Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

One Eared Monkey - Paper City Brewery Co., Inc.

One Eared MonkeyOne Eared Monkey

Paper City Brewery Co., Inc. visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Blonde Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-19-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of One Eared Monkey Alström Bros
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
2.76/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Thanks Dan for sharing. Been a while since I've seen or had any Paper City. Peach flavoring has me skeptical.

A- Pour to a few glasses with a mostly clear yellow body leading to a foamy crown. The white froth falls somewhat quickly to a medium ring but lacing is sparse.

S- Peach flavoring aromatics very strongly off the top. It is somewhat like real peaches but you can tell it is obviously concentrated flavoring. Seems a bit tart and bubble gum in there too but almost nothing else.

T- Millions of peach-like flavors and yes they feel like a flavoring rather than succulent fresh peaches. Strange sweet juicy hint, bubble gum, slight pale barley and fruit esters later on.

MF- Creamy and smooth with a solid foamy texture on the palate. Medium to high carbonation finishing sweet and lightly tart.

I can't say it is terrible but honestly it just feels like artificial peaches and not much else. A good effort with a flavoring but really still it comes down to just that.

3.94/5  rDev +40.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Peach flavor was pleasantly crisp, and not sweet. Had a mild nutty aftertaste. Poured beautifully into the glass, with the perfect about of foam. Would absolutely give as a gift.

2.51/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Hmm. The description makes me think of No.9.

Pours a blonde color with hints of amber and a one-finger head. It's certainly a blonde ale.

Excretable fake peach extract in the nose with very little malt or hop aroma. Hmm. Strike 1.

More of the fake peach taste followed by very little flavor underneath. Ick. Strike 2.

Lingering fake peach flavor that turns watery as well. Strike 3.

My only question for Paper City on this beer is WHY??? Why produce subpar stuff like this in the first place? Avoid.

2.45/5  rDev -12.8%

I can't pass by a beer named 1 Eared Monkey. Or any monkey beer for that matter.

Clear gold with a large bubbly head. Head wears itself out quickly but retains a fair skim that left a few lacey gasps.Acidic, artificial peach aroma. Underneath it all 1EM smells pretty clean.

Well, it does taste like peach. Some artificial sweetener malt in there too. Mouthfeel is oppressively crisp--like Pop Rocks in your mouth crisp. Literally left a bad taste in my mouth--a peachy, Splenda dipped tortilla chip bad taste.

I tried foist this upon my girlfriend but she wasn't buying it.

3.2/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured into an imperial pint glass. Color was a light golden amber with a 1 finger white bubbly head. Large amounts of carbonation were rising from the bottom. Aroma was mostly watery peach flavor. Taste was a bit thin, small amounts of peach with some watery olive flavor. Felt a smidgen thin in the mouth, but not terribly so. Easy to drink, could be a very good session beer, but flavor is nothing special.

1.08/5  rDev -61.6%

This is probably the grossest, beer I've ever had that wasn't spoiled! A friend, as a joke, brought this over one time, telling me that she didn't like it but that I should try it to see if I might. Well it looked pale and flat, it smelled like artificial fruit drops and tasted a lot like what peach flavored cough syrup would taste like if such a thing were made. Needless to say, it was horrible.

I saved a few bottles later for New Years to play a game. Basically, after dinner, I poured one of these into a glass and passed it around the table to let everyone try a sip. I took a picture of everyone while they smelled and first tasted it and the reaction after they finished it. At first everyone that tried it, thought it was okay, but then as the test sank it everyone made a face like they smelled the stinkiest fart ever. 10 of 10 people reacted this way and all 10 were from different ends of the beer spectrum, including girls that only drink hard cider and guys that actually like macro lagers.

I ended up just returning several of the beers by to my friend when she invited over to my house a couple weeks later.

This review is based on a very vivid memory I have of this beer and an account I wrote elsewhere.

1.93/5  rDev -31.3%

This one starts out promising. Pours a bright blonde orange color with an impressive fluffy head. The smell is very peachy with a hint of some malt. The taste is very sweet peach that seems syrupy at first but then finishes thin and bubbly with a horrendous metallic aftertaste. The mouthfeel seems very thin and the drinkability is way off with the thin mouthfeel and the horrible aftertaste.

I would not recommend buying this or drinking it if offered.

Went to the Int. Beer Fest in Providence, this beer was my GF's favorite at the expo. Picked up a 6er for her, thought I'd grab one to review.

A- 12oz pours a pale yellow color with a bit of chill haze. Mild head, gone a minute in.

S- Extremely peachy. Syrupy sweet.

T- Moderate peachyness, no body to speak of. A half-note beer. Peach flavor is gummi-bear in aroma, but is like peach seltzer in taste.

M- Like water...Seriously.

D- Not for me. You could pound 6 of these in a row, but you could also drink 6 pints of water. What's the point? Not a good beer.

Oh and to close my girlfriend drank only a 1/2 bottle before railing the beer herself. Different batch at the beerfest? Possibly.. in bottles this beer is a disappointment.

