Lobster Lovers Beer - Rinkuškiai

to view more.
Ratings: 139 | Reviews: 79
Reviews by JohnBender:
3.7/5  rDev +28%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #44 (Sep 2010):

Brilliantly clear golden color with a creamy white head. Hints of cherry, white chocolate and rose water in the nose ... seems the alcohol wants to take over even in a subtle manner. Creamy body with a struggling crispness. Maltiness is pretty sweet with some vague fruit and buttery flavors. Warmth from the alcohol is of a clean solvent and peppery likeness. More malt sweetness in the end, though the beer does move forward. Surprisingly good, and for its hefty strength, it does not stray too far. The name says it all ... this would be good with a fresh lobster and drawn butter.

3.03/5  rDev +4.8%

I tried both this and its 5% ABV brother, and didn't like either of them. This beer was a gold color with a small white head that disappeared quickly. It had an aroma of grain, and that was pretty much it. I thought the alcohol was very noticeable, but despite that, the beer was pretty bland. I finished this 500ml bottle and couldn't imagine having another one.

1.12/5  rDev -61.2%

"Grab it by the claws!" Wow, 2 dollar pint of 9.5% abv let's get fucked up Lithuanian beer. Pours a deep semi viscous golden orange sunrise hue with a bright quickly dwindling white head. Thin scattered lacing between sips. Aroma is sweet honey tones, green apples, mineral water, barley husks with some cooked creamed corn. Flavor this is malt liquor it might as well come in a forty ounce bottle. Super cloying mess of a beer, just not acceptable. More green apple with honey bursts of gag reflux sweetness, cooked veggies and a bit of rust or penny sucking sensations. Mouthfeel is so bad I can't really stand taking a big gulp it's offensive. Medium bodied cloying mess with residual sugars clouding the palate, it's so bad it's making my head twitch with each sip. Drinkability, I don't think so drain pour, but it was worth the fun.

2.5/5  rDev -13.5%

16.9 oz bottle served in pint glass.

A - clear golden color with a frothy white head that quickly disappears.

S - malty lager with high ABV

T -Mostly toasted malt but a bit of metaliic bitter taste too.
High (9.5%) ABV is too obvious and alcohol detracts from flavor.

M - light/medium body; low carbonation.

3.42/5  rDev +18.3%

Picked up on a lark after a store marked them down to $2 a pop, poured into a nonic glass.

Rich transparent gold color with one finger of foam that dissipates after about a minute. Not a lot of bubbles to be had here.

Plummy mouthfeel. Hint of raisins and chewy toffee. The finish is a bit short and sharp. The alcohol sits on the throat nicely and isn't overwhelming. Surprisingly drinkable but nowhere near sessionable. You could pair it with food or enjoy it on it's own.

It's fortified, it's big, it empties pretty quickly. At $2 each, it'd be great to get a load of these in a bucket of ice water for a weekend party. It's not nuanced, and it won't win you points with the hop snobs, but I've had worse.

3.55/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours from a 500ml brown bottle into a tall 22oz pilsner glass. It has a hazy golden orange color with a decent 3/4" of head. The head wanes but leaves a little lacing on the glass.

Aroma is sweet and grainy with just a hint of hops. There is some similarity to a pilsner, possibly due to the hops that were used. It's new to my local beer store and smells fairly fresh so that's a plus.

Flavor is impressive in that it is easily the strongest lager that I've had that still tastes like a traditional German lager. Strong malt backbone gives it sweetness while a healthy dose of hops gives it a certain spicy citrus taste. Pretty well balanced and better than I expected.

Mouthfeel is solid, not too heavy and good amount of carbonation. Drinkability is alright but would be better if not so strong.

Overall better than expected and a steal at $2.50. I'm relieved there's no lobster taste.

3.9/5  rDev +34.9%

A last-minute "what the heck" purchase from Brawley's in Charlotte, NC. Pours out a thin head despite a strong pour. Pale gold color, and the thin head is a wispy crown that holds on for awhile.

Aroma is straw, faint honey, candy corns (yeah, those Halloween candies), apple, white grape. All incredibly faint, but nothing awful either. I would've expected more alcohol, but I'm not getting it.

Flavor is thankfully all the things I like about this style and none of the bad. The 9.5% alcohol is kept in check, only providing a slightly boozy warming, not at all a detriment to the other flavors. And those mirror the nose--love the white grape aspect, the apple (red and green) and honey. Birthday cake frosting too. Barely any detectable hops but they're clearly here offsetting the interesting malt elements--otherwise this would probably be too sweet.

