1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Lobster Lovers Beer - Rinkuškiai Alaus Darykloje

Lobster Lovers BeerLobster Lovers Beer

poor

good

Rinkuškiai Alaus Darykloje visit their website
Lithuania

Euro Strong Lager |  9.50% ABV

Red Label

(Beer added by: letsgopens on 12-22-2007)
View: Beers (32) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lobster Lovers Beer Alström Bros
Ratings: 121 | Reviews: 76 | Show All Ratings:
WVbeergeek

1.1/5  rDev -61.4%

"Grab it by the claws!" Wow, 2 dollar pint of 9.5% abv let's get fucked up Lithuanian beer. Pours a deep semi viscous golden orange sunrise hue with a bright quickly dwindling white head. Thin scattered lacing between sips. Aroma is sweet honey tones, green apples, mineral water, barley husks with some cooked creamed corn. Flavor this is malt liquor it might as well come in a forty ounce bottle. Super cloying mess of a beer, just not acceptable. More green apple with honey bursts of gag reflux sweetness, cooked veggies and a bit of rust or penny sucking sensations. Mouthfeel is so bad I can't really stand taking a big gulp it's offensive. Medium bodied cloying mess with residual sugars clouding the palate, it's so bad it's making my head twitch with each sip. Drinkability, I don't think so drain pour, but it was worth the fun.

03-25-2010 03:41:00 | More by WVbeergeek
themind

1.43/5  rDev -49.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

After slamming down two Nugget Nectars I reached for the Lobster Lovers brew to continue the brew fest. Simply put I took one sip and drain poured this poison of a beer. It's as if the creators of this beer took all the lesser parts of S*%T beers to create the ultimate S*%T beer. I would have been better off drinking from the toilet then defiling my taste buds with this stagnant pool water!

Bottom Line: My drain is even complaining about the sewage that it was forced to endure!

02-13-2013 02:20:29 | More by themind
berserker256

1.5/5  rDev -47.4%

I wonder what the hell this label means. A naked chick with a giant lobster on her back. I wish there was a story on the bottle or something. Anyway, it pours out a cloudy brass color and has a dense foamy off-white head. Smells awful. I swear to god I can pick up a hint of Limburger cheese and that's about the last odor you want coming from your beer. Musty like a urine soaked diaper stench exists as well. Old grain. Just awful! I'm switching from a 1.5 to a 1.0 for the smell. Every time I sniff again it gets worse. The taste is ruined by the smell. Those terrible aromas are detected in the flavor also but there's a also a sweet grainy element that improves this whole experience ever so slightly. Did they boil some lobster then use the same water for the brewing process? Appearance and mouthfeel are the only things going for this disaster-of-a-beer. This is the worst beer I've had in a while. I'm choking it down.

01-01-2010 18:45:30 | More by berserker256
Soneast

Wisconsin

1.55/5  rDev -45.6%

Pours a clear golden color with a fairly thick, white colored head.

Basically smells like a cheap malt liquor. That sickly sweet aroma curdles the stomach and then to top it off there is an overwhelming alcohol presence, this does not bode well.

Wow, the flavor is absolutely horrible. I praise the goodness that is BMC in comparison to this beer. Horribly, cloyingly sweet, with a disgusting husky graininess, that ends with a very hot, alcohol burn.

Just a nasty syrupy texture to the beer, with little to no carbonation. Overall one of the worst beers I've ever had. I hate to do it, but this was a definite drain pour. Too much GOOD beer out there to drink, for me to waste a buzz/calories on this swill.

**** Over a year later (11-23-10). I just threw up in my mouth a little, while thinking about this beer. Whew.

09-27-2009 15:19:16 | More by Soneast
pmcadamis

1.58/5  rDev -44.6%

A - This odd artwork on the bottle caught my eye. A lobster on a girl's back? Girl with the lobster tattoo? Pours clear and dark yellow with a small white head and virtually no lace.

S - Pungent turpentine and isopropenol (the stuff your doc used to swab your arm before a shot) over a sickly sweet malt base.

T - I don't know what they are going for here with the lobster thing, but all I taste is potent malt liquor-esque brew. There is a salty sweetness that could sort of be a lobster flavor.... I've probably only had lobster twice in my life.

M - Sugary and dense in a dextriny way, but not really full bodied. Finishes chemically and boozy.

Pass.

