1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Missing Elf - Rinkuškiai Alaus Darykloje

Missing ElfMissing Elf

poor

Rinkuškiai Alaus Darykloje visit their website
Lithuania

Doppelbock |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: yemenmocha on 12-21-2009)
View: Beers (32) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 55 | Reviews: 30 | Show All Ratings:
AltBock

2.16/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

16.9 oz. bottle with a rather disturbing label. The label depicts a very jolly St. Nick posting a missing elf poster to a tree. What little does Santa know is that his missing elf is stuck in his butt crack. How Santa does not know that a little man with a pointy hat and pointy shoes is up his butt is beyond me. We won't go there. I'm not even going to talk about the creepy elf with the deer in the headlight look on his face that appears on the neck label. The back label has a paragraph about the brewery, the US mandatory info, a bottle code, and numbers and Roman numerals on the side. Nothing was notched so I don't know what those numbers mean.

I poured this so called Doppelbock into a Pilsner glass. This has to be one of the palest Doppelbock that I've ever seen. I'm talking sick as a dog pale skin color. It was a pale and clear lemon yellow. Nothing special about the color at all. At least the head of foam was nice. It was about 1/2 an inch in height, nice and fluffy, and pearl white in color. Great retention that left behind a long lasting fluffy skim of foam. They spent more money on the head of foam then the color of the beer. Looks like a European Pale Lager.

The aroma was very faint. It takes a lot of swirling to get any kind of aroma to come out. I got some sweet grainy malt, a pinch of lemon, a drop of caramel, and a subtle whiff of grassy hops. Nice European Pale Lager aroma.

The taste was a little too sweet and grainy. The taste of stale grassy hops comes in to try to wash away the sweet grains. Long story short. It doesn't achieve that. In between the sweet grains and the stale grassy hops was a little lemon and caramel. There wasn't much going on in the taste. Decent European Pale Lager taste.

Despite the high alcohol ABV%, it was medium bodied. The sweet grainy and grassy hop aftertaste masked the high ABV%. I couldn't tell it was almost a 10% ABV beer. Looks like a pale Lager, smells like a pale Lager, tastes like a pale Lager, but it's a Doppelbock? Huh? What? How did that happen?

If you can get it cheap enough, go ahead and try it for yourself.I'm talking 50% off bottom shelf cheap. In case you don't like it, it has a high proof ABV% you can get drunk off of.

01-28-2013 22:08:55 | More by AltBock
puboflyons

New Hampshire

3.15/5  rDev +20.2%

From the 25 fl. oz. bottle. Sampled on December 17, 2012.

The pour is orange amber and on the murky side. The white fizzy heads erupts then disappears quickly.

The aroma is malty with a hint of banana and black licorice but more of a hard liquor character.

The body is smooth and around medium.

The taste is also malty at first but it has a lingering, acidic bitterness at the end that is kind of off-putting. I don't think this would be high on my annual selection of Christmas ales.

12-17-2012 23:53:03 | More by puboflyons
BeerKangaroo

Alaska

3.05/5  rDev +16.4%

While I was looking for other beers off my "wants" list, I noticed this and the price ($1.99) at Whole Foods in Portland, ME and thought, hey, let's try this, here goes:

Into my pilsener:

A: light golden orange colored body with a two finger white foamy head. Slowly rising carbonation is seen rising.

S: malts up front backed up with banannas and cherries. It comes across as extremely sweet.

T: sweet with the same flavorings.

M: medium with nothing harsh on the tongue. Though the ABV is fairly high, I would say this is fairly drinkable.

O: wow, what a malt bomb, not sure if I'd come back to this, perhaps a bit to sweet for its style and for me.

12-11-2012 19:14:46 | More by BeerKangaroo
SaCkErZ9

2.13/5  rDev -18.7%

I picked this one up on a whim at a store in Knoxville, Tennessee. The beer was only $2.99 for a pint so I figured "why the hell not". As the mantra goes, "You get what you pay for". Lets see how this one turns out.

