Hell On High Quad Bock - Rinkuškiai

Beer added by: Drknight on 10-26-2013

Ratings: 51 | Reviews: 15
Reviews by JohnnyHopps:
3.04/5  rDev +19.2%

Appearance - If this is a bock, it must be a blonde doppelbock. The color was a golden yellow with a modest white head. Little lacing was left on the sides of the glass.

Smell - The beer smells like liquid candy. It smells sweet and certainly does not smell like beer.

Taste - My first impression of the taste is banana liquor. There really is not anything malty about this one that suggests a bock. The banana and candy notes may be more emblematic of a quad, but not a good one. The aftertaste contains notes of bananas that are not yet ripe. The taste is not bad, but it fits neither style in the name.

Mouthfeel - The beer is thick and coats the tongue. Again, I do not feel like the mouthfeel fits the profile of either style.

Overall - The beer is not as bad as I feared based on the reviews. That said, I am not exactly going to recommend this mess.

dull bronze hue that's surprisingly clear and no head. Smells extremely phenolic and boozey, lots of yeasty notes, banana with some esters. Body isn't as thick as youd expect but still pretty syrupy with dull carbonation. Cloyingly sweet like unfermented malt extract. Almost undrinkably sweet but the beer surprisingly hides the boozey notes pretty well. Almost no detectable hop character whatsoever and lots of DMS. If you can handle the sweet it makes for a quick and cheap buzz but other than that a pretty terrible beer. Astringent with the mouthfeel of blended porcupine. Sweetness lingers far too long and makes you want to gag unless you're into getting your years with carbs in a single serving.

2.3/5  rDev -9.8%

Bought this for the ridiculously bad label.

Dull brassy orange, with a thin flaccid layer of white foam that disappears quickly. Good clarity, there's the stray solitary bubble rising now and then.

Dull aroma of wet grains, some sweet apple esters and slight alcohol as it warms.

Taste is harshly astringent with strong overt alcohol presence overshadowing the beer. A little syrupy and sticky in the finish, with lower carbonation. Bland and blah tasting, like concentrated envelope glue with a poorly masked alcohol burn. I guess the jokes on me... Dumped half the glass of this foul Lithuanian swill.

1.42/5  rDev -44.3%

I found this single 16.9oz bottle at Springbrook Liquors in Bloomingdal, ILe for $2.69. Cool name and nice looking label, but that's the only cool thing about this beer.

The beer poured a cloudy honey gold color with a 2½-finger dish soap looking white head that lasted a little over a minute but left no lacing whatsoever.

The beer had only one smell - that of mild caramel.

Yuk! This is total drain pour. It tastes like hard rock candy dipped in caramel and then re-dipped and soaked in alcohol. Absolutely horrid.

Disgustingly sweet and alcoholic with zero carbonation.

I'd like to meet the brew master of this stuff so I could tear up his brewing license and punch him in the mouth for passing this vile stuff off as beer.

2.95/5  rDev +15.7%

I picked up a bottle of Rinkuskiai's Hell On High Quad Bock a couple weeks ago for $4.69 at The Beer Depot. This beer really caught my eye and It's been a while since I've tried one of these crazy Lithuanian beers, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle poured into a teku.

A- The label is awesome, it goes great with name and it's really eye catching. It poured a nice orange color that took on more of an amber color with just a small ring of head that quickly faded away and it didn't leave any lacing behind. This beer looks ok, but it would be nice if it had some head and lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a high amount of sweetness with the malts being the first to show up and they impart lots of sweet malts, caramel malts, apple juice and raisin like aromas with a little bit of a brown bread aromas also showing up. Up next comes the alcohol which is pretty noticeable and it's followed by a little more sweetness. The aroma is ok, but it's very sweet.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a high amount of sweetness with the malts still being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in aroma with the all the aspects seeming to show up pretty evenly. Up next comes the alcohol which is pretty noticeable, but it's not as boozy and warming as I was expecting. On the finish there's more sweetness with a candied aftertaste. This taste was Ok, I was expecting a little more flavor, but at least it's not super boozy.

M- Not smooth, cloying, not crisp, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a low amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel isn't that great and I wish it had some more carbonation.

Overall I thought this beer was ok and I thought it was an average example of the style, it had most of the aspects that I expect from these high alcohol bocks, but in the end it seemed to be lacking on the flavor. This beer didn't have great drinkability, one glass is more than enough for me. What I like the most about this beer was the label it was awesome. What I like the least about this beer was the high sweetness and the lack of carbonation. I don't think I would buy this beer again, it was nice to try, but it isn't something I feel the need to revisit. It's worth a try if you like these strong bocks, but I can't say I recommend it. All in all it's not bad and it's not as boozy as I was expecting, but I wish it had some flavor to it. It made for an ok first impression for this brewery and it's average for the style. Nice job guys, but a little more carbonation and less sweetness wouldn't hurt.