11-18-2012 23:14:36 | More by pmcadamis
M_C_Hampton

1.75/5  rDev -38.6%

A: poured from a 500 ml bottle into a pint glass, pours a yellow straw color with a short loose white head that vanishes quickly leaving little lacing, clear

S: Pilsner like smells of grain and light hops, slight salty smell

T: absolutely awful train wreck of sticky sweet malt liquor, I'm going to have to chug to avoid the pain, has a terrible sweet cream corn flavor combined with a taste that reminds me of the way kerosene smells, this is a travesty of filthy flavor, hint of lobster head goo

M: Christ this is so bad, sticky sweet, way too much alcohol, no carbonation

O: I truly hope no one else has to experience how bad this beer tastes, looks and smells fooled me, if you find yourself in Lithuania needing a drink buy some vodka instead

01-08-2013 02:30:47 | More by M_C_Hampton
OWSLEY069

1.95/5  rDev -31.6%

Pours a clean deep yellow color with a white head. In the aroma, big alcohol, with small fruitiness mixed in there. In the taste, a small sweetness of fruit and a dry alcohol presence all the way through. An alcohol bite and a medium to lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a dry alcohol aftertaste. It took me a minute, but this would compliment lobster and butter really well, but as a beer on it's own, it is struggling.

01-02-2012 14:38:01 | More by OWSLEY069
stoutman

This beer started off O.K., as I served it very cold. In the mouth, I thought the alcohol was well blended and nothing really jumped out - slight citrus and sweet flavors. However, the finish, especially as it grew less cold, became more and more offensive. Highly alcoholic finish. However, I won't be getting another.

12-18-2010 03:09:05 | More by stoutman
froghop

Washington

2.03/5  rDev -28.8%

pours a clear light amber with a thin white head that dissipates rapidly, and okay lacing.

smell is faint, grain, light malt, and earth.

taste is thick, sweet malt, some caramel, grain, slight skunky aftertaste, no taste of alcohol with a 9.5%, ends sweet.

04-18-2009 03:08:39 | More by froghop
nniicckkww

2.1/5  rDev -26.3%

I had to buy this beer given the most unusual label. I was also amazed at the 9.5% abv when I inspected the fine print on the bottle.

Poured hard into a pint glass. No head and little carbonation. Slightly yellow orangish color surprised me as I was expecting a very pale lager. Smell was sickly sweet and made me dread the first sip.

Medium light body with sweet aftertaste. The first few sips were detestable. I was surprised how the alcohol was masked though. Also, not very bitter. As I got half way through the beer, the drinkability improved drastically. I would say the first sip was a 1.0 and the last sip was around a 3.

Love the label! I think my first Lithuanian beer.

11-23-2010 16:42:57 | More by nniicckkww
schoolboy

2.17/5  rDev -23.9%

Drinking this beer makes me ask a few questions. Why did I buy this? Why did they make a lager this strong that tastes like horrible cheap American booze beer? How can I help prevent others from making this error?

What also worries me is that I bought something else by this brewer. I will make sure I have had several others before I try it (to dull the pain). This was a bad purchase.

I think it is the nasty malty flavor not balanced by decent hops that makes this taste so bad. I don't get the almost sexy label (or name, for that matter) either.

06-27-2010 03:52:11 | More by schoolboy
Roman5150

Spain

2.18/5  rDev -23.5%

bottle into tulip

appearance: clear golden yellow, 1 finger white head

smell: butter, bready, booze, some notes of wet dog

taste: Alcohol, butter, maybe it's subconscious but this really tastes like lobster. Very warm and the alcohol lingers well into the aftertaste. NOt very refreshing, rather disgusting.

mouthfeel: not much carbonation, thin bodied

overall: Not something I would drink again, just really boozy version of a euro style lager, not very good. But for the ABV and price, it's not a bad option in that regard. With that said, this was my first drain pour.

07-15-2013 04:59:10 | More by Roman5150
thagr81us

South Carolina

2.28/5  rDev -20%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served from bottle into a Hair of the Dog tulip. Poured a golden yellow with a minimal white head. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, corn, floral, grain, and fruit. The flavor was of sweet malt, corn, fruit, alcohol, grain, and floral. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty below average brew. I bought this to amuse beeruser and funkydelic at GBX as they laughed when they suggest that I tick it. Phew! I now know why... The manager at Trappe Door described it as 'hot trash'. Not only does this thing not appeal to the palate, it does not do so for the eye either. I didn't know what to expect going into this one and there was honestly no way I could have prepared myself short of pounding a few 40's prior to this one. Just so harsh in flavors like nails on the chalkboard. Yeah guys, you got me good. Based on this one Lithuania should stick to whatever they are good at and leave beer alone in my opinion...

08-07-2012 18:18:02 | More by thagr81us
StoutHunter

2.3/5  rDev -19.3%

I got a bottle of Rinkuškiai Alaus Darykloje's Lobster Lovers Beer that my brother brought back from his trip down south. I have had a couple different Lithuanian beers a while ago but they never turned out good and since I'm half Lithuanian I feel like I need to give their beers another chance, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 16.9oz bottle into a Pilsener glass.