4.01/5  rDev +42.7%

Pours a clear pale golden color with a wispy white head that's gone in a blink. Negligible lacing...no surprise given how lightly colored it is. The smell is amazing...you want peach, baby there it is. Scoring this one as a fruit/veggy instead of a dirty blond. Loving the peach nose. The mouth feel is nicely carbonated ...has that effervescent 'wine cooler' tingle to it. The flavor is decent and i suspect that the ABV is low enough to session. Finishes pretty clean, almost dry, with after hints of the peachiousity. I've been experimenting with these fruity beers lately since I've noticed that they enhance my lawn mowing prowess.

2.51/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A- Bright golden color, semi-cloudy, thin white layer head that faded to a thin ring

S- Very fruity (mostly peach), sweet, slight stale grain auroma

T- Fuzzy peach skin, pear, grapes, sugary syrup, hint of cream

M- Light body, medium/heavy carbonation, fizzy, dry finish

D- Not worth trying

When I saw this was a peach flavored ale I was expecting a hint of peach. This brew tastes more like a fruit cup than a beer... definitely not my thing.

2.15/5  rDev -23.5%

I'm not sure why this is labeled as an American Blonde ale, since the peach flavors in the beer put this into the fruit/vegetable beer category. The beer pours a fairly pale and uninteresting clear color with a white thinnish head. The nose on the beer is aromatic peach and that's about all. The taste is basically a cheaply made ale with loads of peach flavoring added afterwards. The beer has a really nasty, perfumey aftertaste that clings to your palate. This beer isn't very good I'm afraid, and I'm starting to question the quality of Paper City since I've had a few less than stellar beers from this brewhouse. I'd steer clear of this one.

1.69/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Left over from our Election Day gathering. Someone brought this. I figured I'd give it a try. Blech. Smells like a Bud with the syrup from my kid's canned peaches mixed in. Tastes like it as well, except with an astringent, medicinal bittersweet finish reminiscent of Triaminic children's cold syrup. Never saw it before and will not look for it again.

2.3/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Bought this at Spirit Haus. Poured with a really lacking, pale yellow color with a really thick, 2 inch head that fizzed away. Some patchy lacing. The smell is definitely fruity, I got to give it credit there. However, the peach flavor, which is really the only flavor, is a little too artificially strong. I felt like I was smelling some sort of Bath and Body Works cream my wife uses on her skin than a beer. The taste was pathetic: sour-sweet peachy flavors wrapped in a watery mess. I sensed some floral hints, but they felt like they were just sweeteners to a fruity drink. The mouthfeel made the drink's flavoring worse: very flat and way too watery. But with those flavors, would more carbonation even solve the issues? I got to say, a bit disappointed from Paper City.

3.47/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a deep golden tone and was slightly hazy. The beer had moderate carbonation that produced at quarter inch head that was not retained on the glass.

The bouquet was sweet with fruit mixed with a touch of hops. This did not translate over to the taste. The initial bite was tart with some hops and malt on the taste buds. The fruit came late and remained as a filling aftertaste. The second taste lost the tart component and a bit more of the fruit came through.

Mouthfeel was good, just slightly larger than expected. This is tasty that should be served cold, heck even Teddy would enjoy this on a warm day while in his oldsmobile!

3.5/5  rDev +24.6%

The beer pours a pale gold color with a 1/4" white head that fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has dry, pale malt scent along with a mild peach aroma that is refreshing. The taste is average. It has a light pale malt taste with peach flavoring added. It goes down sweet and fruity, but finishes dry with some off flavors. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with less than adequate carbonation. This could be a better brew if the mouthfeel inproved. There is almost no head retention and the CO2 is quite low for this style.

3.24/5  rDev +15.3%

To make a long story short, my girlfriend got me "hangover survival kit": a bunch of different gifts for my 21st birthday housed in a six pack package of this beer. Since then I knew I had to try it at some point so I picked up a six pack when my friend offered to buy me one...

Couldn't find a date anywhere but the beer seems fresh. It pours a very light gold, very clear with minimal head.
smell area. Some sweet malt with background of canned peaches.

The smell is inviting. There is a sweet malt character paired with a present but not overpowering peaches. One of the highlights of the beer.

Taste is kind of dry tart and ends with peach. It doesn't hit hard but it seems to come at once and then linger. If you like peaches you'll enjoy it. It's not bad at all, just not great.

Mouthfeel is ok. It's a little watery and there's not much carbonation. I wouldn't want a beer to be over-carbonated but this seems like it could use some.

It's a drinkable beer, just not one I might pick at first choice. I like fruit beers but I like ones that have more character. This was the first time tried anything from Paper City and although I'm not overly impressed I'm going to try some of their other offerings.

2.6/5  rDev -7.5%

This beer poured a clear pale yellowish/orange body with a small white head.

Nose is in your face canned peaches. Some mild beer tones in the background, but basically a sticky sweet syrupy smell like you just opened a cheap can of peaches.

Peach, peach, peach, peach, dirty peaches, dirty peach fuzz. Very dry and mildly tart. There's this over the top dryness that hits in the middle. It fades with a nice lingering peach taste.

