1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Grozet - Williams Brothers Brewing Company

GrozetGrozet

good

Williams Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scottish Gruit / Ancient Herbed Ale |  5.00% ABV

From the Gaelic "Groseid", Since at least the 16th century Scots monks and alewives brewed indigenous drinks from cereals, wild herbs and ripe fruits. Tibbie Shiels green Grozet was immortalised by such Scots literati as Sir Walter Scott, Jas Hogg. (The Ettrick shepherd) and Robert Burns whoconsidered it a most convivial drink. Brewed with lager malt, wheat, bog myrtle, hops and meadowsweet then secondary fermented with ripe Scottish gooseberries.

(Beer added by: canadianbarman on 09-12-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Grozet Alström Bros
3.78/5  rDev +7.1%

The appearance of this stuff necessitates a great leap of faith. It's... well, it looks cruddy. It has an unappealing hazy brown color, with no yellow constituent unless I hold it up to the light. When I do, I see that it's full of thin flecks of sediment suspended in the fluid like flies in amber. The small, frothy head is almost white, and before long it dwindles to a little froth around the edges of the glass.

The acidic smell is just strong and unusual enough to be intriguing. Not-too-sweet berries come to mind, but this could be nothing more than the power of suggestion.

My reaction upon taking a sip is "Whoa! Damn! SMOKE!", because it has the taste of a heavily smoked cheese. It also reminds me of the Scots Pine.* I can't say that the taste is terribly complex, nor can I say that I enjoy it as much as the Scots Pine. However, the reaction that keeps recurring is "Interesting!" I think that my gimmick-radar is pretty reliable, so when a beer piques my interest without tripping it I consider that a big point in its favor.

*This confuses me because, unlike Scots Pine, the Grozet does not contain pine or spruce sprigs. The only ingredient common to the two is malted barley bree, so perhaps that's the associating taste.

3.53/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

-33 cl brown bottle, freshness date clearly labeled on back. As most beers from this company, it had a really cool looking label/
-Poured a cloudy, dark golden straw like in color. Had a nice thick head but it slimmed down to average. Minor lacing.
-Smell was sweet and wine like.

This was my second beer from the Scottish gift box. It had a taste that I couldn't really distinguish, kind of sweet and fruity, with an average mouthfeel. Overall not a bad beer. I would drink this one again and will probably pick up the same gift pack next year.
Thx

3.93/5  rDev +11.3%

Had a nice head. Was quite cloudy from the wheat and the fruit.

I could smell a number of fruits.

Has a light mouthfeel.

Nice mixture of tart and sweet fruit flavour along with the wild spices, but not overpowering.

I would go out of my way to buy another.

3.55/5  rDev +0.6%

I enjoyed this offering, was nothing like I had anticipated.
It started a lively sourish fruit mash, unfortunatly it failed to hold for any duration and did not finish well.
Poured a slightly cloudy light golden hue with almost no crown, just a limited island lace.
Carbonation was very weak, yet it tickled the sences for an above average mouthfeel.
Nose light of honey.
Body is medium/light.
If this brew had some continuity, it would be a real winner.

3.28/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark yellow and uniformly dull and cloudy. Head starts decently in a straight sided festival glass. Honeyish aroma, not particularly fruity but with some slight ester qualities. Bitter, but not from hops, much more from a medicinal sense of bitter spices, including heavy clove and a black pepper finish. This leaves me wondering what gooseberries taste like, but there is a similarity to the skins of white elderberries, which may contribute to the spicy profile. OK, love the old recipes, but not a among my favorites from Heather...

Source: Liquid Solutions

A bit cloudy and honey color. Big head that quickly goes down to a skimmer across the top. Smell is nothing special..smells as I would think it would, fruity with a bit of honey thrown in there.Taste is mellow with no harsh aftertaste. Not a strong flavor nor a light one at that. Good taste, goes down easy. Could easily drink this with no problem one after the other. Not one of those beers that after drinking one that you are too full to drink anymore.

3.7/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A bit ugly and cloudy, but the bottle was polite enough to warn me about that beforehand. Smells odd, like your classic lousy lager with a whole lot of fruit added into the mix. That's really how it tastes too. Strange. Fruity. Rather unique. Part of me wants to pour it down the drain in disgust, the other part wants a six pack. Yes, I think I have discovered the Budweiser of the ancient Celts!

