2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Apricot Blonde - Dry Dock Brewing Co.

Apricot BlondeApricot Blonde

Dry Dock Brewing Co. visit their website
Colorado, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: Mebuzzard on 07-28-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 92 | Reviews: 26 | Show All Ratings:
StonedTrippin

4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

certainly one of the better fruit beers ive had. this one pours cloudy and blonde, almost hefeweizen style. smells like fresh fruit, apricots, peaches, nectarines, all of the above. its got some more balanced hops on the back end of the flavor, but this is really about the apricot. no artificial or overly sugary extracts going on here, this is the genuine article. a superb summer brew. feel is light and drinkable, aftertaste is only mildly sweet. this is a fruit beer for people who dont usually like fruit beers, me being one of those. i really really enjoyed my pint of this, and might might pick up a bomber this afternoon. good nectar to share with your lady too!

05-25-2012 18:54:29 | More by StonedTrippin
SassyBootblack

3.93/5  rDev +1.3%

On tap at the Rackhouse Pub.

Appearance: Cloudy, dark gold, almost copper colored.

Smell: Apricots!

Taste: Apricots doing jazz hands. Compared to other fruit beers I've had, they really get a phenominal amount of fruit flavor in there.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, smooth.

Drinkability: Probably the best fruit beer I've had in memory, so bottoms up.

01-03-2011 16:59:06 | More by SassyBootblack
ArrogantB

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

On tap at Rackhouse pub. Nice orange color, hazy, looks good. The smell was jam packed with apricots, so good. The flavor was also totally dominated by apricots which was quite good. It was almost like biting into one. This is the second best beer I have had that uses apricots, Fou Foune is clearly the best but I'm biased towards lambics.

edit 9/7/10

Just got a growler, wow! Way too easy to drink and fucking filled with apricots.

08-22-2010 18:50:47 | More by ArrogantB
Domingo

4.03/5  rDev +3.9%

Had this at the Old Chicago on Buckley (only a mile or two from Dry Dock).
Pretty interesting beer. Not sure what kind of yeast they're using, but it reminds me of a flavored Bavrian weizen. It could be the way the flavors blend, but there's something that's definitely more flavorful than similar brews. It's definitely thicker and more murky, but the texture actually makes it more drinkable.
Apricot flavor steals the show, but there's some apple and banana fruitiness, too. There's even some faint hop flavor in the back, too.
Pretty good fruit beer for sure. This is usually available throughout the spring/summer months, so it's appropriate for this time of year. I definitely recommend it if you like the Pyramid or Sea Dog apricot brews.

EDIT: This is a blonde ale and not a wheat beer. The cloudiness is from the fruit. I still think that yeast imparts some interesting fruit flavors beyond the apricots, and it reminds me of a weizen. Good stuff either way!

03-30-2009 15:25:41 | More by Domingo
drumrboy22

4.43/5  rDev +14.2%

Keg was a gift from the brewer. Many, many thanks to Kevin for this one! Beer pours a cloudy, peach color. Had a straw colored, two finger head that left heavy lacing around the glass.

Aroma is very sweet from the apricot, also apples, grains and light floral hops.

Taste was apricots as expected, along with wheat grains, bread and light yeast. Also had a slightly bitter finish, which was very nice and helped to balance the sweetness out.

Moderate carbonation and a creamy mouthfeel. Very crisp, refreshing and easy drinking. The perfect beer for a tailgate party, BBQ, hot summer day, etc... I really love this beer. Goes down way too easy which makes the drinkability very high.

03-09-2008 19:26:33 | More by drumrboy22
Mebuzzard

3.88/5  rDev 0%

Found this on the chalkboard at Old Chicago's on Hampden (Denver). I've loved Dry Dock's ales before, so I'll give this one a try.
Pours a slightly glowing orange/peach color. A bit of a relief as I didn't want to see it as a thick syrup-goo. Small head, but retained nicely. Aroma was a bit weak, or maybe just not overpowering. Apricot is noticeable, but not overpowering like some apricot ales. I do think it was served too cold, though.
Taste: Apricot balances the malt nicely and gives the light hops a bit of flavor. I think it's good, not great. Yet it is smooth and very drinkable. Paired this with the Meat Me pizza. I enjoyed it.