As far as doppelbocks go, this one is as pale as they come. Not a good sign. Looks like a typical lager a la Sam Adams.

A sneezing fit has beseiged me and my olfactory senses have been dulled, but I do smell sweet malts and probably some sort of adjunct.

Alls I taste is liquor in this one. Even with a couple of beers under my belt tonight, this one is barely drinkable. I cant believe the guy at the liquor store said this was an awesome beer.

The best thing about this beer is the label. I love the label. Otherwise, dont bother. I was suckered into buying two bottles of this shite; luckily they were only $2.99 each. Lithuania may be awesome at basketball, but they suck at making beer. I guess if people believe Christopher Columbus "discovered" America, then people can believe this is a doppelbock.

04-10-2012 01:59:58 | More by SaCkErZ9
Cyberkedi

Georgia

3.08/5  rDev +17.6%

Malty aroma is of average strength with a fruity note and a hint of caramel. It pours a clear golden amber with a fairly thick, if not persistent, pale golden-tan head. Flavor is malty, about average, with licks of caramel and pear, nothing special but still palatable. There is an appreciable, if not strong, alcohol kick. Texture is rather fizzy, but finish is rather wan. Overall, fair to middlin' but worth a try.

03-21-2012 00:55:05 | More by Cyberkedi
chinchill

South Carolina

2.93/5  rDev +11.8%

16.9 oz bottle served in a pint glass.

Pours a light, clear amber with visible carbonation. Only a small head is produced with a moderate pour, and this has poor retention.

Aroma: Sweet odor, mainly of light malt.

Taste: Taste follows the aroma, with a flavor that, to me, is mildly too sweet. Clearly, there are rather minimal, and insufficient, hops here. Another complaint is labelling: this is not a standard dopplebock. It does have fairly high ABV, like most dopplebocks. The high ABV is somewhat evident in both the aroma and, more so, the taste, but not such as I'd complain about it.

M: medium body, yet with a trace of wateryness; some alcohol warming.

O: no a bad beer. OK as a holiday gift, with the fun labelling, high ABV and all, but not a beer that

01-25-2012 00:09:28 | More by chinchill
jsisko01

2.73/5  rDev +4.2%

Appearance - Pours a very hazy, light yellow-orangish color almost no head at all.

Smell - Very strong alcohol aroma, like whiskey. Maybe some butterscotch, caramel, and breadiness.

Taste - VERY strong alcohol flavor followed by roasted malts, strong toffee, coffee, caramel, bread, and a pretty bitter aftertaste..

Mouthfeel - Pretty light body with medium carbonation. It starts foaming in the mouth and begins to feel somewhat creamy.

Overall - Definitely not my style of beer.. too much like coffee.

01-15-2012 06:16:23 | More by jsisko01
nrbw23

1.75/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

A- Pours a slightly hazy, light golden amber color with pretty much no head. A handful of bubbles pop up and no lacing.

S- Quite a bit of sweet malts, maybe clove and a ton of alcohol.

T- Not digging this at all. Pretty sweet, a ton of bready malts, and alcohol.

M- Pretty thin in body and carbonation was above average.

O- Drain pour on this one. Not at all what I expected and those expectation were pretty low.

12-27-2011 21:12:16 | More by nrbw23
bschinelli

1.33/5  rDev -49.2%

Can anyone say Colt 45? I bought this because I had 2 seconds in our groceries beer dept. and thought at a glance that it was a variation of the Ridgeway Brewing Company's "elf" series. I was sadly mistaken. It poured a clear gold into the glass with an off white head that disappeared as I put the bottle down. No lacing, but some effervescent bubbling the entire time it's in the glass. The first sniff gives off banana and light clove, and some alcohol. Are there any hops in here? Taste wise, lots of malt sweetness with nothing to balance it. Banana dominates, with the boozy flavor strong in the finish. This beer is light in the mouth, no complex flavors. If you want to get there quick, this is the bus to take.