Shockingly smooth going down, however, considering the flavor. And I do indeed taste a hint of gooseberry, so bonus points for that. Perhaps not destined to be on my standard drinking list, but certainly something I might reach for on special occasions.

1.83/5  rDev -48.2%

A vigorous pour yielded 2 fingers of white froth atop a hazy honey colored ale. Has a starchy muskiness to its aroma with slight citrusy wheat note. Head has settled down quickly and retains abit with lacing. Mouthfeel is rather flat feeling with a slight dryness. Flavor is completely unusual and a bit unpleasant. A bit sour and earthy with a staleness added to it. I'm not sure if I'll finish this one or not. Not a good tasting brew.

4.33/5  rDev +22.7%

The highlight for me is clearly the aroma. It's hazed, light appearance is an obvious prelude to the slightly wheaty, refreshing characteristics. But the nose is where it's at: An exotic mix of lemon, lemon balm, and rotting berries delights the senses and comes in waves to be savored and contemplated. The flavor is reminiscent of chewing on lemon grass and drinking chamomile herbal tea. Leaves a slight cottonmouth-ish feeling. The body is thin and slightly anemic. A little more carbonation and body would carry this really unique beer into the stratosphere.

2.58/5  rDev -26.9%

NOTE: OLD BOTTLE TASTED! Medium brown color, slightly cloudy. Small head. Aroma is fruity, more applish than berrish. A light bodied wheat. More apple cider like than beer. No real malt or hop taste. Mouthfeel is full. Finish is clean. Aftertaste is fruity. After notes were taken, I noticed the best by date was Oct 2000. This beer was tasted nearly 30 month after that date. Will need to re-taste with a fresh beer.

3.4/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer poured a very small white head that cleared very quickly. The body was a hazy brown/amber with lots of fine sediment floating around.

The nose was interesting. Lemon, apple cider smells, just a full cornicopia of sour fruit flavors. Some subtle malt, but mostly it smelled very lambic esque.

The taste was very smooth and tart. A very light carbonation. At first it started off with a firm ale taste. Almost no bitterness at all, but a lot of earthy hop flavor. What then followed, what I can only assume, was this sour lambic like gooseberry attack. Lots of weird sour fruit flavors. Most likely the gooseberry. It ended on a sour and slightly bitter note not lingering too long.

Overall... I'm really not sure what to say about this beer. It was deffinatly interesting. Ale, meets cider, meets lambc. Not what you'd expect. In my notes I wrote gross but interesting, as if someone picked two styles of beer to mix together that shouldn't be mixed. It's not bad, but I probably won't be reaching for this on again.

4.6/5  rDev +30.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Cloudy orange amber color.
Nose of buttery, whole wheat and charred Alpine cheese. There is a smart, sunny tartness that lifts the ample maltiness and creates detailed, delicate balance. After sniffing at it for ten minutes from a wine glass there does in fact emerge a subtle smell of sweet, thick-skinned black berry. It is an enigma. The more I focus on it, the less obvious it becomes. A slight smoky graphite flavor emerges later too. Clean. hazel. dry dry.

3.8/5  rDev +7.6%

I like the Heather Ale brewery quite a bit, big fan of Fraoch, have tried everything they've put out to the best of my abilities. So I was eager to be reunited with this "gooseberry wheat ale" and present my opinion.
Appearance: hazy, dull yellow color, short, and soon demised white head.
Aroma: sparkling, sprityzy, slightly fruity, a little sour.
Very easy-going, smooth ride over the lips and down the throat, with a decent helping of good wheaten gritty texture. This ale trips very lightly along, and maintains a delicate fruity taste that just seems to float on the tongue.
Light in body, moderately spiced and very mild in flavor. An interesting experiment/recreation, and a nice little beer. Nothing that will blow you away, nossir, but a nice, mellow brew, more than adequate as a simple dessert or a mellow nightcap.
Thanks to JohynnyDuvel for the reunion!

