2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bligh's Barleywine Ale - Dry Dock Brewing Co.

Bligh's Barleywine AleBligh's Barleywine Ale

Dry Dock Brewing Co. visit their website
Colorado, United States

English Barleywine |  10.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: waltonc on 10-08-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 359 | Reviews: 103 | Show All Ratings:
RodneyX

Missouri

3.25/5  rDev -25.8%

This beer pours nicely with a good head and some lace. Smell is like bread, kind of strange. There is too much heat on this one at 10% and the wood is harsh, makes it hard to drink a lot of it. This was okay but I don't know why it is getting the ratings it is.

01-03-2012 18:27:17 | More by RodneyX
jrallen34

3.43/5  rDev -21.7%

bottle... once again, hopefully the hype train stops in Chicago for another pretty average beer... dark caramel with a whispy tan head, nice coloring... the aroma is pretty good but too much oak dominates, some really nice sweet malt but has a wort or bready character to it, a bit of molasses as well... the taste is all over the place, and just weird, very syrupy, lots of oak and alcohol, ok for a 3-4 ounces but after that tough to drink... might be great in time, now its merely a slightly above average ba bw

11-27-2011 15:29:38 | More by jrallen34
CruisaC

3.53/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to arrogantB for this trade. 2012 release

Pours standard deep caramel barleywine-ish color; unfortunately nary a head of foam forms

Smell is malt heavy with a touch of whiskey/oak coming through.

Taste is very biscuit malty. I was hoping for something more complex. Very one dimensional to me. Very little barrel coming through.

Mouthfeel has more carbonation than the initial pour clued me in on, but still left me wanting a bit more.

Overall a letdown, glad to have tried it on a random Sunday night watching the Walking Dead with my brother; otherwise I'd have been more disappointed. Still glad to tick it off the list of BA barleywines.

02-18-2013 03:25:06 | More by CruisaC
zhanson88

3.56/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Bligh's pours out a moderately viscous murky auburn color. Not much in the way of carbonation it appears, as very little head forms on the pour, which is remedied by vigorous swirling of the glass. So there is a bit of carbonation, if not much.

Smell: Toasted caramel, coconut, dark fruits, vanilla, and a hint of whiskey. Seems to be nicely integrated, and certainly complex. While it's complex, it does seem to be lacking a certain richness that the best English Barleywines I've sampled have had. But still, good.

Taste: Toffee, toasted coconut, hints of whiskey soaked raisin, and vanilla. Again, nicely complex, but really lacking a certain something to push it over the top. Flavors are a bit muted for me.

Mouthfeel/Overall: Medium mouthfeel, which seems about right, but almost devoid of carbonation. Certainly a miss there. Overall, some very nice flavors and a good base beer, but for me the lack of carbonation really retracts from most of the other aspects. Add a bit of carbonation and I like it a lot more.

01-03-2014 03:23:25 | More by zhanson88
mulder1010

Australia

3.63/5  rDev -17.1%

Bomber poured into a Great Divide tulip (blatant homerism)

Thanks to Phillyswear for the bottle

A-- Poured and settled a dark cola color. Lots of ruby tints when shown to light. Active carbonation on pouring but not much in the head department. Decent ringed light brown collar, but really at best a short lived light brown film. Not much more really on swirling the beer.

S-- Fig, Carmel, Oak, Vanilla, Coconut and slight bits of alcohol. Reminds me a bit of a dessert here in Australia called sticky date pudding. Just softer in the nose than I expected, or hoped.

T-- Rich Carmel, Fig, Vanilla, and coconut. Alcohol much more noticeable in the taste.

M-- Slightly higher carbed than I would want but it does work. Higher medium bodied. Flavors stay pretty consistent all the way through on this. Just slight bits of tannins here and there but this also a bit boozy in the finish. Drinks bigger than what is is.

O-- Good beer. Not great. A little hot and much preferred the taste and feel as opposed to the soft nose with this. Reminds me a lot of a sherry and this this will develop into something really good as it feels bigger than what it currently is.