07-28-2007 20:24:50 | More by Mebuzzard
ZoomanCru

2.58/5  rDev -33.5%

Apricot Blonde – Blonde Ale (5.1%) - Dry Dock Brewing Co.
☆☆ ½

App: Hazy, copper/orange color with significant haze and lots of particulates floating around, more than likely the apricot puree. Head is paltry, with soapy bubbles that dissipate very quickly with no retention and no lacing.

Smell: Apricot with some notes of biscuit malts and a slight, high sourness in the nose.

Taste: Apricots prevail, slightly sweet and sour together. Not a whole lot else going on, a little bit of malt sweetness in the true taste. Tastes a little wheaty too but this might have to do more with the yeast.

Mouth: Dry, with a lingering sweetness that clings high on the palate. Definitely a little on the watery side.

Home tasting, 12oz can into Tulip Glass. 12/23/13

12-24-2013 05:22:42 | More by ZoomanCru
LXIXME

New Mexico

3.08/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Very small off white head quickly dies into a thin lacing above a cloudy particle filled honey golden colored beer.

Big apricot aroma drowns out anything else that might be trying to showcase itself.

Fizzy apricot taste that is surprisingly drinkable.

The fizziness makes this beer drink more like a soda, maybe more carbonation than I like in my beers, who knows.

Worth a try, but I don't think anybody would want more than two or three of these in a sitting.

09-08-2013 02:26:21 | More by LXIXME
woodychandler

4.33/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Today is my New CANorado Beer Sunday and this one was part of an in-person trade with Blargimus whom I have traded with before, but never in person. He is a Bar Trivia master and so The Old Lady and I trekked down to play and then swapped beers afterwards. Slainte!

From the CAN: "The Siren waits thee, singing song for song. - Walter Savage Landor"; "Ale Brewed with Apricot Puree"; "A misty golden blonde ale fermented with shiploads of fruit. A crisp, clean finish and just enough sweetness make this a favorite. Combine with sunshine and friends for full effect."; "Small Brewing Company of the Year, 2009 Great AmeriCAN Beer Festival".

As a retired sailor, this whole lineup really speaks to me. From the logo of the sailing ship to the nautical references to the sly humor, I CAN really dig it all.

I began with a Crack and inverted Glug, not only producing a finger of dense, bone-white head with decent retention, but also releasing the scent of apricots into the air. I hear the Siren's song, but I must CANtinue. Nose was lush and ripe with the smell of apricots. Color was a hazy orangish-yellow. Finally, I succumbed to her wiles and took my first draught. Mouthfeel was very effervescent, almost to the point of soda pop and the taste was so fruity that I could close my eyes and envision apricots in front of me. That is not to say that it was sweet, however. It had a mild tartness to it that made it entirely satisfying, If it were cloyingly sweet, I would not enjoy it nearly as much. Finish was on that slippery boundary between semi-sweet and semi-dry. Is it partly cloudy or is it partly sunny outside today? There are some things that I CANnot clarify, no matter how I try.

08-18-2013 13:58:48 | More by woodychandler
iSip

2.93/5  rDev -24.5%

Dry Dock Apricot Blonde: Disclaimer is that I am not a fan of fruit beer. I got the Apricot Blonde in a 12 pack of assorted Dry Dock product. Considering I like the Hefe and the IPA, it was worth a shot.

Dirty apricot in color, the aroma is, you guessed it, strongly apricot, the head is light and fades fast while the carbonation is subtle at best. The beer tastes like apricots. That said it is recognizably a beer, and as I do like apricots, the apricot flavor does well in a beer blend. This brew is for that rare occasion that you really want something fruity and different, the apricot flavor works. But when I want a beer, I will not pull a Dry Dock Apricot Blonde from the fridge.

This is more of an assessment of fruit beers in general. I guess if I had to have a fruit beer, the Dry Dock would be a good choice.

08-15-2013 19:15:53 | More by iSip
birchstick

3.43/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A - pours an amberish, orange color with a soft, white head

S - nose is apricots (surprise, surprise) and a little bit of cereal malts

T - taste starts off with a little bit of citrus, but quickly moves on to a bread, cereal malt flavor. The apricot is mixed in the malts pretty quickly, and this is how the beer finishes...a mix of malty apricot goodness.