Mouthfeel has a syrupy edge, although the carbonation and thinner character of a lager are here.

Gotta give it to this one, the flavor is completely enjoyable. I've always liked this idea of this style but never found a decent representative until now. It may not look the business, and the smell is dull, but it performs where it matters most. Euro Strong Lagers could be the next thing for U.S. brewers to mess with--I'd love to see it. The strange name and weirdly sexy/disturbing label probably don't do it justice. I'd buy it again, as $2.99 a bottle seems fair.

2.83/5  rDev -2.1%

here goes nothing...

A: just about a perfect golden color, darn close. Slightly hazy in the glass with tangerine colors in cohorts with the gold. Absolutely no cap or foam, just a few fat bubbles around the rim of the glass. I know the alcohol plays part in diminishing the head/lace but this is bonkers! Nothing at all!

S: surprisingly sweet and tart notes in the nose of apples, lemons and what reminds me of orange soda with floral notes. Pale malts are hidden among the sweets

T: this is by far not as bad as I was thinking after my initial whiffs. Malt and grain profile is kicked up a few notes but still is hidden by the sugary tartness of sour apples and oranges paired with floral and earthy notes. After a few sips the hops push more at bitterness and do tame the sweetness a bit.
Also, the alcohol is masked in the nose as well as on the tongue, however it does make a showing with half my glass gone

M: goes down without difficulty and has a tame feel, body is mild

D: i have become unhinged by this beer and its flavors and bizarre presentation/aesthetics. This beer has a type of stalwartness with a large dose intractably for the drinker

1.54/5  rDev -46.7%

A - This odd artwork on the bottle caught my eye. A lobster on a girl's back? Girl with the lobster tattoo? Pours clear and dark yellow with a small white head and virtually no lace.

S - Pungent turpentine and isopropenol (the stuff your doc used to swab your arm before a shot) over a sickly sweet malt base.

T - I don't know what they are going for here with the lobster thing, but all I taste is potent malt liquor-esque brew. There is a salty sweetness that could sort of be a lobster flavor.... I've probably only had lobster twice in my life.

M - Sugary and dense in a dextriny way, but not really full bodied. Finishes chemically and boozy.

Pass.

2.75/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured from the 500ml bottle into a pint glass. Body is a bright golden color, topped by a half-inch head that quickly recedes to a very thin layer. Aroma of sweet adjunct malt, treacle, and a hint of tropical fruit.
Palate is sweet with fruity, adjunct malt, and a very slight hoppy bitterness. Finish leaves a lingering sweetness, with a touch of warmth. A mild chalky character is not particularly pleasant. While the alcohol is well-integrated, this is not exactly a beer I'd like to try again. Try again, Lithuania.

2.3/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served from bottle into a Hair of the Dog tulip. Poured a golden yellow with a minimal white head. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, corn, floral, grain, and fruit. The flavor was of sweet malt, corn, fruit, alcohol, grain, and floral. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty below average brew. I bought this to amuse beeruser and funkydelic at GBX as they laughed when they suggest that I tick it. Phew! I now know why... The manager at Trappe Door described it as 'hot trash'. Not only does this thing not appeal to the palate, it does not do so for the eye either. I didn't know what to expect going into this one and there was honestly no way I could have prepared myself short of pounding a few 40's prior to this one. Just so harsh in flavors like nails on the chalkboard. Yeah guys, you got me good. Based on this one Lithuania should stick to whatever they are good at and leave beer alone in my opinion...

2.8/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Pours a clear yellow, decent head that dissipates quickly. Smells of grassiness with some floral notes, corn like sweetness. Tastes of sweet syrupy like malt with just a touch of bitterness. Alcohol fairly overwhelms this beer finishing fairly sweet and corny.

A pretty bad beer, doesn't bring much to the table besides corn like sweetness. Just a touch of grassiness saves this from being truly terrible, but just barely. Alcohol is pretty strong as well

2.94/5  rDev +1.7%

A- Pours a slightly hazy honey color with an average white head which quickly dissipates.
S- Sweet aroma similar to a Helles Bock; honey-like with hints of brown sugar and cotton candy; just a slight herbal hop note.
T- Initial flavor is sweet malt, like the aroma suggested. Unfortunately, the flavor goes downhill from there. An astringent bitterness kicks in along with a distinct alcohol burn, with both sensations lingering in the dry finish.
M- Thin; this is one of the big problems with this beer. For the amount of alcohol and bitterness hops, you need a heavy, malty beer to hold up, and this beer just doesn't have it.
D- Without sufficient body, the drinkability (even by 9.5% ABV standards) takes a hit.