It basically tastes like someone took a middle of the road pale ale and mixed it 50/50 with the syrup from a can of peaches. That's it. It's not as bad as some make it out to be, but I won't be trying it again.

4.3/5  rDev +53%

Poured a dark golden copper with a small white head. Good lacing, good retention. Good aromas; mild scitrus, sweet fruits, yeats, malts. Great initial taste; lots of sweetness, fruits and malts. Maybe apricot. Decently complex. Yeasts, breads, alcohol, very little hops. Medium-bodied, sweet but not syrupy. Leaves a decent aftertaste. I could have had a few more of these frankly. And I've read other peoples' posts. Maybe I'm nuts, but I really didn't dislike this brew. Maybe they're trying a new recipe or I got an especially good batch. Either way I'm a fan of this beer and this brewery.

1.79/5  rDev -36.3%

Dull copper. Decent clarity. Quickly dissipating white foam. The head hangs around in the form of a thin collar. A heavy peach aroma dominates, syrupy, with a bit of tangy wheat malt. Flavor follows suit, with an overbearing peach flavor, similar to peach candy, or somehow maybe even marmalade. Frankly, it's rather disgusting. Not much else carries through, maybe a bit of wheaty malt. Some bready, doughy flavors come through towards the end. Not cloying, but finishes on the sweeter side. Medium light body, with bored, bleary eyed carbonation. Somewhat dusty on the palate. Entirely unimpressive. As for drinkability, I detested this two sips in, but I hate to throw away beer. You can certainly choke it down if you think of it as some wierd, carbonated, alcoholic juice.
I admit that I bought this for the label, which I'll add to the collection. It's got a really wierd name, which caught my eye, but I will never drink this again. Ever. I don't even think it's ok for a fruit beer. Way too heavy on the peach. You can feel the syrupiness. The only thing I can possibly imagine this to be good for is to get some lame girl drunk.

Picked up in boston along with many other paper city beers.. Unfortunately this is the first one I've tried from the collection..

Looks like warm piss.. clear yellowish/gold with some white foam on top... tastes absolutely awful.. watery and hardly carbonated.. the label says natural flavor added but it tastes artificial.. I'm not sure what is worse, the actual taste or the aftertaste.. both are uniquely revolting.. I don't even want to find out how this tastes as it warms..

avoid this at all costs

3.35/5  rDev +19.2%

Pours a one-finger white head that fades quickly and leaves traces of lace. Clear amber color. Light bodied and light carbonation. Strong peach nose. Starts and finishes with a strong peach flavor. Vague hints of hops. Good summer beer. $1.60 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, Ma.

3.03/5  rDev +7.8%

Limited offering 6-pack from Spirit Haus. I figured I'd try it, some Paper City brews are rather good.

Pours straw golden yellow with a very slight cloudiness. Head is short, light, and foamy. A slight lacing is present as well. Good carbonation. Smells of peaches, almost a fake aroma. Also, a slight bready, wheaty smell is noticeable. Taste was less sweet and peachy than I had expected from the nose (which was good). However, the peaches were subdued and still didn't capture any fruit complexity. Bready wheats were not bad, however. Also, a small bit of hops helped balance out the foundation. It was OK. I don't think I could drink more than one in a sitting, however.

2.61/5  rDev -7.1%

12ozer purchased as a single from the Spirit Haus, Amherst, MA, apparently another brew from the "limited brewer's offering," as noted on the somewhat generic label.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a big old 2" white head on top of a slightly cloudy light golden brew. Head exhibited some nice resiliency, fading into a large, uneven and cottony pillow, with foamy lacing. Aroma is STRONGLY of peach, so much so as to seem blatantly artificial, whether the flavoring is or not. Taste is just like the nose, with the overpowering peach dominating everything. Possibly a crisp hoppy close, but frankly hard to tell. Mouthfeel hard to handle with complaints as above, and drinkability suffers from same. This seems to be one experimental brew that falls short of the mark.

3.49/5  rDev +24.2%

Poured a medium golden, slightly hazy, not much head, left sudsy rings, all the way down.
smell was predominantly peach, can't distinguish much else, very pleasant.
taste was interesting, again mostly peach, but it still felt and tasted like beer, light hops, are distinguishable, very nice, and interesting.
mouthfeel, was light and bubbly, good carbonation, nice little tang in it, smooth wet finish.
drinkability I would rate as high, but after only one, I don't know if the novelty will wear off quick, I'll edit later if necessary, but so far I would buy this again, and seems to go down very easy! (edit) Yes the novelty DID wear off, and I thought it was just o.k. not bad if ya just want to try something different, but I couldn't include it in my regular line-up.

2.95/5  rDev +5%

avery clean bright straw colored yellow beer. Has a big white head. The aroma is very strong with peaches and a slight grassy background. The flavor is very light, hints of peach dance around your tongue with a prickely carbonation and a light hop bitterness on the finish. A ghost of the peach flavor hangs around in the after taste.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
One Eared Monkey from Paper City Brewery Co., Inc.