M - mouthfeel is a little light, but nice and smooth

D - overall, this is a refreshing summer beer. I like the apricot flavor in it...it's a fruit flavor I haven't had too much of in beer (it's most celebrated in Cantillon's Fou Foune), so I welcomed this as a change of pace. Also of importance, the fruit flavors don't come off as being fake and syrupy, which a lot of beers in this category can.

07-26-2013 01:45:15 | More by birchstick
BeerWizard

3.76/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Got a sixer of cans for about $10 from Bonnie Brae Wine tonight. Poured into a goblet generating a massive head, taking two subsequent pours to get the rest of the can in there. Looks like a tawny-orange, and honestly I expected something clarified, but this has some cloud to it. Nose is apricot and yeast, and not much else. I've read some reviews on this and the label also says it's made with apricot puree, but I didn't expect the apricot to come through as much as it does. Flavor is like an orange-hefeweizen (and goes really nicely in 90° weather with BBQ, BTW). Mouthfeel is light to medium with a lingering finish. I can see how this could come off as very one note to some but I appreciate its well done simplicity. This is the first fruit beer I've tried outside of lambics, and I gotta say, I like it. For me, this is not an everyday drinker, but it's no novelty. Apparently a seasonal as well so definitely worth trying this summer. Well done.

06-24-2013 04:18:14 | More by BeerWizard
gueuzedreg

4.29/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I am being a home on this one. This beer got me back into craft.

A- Murky beautiful dark apple cider. Thin head with little retention leaving a large lacing.

S- Smells of rich apricot. Much more than I have had in any other beer. Almost seems like extract (which I would bet is the case $ wise)

T- Thin creamy apricot blonde. Mild malt.

M- Medium to medium-thick for a blonde ale.

O- This is worth everyone to try at least once in their lifetime! This got me back into craft, so I have a glory hole in my heart for this beer. You either like it or hate it. No inbetween.

06-17-2013 23:57:11 | More by gueuzedreg
kyleelton

3.3/5  rDev -14.9%

For this from a friend in Colorado in an awesome beer trade that included a ton of Funkwerks. Certainly looking forward to that but my first foray is this one.

As soon as I open the can I get that sweet apricot aroma. So fruity. It's not bad, but I normally don't love fruit beers so let's see. Head begins a little thin, but when it dies away it leaves me a nice, satisfying layer of lace. Golden orange and cloudy.

Like I said major fruit aroma. A proper whiff reveals that this is no ordinary fruited beer. Barely getting any beer at all, but if I didn't have my eyes open I would swear there was a ripe, delicious apricot just inches from my nose. No artificial flavors, here. I could smell this all day, but I'm eager to taste how this apricot bomb mixes with the (presumed) hops.

Apricots and citrus as expected. If I'm totally honest, though, I'm a little disappointed. Don't know what was expecting, but while the apricot flavor is the main attraction I think I was hoping it would blend with a stronger bitterness.

The mouthfeel is a bit underwhelming, too. It is a blonde, though, so perhaps I was expecting more of a pale ale body.

Too much comparing to Dogfish's Aprihop, which I like, a lot, and this beer doesn't quite make it there. It's decent I suppose if your a fan of fruit beers, but this one is not for me. It does, however get major points for authenticity. They did not cut corners on the apricots.

04-12-2013 02:23:07 | More by kyleelton
denver10

3.66/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a light orange with a yellowish hue and a white head. Aroma is apricot jam straight up; its good but definitely one dimensional. Flavor is pretty much the same, with dominant apricot. At first I get some fresh apricot fruit, but then the sweet jamminess comes into play. Along for the ride that shows itself in the finish is some slight cracker. An active mouthfeel, works well. Overall, a solid and enjoyable fruit beer. Will drink again I am sure as it makes for a nice summertime brew, but definitely best as part of a mixed sixer.

04-03-2013 03:52:06 | More by denver10
BEERchitect

Kentucky

3.59/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

"All apricot- all the time" - this seems to be the focus for Dry Dock's fruited Blonde Ale. Where other brewers may add a nuance of fruit here and a touch there, these brewers really sock the fruit to the beer!

