The Three Stooges Beer - Panther Brewing Company

poor

poor

Panther Brewing Company
New York, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: maxpower on 09-19-1998)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by BeerAdvocate:
2.9/5  rDev +25%

Presentation: 12oz twist, brown bottle. Black label with the infamous 3 Stooges mug shot; yellow and white lettering. This bottle stands out amongst others.

Appearance: Incredibly pale and yellow. Thin pure white lace of head with tiny lager style carbonation.

Smell: Some sourness, raw grain and a very faint hop aroma.

Taste: Light crisp malt flavour that twangs the palate with its carbonation. Goes grainy, then dry with a small amount of bitterness. Virtually no aftertaste.

Notes: This is as refreshing as a glass of seltzer water. As a product, this is nothing more than a hyped-up novelty beer and potential money maker -- a well constructed one mind you. As a beer, within its targeted style, it's comparable to many of its well established mainstream competitors. If it meant deciding between a Bud or a Stooge, the Stooge would be our choice of brew.

National distribution rolls out very shortly. The question is, can the hype compete or will they suffer the same fate as past novelty beers?

BeerAdvocate, Sep 19, 1998
1.85/5  rDev -20.3%

Appears well kinda golden fizzy with a decent sized quickly disipating white head and decent rings of lacing throughout the beer. As for aroma I am surprised to actually detect any hops very mild hop aroma with some grainy grassy slightly adjunct ridden sweetness, not anything special here so far. Taste a cheap tasting not well made mass produced lager that does have a slightly sweet taste with some finishing hops just in no way could I say this is a very drinkable beer due to the harsh bite and wicked taste each sip provides with an overcarbonated beer like this that is light and watery pass me something with as much character as the Three Stooges had. Pass on this one unless you want the bottle for the novelty, drink too many you may be asking for one hell of a headache.

WVbeergeek, Jul 08, 2003
2.5/5  rDev +7.8%

You think after Curley died the stooges would have broke up. You would have thought the same thing about this beer after Panther closed. But it's back. I guess you have to drink something while watching a stooges marathon. A very bland beer with just a hint of malt. I think it was brewed in a bathtub.

bewareOFpenguin, Jan 20, 2003

This is what the Stooges must have been squirting out of those seltzer bottles in the movies.

Brent, Jul 11, 2001
2.55/5  rDev +9.9%

If nothing else there is a great deal to be said about marketing
and packaging, just another sucker on the vine. But I am no one
to preach or judge as I fell for it too. And to be honest I can't say
I felt all that ripped off either, as I was expecting the worst (or
maybe a few steps up from the worst).

This Stooge brew pours out a light straw colour with a wafer thin
head that doesn't last the trip from the place of pouring to the final
destination of sitting, relaxing and imbibing. The smell is sweet,
and there is a passive hint of hops. Lots of bubbles though,
good carbonation.

The taste is mildly sweet, that of malt and yeast. It reminded me a
great deal of the lagers from Southeast Asia that also offer that
light sweet flavour. Perfect, really, to quench the thirst in a hot
humid climate, but wouldn't really bat too many eyes in a
temperate zone. Especially one so swamped with macros who
are making nearly the same thing, yet lacking the obviously
appealing packaging and play on nostalgia.

If Kokanee and Tiger had a love child this would be it, but wearing
a flower that squirted you in the face, and then tried to poke your
eyes out. Still, if you want to impress your friends on a hot day
of barbecuing, buy a 6 pack of this stuff and no one will complain.

IronDjinn, May 17, 2003
2.3/5  rDev -0.9%

There are only a few things you can do with this beer once you buy it,
1. Put it on the mantle and say hey look i have a beer that is named after the 3 stooges
2. Sell it on ebay to collectors
3. Do both of the the above

Besides being a collectors item its not drinkable

TrickKnee, Apr 12, 2006
2.68/5  rDev +15.5%

The Three Stooges brewed in Canada by the Lakeport Brewing Corporation (as prepared by the Panther Brewing Co.)
is a nice brew.
I enjoyed this beer, was somewhat sweeter than I like, but also much improved over the reviews I read about its American cousin at Panther.
Nice bright golden colour with thick head and glass cling.
The body was full. Carbonation is fair. Slight lingering affect.

