One Eared Monkey - Paper City Brewery Co., Inc.

One Eared MonkeyOne Eared Monkey

awful

Paper City Brewery Co., Inc. visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Blonde Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-19-2004)
View: Beers (22) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of One Eared Monkey Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

12-05-2011 02:11:31 | More by tclapper
Brad007

Vermont

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Hmm. The description makes me think of No.9.

Pours a blonde color with hints of amber and a one-finger head. It's certainly a blonde ale.

Excretable fake peach extract in the nose with very little malt or hop aroma. Hmm. Strike 1.

More of the fake peach taste followed by very little flavor underneath. Ick. Strike 2.

Lingering fake peach flavor that turns watery as well. Strike 3.

My only question for Paper City on this beer is WHY??? Why produce subpar stuff like this in the first place? Avoid.

07-18-2011 02:48:13 | More by Brad007
donkeyrunner

2.42/5  rDev -14.2%

I can't pass by a beer named 1 Eared Monkey. Or any monkey beer for that matter.

Clear gold with a large bubbly head. Head wears itself out quickly but retains a fair skim that left a few lacey gasps.Acidic, artificial peach aroma. Underneath it all 1EM smells pretty clean.

Well, it does taste like peach. Some artificial sweetener malt in there too. Mouthfeel is oppressively crisp--like Pop Rocks in your mouth crisp. Literally left a bad taste in my mouth--a peachy, Splenda dipped tortilla chip bad taste.

I tried foist this upon my girlfriend but she wasn't buying it.

03-06-2010 00:16:18 | More by donkeyrunner
mountdew1

New Hampshire

3.18/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured into an imperial pint glass. Color was a light golden amber with a 1 finger white bubbly head. Large amounts of carbonation were rising from the bottom. Aroma was mostly watery peach flavor. Taste was a bit thin, small amounts of peach with some watery olive flavor. Felt a smidgen thin in the mouth, but not terribly so. Easy to drink, could be a very good session beer, but flavor is nothing special.

12-19-2009 00:28:08 | More by mountdew1
Soonami

1.08/5  rDev -61.7%

This is probably the grossest, beer I've ever had that wasn't spoiled! A friend, as a joke, brought this over one time, telling me that she didn't like it but that I should try it to see if I might. Well it looked pale and flat, it smelled like artificial fruit drops and tasted a lot like what peach flavored cough syrup would taste like if such a thing were made. Needless to say, it was horrible.

I saved a few bottles later for New Years to play a game. Basically, after dinner, I poured one of these into a glass and passed it around the table to let everyone try a sip. I took a picture of everyone while they smelled and first tasted it and the reaction after they finished it. At first everyone that tried it, thought it was okay, but then as the test sank it everyone made a face like they smelled the stinkiest fart ever. 10 of 10 people reacted this way and all 10 were from different ends of the beer spectrum, including girls that only drink hard cider and guys that actually like macro lagers.

I ended up just returning several of the beers by to my friend when she invited over to my house a couple weeks later.

This review is based on a very vivid memory I have of this beer and an account I wrote elsewhere.

09-27-2009 05:41:58 | More by Soonami
CrazyMacHarris99

1.85/5  rDev -34.4%

This one starts out promising. Pours a bright blonde orange color with an impressive fluffy head. The smell is very peachy with a hint of some malt. The taste is very sweet peach that seems syrupy at first but then finishes thin and bubbly with a horrendous metallic aftertaste. The mouthfeel seems very thin and the drinkability is way off with the thin mouthfeel and the horrible aftertaste.

I would not recommend buying this or drinking it if offered.

09-20-2009 22:17:20 | More by CrazyMacHarris99
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

Went to the Int. Beer Fest in Providence, this beer was my GF's favorite at the expo. Picked up a 6er for her, thought I'd grab one to review.

A- 12oz pours a pale yellow color with a bit of chill haze. Mild head, gone a minute in.

S- Extremely peachy. Syrupy sweet.

T- Moderate peachyness, no body to speak of. A half-note beer. Peach flavor is gummi-bear in aroma, but is like peach seltzer in taste.

M- Like water...Seriously.

D- Not for me. You could pound 6 of these in a row, but you could also drink 6 pints of water. What's the point? Not a good beer.

Oh and to close my girlfriend drank only a 1/2 bottle before railing the beer herself. Different batch at the beerfest? Possibly.. in bottles this beer is a disappointment.

08-09-2009 22:55:45 | More by ShogoKawada
jjayjaye

Pours a clear pale golden color with a wispy white head that's gone in a blink. Negligible lacing...no surprise given how lightly colored it is. The smell is amazing...you want peach, baby there it is. Scoring this one as a fruit/veggy instead of a dirty blond. Loving the peach nose. The mouth feel is nicely carbonated ...has that effervescent 'wine cooler' tingle to it. The flavor is decent and i suspect that the ABV is low enough to session. Finishes pretty clean, almost dry, with after hints of the peachiousity. I've been experimenting with these fruity beers lately since I've noticed that they enhance my lawn mowing prowess.

06-28-2009 20:26:03 | More by jjayjaye
iceball585

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A- Bright golden color, semi-cloudy, thin white layer head that faded to a thin ring

S- Very fruity (mostly peach), sweet, slight stale grain auroma

T- Fuzzy peach skin, pear, grapes, sugary syrup, hint of cream

M- Light body, medium/heavy carbonation, fizzy, dry finish

D- Not worth trying

When I saw this was a peach flavored ale I was expecting a hint of peach. This brew tastes more like a fruit cup than a beer... definitely not my thing.