Honey orange in its appearance, the expected pectin haze from fruit is a testament to the beer's unfiltered character; thus an interlude into its full flavor. A fast rise of foam recedes just as quickly until a loose twill of foam scatters the surface. Scattered islands of lace coats the glass with ivory white foam in the beer's wake.

All apricot in aroma... except for the slightest taste of grainy pilsner malt and a pep of wheat bread. A twangy tart scent from fermentation can easily be attributed to fruit acidity. But no mistake about it- rich apricot puree dominates the beer's aroma.

All apricot in taste... except for the slim grain-malt character and yeast character seen in the aromas. Its rich fruit taste rivals the flavors found in Tropical Fruit Punch and Fruit Roll-Ups. Modest hops assist in balance but go relatively unnoticed. Only a ghost of wheat returns in aftertaste and outlasts the apricot.

Despite its one-dimensional taste, aroma, and its fairly high rate of residual fruit sweetness, the beer is remarkably refreshing. Aided by zesty carbonation and fruit acidity the beer's body is smooth, highly drinkable and slightly minty to finish. A cool warmth seems lightly menthol like.

It's really easy to over-do it when it comes to fruit beers, and I think that this line has been passed a long time ago- but I feel that this is the brewer's intent: A fruit-forward apricot ale. But the real question, is it (APE)ricot or (APP)ricot?

03-29-2013 04:54:36 | More by BEERchitect
chugalug06

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

Foggy orange haze with a thin soapy white head. No lacing.

HUGE Apricot notes... yum. Honey and wheat also stand out. It's not sugary, it's just fruity.

Very refreshing; medium carbonation, no sweetness, no bitterness, just a well thought out summer (fruit) refresher.

Highly recommended. Well deserving of a Gold medal.

10-21-2012 23:08:53 | More by chugalug06
kojevergas

3.33/5  rDev -14.2%

Labelled "Apricot Blonde". 1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a nonical pint glass in me gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given the brewery and this beer's reputation.

Served straight from the refrigerator and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with pretzel rods.

A: Pours a one finger beige colour head of fair cream, nice thickness, and pretty good retention. Colour is a nontransparent murky hazy copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Fresh apricot with clean malts, cream, and some light fruit hopping. Quite a pungent aroma.

T: Apricot puree and cream over a clean malt foundation. Light fruity hops lend some character and help round it out. A moderate strength taste; it doesn't hit me as bold or experimental. Some clove-ridden yeasty notes. Somewhat simple. Fresh and enjoyable. Not horribly complex or subtle, but likable.

Mf: Smooth, wet, and refreshing. Clean. Adequate carbonation. Adequately thick on the palate. Suits the flavours in a general sense.

Dr: Drinkable and enjoyable. I'd try it on draught. I like it. Will satisfy apricot beer fans.

Low B-

06-11-2012 04:05:10 | More by kojevergas
mactrail

4.28/5  rDev +10.3%

Slight haze on the golden-orange brew poured in a tall Faust Weizen glass. More head towards the bottom of the bottle, and the carbonation in the mouth is prickly rather than creamy. Plenty of it, though.

The flavor is among the best fruit beers I've tried. It has that rich fruity mouthful, plus the tangy intrigue that makes apricot such a complex flavor at its best. A cross between really good apricot nectar (sweet) and the fresh fruit (tart). The aroma with each gulp is also outstanding.

"What you hope an apricot beer would taste like," sez the tasting companion. Dry Dock is a recent discovery for me and getting to be one of my favorite Colorado breweries. The 22 oz bottle from Mayfair Liquors in Denver.

05-20-2012 03:33:40 | More by mactrail
Robloc303

Pours almost a copper color, or cloudy golden, and very frothy. Nose of...surprise! Apricots. I'm not usually a huge fan of fruit beer, but have to say this is pretty good. Easy to drink, crisp and good flavor. The Apricot is not as overwhelming as the nose indicates and is very enjoyable. I could easily drink more than one :)

05-03-2012 22:22:49 | More by Robloc303
hopfacebrew

4.58/5  rDev +18%

Re-post of hacked "jmkratt" account :(

Bottled as Dry Dock Apricot Blonde. Picked up a bottle as soon as it hit the shelves at the local store, the guy stocking said I bought the first one there - yes! Anyhow, on to the review:

A - Poured from brown 22oz bomber to a pint glass. The beer pours a cloudy dark deep yellow/golden color. Nice 1.5 finger white bubbly head with excellent retention and lacing throughout.