Overall: This beer comes off as a thin-bodied Maibock. Ultimately, this beer shows what happens when you brew a Maibock without a nice, malty backbone, and in the process shows why a nice, malty backbone is essential to a Maibock. Still, it's not a horrible beer and is worth it for the bottle alone.

2.48/5  rDev -14.2%

pours semi hazy golden orange with a 1 finger head that faded fast and left no lacing

smells of sweet fruity malt and nail polish remover

taste is way too sweet and boozy and there is also some funky metal flavors

mouthfeel is nice - medium body good carbonation that gives it a smooth creamy finish

drinkability - another drain pour for the night i wouldnt buy this beer again even if i was wanting to catch a cheap buzz

2.7/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours out a wheat clear color with one finger of white suds and little to no lacing.
Not a lot of aroma here. Very faint malt and hops here and very little else.
Taste is bland at best. Some caramel and hops and that is it.
This is not very good for a 9.5% but you can 't tell that there is that much alcohol in this stuff.

3.51/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Lobster Lovers Beer has a thick, foamy, yellowish-white head, lots of thick lacing, an enormous amount of bubbles, and a hazy, orange-gold appearance. The aroma is very strong and bracing- one gets super-sweet, alcohilic barley malt and candi sugar. Taste is of sickly-sweet barley malt, melted hard candy, alcohol, barley malt, and bread. Mouthfeel is heavy, and Lobster Lovers Beer finishes sweet, harsh, and minimally drinkable. But, even with all the harshness and the jarring experience, it is a good one, and I score it excellent.

RJT

Fist off, I've played a lot of shows around the Cleveland, Ohio area. I get drink tickets and like to try new beers each time. I came across Lobster at my local Rieders here in concord Ohio. It was very cheap for $1.99 us, 9.5%. I have been hooked since only need a couple of these to last all night long.

Yes, I've heard the taste is strong or miserable, tastes like toilet water, bottle drained,for others online. I have to beg the differ. I tell people about lobster lovers all the time, give it away to friends, ect,.

It recently has risen in price to $2.49. (1pt .09oz) I'm hooked and will gladly pay it.

If this is considered an "ok" as far as taste to price for European standards, I'd like to try a better!

2.32/5  rDev -19.7%

I got a bottle of Rinkuškiai Alaus Darykloje's Lobster Lovers Beer that my brother brought back from his trip down south. I have had a couple different Lithuanian beers a while ago but they never turned out good and since I'm half Lithuanian I feel like I need to give their beers another chance, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 16.9oz bottle into a Pilsener glass.

A- I really like the label on this beer, it looks good and it's really eye catching, nicely done. It poured a pretty clear golden yellow color that took on a bright orange tint when held to the light and it had three fingers worth of foam that faded to nothing pretty fast. This was a goof looking beer, but I would have liked better head retention.

S- Wow this is one sweet smelling beer. It starts out with tons of sweetness followed by a very apple juice like aroma. I also get some candied sugar and some more apples that smell tart and sour. At the end I picked up some alcohol that when combined with the apple cider aspect gives this beer an aroma that is very similar to a hard cider. I'm not impressed with the aroma, way too sweet and it smells more like a Hard Cider then a beer.

T- Unfortunately the taste is similar to the aroma. It starts off with a little bit of booze to greet you then right after that comes a large amount of very sweet malts that impart a thick molasses like flavor and an apple cider like flavor followed by a little more chemical like alcohol. The finish has a lighter amount of bitterness with a slight sweet and tangy taste and a sweet malt and slightly boozy aftertaste. I didn't enjoy the flavors of this beer, it was way to sweet and boozy with those flavors sticking out the most, not a fan.

M- Not too smooth, cloying, slightly dry, on the fuller side of being medium bodied, and it had a higher amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, but it was a little too cloying.

Overall I wasn't a fan of this beer and I thought it was a below average to average Euron Strong Lager, I haven't had this style before so I can't say for sure, but Beeradvocate says that the style is the European version of Malt Liquor, so I think this is right around average and tastes similar to some shitty Malt Liquors I have had. This beer didn't have good drinkability, it went down a little rough and it was boozy, I am glad I am splitting this bottle, I don't think I could drink it all by myself. What I liked most about this beer was the way it looked, it looked pretty nice in a Pilsener glass, the only flaw was the head retention. What I liked least about this beer was the aroma and taste, they wen't that good and were overly sweet and boozy. I wouldn't buy this beer again, if I wanted a beer that tasted like this I would save some money and just a buy a shitty can of Malt Liquor, I don't recommend this beer to anyone even Lithuanians. This was my first beer from this brewery and I wasn't a fan which didn't make for a good first impression. I have yet to find a decent tasting Lithuanian beer, but I haven't given up hope just yet... the search continues.

