Apricot Blonde - Dry Dock Brewing Co.

Apricot BlondeApricot Blonde

to view more.
Ratings: 172 | Reviews: 37
Reviews by DelMontiac:
2.99/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Amber to dark gold colored with great clarity. Minimal head that quickly almost entirely dissipates. Overpowering cloying aroma of candy sweet apricots. The taste is a wallop of intensely sweet apricot flavoring. I don't really get anything else out of the taste. The mouth is fairly carbonated.

3.07/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Very small off white head quickly dies into a thin lacing above a cloudy particle filled honey golden colored beer.

Big apricot aroma drowns out anything else that might be trying to showcase itself.

Fizzy apricot taste that is surprisingly drinkable.

The fizziness makes this beer drink more like a soda, maybe more carbonation than I like in my beers, who knows.

Worth a try, but I don't think anybody would want more than two or three of these in a sitting.

4.54/5  rDev +16.1%

Bomber labeled "Apricot Blonde" Summer Seasonal: Ale Brewed with Apricot Puree.

Served cold into a goblet, this beer has a hazy golden orange color with thick white head.

The aroma is spectacular! If you love apricots, you'll probably spend as much time sniffing the beer as you do sipping it.

Flavor is really solid as well. A sweet and mild malt backbone is there simply to provide a stage upon which the apricots to perform. Very little bitterness but not cloyingly sweet either. Very drinkable, especially considering it's a fruit beer.

Mouthfeel is light in body and carbonation. Reasonably well balanced but fairly sweet. No hops to speak of, really.

Overall a really well done beer. I will have to seek out another bottle before the Summer seasonals go away.

Strong apricot nose but not too sweet. Easy and satisfying on palate boasting excellent balance of grains with apricot. Very light "fiz" on the back of tongue as it clears out smooth. YUM

3.37/5  rDev -13.8%

For this from a friend in Colorado in an awesome beer trade that included a ton of Funkwerks. Certainly looking forward to that but my first foray is this one.

As soon as I open the can I get that sweet apricot aroma. So fruity. It's not bad, but I normally don't love fruit beers so let's see. Head begins a little thin, but when it dies away it leaves me a nice, satisfying layer of lace. Golden orange and cloudy.

Like I said major fruit aroma. A proper whiff reveals that this is no ordinary fruited beer. Barely getting any beer at all, but if I didn't have my eyes open I would swear there was a ripe, delicious apricot just inches from my nose. No artificial flavors, here. I could smell this all day, but I'm eager to taste how this apricot bomb mixes with the (presumed) hops.

Apricots and citrus as expected. If I'm totally honest, though, I'm a little disappointed. Don't know what was expecting, but while the apricot flavor is the main attraction I think I was hoping it would blend with a stronger bitterness.

The mouthfeel is a bit underwhelming, too. It is a blonde, though, so perhaps I was expecting more of a pale ale body.

Too much comparing to Dogfish's Aprihop, which I like, a lot, and this beer doesn't quite make it there. It's decent I suppose if your a fan of fruit beers, but this one is not for me. It does, however get major points for authenticity. They did not cut corners on the apricots.

4.42/5  rDev +13%

Labeled "Apricot Blonde." Poured into a snifter; color is cloudy light orange. About an inch of dense, bubbly head, which quickly receded to a nice ring of lacing.

The smell of this beer is phenomenal. Just a big punch of rich apricot goodness.

Loads of apricots with a nice, subdued malt backing and a touch of bitterness on the end.

Medium bodied, very well carbonated, and extremely refreshing.

This is by far the best non-sour apricot beer I have ever had, just delicious.

2.6/5  rDev -33.5%

Apricot Blonde – Blonde Ale (5.1%) - Dry Dock Brewing Co.
☆☆ ½

App: Hazy, copper/orange color with significant haze and lots of particulates floating around, more than likely the apricot puree. Head is paltry, with soapy bubbles that dissipate very quickly with no retention and no lacing.

