Lobster Lovers Beer - Rinkuškiai

Lithuania

Euro Strong Lager |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: letsgopens on 12-22-2007

Red Label
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 138 | Reviews: 79
2.73/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a dark orange golden with a lacy head.

S: Alcohol and sweet malt.

T: Cloyingly sweet with Banana and clove notes. I cannot detect any hop presence. (likely due to the ABV-boosting adjuncts)

M: Thick and viscous. Hard to drink many. (unless you were already tanked)

D: Nothing too offensive to say no. That's why it gets a 3.5

2.26/5  rDev -21.8%

Drinking this beer makes me ask a few questions. Why did I buy this? Why did they make a lager this strong that tastes like horrible cheap American booze beer? How can I help prevent others from making this error?

What also worries me is that I bought something else by this brewer. I will make sure I have had several others before I try it (to dull the pain). This was a bad purchase.

I think it is the nasty malty flavor not balanced by decent hops that makes this taste so bad. I don't get the almost sexy label (or name, for that matter) either.

2.38/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a pint glass.

The color is a clear gold with a finger of foamy white head and no lacing.

The smell is a light spicy flavor and a bit of citrus flavor.

The taste seems to take a left turn and is a bit tough to place. A bitter flavor takes this beer from beginning to end and does kick in the aftertaste. A little too bitter and does not seem to come from any hops.

The feel of this beer is medium at first but seems to kick with a strong bitterness before long. Not my favorite import by far and a beer that would take some getting used to.

2.65/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured from a bottle on 4-7-10

A - Pours a clear light golden yellow with no foam at all.

S - light malts, some slight earthy hops break through, not a whole lot going on here

T - light malts and some lemon, overall not a very enjoyable taste

M - light, crisp with good carbonation

D - easy to drink because there isn't very much going on here. I think I will pass next time.

2.68/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The label said "Porter" but it's actually a lager. It pours a nice clear medium amber, more like a fine ale than a lager, with a decent off-white head. Aroma is crisp and malty, typical for a lager. Flavor is rather sweet and fruity, just a little malty. Texture is quite smooth and hardly fizzy at all.

3.59/5  rDev +24.2%

An impulse buy at Vintage Estate, bought at the recommendation/egging on of Sick Puppy.

Poured into a large tulip pint: Clear pale gold body with 2 fingers of creamy that retains well, dropping to 1 finger. Just a few stray bubbles rising. Maybe it's just the power of suggestion, but the head looks like melted butter with the lipids floating on the top.

Smells of a strong, slightly toasty sweet malt, mild toffee, very subtle earthy hop.

Taste of sugar & a sweet, artificial lemon flavor, like lemon cream pie. Turns to a weizenbock kind of rich sweetness. Mild grape tartness shows up later, alcohol creeps in very gently.

For its strength & sweetness, pretty light-bodied. Leaves a stickiness that I'm not a huge fan of.

Not bad overall, but the unchallenged sweetness was a little much after a bit. High ABV is hardly even noticeable. Not great, but I can see this compliment sweet lobster meat & butter well.

1.12/5  rDev -61.2%

"Grab it by the claws!" Wow, 2 dollar pint of 9.5% abv let's get fucked up Lithuanian beer. Pours a deep semi viscous golden orange sunrise hue with a bright quickly dwindling white head. Thin scattered lacing between sips. Aroma is sweet honey tones, green apples, mineral water, barley husks with some cooked creamed corn. Flavor this is malt liquor it might as well come in a forty ounce bottle. Super cloying mess of a beer, just not acceptable. More green apple with honey bursts of gag reflux sweetness, cooked veggies and a bit of rust or penny sucking sensations. Mouthfeel is so bad I can't really stand taking a big gulp it's offensive. Medium bodied cloying mess with residual sugars clouding the palate, it's so bad it's making my head twitch with each sip. Drinkability, I don't think so drain pour, but it was worth the fun.

3.78/5  rDev +30.8%

A: Pours a deep honey color, and looks like the same consistency. A nice bright white head on top dissipates to a film, nice lacing.

S: Not much going on here, smells kind of like rice and cheap malt, with a little sweetness to it.

T: Wow, so much better than I expected. Some tasty malts with a honey sweetness to it, caramel malty, and slightly boozy flavor at the end. A hint of fruit in there as well, and even a biscuity quality.

