Grozet - Williams Brothers Brewing Company

good

Williams Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scottish Gruit / Ancient Herbed Ale |  5.00% ABV

From the Gaelic "Groseid", Since at least the 16th century Scots monks and alewives brewed indigenous drinks from cereals, wild herbs and ripe fruits. Tibbie Shiels green Grozet was immortalised by such Scots literati as Sir Walter Scott, Jas Hogg. (The Ettrick shepherd) and Robert Burns whoconsidered it a most convivial drink. Brewed with lager malt, wheat, bog myrtle, hops and meadowsweet then secondary fermented with ripe Scottish gooseberries.

(Beer added by: canadianbarman on 09-12-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Grozet Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev +10.5%

This one pours a cloudy gold color with a medium white head that dies off quickly and leaves a little bit of lacing on the glass.

The aroma is sweet and spicy with a little bit of berry. Gooseberrys ... what is a gooseberry? Anyway...

The flavor is nice. Some malts and wheat with a certain sweetness that is light on the tongue, and the berries add a little to the flavor.

The feel is a little thin, but still enjoyable and easy to drink. I'm still trying to figure out what a gooseberry is.

2.17/5  rDev -38.5%

330ml Bottle
$1.99/bottle

Pours out a cloudy, pale, urine color with virtually no head. The aroma is a subtle wheat with a fruity background. The taste is definately different, and I am not so sure that is a good thing this time. There is nothing as far as taste goes. It is extremely flat tasting and the wheat presence almost seems rotten and stale. There is a bit of sourness followed by a dry, earthy, dirt-textured taste. I cannot think of anything positive to say about it. Glad that I got a chance to try this style of beer, but my god, this stuff is pretty bad.

3.95/5  rDev +11.9%

Best before date: 8/05 notched on the label.

Now this is a strange beer. Very light in color – slightly hazy and pale orangey yellow in color. A thin creamy white head formed atop the beer - quickly filmed, then disappeared. The aroma is sour, bitter tannic. Weird, but pleasant aroma of fruits or berries – I guess gooseberries, but hard to pin down. Like a tart cordial with a few dashes of lemon extract added. The taste is sour, light and very flavorful. Tastes like floral honeysuckle nectar and rose water. The beer has a light body of malt, but I don’t consider it a negative aspect. After a few more sips, a light bulb turns on above my head and I finally realize what this tastes like – A gin and tonic. That’s it. Almost like a hybrid between a sour lambic and a G & T with fresh lime. There’s a sharp quinine-like bitterness, similar to tonic water along with a tart fruitiness.

Very interesting and refreshing. I found myself enjoying this.

1.93/5  rDev -45.3%

I was rather excited to try this one, as much as I love the wheat beers. Poured a very cloudy amber color. No head, just some little bubbles around the edge. It looked thick, like a really good apple cider. You know the kind you get on those side stands in the mountains. Smelled sweet, fruit like. Apple-ish, but not apples. I thought the taste would be as cool, but yuck. Very tangy, almost spoiled tasting, like spoiled green apples with pepper, lots of carbonation, but where's the head? Not a good feeling in the mouth, I can't help but wonder if this beer is any good. It's expiration date is June of this year. But surely it's still good. I let this sit on the counter, and it got somewhat warm, it is a little better than cold, but I think I'm going to have to dump this one down the drain. Man, what a dissapointment! I think I'll try somethiing else.

3.53/5  rDev 0%

Pours a cloudy orange-leathery brown, filled with lots of miniscule bubble steams. Topped with a two finger foamy white head, leaves partial bands of lace.
Strong, spicy and floral aroma, strong berry note - I guess it's the gooseberry, grape skin and lemon.
Sweet taste, berry - sort of a sour strawberry and blueberry, tangy offset to the sweetness, some floral quality but thats about it.
Light bodied, very different and interesting, but not something I'd drink very often.