11-30-2011 13:32:30 | More by mulder1010
maximum12

3.65/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Blakelive784 for sending this much-anticipated bottle along a bit ago. I've only sampled this next to a bevy of the world's best barleywines, so I was eager to take a swing at it solo. 22 oz. bottle with a minimalist, retro label & gold foil split with my wife.

Pour is a dull, lifeless brown, like a clay tennis court after a five-hour match split in half by a thunderstorm. The smell brings me close to nirvana: some of the biggest caramel noodles I've experienced, dipped in vanilla & painted with seventeen layers of bourbon. A dose of brown sugar completes the aromatic masterpiece.

Bligh's Barleywine is liquified caramel with a base of bourbon. Almost literally. Caramel melts the top layer off my palate's face, backed up by lick after lick of bourbon. Booze, sweetness, brown sugar course through mid-palate; then the alcohol really kicks in & alcoholic caramel squares dominate the end. Lack of carbonation weights this one down & hurts the drinkability. A bit of spritz would have been nice.

Now I understand why this beer underwhelmed against the likes of Mother of All Storms, King Henry, & other heavyweights: a pretty good barrel-aged barleywine, but just not in the same weight class.

07-27-2013 02:59:49 | More by maximum12
womencantsail

3.68/5  rDev -16%

Thanks for sharing this, Javi.

Pours a dark amber/copper color with a fairly sizable off-white head. Smells overwhelmingly of dark fruits such as prunes, plums, and raisins. There is a bit of whiskey and vanilla on the back end. Sweet caramel and brown sugar add to the cloyingness. The flavor is also intensely sweet. Heavy on the brown sugar, caramel, and toffee notes. Lots of dark fruit flavors with only minimal whiskey/barrel notes. Medium bodied with surprising carbonation for the style.

12-08-2011 18:37:11 | More by womencantsail
kojevergas

3.75/5  rDev -14.4%

2012 vintage. Acquired a few weeks ago at a liquor store in Parker, Colorado. Reviewed live. 10% ABV confirmed. 1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with an elegant label and a foilved over pressure cap served into an EKU 28 snifter in me gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Expectations are high given its current rating.

Served after a brief period of rest following its removal from the refrigerator, and allowed to warm further over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with honey pretzel braids.

A: Pours a half finger beige colour head of fair cream, decent thickness, and bad retention (~40 seconds) - though it's excusable for the 10% ABV. A ring floater remains for about a minute after the head fully recedes. Body colour is a very dark caramel-brown; it's understated but I wouldn't call it dull. Its lack of transparency coupled with its opaqueness prevents it from being vibrant. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Overall a spot-on appearance for the style.

Sm: Whiskey is definitely the first thing I get, followed by oak. Caramel and toffee make an appearance. Hints of vanilla lend it more of a bourbon feel than a whiskey. Toffee. Biscuit malts. It's actually surprisingly restrained in terms of its malt character for a barleywine. Buried fruit. I search for coconut but don't find it. Rich in fermented sugars. I don't detect any substantial hop character - a positive attribute in terms of my personal preferences for the style. An understated, subtle aroma of above average strength. No real yeasty character is detectable, but there may be a hint of alcohol heat.

T: Oak and coconut hit me first and last throughout. Some bourbon-esque vanilla, again feeling more like bourbon than whiskey. Caramelized malts comprise the unobtrusive foundation, but never feel out of place. Subtle hints of toffee throughout. Some dark fruit on the climax combines with the vanilla for a satisfying effect. A bit of alcohol heat right on the finish, to its detriment. No yeast character at all. A bit imbalanced, but well put together for the most part. It's certainly a sipper. A good build for a barleywine. The taste is certainly more rich and malty than the aroma. I like it, but admittedly I expected better.

Mf: Undercarbonated, bordering on flat. Smooth and wet. Good thickness. Lacks sufficient palate presence to adequately support the flavour profile. A beer this refined in taste demands a better executed mouthfeel.