3.43/5  rDev -2.8%

This is a gooseberry and wheat ale. The label gives us a little history lesson about 16th century Scottish brewing. This beer is a "special concoction of malts, wild spices and ripe gooseberries". First off, I don't know what a gooseberry tastes or smells like; furthermore, I don't know much about bog myrtle or meadowsweet either, which are all listed in the ingredients list along with the hops, malted barley and wheat. Nevertheless, the beer itself poured into a nice orange-yellow liquid with some cloudiness (as warned on the label). The head was nice and white, not terribly long-lived but decent. The aroma has a faint cereal note along with some floral hints and a touch of spiciness, which seems to me like a cross between fresh hay and Eastern spices (maybe cumin or curry?) The flavor is smooth, rather drinkable with some slightly tart notes that reminds me of granny smith apple, blended with slightly sweet malt and light bitterness at the end for balance. The spices are nicely blended and strike me as being somewhat secretive - I don't taste and smell the spices as a dominant note, but I can tell they are there. In this mode, these unusual ingrediants compliment the beer and function much as flavor and aroma hops (and specialty grains) do in 'regular' beers. I rather enjoyed this and I think it would be good for many occaisions, and although it doesn't blow me away, I think it is a very accessible beer without being bland and insipid.

For the BJCP style experimental or historical beer, I"d peg this around 4.5/5 - its very well done.

3.43/5  rDev -2.8%

It has the appearance of apple juice. That's not good. Overall it was a decent beer and I'm glad I experienced a gooseberry ale in my life. But I don't think I will be drinking this again anytime soon. It has a variety of flavors but they don't blend the best. I taste grains and a tartness to this beer. The gooseberries were definitely recognized, esp. in the aftertaste. This tasted better after the first couple of sips. Overall a decent, not terrific, beer

Presentation: 11.2 fluid ounce (330ml) brown glass bottle. It has a very simplistic style label (it almost looks like it was drawn by a young child) that has picture of a gooseberry surrounded by the words, “Grozet Gooseberry & Wheat Ale”.

Appearance: Golden amber color with a slight haze, the label states that this is to be expected and is from the natural fruit & cereal proteins. Tight, but thin head, that despite its relatively broken appearance, somehow it clings for dear life to always cover the beers surface - just. Large bubbles at the edge leave some simple lace trails. Rather plain looking to be honest.

Nose: Whow, quite the new kid on the block. I could definitely dissociate the Wheat from other less discernable aromas. But what were these other aromas? Well, I struggled, apart from the dominant Wheat and Grain odors; I got sour apples (probably the gooseberries) as well as fresh pears.

Taste: Light grain tastes mixed with soft skinned fruits of various kinds. Grapes, Gooseberries, sour Apples and some soft partially rotten Pears. Slight phenolic tastes in the aftertaste that is not unpleasant, but rather disconcerting and distracting at times. A difficult one – I would hesitate to use the word complex, or even layered, it is just plain bloody strange!

Mouthfeel: Average, the wheat gives it a strong grain feel but the sour phenolic twang in the finish ruin what good mouthfeel it had.

Drinkability: Well, I drank the 33cl without much hassle, but this was because of the strange, rather than weird, aftertastes make this beer a puzzler, and invite you to keep drinking mouthfuls to work out just what the hell the strange tastes are. I would say that it was just barely a 3.0, because I’m in a good mood!

Overall: Different. Top Marks for recreating this brew style, and I hope it continues to be brewed so that others can try this auld Scots beer recipe. But, I for one will not be seeking, or even drinking, this one again though; it’s just not to my taste to be honest. Rather Disappointing.

2.8/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a murky yellow brown. Small, thin white head disappears quickly, leaving only a tiny rim of foam and the odd island or two. Frankly, its one of the more unattractive beers I've seen, with a very pathetic head for a beer with significant wheat in the grain bill.

Nose is but a faint whiff of grain. With time, some extremely faint melon and herb notes come out.

It is quite wheaty in the mouth, with a refreshing green citric/melon character from the mid-palate on. The finish adds some leafy/earthy notes. It tastes decent, and the gooseberries add an intriguing flavor, but every other aspect of the beer is sub-par at best.

The mouthfeel is odd, as the beer is very lightly carbonated - again, quite strange for a wheat beer. It just sort of lays on your palate. A very poor effort from an otherwise quality producer.

330 ml bottle. Best before date of June, 2004.