3.63/5  rDev +2.8%

Cloudy gold with a Bright white head.
Sweet berry nose.
Body is light and fizzy, similar to a cider.
Kicks in up front with a sweet berry flavor that takes its time clearing to a wheat base.
Finishes long and sweet.
Light and easily drinkable for kids of all ages.

3.88/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours a bit cloudy, light brown color. Slim amount of foam that does not last all that long.
Not a heavy aroma, i actually expected more...you get malt, a light sweetness like a hint of berries.
A good pleasant flavor, wheat notes and malt hints. Fruit subleties that go from sweet to a slight tartness in the finish. If it were sweeter and not so thin (not that it is watery) it could be a desert beer. I do not think I would have this with a meal. Maybe some cheese or pie.

Hard to describe the aroma of this beer - tangy and citric - I'm tempted to say lemony, but that's not quite it. Bright and lively flavor. I was expecting this to be pretty sweet, but there was just a tinge of sweetness, with a hint of red berry in the middle. A little powdery at the end, and a fairly pronounced bittersweetness that meshed well with the fadeout of the berry notes. Unlike any wheat or fruit beer I've had - an interesting excursion.

3.03/5  rDev -14.2%

Pours golden with a white head. The aroma is somewhat sweet and fruity, with a spicy, peppery smell along with wheat. The flavor is sweet and druity. It is a very unusal flavor, it must be the gooseberries. It has a solid malt backbone. It is light in body and finishes sweet. Avery unusual brew, but good.

Sampled 4/29/04

3.53/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Best before May 2005... I'm wondering how far out they make the Best By dates...
Appearance is very nice, light amber, slight haze, very nice little head and lacing. Smell is predominantly wheat, with a little strangeness that I'm presuming is the Gooseberry et.al. natural flavoring... Taste is rather interesting, still mostly wheat but with a sour, slightly vinous note... maybe more like a cider or dry white wine... Mouthfeel is sweeter and stickier than I expected. Drinkability is good, it's easy enough to drink, I'm just not sure if I'd want more than one or two...
Overall, it's certainly interesting, I'm glad I tried it and I'm looking forward to the other brews in the pack, but not something I'd go out of my way to try again in the near future.

2.93/5  rDev -17%

This is the last beer remaining from a boxed set my wife bought me for an anniversary gift (God I love her... she buys me beer for a gift!).

Pours out a dark straw color (is it possible for dark and straw to coexist?) with a minimal head that disappears extremely quickly. It left only a few specs behind... not really a collar and definitely no lacing to speak of. Smell is odd to me. I think its probably gooseberries, but then again I'm not sure what a gooseberry is! Not unpleasant, but not particularly impressive. Taste is also quite interesting. Definitely malty, but it seems to be overtaken by the berry flavor. Very sweet, but has a lingering tartness in the aftertaste. I again assume this is from the gooseberries. The flavor is not unpleasant, but it also doesn't quite taste like beer either... sort of hard to put into words at this point. To me it doesn't seem to be particularly well balanced. But again, it's also not unpleasant. The mouthfeel is consistent with what I expected based on the color - thin and refreshing. However, it lacks that certain crispness to it I would have expected. It also seems to be slightly undercarbonated to me. Drinkability is a tough call on this one...but I'm going to go with below average for a gut feel. Its a little too sweet considering how thin it feels. Also, the lingering tartness is somewhat a detractor from the overall offering.

I enjoyed trying this beer, but I could easily name at least 20 beers I would rather have if given options. This is definitely worth a one-time trial just to experience it... but I'm not looking for it again.

Love my wife, but the other beers in the boxed set were better!

3.35/5  rDev -5.1%

This poured to a dark yellow and gold without much head. It's leaving zero lace behind.

The body is fairly light. Hops stay consistant through the taste. The smell isn't of much other than a berry oder that isn't all that great. It's not bad, but it isn't a high point. The mouthfeel is a little sharp, but the beer remains pretty drinkable.