Dr: She's a sipper, alright. I'll have trouble killing this bottle by myself, but I reckon I'll enjoy doing so for the most part. Still, I do wish I had a friend about to help me put her down. The ABV needs to be hidden far better than this. Overall, it's a solid barleywine from one of Colorado's best breweries, but I expected far better given its current ratings. I'm hoping this will pick up with age, and I'm not unhappy to have a couple more bottles on hand, but I have to admit I'm disappointed. Worth picking up if you haven't tried it, but I won't be grabbing any in future years unless I hear it's gotten better.

High B

It does pick up slightly as it warms, but not substantially. I recommend serving it slightly chilled.

I wouldn't pair this with anything fancy. Pretzels did me just fine.

Seems like a good candidate for aging.

*I had to tweak the appearance rating to give this the letter grade I needed to. This helps keep my reviews fair and consistent. Please see my profile page for more information.

12-26-2012 05:16:27 | More by kojevergas
mynie

Indiana

3.79/5  rDev -13.5%

Let’s say you’re at a rockin’ party, circa 1985. It’s way New Wave. The host is dressed shamefully, like Eddie Murphy in Raw. The chicks (it’s still okay to call them “chicks” back now) all look awful, their faces mannequins smeared with crushed berries, their hair a sad mess of feathers and straw. Herbie Hancock’s “Rocket” is playing and some dude is like, hey man, you wanna blast off? You’re worried he’s talking about s’ing your D but you still say “yeah sure” because you don’t want people to think you’re grody to the max and so the dude pulls out some coke and extols you to take a snort. You do. It burns. Your vision gets tinted red and a bunch of Italian guys start cheering and saying stuff in their ungodly language, something about “borax” and “crushed Smarties.” Still, you pretend to like it, because you want to sound rad.

That’s what it was like when I tried J.W. Lees Harvest Ale. My whole review, I was like “oh golly this is probably way good but I’m just too stupid to know any better.” Later on, I noticed something strange: John’s Grocery has a whole vertical of Lees going back to the mid 90s. Not because it’s expensive. Because it’s bad and no one likes it.

So I say sure, go ahead, pour that shit in oak. People complain about how horrible the BBA Lees’ ales are, but I don’t see how they could be any worse.

I bring this up because Dry Dock’s Barleywine is, like Lee’s, an English barley wine. And I’m sorry, but this style is shit unless it’s properly Americanized. The genuine British stuff tastes like some kind of weird peat and raisin tea. You got to load some hops into that, or pour in some vanilla, or just fucking stick it in a barrel for a year and hope it comes out palatable.

This—this is palatable. I think it’s a good example of its style, then, in that it’s traditionally British (all filled with figs and rotting teeth) but I’ll be able to finish the bottle. It’s still not quite good, though.

(Full review with pics: http://mynie.com/?p=641)

06-18-2013 02:03:36 | More by mynie
DenverHopHead

Colorado

3.81/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap; poured into a snifter.
Appearance - a caramel brown, little to no head and that leads to no lacing.
Smell - some sweetness, spice, a tangy alcohol.
Taste - sweet bourbon, some cognac, a hint of brown sugar, cinnamon and spice.
Feel - this is a sweet, smooth barley wine. The ABV is present, but very welcomed!
Overall - an excellent brew, but certainly overrated, especially considering the price point.

03-20-2014 23:12:57 | More by DenverHopHead
MasterSki

3.9/5  rDev -11%

Big thanks to Chris (spycow) for opening this one, and big thanks to DividedAvery for trading me a bottle. Served in a Cigar City snifter.

A - A half-finger of light tan foam settles to a thin ring, wispy cap, and tiny spots of lace. The body is an attractive opaque ruby-brown color with some purplish highlights to it.

S - Tons of barrel here - oak, toasted coconut, red fruits, toffee, dates and figs, and plenty of overt booze and whiskey. Subtle, this beer is not. The flavors are quite nice, but the beer is very harsh at this stage, with intense oak and brash alcohol dominating the flavor profile.