Shiloh, Apr 19, 2003
2.03/5  rDev -12.5%

Ok I can't really review this beer properly because it was just bad. I bought it because of the bottle and that was it. It tasted like a budweiser or some other macro. I assume they made this beer strictly for novelty reasons and that is all. It isn't worth buying but is a neat bottle.

Beerbuddha, Aug 10, 2007
2.05/5  rDev -11.6%

A friend of mine brought back a six pack of this beer from Canada. He said he got it for free and offered me one. I figured this would be absolutely horrible. And it was close. But it did go down alright and looked nice on the pour. But it was still noticeably made with cheap ingredients and tasted like piss. I would only drink it again if I was super dehydrated and there was no water available.

granger10, Oct 10, 2003
2.58/5  rDev +11.2%

First had: bottle from a friend's cooler

This was a beer that I used to really like back in my pre-craft/micro snobbery days. But apparently, it's just another American pale lager. :( Also, it's not made anymore. Ah, the good ol' days. I almost always drank this straight out of the bottle, and what's not to like about a bottle with three chowderheads on the label? Aroma is nothing impressive or lasting, basic grains and light maltiness, maybe a sour hop or two. Crisp and grainy on the tongue, mild hop bitterness. Light mouthfeel, and easy to drink mainly if your only other options are Rolling Rock, Bud, and Molson Canadian.

Rifugium, Jul 04, 2011

ROGUE16, Dec 01, 2011
2.5/5  rDev +7.8%

rydev24, Mar 02, 2012
1.48/5  rDev -36.2%

This goes down as one of the worst ever. Now contract brewed by FX Matt in Utica, NY as I guess the Panther Brewing Company is now defunct.

Clear yellow beer as expected, and the aroma is a pungent mix of overcooked vegetables and Grandma's basement. Taste(?) is quite watered down, with some corn/rice flavor and bitter, simply bad tasting malts. Being that we had a case of this in the fridge, I subjected myself to more than one. Sometimes I could finish the bottle, sometimes not. It was dependent on how quickly I could slug it. For this beer, warmth = the sink drinks well. This is purely a novelty beer, and will never be had again.

IrishRedRock, Feb 03, 2003
2.83/5  rDev +22%

--Average, straw yellow color. Average smell, less than average head.
This beer is some marketing departments idea. As an idea it works because I bought it and I see others have as well. This was just a fun beer to try and the taste is definetally drinkable. I don't think I would order a round for the boys, but to have a few in the fridge makes for a cood conversation.
Thx

canadianbarman, Apr 18, 2003
2.1/5  rDev -9.5%

Presentation: What The F……..?? was my initial thought when I saw this. A Three Stooges Beer?? This bloody urban upstart even had the impudence to be next to the Rogue beers! Has a black & white label of the said trio bedecked in Safari gear in front of signs for Cairo and Tunis. A 12 ounce brown bottle with a yellow screw cap top has a small paper neck label and just one main one. The main label has some quotes running down the right hand side of it, but no strength or freshness date.

Appearance: Pale yellow body with some straw hints. Massive white head at first that slowly builds to fill the Pint glass as all of the 12 ounces are poured out. The rocky beer-puddled surface of the expansive head soon settles to leave a thin collar like ring that soon breaks. Excellent lacing and good conditioning but average looks.

Nose: I did not get much odor from this beer at all except thin pale lightly toasted malts and a raw biscuit grain.

Taste: Grainy malts with a light bitterness towards the end. Has a short lived crispy finish with some nice lemon hints. Nothing outstanding really, just the usual Lager tastes that are crisp and not overwhelming.