Overall, I'm unimpressed. It's not a bock, or even a good barley wine. This is alchohol served up in a palatable form.

12-11-2011 18:42:42 | More by bschinelli
ONUMello

2.93/5  rDev +11.8%

16.9oz bottle poured into a pint glass
A: Light orange, next to no head
S: Sweet malt, buttterscotch
T: Boozy first and foremost, similar to the nose with sweet malt, a hint of butterscotch, earth and spice.
M: Light-bodied and boozy, though the carbonation is pleasant.
O: I too am confused by the dopplebock designation. Pleasant enough overall, although the alcohol needs to be toned down a bit.

11-08-2011 23:45:43 | More by ONUMello
beer2day

2.25/5  rDev -14.1%

Got talked into buying this last winter at a bottle shop I frequent in Richmond. Got it mainly for the stupid novelty of the label. Spent the summer in the beer fridge and just unearthed it during a recent excavation.

Hazy orange gold pour with 2-fingers of light beige foam. No retention. No lace. Bubbles clinging like crazy to the outside of the glass, though.

This is no doppelbock. This is straight alcohol. Light banana/clove nose, with extra emphasis on abv. A bit of earthy depth shows up, but mainly malt liquor.

Taste is all malt liquor too. Strong alcohol. light clove and a bready malt backbone define what is there. This beer is all about delivering a punch. Doesn't taste bad, but doesn't have much character either.

Feel is very thin for a doppel. Also very uninteresting.

Overall I bought it for the label for 3 bucks, got some laughs out of it for our holiday party, but wished I'd left the cap on the bottle.

10-20-2011 02:03:14 | More by beer2day
mmmbeer

2.55/5  rDev -2.7%

From a .5 L brown bottle with a batch code. The website says all of their beers are all-malt and "naturally fermented," and this one isn't even listed - wonder if it's a US-only release. Pours a chill-hazed golden, with low carbonation and a thin whitish head that leaves a few bits of lacing. Smells of sweet malt, lagery yeast, floral alcohol and a bit of hops. Tastes fairly similar, with light ethyl acetate and a mild bitterness. I thought it would get too full and sweet when warming, but thankfully it doesn't. It has a medium to full body, with medium yet tingly carbonation and a lightish finish. I knew from the color when I bought this that it wasn't really a dopplebock, and I was actually expecting much worse. It is hard to judge this one as it is labeled as a double bock but it's really more of a simple European malt liquor. And while it fails at the former, it excels at the latter, and is quite enjoyable (I'm actually craving another) and well-worth the $.99 I paid for this one. I rated it according to the label, but if it were called "malt liquor," the score would have been: A-4, S-3, T-4, M-4, O-4.5; Overall - 3.9. Definitely worth a try if you see it, but don't expect anything close to a dopplebock.

08-15-2011 20:04:22 | More by mmmbeer
DarthKostrizer

2.78/5  rDev +6.1%

Look: Translucent orange in color no head or lace

Smell: Caramel malts and almost a whisky note and peat

Taste: Very malty beer. Lots of caramel and a bit of dark fruit

Mouthfeel: Medium body and carbonation. The carbonation bubbles feel like they are lifting right off your tongue

Overall: Interesting doppelbock very sweet and malty had an almost whisky character to it. I will not drink this again

07-16-2011 20:22:50 | More by DarthKostrizer
rhoadsrage

3.33/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

(Served in a tulip glass)
#27-29 scratched on date of bottle

A- This beer pours a slightly hazy orange body with a bubbly thin cream head that last a bit. There is a slow carbonation of big bubbles that glide to the surface.

S- The soft light melanoidin note has hints of pot caramel and a soft diacetyl finish that grows as the beer opens up.

T- The slightly sweet pot caramel flavor is light and clean with a alcohol bite in the finish that leads to a melanoidin note that lingers.