Smell: Apricot with some notes of biscuit malts and a slight, high sourness in the nose.

Taste: Apricots prevail, slightly sweet and sour together. Not a whole lot else going on, a little bit of malt sweetness in the true taste. Tastes a little wheaty too but this might have to do more with the yeast.

Mouth: Dry, with a lingering sweetness that clings high on the palate. Definitely a little on the watery side.

Home tasting, 12oz can into Tulip Glass. 12/23/13

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Today is my New CANorado Beer Sunday and this one was part of an in-person trade with Blargimus whom I have traded with before, but never in person. He is a Bar Trivia master and so The Old Lady and I trekked down to play and then swapped beers afterwards. Slainte!

From the CAN: "The Siren waits thee, singing song for song. - Walter Savage Landor"; "Ale Brewed with Apricot Puree"; "A misty golden blonde ale fermented with shiploads of fruit. A crisp, clean finish and just enough sweetness make this a favorite. Combine with sunshine and friends for full effect."; "Small Brewing Company of the Year, 2009 Great AmeriCAN Beer Festival".

As a retired sailor, this whole lineup really speaks to me. From the logo of the sailing ship to the nautical references to the sly humor, I CAN really dig it all.

I began with a Crack and inverted Glug, not only producing a finger of dense, bone-white head with decent retention, but also releasing the scent of apricots into the air. I hear the Siren's song, but I must CANtinue. Nose was lush and ripe with the smell of apricots. Color was a hazy orangish-yellow. Finally, I succumbed to her wiles and took my first draught. Mouthfeel was very effervescent, almost to the point of soda pop and the taste was so fruity that I could close my eyes and envision apricots in front of me. That is not to say that it was sweet, however. It had a mild tartness to it that made it entirely satisfying, If it were cloyingly sweet, I would not enjoy it nearly as much. Finish was on that slippery boundary between semi-sweet and semi-dry. Is it partly cloudy or is it partly sunny outside today? There are some things that I CANnot clarify, no matter how I try.

3.92/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Nice apricot flavor, needed more aroma, more malt than hops

3.32/5  rDev -15.1%

Labelled "Apricot Blonde". 1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a nonical pint glass in me gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given the brewery and this beer's reputation.

Served straight from the refrigerator and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with pretzel rods.

A: Pours a one finger beige colour head of fair cream, nice thickness, and pretty good retention. Colour is a nontransparent murky hazy copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Fresh apricot with clean malts, cream, and some light fruit hopping. Quite a pungent aroma.

T: Apricot puree and cream over a clean malt foundation. Light fruity hops lend some character and help round it out. A moderate strength taste; it doesn't hit me as bold or experimental. Some clove-ridden yeasty notes. Somewhat simple. Fresh and enjoyable. Not horribly complex or subtle, but likable.

Mf: Smooth, wet, and refreshing. Clean. Adequate carbonation. Adequately thick on the palate. Suits the flavours in a general sense.

Dr: Drinkable and enjoyable. I'd try it on draught. I like it. Will satisfy apricot beer fans.

Low B-

3.61/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

"All apricot- all the time" - this seems to be the focus for Dry Dock's fruited Blonde Ale. Where other brewers may add a nuance of fruit here and a touch there, these brewers really sock the fruit to the beer!

Honey orange in its appearance, the expected pectin haze from fruit is a testament to the beer's unfiltered character; thus an interlude into its full flavor. A fast rise of foam recedes just as quickly until a loose twill of foam scatters the surface. Scattered islands of lace coats the glass with ivory white foam in the beer's wake.

All apricot in aroma... except for the slightest taste of grainy pilsner malt and a pep of wheat bread. A twangy tart scent from fermentation can easily be attributed to fruit acidity. But no mistake about it- rich apricot puree dominates the beer's aroma.