3.31/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

At 14% this beer is way too sweet for casual drinking. Honestly it tastes closer to a cheap wine than a beer. When poured into a glass the overpowering aroma of malted hops hits you like a ton of bricks. The color is a darker golden hue, with minimal lace, average carbonation and minimal foam. The taste is heavy and strong, sweetened by the overabundance of malts and sugars. A very strange brew indeed, hard to classify or review. In other words, you gotta try this one for the novelty factor. Satan in a trench coat and glasses smoking a cigarette and holding a poodle on the label tells you off the bat that this is not normal.

3.71/5  rDev +45.5%

Pours a three finger white head that fades quickly leaving no lace. Clear amber color. Medium carbonation and medium bodied. Brown sugar nose and flavor is a lot of maple/brown sugar, sweetness hiding the very high ABV. $3.90 for a 500ml bottle from Tully's Beer & Wine Wells, Me.

2.5/5  rDev -2%

golden color???? very very boozy

3.78/5  rDev +48.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Didn't realize this was Lithuanian when I bought it, and then after reading these reviews I was worried I'd made a big mistake. But alas, I shouldn't have been. The beer pours a rather yellow light color with no head, but smells fine with no hint of the high alcohol content. Now I like strong beers and this doesn't disappoint in offering a good warm feel. Given it's 14% strength, it is fairly well hidden and entirely drinkable, abet in smaller quantities. It's sweet banana taste quickly abates with a pleasantly soft aftertaste. This is certainly not a 'by the glass' session beer, but I find myself returning to fill my 2 oz mini-glass many times. I would definitely buy this again, it's just the thing to keep the cold winter chill at bay. At $3.69 for 16.9oz this is really quite the deal. "I sveikata!"

2.08/5  rDev -18.4%

Quad bock is all that caught my eye and I was sold. Had to try it... Never heard of the brewery..No biggie.. Only costs $3.49 for a 1PT .9FlOz .. suspicious.. Looked fine in the glass... All downhill from there. initial flavor quickly overpowered by sweet /sour high alcohol flavor. Continues to burn the whole way down, and tounge still feels the tang 15 minutes later.... I have had acid reflux with a better mouthfeel than this. Made it though 1/3 and the drain enjoyed the rest.

2.94/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Appearance- Pours up an okay amount of head which has lousy retention. The head is an off-white while the body is a pale amber that looks like a mix between pale amber and golden straw when held up to the light. There are a few traces of lacing.

Nose- Lots of caramel. Some brown bread, a little bit of raisins. A lot duller than I expected which is somewhat of a positive as I expected it to be really messy and boozy. Swirling reveals some light bubblegum.

Taste- Starts with caramel, brown bread, some burnt toast, raisins, and slight bit of woodiness. All of this melds together to show a lot of bubblegum and generic lollipop/hard candy. Not impressive except for the fact that it is a lot less offensive than I expected it to be. Low heat which is perfectly acceptable for a 14% beer. Reminds me a lot of some of the stronger scotch ales. Woodiness (mostly oak) and the burnt caramel grow to produce a less desirable flavor profile. A little too sweet on the linger for my tastes. Pretty much an average beer which doesn't really represent either of the styles it alleges to represent. It has some characteristics of a doppelbock but really none of a quad. Both the booze and sweetness escalate, making this a less palatable beer. I suspect that this might be better served chilled. Some notes of honey add to the cloying sweetness.

Mouthfeel- Light to medium bodied with a touch of syrup to the texture. Light carbonation.

Drinkability- More easygoing than I expected. Pretty consistent with the quality you would expect for 3.50. It could definitely get you drunk for pretty cheap.

Overall- Surprising considering it's below poor rating. You might want to try- it's not that bad and it's pretty cheap. Won't buy it again though.

3.65/5  rDev +43.1%

I guess I'm not a quad bock taster. Either that or I had very low expectations. For a 14% beer, I was satisfied, especially for the price.

1.72/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

I gave my wife a sip. Her review in one word: nasty

3.2/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Looks wonderful but the smell reveals the true nature of the beer. Incredibly malty. Tastes like the grape bubble gum that I got in the doctors office as a kid. Thick and syrupy texture. Not bad, but feels and tastes more like a malt liquor or a reinforced barley wine.

1.75/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Tastes like malt liquor. I've had others from the same brewery and they're pretty much the same.

Hell On High Quad Bock from Rinkuškiai