T - The taste features more of the base beer, with lots of toffee and caramel flavors, as well as some vanilla and butterscotch notes from the barrel-aging. There's significantly less alcohol presence, with a greater emphasis on sweet malty goodness. I enjoyed the taste significantly more than the aroma, but I don't find this to be superior to other beers of the style.

M - Full bodied, with surprisingly active carbonation. Sticky, chewy, and viscous, with a low amount of tannic dryness. Quite enjoyable, except for the obvious alcohol presence. Drinks more like a 12-13% beer than a 10% one.

D - I hate to say this but: Over. Rated. Not a bad beer by any stretch, but well down the list of barrel-aged barleywines I'd want to drink. I struggled a bit through my 4oz, as the alcohol is pretty fierce at this stage. I can imagine this being quite enjoyable in 6-12 months and will likely revisit my evaluation, but in my opinion this beer is definitely not an A+.

11-28-2011 16:20:45 | More by MasterSki
jmarsh123

Indiana

3.93/5  rDev -10.3%

Big thanks to d4radio for the bottle!

Pours a cloudy murky caramel brown with just a small ring of off-white head.

Aroma is definitely sweet. Whiskey, oak, vanilla, molasses and toffee all come through.

Malts again at the forefront of the flavor. Definitely can tell this is the style from across the pond. Loads of sweet caramel with vanilla, oak, raisins and a slight undertone of whiskey. Whiskey is just a touch hot.

Thick and luscious mouthfeel. Got a tad cloying at times, but in general did a good job of hiding the alcohol and keeping sweetness in check.

I love me some barleywine and this one is a good one. Not sure what whiskey was used for this, but it's one of the better ones I've had. It compliments the base beer instead of overpowering it even at a young age.

01-17-2012 22:14:09 | More by jmarsh123
Treebs

3.93/5  rDev -10.3%

22 oz. bottle served in a Deschute tulip. Big Thanks to Andrew (nasty31) for the share.

A: Pours a dark and cloudy rub color with a tan ring forming on the pour. Splotches of lace are left down the glass.

S: Spicy rye whiskey is up front. Dark fruits, mostly raisins, with a subtle roasted malt undertone. The majority of the nose is dominated by the whiskey. It even drowns out the rest of the barrel.

T: Some fruity esters and spice from the whiskey. Raisiny dark fruit flavors with some sweet candied sugar. The whiskey isn't harsh, but it is overbearing at times.

M: Medium bodied, a tad thin for my liking, with a medium to low carbonation.

O: While I certainly like this I had this side by side with King Henry and had Hi-Fi Rye a little afterwards. This just didn't hold up to the big guys IMO.

08-15-2012 20:54:50 | More by Treebs
Rhettroactive

District of Columbia

From 22oz bomber to snifter on 11/29/11

-- Many thanks for cracking this one, Johnny --

A: Rich crimson amber. It's got a clarity to it that's surprising. Not nearly as dark and brooding as I'd hoped. I pour down the center of the glass and in return I get a frail .5 finger head. It fades quickly and yields zero lacing. Luckily there's a decent collar rimming the snifter.

S: Killer. Just mounds and mounds of toasted coconut, warm vanilla, booze and sipping whiskey.

T: Delicious, yet out of balance. The characteristics of a quality barleywine aren't up front, it's literally a bourbon bomb from the start. Which is a-ok by me, as this isn't overly hot by any means. What this lacks is the rich, syrupy essence, the real soul and spirit of a top notch Barleywine. In the end, I'm a whiskey fanatic, so I find this absurdly approachable for such a young barrel aged brew.

M: I get the feeling that the barrel really did a number on this. It's thin, like a traditional casked ale. I'll say that the thinner body allows this to be much more quaffable. Yet I want more from this, as I crave a more textured and layered offering.