M- This beer has a medium-light mouthfeel with a tight fizz and a soft alcohol bite that grows with each sip.

O- The caramel flavors are a bit artificial tasting and the only other support is the alcohol and the fizz. It starts off ok but as it opens up it really gets an alcohol burn and fake caramel flavor.

06-23-2011 15:51:33 | More by rhoadsrage
vandemonian

Maryland

3.2/5  rDev +22.1%

Missing Elf is a tasty beer that lacks carbonation.

A: It pours with an orange colour and although I poured it quite vigorously it only developed a 3 mm head that faded quickly to nothing. 2.5

S: The smell is malty and not especially strong. 3

T: Malty up front with hints of raisins and some bitterness. Strong, fruity and nice. 3.5

M: Thick, but lacks carbonation. 3

O: It's a tasty beer but is let down by the little details. 3

05-16-2011 02:15:25 | More by vandemonian
homebrew311

2.78/5  rDev +6.1%

Got this as a Christmas Present. Poured into a pint glass.

A: this is far and away the lightest Double Bock I have ever seen. I was convinced upon the pour that the beer was in the wrong bottle. Pale gold/straw color with good clarity. Thin head with minimal lacing. This scores really low since it is not to style.

S: the nose quickly confirms that this beer is in fact a double bock. Deep sweet malts up front with grainy, corn like notes in the middle.

T: sweet malts up front, candied dark fruits, bready grains, notes of caramel. Many flavors I associate with a double bock, but also an adjunct lager-like character that throws things off a bit.

MF: medium body, relatively light for the style. Medium to high carbonation.

D: this beer represents the Double Bock style in a very interesting way. The taste comes close to representing the style, but the appearance and body are much more similar to an adjunct lager. I would not try this again.

01-14-2011 07:30:15 | More by homebrew311
Deus1138

Georgia

3.45/5  rDev +31.7%

This beer was Christmas gift.

I'm a fan of doppelbocks. This isn't a doppelbock. I don't know why they labeled it a "Double Bock" on the bottle, but they did. If they had called it a "Euro Pale Lager" or a "Euro Strong Lager" instead, it would rank very high in those categories. But when you call a beer a doppelbock, people bring certain expectations, none of which are fulfilled by this beer. That being said, it is an enjoyable, delicious beer. It just isn't a doppelbock.

It pours a light to medium orange color. The smell is mostly of sweet malts. Taste is nice, slightly sweet and smooth. Crystal malts jump to the forefront with a slightly hoppy finish. If it is 9.5% alcohol, it's pretty well hidden.

Like I said, not a doppelbock, but quite drinkable and enjoyable, whatever it is.

12-29-2010 00:33:13 | More by Deus1138
samie85

3.38/5  rDev +29%

A-Pours a clear golden orange color with two fingers of white head.

S-Huge honey notes with some pale malt and with some bock-ish dark fruit notes.

T-Dark fruits and notes of honey with some floral hops on the finish.

M-Medium bodied and sticky with very, very low carbonation; almost flat.

D-This actually pretty drinkable, based on other reviews I was expecting the worst, and I think this helped this beer's cause. The low level of carbonation is a little distracting though.

12-26-2010 21:40:32 | More by samie85
gueuzeonhigh

Maine

3.65/5  rDev +39.3%

It's labeled a double bock-- but of all of double bocks I've poured-- this beer doesn't really look like one-- more like the usual lager.

It has a slight head with minor lacing.

The nose in my example produced a fruity and malt aroma with hints of alcohol.

The flavor is sort of a "double-bock-wanna-be"-- it has many of the aspects of a double bock but not quite enough flavor "weight". There is the presence of malt, but the beer isn't a bread substitute. There are hints of alcohol-- although I'm through 75% of the bottle I'm not feeling the effects of the stated 9.5% ABV-- is it really 9.5%?

It has a nice long but un-inspiring finish. It's clean, it coated my palate but pretty much the flavor start was the flavor finish.