M: Very smooth, medium body. Sticking to the "honey" theme, carbonated honey, if that makes sense. ABV hidden very well.

D: This stuff is easy to put down, especially for almost 10% ABV. It was pretty cheap too, about $2.50-$3.00 for a pint. Will definitely purchase again.

EDIT: I don't know why this beer is so unpopular. Normally I would be the first to bash import lagers, but to me, this one is a winner.

2.55/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A- Pours a clear yellow color with a very thin white head that receeded to nothing.

S- Faint grain and loads of alcohol. A bit of yeast and sweetness.

T- Very sweet initially with a solventy finish. The alcohol is quite brash and the overall flavor does little to mask it.

M- Medium bodied with high carbonation.

D- This one wasn't for me. Too boozy and sweet.

1.5/5  rDev -48.1%

I wonder what the hell this label means. A naked chick with a giant lobster on her back. I wish there was a story on the bottle or something. Anyway, it pours out a cloudy brass color and has a dense foamy off-white head. Smells awful. I swear to god I can pick up a hint of Limburger cheese and that's about the last odor you want coming from your beer. Musty like a urine soaked diaper stench exists as well. Old grain. Just awful! I'm switching from a 1.5 to a 1.0 for the smell. Every time I sniff again it gets worse. The taste is ruined by the smell. Those terrible aromas are detected in the flavor also but there's a also a sweet grainy element that improves this whole experience ever so slightly. Did they boil some lobster then use the same water for the brewing process? Appearance and mouthfeel are the only things going for this disaster-of-a-beer. This is the worst beer I've had in a while. I'm choking it down.

2.52/5  rDev -12.8%

This is a strange beer with a strange label. Seriously I don't get the label. Still, even though I do not like lobster (honestly I don't) I'm curious to see what this is like.

Pours a bright clear gold with hints of copper (must be the lobster pigment...) with a fizzy white head that is gone in seconds. Little disappointing.

Smells of grains and musty malts. It leaves me wondering...where is the lobster?

Taste is the same as the nose, musty earthy malts and grains...and *gasp* no lobster? Extremely boring...but not awful. Alcohol is noticeable.

Mouthfeel is light to medium with a high carbonation that cuts the sweetness and flavorless liquid that is Lobster Lovers. Drinkability is pretty poor.

Overall, not something I enjoyed, but something I'm glad I tried. I was disappointed but glad at the same time that there was no Lobster flavors in this one. A strange name for a beer, but honestly how else would this beer sell. Great marketing technique if you ask me.

2.8/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Pours a clear yellow, decent head that dissipates quickly. Smells of grassiness with some floral notes, corn like sweetness. Tastes of sweet syrupy like malt with just a touch of bitterness. Alcohol fairly overwhelms this beer finishing fairly sweet and corny.

A pretty bad beer, doesn't bring much to the table besides corn like sweetness. Just a touch of grassiness saves this from being truly terrible, but just barely. Alcohol is pretty strong as well

3.35/5  rDev +15.9%

Lobster is a hazy, amber-orange in color with a half inch, white head that quickly fades to nothing. The aroma is a combination of sweet and sour. Wow, the taste! Impossibly strong alcohol taste right out of the barrel. It doesn't even taste like beer, more like a weak whiskey sour. But hold on, as Lobster warms the bite of the alcohol is tamed and out come some of the other flavors. The promise of the aroma is realized, malty sweetness and sour peach in a nice balance. Mouth feel is light to medium bodied with little carbonation. Drinkability is reasonably good.

Lobster Lovers certainly does not taste like a lager, Euro strong or any other, but it's not bad as a novelty beer. I enjoyed it, I just don't want to enjoy it that often.

1.58/5  rDev -45.3%

Pours a clear golden color with a fairly thick, white colored head.

Basically smells like a cheap malt liquor. That sickly sweet aroma curdles the stomach and then to top it off there is an overwhelming alcohol presence, this does not bode well.

Wow, the flavor is absolutely horrible. I praise the goodness that is BMC in comparison to this beer. Horribly, cloyingly sweet, with a disgusting husky graininess, that ends with a very hot, alcohol burn.

Just a nasty syrupy texture to the beer, with little to no carbonation. Overall one of the worst beers I've ever had. I hate to do it, but this was a definite drain pour. Too much GOOD beer out there to drink, for me to waste a buzz/calories on this swill.