O: Dry Docks Bligh's Barleywine is a really top notch beer, one where I can actually understand some of the hype. But stepping back from it, and looking at all the components, this barrel aged barleywine is pretty unbalanced, and it simply doesn't reach the upper echelon of the style. Worth trading for? Without question, just keep your whitest of whales at bay.

11-30-2011 01:47:03 | More by Rhettroactive
FosterJM

1163rd Review on BA
Bottle to Snifter
22oz

2012 Vintage
Thanks to Poonamibaxter for sending this to me.

Shared with GuruDel, JazzPatel, MrHirschybar & BdubleEdubleRUN

App- Had more of a darker richer brown then some orange highlights from the barrel. Same type of bubbles though. No real head or cling.

Smell- I enjoyed the smell of this one but I think Bourbon would've been a better choice. The whiskey did a nice job of adding some heat and other flavors but too prickly.

Taste- This opened quite nice with a rich oaky, vanilla flavor. Then moved to a small malt note and even some hidden citrus. The whiskey was assertive but not overpowering being a new bottle.

Mouth- A solid medium body with a medium creamy carbonation and a lot of bourbon boozy oaky vanilla residual flavor.

Drink- Good beer but think the Whiskey couldve been switched out for Bourbon. Too prickly for my tastes really.

03-19-2012 18:08:01 | More by FosterJM
zeff80

Missouri

3.98/5  rDev -9.1%

A - Poured out a clear, golden amber color with a small, thin, white head of bubbly foam. It left sudsy trails of lace on the glass.

S - It smelled sweet and malty with boozy notes.

T - Very boozy - you can really taste whiskey-like flavors. Sweet caramel and toffee with just a touch of bitterness.

M - It was crisp and fairly sharp. A full bodied ale with a warm alcohol punch.

O - This is a really tasty brew. Dry Dock does such amazing beer. I need to find more.

03-31-2012 01:59:11 | More by zeff80
HopHead84

12/02/2011

Bottle shared by Javier at Strong Ale 2011.

A: Dark reddish brown with a small beige head.

S: Dark toffee blends with brown sugar, caramel, and a pleasant vanilla profile. Whiskey is pronounced, and I get big booze and oak notes. Dark fruit reminds me of plum and prune.

T: Rich toffee with a little brown sugar. Whiskey is well integrated. There's a decent amount of alcohol heat blending with strong oak notes. The finish is fusel alcohol, caramel, and whiskey.

M: Upper medium in body with moderate carbonation.

Overall: Good, but nothing really sets it apart or pushes it above the B+ range.

12-06-2011 01:28:22 | More by HopHead84
Thorpe429

Bottle courtesy of kkrez. Served in a SAVOR wine glass.

Pours a medium brown color with a good off-white head and a nice bit of a tan collar. The nose carries some pretty good bourbon with some caramel in the background. Flavor carries a nice bit of bourbon and oak with caramel there as well. Not too many characters but a great combination. Quite well done, but not an amazing bourbon barrel barleywine, though that includes the best of the best.

12-18-2011 23:19:20 | More by Thorpe429
Sean9689

Bottle at DLD 2012...not sure who to thank.

A - Pours a mirky copper/brown color, off-white head, spotty lace.

S - Booze, dark fruits, caramel, burnt sugars, oak. I would say this needs a few more months, but still, it's very solid on the nose and there's nothing bad to say besides the higher level of alcohol.

T - Similar to the nose, the booze is up front followed by dark fruits, burnt sugars, light vanilla, and oak. The whisky is well-integrated but still too much right now...6-12 months will do this beer some huge good. Finish is sweet caramel and oak mixed with whiskey.

M - Medium body, good carbonation, creamy dark fruity finish.

O - My small pour was the perfect amount to enjoy this beer. Hard to really drink a bunch of this stuff (as with more BW's), but it's really coming a long nicely from when I had it fresh. I would say hold your bottles unless you really like a lot of booze in your BW's. In the very near future, this will be an amazing beer.

06-06-2012 16:50:37 | More by Sean9689
ehammond1

4.05/5  rDev -7.5%

Bottle (2011)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, quirkzoo!