The finish has an odd tinge to it, more like a juice than a beer.

3.98/5  rDev +12.7%

Refreshing looking golden/orange with good splotchy lace and a soft/just capping head of snowy, somewhat creamy white. Aromas are at once both fruity and malty, redolent of peaches and cream. Medium bodied with a tangy, lively tartness that is cleansing, lingering and very refreshing. This brew exhibits a winey character with elements of New Zealand sauv. blanc-gooseberry. Malted hot cereal with butter, some red fruits and creamy peach flavors round out the taste profile. I like this as it is very unique, complex and satiating.

3.13/5  rDev -11.3%

This beer might be past it's date, so take this review with that in mind. It poured a cloudy yellow color with some sediment present. It formed a small foamy off white head that left trace lace as it subsided. An aroma of hops, herbs, wine and possibly gooseberries. The flavor was of hops, wine and gooseberry. The finish was a bit sour and astrigent. Not as good as the heather or the elderberry, but a newer batch might prove better.

3.33/5  rDev -5.7%

Another odd recipe from this Scottish brewery that offers an ancient recipe with offbeat ingredients. This 11.2 oz bottle pours a clear, canary yellow, with a skimpy white head that disappears in seconds. No lacing. Aroma has fermented berries, malted wheat, and an odd herbal/floral note that defies identification. Mouthfeel is light bodied with low carbonation. The taste is, well, different. Malted wheat, fermented goosberries, and a salty note in the background. Dry and bitter, with an herbal aftertaste.
This is my least favorite of this brewery's odd offerings. Too many bitter flavors going on here, and I can't even identify the culprits. I compliment the brewery for experimenting with these ancient styles, and I will continue to try these. Certainly, this is ale is one that is not mainstream, and might be worth a try.

3.03/5  rDev -14.2%

Slightly hazy, golden yellow. Pours a moderate, soapy looking white head that settles to a thin equally soapy looking film. Does manage to give up some good lace.

Aroma offers up some typical wheat beer characteristics, along with herbs and perfume.

Slightly dry and bitter to drink up front like a moderately strong unsweetened tea. Overal gentle sweetness to the beer, but no noticeable gooseberry flavour for me. Reminds me a bit of white wine.

Interesting to try, but doesn't get me worked up in any way.

4.1/5  rDev +16.1%

The appearance is a hazy orange with a spontaneous white head that leaves dense rings of lacing around the glass. Oranges and lemons abound in the smell.

The taste is tangy and citrusy, a little salty, with well-balancing hops at the end that change the whole course of the drink from light and refreshing to a little rough around the edges.

A really enjoyable drink and probably my favorite, besides the Fraoch, from Heather Ales.

3.83/5  rDev +8.5%

As usual for Heather Ale, this is an unusual beer from the bottle, to the smell and taste. Best before date is October 2004. Ingredients are listed as: "Malted Barley Bree, Wheat, Gooseberries, Bogmyrtle, Meadowsweet, Hops." To be honest, I have no clue what Bogmyrtle or Meadowsweet is. Always ready for a new experience, I pour it. It's a slightly hazy gold with a small layer of fine yeast at the bottom. The white head is fairly thin but leaves a trace on top to the end. The smell is assertively fruity but not overly sweet. It also has an interesting herbal/medicinal smell. The taste is vaguely berry-like, but the flavor sort of lingers on the back end. The hops and herbs battle on the tongue for attention. Although it's a nice experiment, it's not the type of beer most people will want to sit and drink all day.

A very different type of brew...cloudy, unfiltered light cider appearance, minimal lacing...some fruity bouquet with grapefruit and grape aromas. Taste was different...fruity, then tart on the finish, medium body....refreshing. Mouthfeel was good with the lightly tart finish giving it a rounded quality. Easy enough to drink, though a few would be just about right as the flavor is just a bit unusual.

4.22/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Phenomenal.

Appearance: Poured a strange yellow color into my pint glass. No real head or lacing on this one.