Mouthfeel: Clean lines and whilst refreshing it has a very thin body.

Drinkability: Pretty average, nothing more than you would expect from an average Lager, but maybe a bit less.

Overall: Advertised on the paper neck label as a “Premium Lager Beer”, well it’s a Lager for sure, but not a very distinctive or premium one in my opinion.

Drinkers should leave this one for the Bottle Collectors Me Thinks!

TheLongBeachBum, Nov 02, 2003
1.83/5  rDev -21.1%

didn't pour this into a glass thinking it wouldn't be worth it..and i was right.
A very pale yellow color, even clear to a point. no head whatsoever. Smell? Like dirty tap water...some malt/hops.
Taste was thin and almost undrinkable. Acidic, bland, fizzy, kinda like a bad sprite.
I would avoid this beer...but I kept the bottle.

Mebuzzard, Feb 01, 2006
3.25/5  rDev +40.1%

OK I bought this because I am a huge stooge fan. I was actually surprised when I tasted it and liked it! It doesn't have a bad taste and they went down pretty smoothly. Other people at the gathering felt the same way. I'm not saying it's the greatest beer in the world but it definetly is worth trying at least once.

matty, Apr 02, 2006
2.7/5  rDev +16.4%

Obviousness in a bottle.
A pumped-up, plastic-looking head of flourescent white drifts down, revealing the brass-colored liquid.
The smell is corn-syrup sweet with traces of caramel and cotton.
On the palate it's round, soft and, to my surprise, reasonably dry. Honeyed, toasted malt residue occurs three-quarters of the way through the brief finish. Red Dog revisited? Gennessee Cream? Altes? Narangansett?
It's obnoxious smelling and the finish/mouthfeel is abrupt with suggestions of burning shards of metal. Better than the worst beer ever, but something to avoid if possible.

putnam, Jul 13, 2003
2.4/5  rDev +3.4%

This was a must-have acquisition for the yellow-labeled bottle. Surprisingly this beer is not awful, but rather turns in an average, goofy presentation. Light yellow colored with a small white head and minimal lacing. Adjunct aromas fill in behind the malt smell. The taste is passable though not impressive. Light and somewhat watery mouthfeel. Drinkable in a crunch.

AtLagerHeads, Aug 04, 2003
2.03/5  rDev -12.5%

Light light yellow with a small white head, little retention, minimal lacing. Sweet buttery aroma, slightly malty - not bad, just very weak. Taste is similar in that it is not disagreeable, just very faint. Some pale malt sweetness, no blatant off-flavors, a little astringency seems to provide the balancing moreso than any hops. Feel is very thin, a little sugary. I could drink a lot of these, but there are much more worthy options out there.

waughbrew, Dec 19, 2003
2.68/5  rDev +15.5%

a very entertaining bottle, i hope the contents are as interesting as the outer appearence. Poured a clean and clear pale yellow. Head resembled dish soap and faded quickly. Lacing was minimal due to the lack of head. Smell was that of sweet grains, corn and a slight stale scent, couldnt describe it. Taste was similar to smell. A faint sweetness, corn adjunct, mild hop bitterness, and very fizzy. carbonation had a bite to it. Mouthfeel was a little thin and water. Very similar in appearence, taste, and smell to a macro lager but not as harsh and a litttle more drinkable. Nothing special really.

jayb, Aug 09, 2004
3.1/5  rDev +33.6%

Like most, I came at this beer from a bad perspective to begin with, so please hear me out there’s a moral here.

I love the stooges OK. I’m also a bottle collector so this beer’s novelty packaging is must have stuff for me. So I got a six pack for my collection and it sat for some time ‘til I was completely out of beer. Unfortunately this occurred just before I ended up on a 4 hr push session on a finicky Harley on a hot spring day. I got in tired and dying of thirst. I headed for that beer with all the primal needs of a beerless Homer on a dry spell. I gulped it down when it was just cooler tna room temp.... BUT, I expected it to be undrinkable drek like most of the Yankee corporate swill I have tasted.