Blind Tasting and Review

(Aged for 6 months)

Clear, dark auburn and chestnut in color with a very small light brown head. This leaves the glass relatively clean on the way down.

Nice, rich aroma of vanilla, caramel, toffee, and bourbon. This smells sweeter than most of the other barrel-aged barleywines in the lineup.

The flavor follows the aroma, though is significantly sweeter than many of the others in the blind barrel-aged barleywine lineup. There's nice vanilla and bourbon character, though the base beer seems like it's probably somewhat lacking.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Silky.

A very nice, somewhat sweet, barrel-aged barleywine.

04-26-2012 22:12:00 | More by ehammond1
brystmar

4.1/5  rDev -6.4%

Thanks Mac! 2011 bottle.

Brown body, particularly when compared to a stout alongside. No head or lace, but that's fine. Aroma is mostly boozy & ethanol; lacks complexity. Disappointing.

Caramelized malts start to finish. Tastes like those clearly wrapped caramels melted down and mixed with booze. Kinda one-dimensional, but that singular quality is really damn good.

Delicious, though I prefer the Kuhnhenn BBBW.

08-25-2012 23:31:27 | More by brystmar
alexipa

Colorado

4.1/5  rDev -6.4%

A: Dark reddish brown with no head at all.

S: Toffee, sugar, whiskey, lots of raisin/dark fruits. Really great smell, best part of this one.

T: Lots of whiskey comes through. Nice sweet malty backend with hints of toffee and caramel, maybe a bit of vanilla. Whiskey dominates though.

M: Very hot, but nicely carbonated. Thin body, almost watery. Tastes ALL of 10%, but yet is very smooth.

O: Pretty good. I have to admit I expected more and am a bit disappointed for what I spent. Not worth seeking out to me, but worth picking up a bottle if you happen to find it.

12-14-2012 03:38:19 | More by alexipa
billshmeinke

4.13/5  rDev -5.7%

Pours a dark amber/brown color. Half a finger of off white head. Great lacing and retention.

Smells of caramel, oak, vanilla, brown sugar.

Taste follows smell. Caramel, toffee, some brown sugar, oak, vanilla, some ripe berry notes and cloves on the finish.

Mouthfeel is a touch thin for the style. Low carbonation. Pretty sticky.

Pretty solid, but I definitely wouldn't trade for it again. Not to say that I don't think it was worth trading for the first time. Worth trading for a bottle if you really like BA barleywines.

12-22-2011 00:15:08 | More by billshmeinke
scottfrie

4.13/5  rDev -5.7%

Thanks for the trade Exiled! Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a dirty murky mud color with almost no head. Reminds me of dark iced-tea.
S: Not as potent as I was expecting. I get some notes of caramel and whiskey. Alcohol vapors are noticeable.
T: Very smooth flavors of caramel, mellow whiskey barrel, vanilla, strong caramel and a hint of honey. I get a few fruit skins as well.
M: Thick body, viscous mouth, sweet but not cloying. Finish falls off with no burn. Very smooth.
O: One of the better BA barleywines I’ve encountered. Very rich but so easy to sip on. Thanks again, Exiled.

07-15-2012 18:21:44 | More by scottfrie
yourefragile

District of Columbia

4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

Shared by sideshowe at the Rosso release and by thorpe last night. 22 oz 2011 bottle.

Pours a murky dark brown with a thin tan head. Boozy, earthy aroma with a strong barrel presence. Strong caramel and toasted malt, vanilla, whiskey, and oak. Medium thick, chewy body with strong strong carbonation and a hot alcohol finish. Whiskey, vanilla, coconut, dry oak and raisin dominate the flavor. This is a nice take on the style, but the body is a little odd and it is very barrel forward this fresh. Sampling this immediately after King Henry amplified these flaws, but regardless this is well worth trying.

12-20-2011 01:47:39 | More by yourefragile
Bligh's Barleywine Ale from Dry Dock Brewing Co.