S - Wow, apricots! The beer smells heavenly. I can't think of how it could get any better. The nice pleasant fruity sweetness of the apricots dominate. Blends well with the yeast, and malty biscuity background of the beer. You can basically taste the beer through the nose.

T - Very similar to the nose with a dominant force of apricot immediately. It provides a nice fruity sweetness and imparts slight flavors of apples and bananas as well. Very flavorful. Mild bitterness. The biscuity malt provides a nice bakdrop for the fruit. Finishes crisp and clean.

M - Thick, medium bodied. Well Carbonated.

O - Another excellent beer from Dry Dock. Perfect for a summer day, it is a Summer Release as the bottle states. I've never been a fan of Apricot brews until this one. Outstanding.

01-17-2012 13:54:00 | More by hopfacebrew
Haybeerman

4.4/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Hazy straw/gold color. Poured a 3 finger creamy off-white head with excellent retention to a 1 finger cap. Decanted continually. Legs of lacing sliding down then holding to the glass.

S: Mild, sweet apricots; pleasantly fruity. Biscuity malt in the background with a very light sprice.

T: Very consistent with the nose. Fresh, sweet apricots dominate the palate though other light-colored fruits are present as well. Biscuity malt provides some balance ahead of the finish. Mild bitterness punctuates a crisp, refreshing (and slightly sweet) finish.

M: Medium body. Ample carbonation; very active on the palate and in the glass. Crisp and refreshing.

O: Though clearly apricot in nose and taste, not overdone. Beer achieves a nice balance though fruit flavors are dominant. Not a fan of fruit beers, but liked this one - a lot.

09-12-2011 21:27:05 | More by Haybeerman
GilGarp

4.53/5  rDev +16.8%

Bomber labeled "Apricot Blonde" Summer Seasonal: Ale Brewed with Apricot Puree.

Served cold into a goblet, this beer has a hazy golden orange color with thick white head.

The aroma is spectacular! If you love apricots, you'll probably spend as much time sniffing the beer as you do sipping it.

Flavor is really solid as well. A sweet and mild malt backbone is there simply to provide a stage upon which the apricots to perform. Very little bitterness but not cloyingly sweet either. Very drinkable, especially considering it's a fruit beer.

Mouthfeel is light in body and carbonation. Reasonably well balanced but fairly sweet. No hops to speak of, really.

Overall a really well done beer. I will have to seek out another bottle before the Summer seasonals go away.

09-09-2011 00:27:13 | More by GilGarp
BarrytheBear

Wisconsin

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

Bottle purchased in Denver...22 oz. bottle reads "Apricot Blonde". Shared on the back porch with the wife and the Steep as the sunlight fades behinds the pines. Ah, summer.

Medium yellow pour with some sunny orange highlights. Consistent thin off white tarp lays atop.

Smells of fresh apricots and a hint of Macy's perfume counter. If you're reading this Chris, eat it! Perfume is a perfectly cromulent scent in a beer.

Tastes much the same. Like George W aboard some seabound aircraft carrier...mission accomplished. Apricots and beer, commence copulation.

07-07-2011 00:48:48 | More by BarrytheBear
JCDenver

4.43/5  rDev +14.2%

Labeled "Apricot Blonde." Poured into a snifter; color is cloudy light orange. About an inch of dense, bubbly head, which quickly receded to a nice ring of lacing.

The smell of this beer is phenomenal. Just a big punch of rich apricot goodness.

Loads of apricots with a nice, subdued malt backing and a touch of bitterness on the end.

Medium bodied, very well carbonated, and extremely refreshing.

This is by far the best non-sour apricot beer I have ever had, just delicious.

06-21-2011 00:32:52 | More by JCDenver
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Apricot Blonde from Dry Dock Brewing Co.