All apricot in taste... except for the slim grain-malt character and yeast character seen in the aromas. Its rich fruit taste rivals the flavors found in Tropical Fruit Punch and Fruit Roll-Ups. Modest hops assist in balance but go relatively unnoticed. Only a ghost of wheat returns in aftertaste and outlasts the apricot.

Despite its one-dimensional taste, aroma, and its fairly high rate of residual fruit sweetness, the beer is remarkably refreshing. Aided by zesty carbonation and fruit acidity the beer's body is smooth, highly drinkable and slightly minty to finish. A cool warmth seems lightly menthol like.

It's really easy to over-do it when it comes to fruit beers, and I think that this line has been passed a long time ago- but I feel that this is the brewer's intent: A fruit-forward apricot ale. But the real question, is it (APE)ricot or (APP)ricot?

4.02/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours almost a copper color, or cloudy golden, and very frothy. Nose of...surprise! Apricots. I'm not usually a huge fan of fruit beer, but have to say this is pretty good. Easy to drink, crisp and good flavor. The Apricot is not as overwhelming as the nose indicates and is very enjoyable. I could easily drink more than one :)

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

Slight haze on the golden-orange brew poured in a tall Faust Weizen glass. More head towards the bottom of the bottle, and the carbonation in the mouth is prickly rather than creamy. Plenty of it, though.

The flavor is among the best fruit beers I've tried. It has that rich fruity mouthful, plus the tangy intrigue that makes apricot such a complex flavor at its best. A cross between really good apricot nectar (sweet) and the fresh fruit (tart). The aroma with each gulp is also outstanding.

"What you hope an apricot beer would taste like," sez the tasting companion. Dry Dock is a recent discovery for me and getting to be one of my favorite Colorado breweries. The 22 oz bottle from Mayfair Liquors in Denver.

4.22/5  rDev +7.9%

Bottle purchased in Denver...22 oz. bottle reads "Apricot Blonde". Shared on the back porch with the wife and the Steep as the sunlight fades behinds the pines. Ah, summer.

Medium yellow pour with some sunny orange highlights. Consistent thin off white tarp lays atop.

Smells of fresh apricots and a hint of Macy's perfume counter. If you're reading this Chris, eat it! Perfume is a perfectly cromulent scent in a beer.

Tastes much the same. Like George W aboard some seabound aircraft carrier...mission accomplished. Apricots and beer, commence copulation.

3.83/5  rDev -2%

Found this on the chalkboard at Old Chicago's on Hampden (Denver). I've loved Dry Dock's ales before, so I'll give this one a try.
Pours a slightly glowing orange/peach color. A bit of a relief as I didn't want to see it as a thick syrup-goo. Small head, but retained nicely. Aroma was a bit weak, or maybe just not overpowering. Apricot is noticeable, but not overpowering like some apricot ales. I do think it was served too cold, though.
Taste: Apricot balances the malt nicely and gives the light hops a bit of flavor. I think it's good, not great. Yet it is smooth and very drinkable. Paired this with the Meat Me pizza. I enjoyed it.

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

Very enjoyable beer, glad I had the chance to try it during my visit to Denver.

4.3/5  rDev +10%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Really light summer kind of brew. The flavor and smell of apricot on this baby is killer. Think they nailed what they were trying to achieve.

4.02/5  rDev +2.8%

Had this at the Old Chicago on Buckley (only a mile or two from Dry Dock).
Pretty interesting beer. Not sure what kind of yeast they're using, but it reminds me of a flavored Bavrian weizen. It could be the way the flavors blend, but there's something that's definitely more flavorful than similar brews. It's definitely thicker and more murky, but the texture actually makes it more drinkable.
Apricot flavor steals the show, but there's some apple and banana fruitiness, too. There's even some faint hop flavor in the back, too.
Pretty good fruit beer for sure. This is usually available throughout the spring/summer months, so it's appropriate for this time of year. I definitely recommend it if you like the Pyramid or Sea Dog apricot brews.