2.95/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Grozet poured a hazy pale yellow with a volcanic white head that left some lacing on the glass. The aroma was wheat malt along with dried fruit notes and a slight acidic alcohol smell. The taste started with a weak lemon water flavor and quickly built to a thin wheat beer flavor with hints of lemon. It isn't until the finish that you can start to taste the gooseberries. Aftertaste is a dying off of the lemon and malt flavors leaving you with acidic sour gooseberry flavors and some herbal notes. Mouthfeel is crisp and dry with a very thin body.
Overall my least favorite of the Heather Ale products. Grozet has the least amount of complexity and character of their products. IMHO Grozet is way to thin for a re-creation of a 500 year old Scotch monastic brew. My hat is off to Heather Ale for their attempts of keeping historic brewing methods and ingredients alive; but this one needs to be reworked, IMHO.

3.13/5  rDev -11.3%

Bottle "Best before" date: 10/2004

Appearance: hazy straw/gold (like a weizen or gueuze), large bubbles, low head formation like that of a lager

Aroma: gooseberries, malt, a sour twang, wisp of alcohol, tiniest bit of diacetyl

Flavor: a lambic-like tartness predominates but is followed by a bitterness that is hard to place (almost Bretthanomyces-like), notes of spices like juniper and all-spice, no sweetness to speak of, very dry finish with a gooseberry aftertaste, plays out kind of like a Belgian lambic, half way through the glass I realize the bitterness is exactly like that of gooseberry or grape skins

Mouthfeel: light body, tight/fine carbonation, definite astringency from the berries

Overall impression: an interesting beer, no doubt... but to be honest I was a bit disappointed with it. I really enjoy their Alba Scots Pine Ale and the Heather Ale, so my expectations were high. Worth a try though, you might like it.

Right from the start this gets points with me for its uniqueness, I am a sucker for old traditional styles that fly in the face of the Reinheitsgebot. In fact I've yet to try an ale or lager from Scotland
that I didn't like.

Its appearance is that of a slightly cloudy straw gold, pouring with a white bubbly head that disappears quickly, and both malt and hops are overshadowed by a very prominent citrusy fruit aroma. There is definitely something else lurking around in there. That would be the gooseberries. The taste is quite tart, yet refreshing, not quite what you would expect from a pale ale or a lager. And that's part of the appeal for me. Perfect to serve in a tall
fluted glass for a special occassion, hovering somewhere between
a light ale and a bittersweet mead, this is definitely different from what you'd normally pick up at the gas station. It's not something that I'd drink every day, but definitely something that I'd think back to from time to time, and remember fondly.

2.95/5  rDev -16.4%

Pour is pale golden, with a small white head, quickly diminishing to nothing. Aroma is fruity and sweet, hints of banana. Flavor is mildly spicy, fruity, and quite sweet. Body was on the light side, strongly carbonated, finished clean. Fairly boring and unimpressive.

3.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a light golden color, very clear. I was expection more out of this one. I bought it along with Fraoch, Ebulum, and Kelpie. Those three had some great flavors in them. This one is rather bland. I can sense just a touch of berry in there, other than that, it's just a little sweetness. Very easy to drink though, I could definitely drink a few if need be.

3.68/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours out a cloudy straw color with a bit of head. Light and sweetish... Tastes of berry and some other malts. Nice flavor balance. This is a very good brew for a fruity beer. worth a shot certainly. I could see how this could be a favorite brew for some lucky BA.

3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

This brew pours a hazy straw color with a minimal head that leaves rather quickly leaving no lace behind. A mild hop aroma along with berries and other citrus fruits fill the nose. A strong hop flavor, along with the ame beries flavor provides the palatte with many layers to seperate. This was an allright beer I was hoping for a little better but heah, you don't know until you try it.

Cheers

Crystal clear amber color on the pour, the head modest in size, frothy in texture and the lace adequate to conceal the glass. Malt the major aroma, with an underlying ripe apple sweetness, start is quite sweet with adequate malt, top is skeletal. The finish has a "Wee Bit of Hops", scarcely carbonated, and a dry lingering aftertaste. Not quite sure what I expected a "Celtic Ale" to be, but a bit more robust was one thing, disappointing.

Grozet from Williams Brothers Brewing Company