A- I really like the label on this beer, it looks good and it's really eye catching, nicely done. It poured a pretty clear golden yellow color that took on a bright orange tint when held to the light and it had three fingers worth of foam that faded to nothing pretty fast. This was a goof looking beer, but I would have liked better head retention.

S- Wow this is one sweet smelling beer. It starts out with tons of sweetness followed by a very apple juice like aroma. I also get some candied sugar and some more apples that smell tart and sour. At the end I picked up some alcohol that when combined with the apple cider aspect gives this beer an aroma that is very similar to a hard cider. I'm not impressed with the aroma, way too sweet and it smells more like a Hard Cider then a beer.

T- Unfortunately the taste is similar to the aroma. It starts off with a little bit of booze to greet you then right after that comes a large amount of very sweet malts that impart a thick molasses like flavor and an apple cider like flavor followed by a little more chemical like alcohol. The finish has a lighter amount of bitterness with a slight sweet and tangy taste and a sweet malt and slightly boozy aftertaste. I didn't enjoy the flavors of this beer, it was way to sweet and boozy with those flavors sticking out the most, not a fan.

M- Not too smooth, cloying, slightly dry, on the fuller side of being medium bodied, and it had a higher amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, but it was a little too cloying.

Overall I wasn't a fan of this beer and I thought it was a below average to average Euron Strong Lager, I haven't had this style before so I can't say for sure, but Beeradvocate says that the style is the European version of Malt Liquor, so I think this is right around average and tastes similar to some shitty Malt Liquors I have had. This beer didn't have good drinkability, it went down a little rough and it was boozy, I am glad I am splitting this bottle, I don't think I could drink it all by myself. What I liked most about this beer was the way it looked, it looked pretty nice in a Pilsener glass, the only flaw was the head retention. What I liked least about this beer was the aroma and taste, they wen't that good and were overly sweet and boozy. I wouldn't buy this beer again, if I wanted a beer that tasted like this I would save some money and just a buy a shitty can of Malt Liquor, I don't recommend this beer to anyone even Lithuanians. This was my first beer from this brewery and I wasn't a fan which didn't make for a good first impression. I have yet to find a decent tasting Lithuanian beer, but I haven't given up hope just yet... the search continues.

04-24-2012 03:50:20 | More by StoutHunter
TheBierBand

2.33/5  rDev -18.2%

My wife picked this up for me... along with 6 or 7 other beers to try... yeah.... she's a keeper!!

Poured into a pint glass to produce a nice 1" head of off white loose foam.... the beer itself was a clear golden/orange color. The head immediately dwindled to absolutely NOTHING in a couple minutes leaving not a trace of lace on the glass....

The nose was actually rather interesting for this beer. I could pick up a spiciness Like candied cinnemon, that kind of surprised me.... and a bit of a malt back bone. Not too complex.

Taste was... ummmm.... different. I don't think I like this too much. A little spicy.... a little corney.... alcohol is not well hidden.

MF: A little thicker than water... but not nearly as robust as I'd like... but it's a lager, so....

Drinkability: No thanks... I'll choke this one back.... but I'll not be seeking this one out again....

07-14-2009 18:45:07 | More by TheBierBand
ChainGangGuy

2.35/5  rDev -17.5%

What a creepy-looking label! Someone get that rotten lobster off that person.

Appearance: Pours a clear, golden body with a small, frothy white head.

Smell: Sweet-smelling pale malts with a faux floral waft of cleaning solution.

Taste: Strongly sweet malt flavor with an odd, industrial-strength astringency and some questionable flowery hints. Pair that with the hot alcohol taste and the whole thing becomes off-putting.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: The kind of beer that just begs to be drank straight from the bottle wrapped in a brown paper bag.

04-07-2008 23:23:09 | More by ChainGangGuy
Duhast500

Rhode Island

2.35/5  rDev -17.5%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a pint glass.

The color is a clear gold with a finger of foamy white head and no lacing.

The smell is a light spicy flavor and a bit of citrus flavor.

The taste seems to take a left turn and is a bit tough to place. A bitter flavor takes this beer from beginning to end and does kick in the aftertaste. A little too bitter and does not seem to come from any hops.

The feel of this beer is medium at first but seems to kick with a strong bitterness before long. Not my favorite import by far and a beer that would take some getting used to.

06-02-2010 03:14:59 | More by Duhast500
ndekke39

2.38/5  rDev -16.5%

A friend gave me a bottle of this for Christmas. I have my doubts, but I'll give it a try... Decanted into a pint glass. Lots of foam on the pour, which descends quickly, and leaves the beer a mostly clear pale yellow. Only a very thin white ring of lace left.