Smell: Fruity, with notes of honey poking through. Smells good, but the smells are a bit too faint for me to rate it higher.

Taste: Fruity, malty, simply yummy. Sort of similar to a cherry wheat in taste. No bitterness to this beer at all.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, nice lingering finish. CO2 level is wonderful.

Drinkability: Buy it if you see it, it's that good. Also, this is the first time outside of a dictionary that I've seen the word "convivial" used, it was printed on a little blurb on the label, I showed it to a few people and we all got a good kick out of it.

3.45/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This is a relatively ordinary looking pale lager in colour and characteristics. The smell might lead to some early suspiscions of something odd going on here, something which is reinforced by the first taste. Of which there are two distinct parts as other reviews have noted, an initial "grassy" wheatish even taste and as it makes its way to the back of your mouth and throat there is quite a change. Spices and Goosberries (whatever they are or taste like!) begin to make their presence felt. To sum up, a tasty and different beer although I must admit not quite as bizarrely different as I might have hoped. (I might not have liked it half as much but I wish they'd left the hops out, - that would have been really interesting!).

3.45/5  rDev -2.3%

straw/dirty blonde body with a slight haze. mild activity and a white coating of head that stays comfortably. good example of lace.
if i knew what gooseberrys were i'd probably say this smells like them. aside from that it has a seductive perfume. a floral or nectar scent perhaps of laurel and blueberry. quite herbal and hinting spice. a solid wheat rounds out the scent. a medicinal attribute evidances itself in the back of the sinuses.
what a flavor! now i think i know what a gooseberry tstes like. what a whopper of a dry floral and fruit flavor. it's slightly and plesantly tart all complimenting the wheat base. then in the middle of the sipping experience the herbs and spice just take the hell over, laying into the wheat and taking over the ride. the palate is left with something very unique and oddly familiar. hop heads should try this guy for comparison, this is what beer could've been like. it has a medicinal quality that is hard to describe but is close to being metallic in nature and flavor, not a bad one either.
the body is deceiving, but it's been determined by me to be pretty heavy. decent, yet average carbonation. a tad oily on the finish in the palate.
drinkability for certain reasons lower. a nice beer in some ways but in other ways it also makes you say 'why?' it would probably make a good apretif with some shellfish or other seafood and cheese. a curiousity i recommend.

3.28/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy straw -colored liquid with a very thin lace on the goblet. The aroma of corn is paired with a peppery berry. A dominant yeast flavor starts off the brew with a lemony wheat spice. The entire impression of the ale is that of a clean and refreshing balanced brew. Very easy drinking and tasty with a peppery berry finish.

3.58/5  rDev +1.4%

Served mildly chilled in a pint glass at R.F.D.'s

Appearance: Hazy golden straw topped by a biggish, bulbous, and bubbly white head. Very ephemeral, no lacing left at all.

Smell: Lightly sulfurous and brackish grassy aromas at first, then there were hints of fruit, but it was had to tell just what sort of fruit it was.

Taste: A "beery" light ale flavor. Very bready/biscuity and sweet. Seemed slightly stale, as well.

Mouthfeel: Watery and light bodied. Rather refreshing, actually.

Drinkability: Worth a shot on cask if you see it. I can't honestly say the beer is better for the treatment. Not anything worth seeking out, regardless. I had no problems finishing the pint I was given and could have had another, but I thought I should turn in.

3.98/5  rDev +12.7%

Okay, this one's a little hard to describe. Pours a pale orange color, with a deep haze. Very slight, almost non-existant head...big, balloon-like bubbles near the edge of the glass. The aroma is amazing...very fruity, but hard to place. The citrus twang of a wheat beer is evident in the aroma and taste, but it's subtle. There's a floral mix in the aroma too...I mean truely floral, like a flower shop. Tangy, perfumy, and soft. Truly unique and an absolute blast to experience.

Grozet from Williams Brothers Brewing Company