2.75/5  rDev -4.8%

Wow - this beer is really foul..

3.62/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A pale yellow with thin white head that fades fast but leaves nice lacing. The smell is a sweet malty bomb of pilsner malt, honey, caramel, banana, and spice. The taste is malty, honey sweet, fruity, a bit cloying but the alcohol was hidden well. Creamy, full bodied and slightly syrupy. Interesting beer. Almost like a lighter version of Samiclaus. Too sweet for me.

2.92/5  rDev +1%

Okay, so the appearance has to be discussed, correct? Big half litre bottle with a lobster "comforting" a nude female. Huh? The back label asks "Has life ever snapped at you?" and suggests that you "Grab it by the claws!". Words don't do this justice. The fact that it is odd, coma inducing Lithuanian swill that we're discussing here just adds to the tasty strangeness.

Anyhoo, clear dark yellow hue with no head or bubbles or anything. Nose is sweet and boozy with a touch of dark fruit. Taste is heavily malty and sweet and has all the subtlety of a bazooka. The lesson here is clearly to get blackout drunk as quickly as possible and get some tender stuff from a ruddy crustacean. The texture is thin and the finish is reasonably clean given the metric. Not something to hunt for, but if you find it, feel like getting shitefaced and are in the mood for seafood, you're in luck, or something...

2.99/5  rDev +3.5%

The name made me curious. Label art seems to insinaute that a Lithuanian "lobster lover" is similiar to an American "camel toe," or the famed Canandian "mooseknuckle." Maybe I'm just reading too much into this.

Bright gold with a fizzy head that fizzes out. Boo hiss.

Smells like Steel Reserve -- which smells like rugby practice. Tastes lightly spicey with a buttery chalk alcoholic confusion.

So if this is the Lithuanian equivalent of malt liquor it's good in the sense that it's cheap, alcoholic and could lead to questionable desicion making at social gatherings. Sucess!

1.87/5  rDev -35.3%

A: poured from a 500 ml bottle into a pint glass, pours a yellow straw color with a short loose white head that vanishes quickly leaving little lacing, clear

S: Pilsner like smells of grain and light hops, slight salty smell

T: absolutely awful train wreck of sticky sweet malt liquor, I'm going to have to chug to avoid the pain, has a terrible sweet cream corn flavor combined with a taste that reminds me of the way kerosene smells, this is a travesty of filthy flavor, hint of lobster head goo

M: Christ this is so bad, sticky sweet, way too much alcohol, no carbonation

O: I truly hope no one else has to experience how bad this beer tastes, looks and smells fooled me, if you find yourself in Lithuania needing a drink buy some vodka instead

3.59/5  rDev +24.2%

An impulse buy at Vintage Estate, bought at the recommendation/egging on of Sick Puppy.

Poured into a large tulip pint: Clear pale gold body with 2 fingers of creamy that retains well, dropping to 1 finger. Just a few stray bubbles rising. Maybe it's just the power of suggestion, but the head looks like melted butter with the lipids floating on the top.

Smells of a strong, slightly toasty sweet malt, mild toffee, very subtle earthy hop.

Taste of sugar & a sweet, artificial lemon flavor, like lemon cream pie. Turns to a weizenbock kind of rich sweetness. Mild grape tartness shows up later, alcohol creeps in very gently.

For its strength & sweetness, pretty light-bodied. Leaves a stickiness that I'm not a huge fan of.

Not bad overall, but the unchallenged sweetness was a little much after a bit. High ABV is hardly even noticeable. Not great, but I can see this compliment sweet lobster meat & butter well.

3.66/5  rDev +26.6%

16.9 oz bottle. Pours golden with 1.5 cm white, mostly diminishing head. Aroma is sweet, mostly apple, a little yeasty. Initial flavor is sweet, balanced citrus and apple. Flavor ends on slight yeasty and apple notes and the alcohol catches up at this point. The aftertaste is dominated by the alcohol content. A thinner body, moderate carbonation, alcohol is noticeable as it warms. The flavor of cherry cola only comes out for the aftertaste once the beer warms. Stronger alcohol aroma when the beer warms. Drinkable beer and a nice change of pace from other beers I generally take home.

to view more.