**** Over a year later (11-23-10). I just threw up in my mouth a little, while thinking about this beer. Whew.

2.57/5  rDev -11.1%

16.9 oz bottle poured into a giant snifter, and now I'm stuck with the prospect of finishing it.

Bright golden with medium head -- doesn't look bad. However, it smells like Budweiser concentrate + everclear.

Taste is sweet and lagery with an alcohol and unpleasant sour aftertaste. It seems to get worse as I drink it, which is directly opposite of most beers I drink.

Mouthfeel is OK, slightly filmy, very light and effervescent.

Not very drinkable -- I'm not looking forward to finishing it, but it's not so bad I feel I should dump it out.

They're very proud of how strong it is. It has a big hanging tag on it advertising 9.5% ABV. Good for them.

2.99/5  rDev +3.5%

The name made me curious. Label art seems to insinaute that a Lithuanian "lobster lover" is similiar to an American "camel toe," or the famed Canandian "mooseknuckle." Maybe I'm just reading too much into this.

Bright gold with a fizzy head that fizzes out. Boo hiss.

Smells like Steel Reserve -- which smells like rugby practice. Tastes lightly spicey with a buttery chalk alcoholic confusion.

So if this is the Lithuanian equivalent of malt liquor it's good in the sense that it's cheap, alcoholic and could lead to questionable desicion making at social gatherings. Sucess!

2.75/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured from the 500ml bottle into a pint glass. Body is a bright golden color, topped by a half-inch head that quickly recedes to a very thin layer. Aroma of sweet adjunct malt, treacle, and a hint of tropical fruit.
Palate is sweet with fruity, adjunct malt, and a very slight hoppy bitterness. Finish leaves a lingering sweetness, with a touch of warmth. A mild chalky character is not particularly pleasant. While the alcohol is well-integrated, this is not exactly a beer I'd like to try again. Try again, Lithuania.

2.39/5  rDev -17.3%

My wife picked this up for me... along with 6 or 7 other beers to try... yeah.... she's a keeper!!

Poured into a pint glass to produce a nice 1" head of off white loose foam.... the beer itself was a clear golden/orange color. The head immediately dwindled to absolutely NOTHING in a couple minutes leaving not a trace of lace on the glass....

The nose was actually rather interesting for this beer. I could pick up a spiciness Like candied cinnemon, that kind of surprised me.... and a bit of a malt back bone. Not too complex.

Taste was... ummmm.... different. I don't think I like this too much. A little spicy.... a little corney.... alcohol is not well hidden.

MF: A little thicker than water... but not nearly as robust as I'd like... but it's a lager, so....

Drinkability: No thanks... I'll choke this one back.... but I'll not be seeking this one out again....

2.62/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a pint. Bottle sports a big red neck hanging label that procliams 9.5% in big huge font. I might be worried.

Pours a pale golden color with a small super fizzy head that dies almost immediately and leaves a little ring and no cap.

Aroma is of boozey light malt, husky and slightly corny. There is a small whiff of floral noble hop, but it so small I'm not sure. Huskey grain smells sweet and very warm.

Flavor is light grain and yes, a smallish amount of noble flavor. The usual euro lager flavors of crackery, husky grain, slightly skunky noble hop flavor like a marginal pils. I know this may be hard to believe but the predominant flavor is alcohol, I know who'd a thunk it? Alcohol is burning and phenolic.

Mouthfeel is thin and crisp. Carbonation is almost too much, but it cuts the sweetness and alcohol. Slightly sticky on the end.

Wow, brutal booze makes this one hard to swallow. If your looking for a malt liquor that kinda tastes like a bad pils..by all means hook it up.

Seriously...Pass

2.03/5  rDev -29.8%

pours a clear light amber with a thin white head that dissipates rapidly, and okay lacing.

smell is faint, grain, light malt, and earth.

taste is thick, sweet malt, some caramel, grain, slight skunky aftertaste, no taste of alcohol with a 9.5%, ends sweet.

2.93/5  rDev +1.4%

I'm not a big fan of lobster... Lets see how this one plays out. (holy crap, 9.5% abv)

Pours a clear golden color with white head that quickly dissipates.

Smells vaguely of hops. Very faint odor.