Mouthfeel is cordial-- It's a nice beer to drink, but the more I taste this beer-- I question whether I'd declare this beer a double bock-- more a strong lager.

Drinkability-- is good-- I don't think it's 9.5%ABV, and that I think is a plus. I like to enjoy plenty of beer w/o getting hammered to my seat. I could drink a few of these.

This was an enjoyable beer, but it wasn't what I'd call a double-bock. Given the "Double Bock" moniker I'd declare "uninspired"-- as a strong lager it may be a different story.

12-22-2010 01:20:13 | More by gueuzeonhigh
wiggum21

2.1/5  rDev -19.8%

These were sitting out on display as singles....figured why not grab one.Not the best idea I have ever had. Probably should have picked a different beer to be my very first BA review.

A- Poured an orange/yellow color with no head to speak of

S- Sweet smelling alchohol, malty

T- Sweet, overpowering "booziness", bitter finish

M- On the medium side with low carbination

D- Not for me. One a done and barely one at that.

12-15-2010 21:19:53 | More by wiggum21
loren01

Oregon

2.15/5  rDev -17.9%

A: Pours an orange color, not much head at all.
S: Smell is pretty bad there is some malt sweetness in there as well as B.O. odor.
T: Very sweet...too sweet. Lots of ETOH in this one.
M: Low on carbonation. Medium bodied
D: Picked this beer kindof randomly, I like Dopplebocks but this was not a good beer. Drain pour beer.

12-04-2010 20:46:38 | More by loren01
hackmann

3.98/5  rDev +51.9%

I'll grade this as an ale not a double bock. Really, this is a doublebock?
A: Has a pale golden body with a white head that dissipates quickly and there is no lacing on the side of the glass.
S: Nice fruit (melon and touch of banana), sweet grain.
T: Very tasty fruit with a touch of honey sweetness. There is a grainy presence with an interesting hoppy balance.
I like the taste but, if I had to judge it as a doublebock - I would say, "WHAT IS this?"
M: The carbonation is moderate. But, I like the smoothness and the velvety feel. Not much on the aftertaste.
D: This was pretty easy to enjoy. But, at 9.5 maybe two.

11-29-2010 04:57:38 | More by hackmann
LairdChisholm

2.7/5  rDev +3.1%

A - Pours a clear golden orange color. A slight white head fizzles up and dissipates within seconds. No lacing left here and has a few, very small carbonation bubbles.

S - Smells of sweet grains with alcohol with a touch of melon.

T - Very sweet. Grains of corn and wheat mixed with warming alcohol. There are some slight fruity notes. The end is a bitter sort of chalky kind of taste. Eh.

M - I find with sub-par beers such as this one, the mouthfeel usually gives them their only good qualities. Good amount of carbonation and goes down smooth.

D - Not a good taste, higher ABV, I might not finish this.

11-17-2010 03:21:39 | More by LairdChisholm
bundy462

2.48/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Golden with no head at all.

S: Toasted malts with a very sweet fruitiness. There are hints of booze throughout.

T: Pretty clean considering the style. It's a husky type faint taste with a boozy hint throughout and some slight bittering in the finish. Way too much about the booze and not enough about the taste.

M: Smooth with little carbonation.

O: Not terrible, not good either.

11-14-2010 01:24:05 | More by bundy462
dvb

Washington

1.35/5  rDev -48.5%

A - Looks like an imperial pilsner. Darkish yellow with no head worth speaking of.

S - Alcohol. This stuff is ready to kill some bacteria.

T - Tastes like Cepacol mouthwash.

M - What to say here? It's boozy, it's yellow and it smells and tastes like mouthwash.

D - Not very. If you are expecting a quality doppelbock full of malty character, you've come to the wrong place.

Conclusion: Call off the search for this particular elf. Burn the missing person's report and file the death certificate, post haste.

10-31-2010 22:48:19 | More by dvb