I was absolutely amazed at the way this beer went down; no rough after tastes, indicative of cheap ingredients or sloppy process. Nope, this was one hell of a good thirst quenching beer! I figure NObody would ever consider me seriously if I rated this novelty “stooge” beer as on par with the best national Canuck brands. I also doubted my senses. Liking novelty beer from a US corporate cintract brewer? made no sense to me. I thought I was suffering from Hot-day-cold-beer-any-port-in-a-storm syndrome.

I found out the Stooges beer in Canada was contract brewed by Lakeport in Hamilton...a decent all malt brewer of Canadian commercial brands.

Results: color: ranges from light straw Head medium and disappears to a fine lace quickly.

Smell: virtually undetectable, slight yeasty, and sweet malty smell under the tang of light carbonation.

Palate: Nice reception, not dry not bold. Exceedingly smooth blend of grains, malt, slight hops….but all very subdued (cold aged fer sure). Finish: crisp with absolutely no after taste.

This is a commercial beer drinker’s beer of premium quality and process. This brew turns out to be as good or better than Lakeport's premium breands so this is why the Canadian-made Stooges will stand the test of stand alone drinkability.

As a Canadian-brewed contract beer , this beer’s quality puts it in the top 3 US lagers. I like it. It takes a lot to impress me with the rivers of beer I’ve sampled. This is a very unexpected surprise! Try this Canadian version of Stooges. Do it in the right frame of reference and you will be pleasantly surprised.

The Moral: US brands contracted by Canadian brewers are usually improved because the standard process here omits rice, corn or other adjuncts used in the same brands in the US.

pootz, May 11, 2003
3.03/5  rDev +30.6%

I just had to pick some of this up while in Canada recently, being a stooges goof and a bottle collector, this is a must have to put up on the shelf, full, no need to open, hence the continuation.....

Color of this is not to good, very light pale yellow, no head, no lace either, so might as well not block the eye poke, waa...waa...waa...boink. Excuse the poor spelling of sound effects.

Smell is no where to be found, which is better then it smelling like something unworldly, aw-shucks, it does have a barely there crisp sweetness and musty breadyness of yeast presented itself upon bigger wiffs. Grab the nose and hit promptly with a round house motion, yank...yea-ouch!

Taste is crisp, light, and sweet of malts with a touch of grassy dulled hops trying to pull your suspenders with a bit of yeasty breadness, byoob...byoob...byoob....byoob.

Feel is medium and partially full and super fresh, clean, easy, and smooth. Hey Moe, I could drink alot of these, but why?
Nyuk...nyuk...nyuk.

Fun beer to have around, but not so much for drinking really.

tavernjef, Jun 10, 2003
2.4/5  rDev +3.4%

Brewing a beer and naming it after this most famous comical vaudvillian/slapstick trio must have posed quite a perplexing dilemma; Do we brew it with a comical theme by adding too much of an ingredient (like yeast) or by omitting an important step, or do we make a truly great beer to live up to the namesake of our beloved Stooges? Panther brewing apparently took the middle road, brewing neither whimsical brew to make us smile or an excellent beer as a tribute to the comic legends. Weak and wet. Sweet and sort of bland tasting. Funny Name… Not so funny beer. Doesn’t live up to its highly reputable namesake. Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!

BeerResearcher, Mar 09, 2003
2.28/5  rDev -1.7%

I agree that this is just like any ordinary macro lager, but sells just on a marketing niche. This is something that you may want to save for a collection, but you wouldn't mind if people drank all the beer that was inside of it. This wasn't really a cheap beer, but it had all the cheap beer qualities. You might want to take a Coors or Bud and pour it into the Three Stooges bottle. Nothing special.

madjr80, Dec 01, 2007