03-25-2009 01:50:21 | More by iceball585
albern

2.13/5  rDev -24.5%

I'm not sure why this is labeled as an American Blonde ale, since the peach flavors in the beer put this into the fruit/vegetable beer category. The beer pours a fairly pale and uninteresting clear color with a white thinnish head. The nose on the beer is aromatic peach and that's about all. The taste is basically a cheaply made ale with loads of peach flavoring added afterwards. The beer has a really nasty, perfumey aftertaste that clings to your palate. This beer isn't very good I'm afraid, and I'm starting to question the quality of Paper City since I've had a few less than stellar beers from this brewhouse. I'd steer clear of this one.

12-20-2008 20:35:37 | More by albern
eberkman

1.68/5  rDev -40.4%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Left over from our Election Day gathering. Someone brought this. I figured I'd give it a try. Blech. Smells like a Bud with the syrup from my kid's canned peaches mixed in. Tastes like it as well, except with an astringent, medicinal bittersweet finish reminiscent of Triaminic children's cold syrup. Never saw it before and will not look for it again.

11-12-2008 02:12:00 | More by eberkman
fitzy84

2.3/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Bought this at Spirit Haus. Poured with a really lacking, pale yellow color with a really thick, 2 inch head that fizzed away. Some patchy lacing. The smell is definitely fruity, I got to give it credit there. However, the peach flavor, which is really the only flavor, is a little too artificially strong. I felt like I was smelling some sort of Bath and Body Works cream my wife uses on her skin than a beer. The taste was pathetic: sour-sweet peachy flavors wrapped in a watery mess. I sensed some floral hints, but they felt like they were just sweeteners to a fruity drink. The mouthfeel made the drink's flavoring worse: very flat and way too watery. But with those flavors, would more carbonation even solve the issues? I got to say, a bit disappointed from Paper City.

05-26-2008 05:02:49 | More by fitzy84
garcia2a

3.48/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a deep golden tone and was slightly hazy. The beer had moderate carbonation that produced at quarter inch head that was not retained on the glass.

The bouquet was sweet with fruit mixed with a touch of hops. This did not translate over to the taste. The initial bite was tart with some hops and malt on the taste buds. The fruit came late and remained as a filling aftertaste. The second taste lost the tart component and a bit more of the fruit came through.

Mouthfeel was good, just slightly larger than expected. This is tasty that should be served cold, heck even Teddy would enjoy this on a warm day while in his oldsmobile!

04-15-2008 13:42:39 | More by garcia2a
WesWes

3.5/5  rDev +24.1%

The beer pours a pale gold color with a 1/4" white head that fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has dry, pale malt scent along with a mild peach aroma that is refreshing. The taste is average. It has a light pale malt taste with peach flavoring added. It goes down sweet and fruity, but finishes dry with some off flavors. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with less than adequate carbonation. This could be a better brew if the mouthfeel inproved. There is almost no head retention and the CO2 is quite low for this style.

06-18-2007 22:55:41 | More by WesWes
Seanish

3.23/5  rDev +14.5%

To make a long story short, my girlfriend got me "hangover survival kit": a bunch of different gifts for my 21st birthday housed in a six pack package of this beer. Since then I knew I had to try it at some point so I picked up a six pack when my friend offered to buy me one...

Couldn't find a date anywhere but the beer seems fresh. It pours a very light gold, very clear with minimal head.
smell area. Some sweet malt with background of canned peaches.

The smell is inviting. There is a sweet malt character paired with a present but not overpowering peaches. One of the highlights of the beer.

Taste is kind of dry tart and ends with peach. It doesn't hit hard but it seems to come at once and then linger. If you like peaches you'll enjoy it. It's not bad at all, just not great.

Mouthfeel is ok. It's a little watery and there's not much carbonation. I wouldn't want a beer to be over-carbonated but this seems like it could use some.

It's a drinkable beer, just not one I might pick at first choice. I like fruit beers but I like ones that have more character. This was the first time tried anything from Paper City and although I'm not overly impressed I'm going to try some of their other offerings.

04-07-2007 05:35:49 | More by Seanish
taez555

2.58/5  rDev -8.5%

This beer poured a clear pale yellowish/orange body with a small white head.

Nose is in your face canned peaches. Some mild beer tones in the background, but basically a sticky sweet syrupy smell like you just opened a cheap can of peaches.

Peach, peach, peach, peach, dirty peaches, dirty peach fuzz. Very dry and mildly tart. There's this over the top dryness that hits in the middle. It fades with a nice lingering peach taste.

It basically tastes like someone took a middle of the road pale ale and mixed it 50/50 with the syrup from a can of peaches. That's it. It's not as bad as some make it out to be, but I won't be trying it again.

05-14-2006 23:55:27 | More by taez555
sinistrsam

Maryland

4.33/5  rDev +53.5%

Poured a dark golden copper with a small white head. Good lacing, good retention. Good aromas; mild scitrus, sweet fruits, yeats, malts. Great initial taste; lots of sweetness, fruits and malts. Maybe apricot. Decently complex. Yeasts, breads, alcohol, very little hops. Medium-bodied, sweet but not syrupy. Leaves a decent aftertaste. I could have had a few more of these frankly. And I've read other peoples' posts. Maybe I'm nuts, but I really didn't dislike this brew. Maybe they're trying a new recipe or I got an especially good batch. Either way I'm a fan of this beer and this brewery.

05-13-2006 00:38:34 | More by sinistrsam
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
One Eared Monkey from Paper City Brewery Co., Inc.