Hop Abomination - Dry Dock Brewing Co.

Hop AbominationHop Abomination

Dry Dock Brewing Co. visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: Domingo on 06-03-2011

IBUs: 70
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Abomination Alström Bros
3.56/5  rDev -7.5%

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

3.73/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Continuing with my can quest for the summer, finally broke down and got the Hop Abomination from Dry Dock. I've had their Apricot Blonde (ok), and their imperial pumpkin (underwhelming), and I've just been reluctant to try them again. But what the hell, can an IPA ever be all that bad?

Let's break this beer down. Six of cans depicting green eyes coming up from a green ocean. Looks remeniscient of a UFC ad, but what sold me was their own description of the beer denoting "massive amounts of floral, citrus and tropical hop flavors," which is basically right up my alley. So much so that I'm surprised we haven't bumped into each other before.

Pour yields a clouded amber beverage with a quickly dissapating off-white head, much like the "ivory whitecaps, swirling amid golden seas" also mentioned in the description on the can. I do love my hazy ales. Nose off the bat sets it apart from other IPA's. I've heard the descriptor "dank" used a few times, and that's what this is: a soppy, dank, fruity and herbal IPA.

Flavor really showcases herbal-not-piney hops on a bed of tropical fruit. There is a slight off flavor for me where I'm tasting something like freeze-dried vegetation, but that is by no means necessarily the case, just what I am tasting. Very funky-fresh, sweet, hardly bitter enough for an IPA, but I think the showcasing of the hop, whether bitter or not so much, is still effective. Carbonation is low, mouthfeel is medium, with the big flavors staving off all but the slightest sense of wateriness.

Overall, I am most impressed by the uniqueness of this IPA, and I think that's really what brewers have to do now with SO MANY IPA's out there for consumers to enjoy. The flavors are good, my only regret is that kind of funky, dry-grass flavor lurking just underneath the surface. If they could address that issue, I think they'd have a world class beer on their hands.

3.63/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Fresh growler from the source had a few hours after fill.

A- Deep mahogany, medium lacing cloud white in color, very good retention and legs that move and shake

S- Big malt upfront, then hops and pine. Kinda bland here

T- Bland malty with bland hops with bland gha. I remember loving this beer; but since then I have been blessed to try top notch IPA around the nation. Bland gha

M- Really watery for me; I like the effort toward some sort of creaminess or texture of some sort. Sort of a void here on that. Other than that the carb is spot on.

O- Under impressed, maybe I got a bad batch. I remember it being better in the long long ago

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

3.65/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A-Nice honey color with a two finger of white head, moderate lacing.

S- First thing that hits is the resiny hop notes followed by pineapple and mango. Of course with the pine of american hops

T- bitter sweet taste of mango followed by a sweet aftertaste of tropical pine. It is more fruity then flowery the bitterness mellows as the beer warms

M- Noticeably carbonated with a moderate crispness followed by a smooth cream like finish.

O- It is not a bad American IPA that is for sure. I like the bitter/sweet tropical fruits that come forward in this beer. It is not a citrusy hop which is a nice change from some of the other American IPAs. Great for backpacking!

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

Hop Abomination from Dry Dock Brewing Co.