mouthfeel, though, beyond the sourness. It seems a little like a young, red wine—tannic.

Drinkability: A brew that’s easy to drink and with such an ABV and low bitterness, has the makings of a decent session brew. It certainly did go down smoothly enough.

Notes: I find this one both unusual and highly unique. I’m glad that I tried it once, but I’m not sure I’d revisit it for awhile. In spite of the high drinkability, I usually prefer something with more complexity. However, any beer aficionado should give it a shot, especially if you can find the whole gift set it’s included in.

12-21-2005 07:33:54 | More by RealityDeviant
BamaScholar

Tennessee

3.53/5  rDev +0.3%

it is hard, with this style, to review within the style...i think i favor the fraoch offering over this, but here are some notes...

poured a cloudy topaz with champagne bubbles from slender brown bottle: best by feb. 2007. bubbles dissipated, no head.

smell is very nice...floral, a little musky, a little sour and bready (the yeast, presume?)

taste is similar but not as balanced. sour and watery herb/floral component is really all i find. i can see the malt being a lager malt because its pretty wimpy too. not altogether bad, just one-dimensional.

as i said its thin on the mouth though carbonation is just right.

not a bad beer, not great. i'll try the kelpie next and continue to let the style work on me.

12-18-2005 18:29:04 | More by BamaScholar
jakester

3.88/5  rDev +10.2%

Thanks, Amber

I had this as a single at Union Jack's on the Manatawny. I drank it in a tulip glass.

Pours a hazy golden orange with a 1/2 finger head of off-white foam. The head falls very quickly, with almost no lacing. Carbonation looks fairly active.

Aroma is very light and citrusy from wheat. There is also a detectable smell of spices, slightly piney, with (I guess) the smell of gooseberries coming through as it warms. Very light herbal hops comes through late.

Flavor is very light and fruity, with a nice citrusy tang on your tongue. The fruit flavor is delicate, but pleasant, according to style. Spices and gooseberry flavor come through much better as this approaches 55 degrees, and the sweetness is more noticeable. No real hop character in the taste.

Mouthfeel is light bodied, with a medium level of carbonation. It's kind of champagne-like, but not as carbonated. Finish is short and slightly sweet.

This is definitely a slammer. It's not real complex, and I would personally like more of everything, but for the style, it's damn good. Recommended.

12-09-2005 17:09:42 | More by jakester
wl0307

United Kingdom (England)

3.1/5  rDev -11.9%

Served in a weissbier glass.
A: slightly hazy dark orangey golden hue, looking like kristalklar weizen actually, especially in my weissbier glass... constant fizz detected, but no beer head is produced no matter how carefully I pour this beer.
S: most unusual smell... gooseberry and elderberry juice for sure, some coriander as well, slightly menthol, grass, and sour prune... overall fruity and wild-flowery. Different, pleasant enough, despite being a bit thin on the nose.
T: very soft texture of light malts plus a thin-bodied gooseberry juice flavour and a slightly medicinal/phenol taste; very lightly floral hops at the back, while the finish is rather short and thin. Actually there're some more elements on the palate I simply fail to pinpoint, but they don't really stand out and make just a little contribution to the overall pleasantness.
M: pretty light and thin on the mouthfeel, with a slightly spicy sting at the back, but apart from that, the fruity palate is very flat and tart indeed.
D: personally I find it very interesting, but not so much as enjoyable, almost like fermented juice w/o the sweet edge. Need to try more of its kind to get used to it I suppose.

11-21-2005 10:54:16 | More by wl0307
jayc333

3.53/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a clear golden yellow with no head to speak of. Since there isn't the usually burst of bubbles going to the top of the glass, I'm guessing this won't be very carbonated.

Smells very fruity, with hints of wheat. Very nice.

Very clean fruit and wheat taste. Also, quite nice.

Like most beers of the style, goes down incredibly smooth with ease. As assumed earlier, barely any carbonation.

Not much to look at, but this a prime example of not judging a book by its cover. Recommended.

11-20-2005 03:19:57 | More by jayc333
CAMRAhardliner

4.05/5  rDev +15.1%

Pours a slightly hazy blond color with a minimal head and less than average lace. The aroma is of Spices and herbs with some wheat malt. The taste is gingery, with some spruce, wheat and fruity notes. Any berry flavors are very subdued. Hops are low key and mingle well with other spices in the finish. The mouthfeel is light and pleasantly carbonated.

This is a good spiced ale from Heather. Its definitely worth a try, very unique and good use of unconventional ingredients.

11-17-2005 03:41:34 | More by CAMRAhardliner