Doesn;t taste bad at all. You can definately taste the alcohol, the hops hit first followed by the sweet balance of malt which in turn converts to the burn of alcohol. I keep tasting butter but I think that's becaue it keeps making me think of lobster.

Very smooth on the palate, a nice balanced carbonation level and no unpleasant after taste.

It's drinkable. I can't imagine pounding something with an abv this high over and over again, but it's certainly not a beer I'd be opposed to drinking again... though probably not very often.

3.06/5  rDev +5.9%

Bottle courtesy of dkachur - thanks! Poured into a small brandy snifter.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden amber, capped by a fast-fading, nearly white head of poor retention but that still somehow manages to leave huge swaths of nice lacing and a big, thick, sticky, solid collar. The carbonation is plentiful, fine, and very, very fast, indicative of a thin beer, unfortunately.

Aroma: Heavy, sticky, candied fruits dominate, traditional of the style, though not particularly pleasant. Those slightly roasted, syrupy, heavy malt notes don't add much to it either.

Taste: Incredibly sweet malts dominate, honey-like and pale, though very light. Heavy candied sugar notes, pears, green apple. Slight nutty overtones, strangely enough. And, oh yes, a fair amount of warming, chemically alcohol. Average.

Mouthfeel: Thick, cloying, heavy, sticky, but still somehow uneven.

Drinkability: Very average, even for the style, which I'm trying to rate to very hard here. Just not a terribly good beer, with a lot of strange, yeasty, "off" note, and a little too much alcohol to be too terribly drinkable.

2.43/5  rDev -15.9%

A friend gave me a bottle of this for Christmas. I have my doubts, but I'll give it a try... Decanted into a pint glass. Lots of foam on the pour, which descends quickly, and leaves the beer a mostly clear pale yellow. Only a very thin white ring of lace left.

Smell is pretty simple: bread, honey, and a musty quality. A little chemical-y, too. Like formaldehyde.

Taste is not good. Starts out with a touch of honey sweet, then quickly becomes a mash-up of sour bitterness. Like a really sharp sourdough bread, but not in a good way. Fortunately, the flavors fade quickly. But they leave a sort of chemical coating on your tongue - at least it feels that way.

Mouthfeel is just really fizzy, but only briefly. Then it's just watery.

I can't really drink much of this beyond the sips it's taking me to review this beer. Just too many bad flavors at work. You can pass on this one.

2.83/5  rDev -2.1%

here goes nothing...

A: just about a perfect golden color, darn close. Slightly hazy in the glass with tangerine colors in cohorts with the gold. Absolutely no cap or foam, just a few fat bubbles around the rim of the glass. I know the alcohol plays part in diminishing the head/lace but this is bonkers! Nothing at all!

S: surprisingly sweet and tart notes in the nose of apples, lemons and what reminds me of orange soda with floral notes. Pale malts are hidden among the sweets

T: this is by far not as bad as I was thinking after my initial whiffs. Malt and grain profile is kicked up a few notes but still is hidden by the sugary tartness of sour apples and oranges paired with floral and earthy notes. After a few sips the hops push more at bitterness and do tame the sweetness a bit.
Also, the alcohol is masked in the nose as well as on the tongue, however it does make a showing with half my glass gone

M: goes down without difficulty and has a tame feel, body is mild

D: i have become unhinged by this beer and its flavors and bizarre presentation/aesthetics. This beer has a type of stalwartness with a large dose intractably for the drinker

3.51/5  rDev +21.5%

OK. Another Lithuanian oddity found in Topsham, Maine, this one being 9.5%. Seriously? Madness. Out of the bottle this Euro Strong Lager was a deep gold color with a thin, off-white head. The retention was decent but the lacing was actually quite good in thin sheets. The aroma was of musty and earthy malt with some sweetness of adjunct grain mash and a light spiciness. The flavors were at first quite spicy and rather sweet from the caramel and toffee-like malt along with some artificial tasting sweetener probably being used to cover up the alcohol. The middle of the beer was grainy and after a while I began to taste the ALC in that part. The finish was a little musty. The mouthfeel was smooth but a bit slick, the carbonation soft and the body medium. I didn't really care for the taste but it was almost exactly like their blue label, only twice as strong. If you're not going to enjoy the flavors you might as well enjoy the buzz...

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Lobster Lovers Beer from Rinkuškiai