Smell is pretty simple: bread, honey, and a musty quality. A little chemical-y, too. Like formaldehyde.

Taste is not good. Starts out with a touch of honey sweet, then quickly becomes a mash-up of sour bitterness. Like a really sharp sourdough bread, but not in a good way. Fortunately, the flavors fade quickly. But they leave a sort of chemical coating on your tongue - at least it feels that way.

Mouthfeel is just really fizzy, but only briefly. Then it's just watery.

I can't really drink much of this beyond the sips it's taking me to review this beer. Just too many bad flavors at work. You can pass on this one.

03-10-2009 00:12:47 | More by ndekke39
jsh420

2.42/5  rDev -15.1%

pours semi hazy golden orange with a 1 finger head that faded fast and left no lacing

smells of sweet fruity malt and nail polish remover

taste is way too sweet and boozy and there is also some funky metal flavors

mouthfeel is nice - medium body good carbonation that gives it a smooth creamy finish

drinkability - another drain pour for the night i wouldnt buy this beer again even if i was wanting to catch a cheap buzz

09-19-2010 02:14:33 | More by jsh420
chinchill

South Carolina

2.45/5  rDev -14%

16.9 oz bottle served in pint glass.

A - clear golden color with a frothy white head that quickly disappears.

S - malty lager with high ABV

T -Mostly toasted malt but a bit of metaliic bitter taste too.
High (9.5%) ABV is too obvious and alcohol detracts from flavor.

M - light/medium body; low carbonation.

02-06-2011 22:12:01 | More by chinchill
Knapp85

2.45/5  rDev -14%

This beer poured out with a typical yellow color with a white fizzy head on it. Lots of bubbles rising in this one but the head fades away and doesn't leave much lacing at all. The smell is pretty much like any other lager out there. The taste is stronger than I expected. a decent amount of flavors in there but nothing that really makes it taste good to me. The mouthfeel is pretty light and the ABV will run its course quickly if you let it. I can't see myself drinking these back to back though.

04-25-2011 02:12:12 | More by Knapp85
SuperSpy

2.48/5  rDev -13%

A - Crystal clear, a very dark yellow (almost golden). A nice eggshell head but it dies to nothing incredibly quickly.

S - The aroma is very faint. There is some very light graininess, a hint of bitter hops, but it's all very faint.

S/M - Much sweeter than I expected. An almost apple juice like flavor with a very bitter finish. The finish is a little off putting.

D - This isn't terrible, but not something I would drink again.

01-10-2011 21:55:18 | More by SuperSpy
Mistofminn

2.53/5  rDev -11.2%

This is a strange beer with a strange label. Seriously I don't get the label. Still, even though I do not like lobster (honestly I don't) I'm curious to see what this is like.

Pours a bright clear gold with hints of copper (must be the lobster pigment...) with a fizzy white head that is gone in seconds. Little disappointing.

Smells of grains and musty malts. It leaves me wondering...where is the lobster?

Taste is the same as the nose, musty earthy malts and grains...and *gasp* no lobster? Extremely boring...but not awful. Alcohol is noticeable.

Mouthfeel is light to medium with a high carbonation that cuts the sweetness and flavorless liquid that is Lobster Lovers. Drinkability is pretty poor.

Overall, not something I enjoyed, but something I'm glad I tried. I was disappointed but glad at the same time that there was no Lobster flavors in this one. A strange name for a beer, but honestly how else would this beer sell. Great marketing technique if you ask me.

12-28-2009 09:45:12 | More by Mistofminn
projectflam86

2.55/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A- Pours a clear yellow color with a very thin white head that receeded to nothing.

S- Faint grain and loads of alcohol. A bit of yeast and sweetness.

T- Very sweet initially with a solventy finish. The alcohol is quite brash and the overall flavor does little to mask it.

M- Medium bodied with high carbonation.

D- This one wasn't for me. Too boozy and sweet.

01-03-2010 05:59:15 | More by projectflam86
snaotheus

Washington

2.58/5  rDev -9.5%

16.9 oz bottle poured into a giant snifter, and now I'm stuck with the prospect of finishing it.

Bright golden with medium head -- doesn't look bad. However, it smells like Budweiser concentrate + everclear.

Taste is sweet and lagery with an alcohol and unpleasant sour aftertaste. It seems to get worse as I drink it, which is directly opposite of most beers I drink.

Mouthfeel is OK, slightly filmy, very light and effervescent.

Not very drinkable -- I'm not looking forward to finishing it, but it's not so bad I feel I should dump it out.

They're very proud of how strong it is. It has a big hanging tag on it advertising 9.5% ABV. Good for them.

08-31-2009 00:34:30 | More by snaotheus