EDIT: This is a blonde ale and not a wheat beer. The cloudiness is from the fruit. I still think that yeast imparts some interesting fruit flavors beyond the apricots, and it reminds me of a weizen. Good stuff either way!

4.75/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Very easy to drink. Light summer ale.

4.22/5  rDev +7.9%

Foggy orange haze with a thin soapy white head. No lacing.

HUGE Apricot notes... yum. Honey and wheat also stand out. It's not sugary, it's just fruity.

Very refreshing; medium carbonation, no sweetness, no bitterness, just a well thought out summer (fruit) refresher.

Highly recommended. Well deserving of a Gold medal.

2.93/5  rDev -25.1%

Dry Dock Apricot Blonde: Disclaimer is that I am not a fan of fruit beer. I got the Apricot Blonde in a 12 pack of assorted Dry Dock product. Considering I like the Hefe and the IPA, it was worth a shot.

Dirty apricot in color, the aroma is, you guessed it, strongly apricot, the head is light and fades fast while the carbonation is subtle at best. The beer tastes like apricots. That said it is recognizably a beer, and as I do like apricots, the apricot flavor does well in a beer blend. This brew is for that rare occasion that you really want something fruity and different, the apricot flavor works. But when I want a beer, I will not pull a Dry Dock Apricot Blonde from the fridge.

This is more of an assessment of fruit beers in general. I guess if I had to have a fruit beer, the Dry Dock would be a good choice.

A: Pours a nice semi-cloudy peach from the growler. A small off white head adorns the glass.

S: A nice apricot aroma wafts from the brew. A subtle malt and yeast component balance the fruit.

T: Mildly sweet and furity--not too sweet though. Just the right touch of fruit to make it very refreshing.

M: Very basic. Thin, mellow and not overwhelming. This is what you want from a summer brew. Refreshing and restorative.

D: This would be a good brew to drink after a long hike--whioh is exactly what I did. I could drink several of these to extinguish the thirst from a vigorous workout.

3.46/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A - pours an amberish, orange color with a soft, white head

S - nose is apricots (surprise, surprise) and a little bit of cereal malts

T - taste starts off with a little bit of citrus, but quickly moves on to a bread, cereal malt flavor. The apricot is mixed in the malts pretty quickly, and this is how the beer finishes...a mix of malty apricot goodness.

M - mouthfeel is a little light, but nice and smooth

D - overall, this is a refreshing summer beer. I like the apricot flavor in it...it's a fruit flavor I haven't had too much of in beer (it's most celebrated in Cantillon's Fou Foune), so I welcomed this as a change of pace. Also of importance, the fruit flavors don't come off as being fake and syrupy, which a lot of beers in this category can.

3.65/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a light orange with a yellowish hue and a white head. Aroma is apricot jam straight up; its good but definitely one dimensional. Flavor is pretty much the same, with dominant apricot. At first I get some fresh apricot fruit, but then the sweet jamminess comes into play. Along for the ride that shows itself in the finish is some slight cracker. An active mouthfeel, works well. Overall, a solid and enjoyable fruit beer. Will drink again I am sure as it makes for a nice summertime brew, but definitely best as part of a mixed sixer.

4.4/5  rDev +12.5%

Keg was a gift from the brewer. Many, many thanks to Kevin for this one! Beer pours a cloudy, peach color. Had a straw colored, two finger head that left heavy lacing around the glass.

Aroma is very sweet from the apricot, also apples, grains and light floral hops.

Taste was apricots as expected, along with wheat grains, bread and light yeast. Also had a slightly bitter finish, which was very nice and helped to balance the sweetness out.

Moderate carbonation and a creamy mouthfeel. Very crisp, refreshing and easy drinking. The perfect beer for a tailgate party, BBQ, hot summer day, etc... I really love this beer. Goes down way too easy which makes the drinkability very high.

to view more.
Apricot Blonde from Dry Dock Brewing Co.